The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

ddrueding

Fixture
It's complicated, and I really can't talk about it. It is legal, and theoretically discretionary, but not optional in my current circumstances. Just a but frustrating as you might imagine.

As soon as my current tires wear out (soon) I'll be ordering those Forgestar wheels in the appropriate size along with a new set of Conti DS. No doubt a Stasis Chipping is in the near future as well.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sweet. I'd love to continue picking both of your brains (mmm....brains) on mods for the A3, and I don't want to derail this thread too much. Should I keep them here or put them elsewhere?

Stereodude

Not really a
Another thread is probably best so any one else interested can follow along instead of thinking we're still talking about S4's. :p

Handruin

Administrator
Sorry to hear of your legal situation. I hope it doesn't get any worse. You've certainly raised curiosity, but it sounds like a private matter to deal with. If you need anything let me know.

Handruin

Administrator
Found this little doc that has a decent amount of info on the engine. I wasn't aware that the 3.0L had a timing chain vs a timing belt. I like that.

Handruin

Administrator
I stopped by my local dealer today to put down the $500 refundable deposit but ended up not. They wrote up the paperwork for the deposit but wrote down I would be paying MSRP on the car. When I asked the sales drone about what that meant, she said since it's a new car, I have to pay MSRP. I had her rip up the paperwork and ended up leaving. I realize I'm at a disadvantage for ordering a new release vs having a plethora of cars on the lot, but my argument to her was that there are several other Audi dealers in the general area that I can go visit and that if they wanted to win my sale vs having me go to another dealership might be worth considering a negotiation vs writing down MSRP. After several trips back and forth to her manager I ended up leaving. Oh well, I may just end up waiting a while if it's only going to be MSRP. I'm not expecting crazy amounts off, but I'm not going to settle for MSRP.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
When ordering a custom car from the manufacturer, isn't it totally normal to have to buy at MSRP rather than being able to negotiate the price down? I rather view buying a car direct from the manufacturer as fundamentally different than buying from a dealer using their stock on hand (or what they can get from another nearby dealer).

Handruin

Administrator
It's possible. I've never ordered a custom car. Calling it custom seems a bit much, because it's just a car based on the available options. I'm just being stubborn and since this isn't a needed item, I can wait and see.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I can't say that my opinion is any more valid than yours. I have never bought one directly from a manufacturer either.

I view it as custom because it is being built to order by the manufacturer (regardless of whatever options are avail. or chosen) as opposed to what I would consider a normal car buying process which involves choosing from among whatever is locally in stock.

Stereodude

Not really a
When ordering a custom car from the manufacturer, isn't it totally normal to have to buy at MSRP rather than being able to negotiate the price down?
Well, I wouldn't pay MSRP for an ordered car. When I bought my Maxima I couldn't get any local dealer to budge from MSRP for an order, but they would sell a car off the lot for invoice. I ended up buying it from a dealer in Canada for less than MSRP and got a great deal due to a very favorable exchange rate at the time. However, in general a fair number of dealers will order cars for close to invoice unless there is a lot of demand for it. Some won't. A lot of people on the Audi forums have ordered S4's for $500-1000 over invoice. Unfortunately, the Audi dealers around me aren't exactly on that plan. The dealer I'm talking to offered up an S4 order for $1k under MSRP. I hope to push it to $1.5k and I will be happy given the local market.

Handruin

Administrator
I have 4 dealers somewhat near where I live, so I can go asking around to see what they're willing to do if anything on the price. There are also a dealers near where my folks live in CT that I can go check out when I've visiting them. I'm not expecting to get near invoice, but it would be nice to get some cash off the MSRP like you're being offered. The place that offered you $1K off, is that the place where you put the deposit down?

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I wouldn't settle for MSRP unless it was a rare vehicle supply was much higher than demand.
I can't think of a reason other than greed and because they think they have you that they should charge you MSRP.
They know you want the car, so they're trying to hold you over the coals. Luckily you have other dealer options.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
We ordered our 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport and didn't pay MSRP. Well we didn't order it exactly but put a deposit down on one they had coming in the next month.

Handruin

Administrator
I wouldn't settle for MSRP unless it was a rare vehicle supply was much higher than demand.
I can't think of a reason other than greed and because they think they have you that they should charge you MSRP.
They know you want the car, so they're trying to hold you over the coals. Luckily you have other dealer options.

I think this is exactly the reason. The fact I came in asking for a car that's yet to be released means inherently I want this car more than the average person. I don't think it's a rare car by any means...it's just rare at this moment. I'm willing to wait and shop around.

Handruin

Administrator
That would be great if the B&O and nappa are included. I'm trying to stay hopeful on the flat-bottom wheel. I like it but not enough to go aftermarket and get TD1ed. Sarcasm of course.

Stereodude

Not really a
I wouldn't draw any solid conclusions on the US P+ / Prestige standard features from the two Canadian packages and what comes standard on each. I did like that the adaptive headlights are optional on the lower trim level in Canada. Hopefully they'll be an option on the US P+ cars instead of being only standard on the Prestige.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm not. Just hopeful thinking. I'm not expecting much different from 2012.

Stereodude

Not really a
After seeing the order guide here's where I'm at.

• Premium+
  • Estoril Blue Crystal
  • Black/Silver Fine Nappa Leather
  • Nav / MMI+
  • Advanced Key
  • Sports Differential
  • Adaptive Damping Suspension
  • B&O
  • Black Carbon Fiber Trim from oCarbon

Handruin

Administrator
I'll have to check it out later. I'm at PAX East expo this weekend. I took a picture of the western digital booth and person for Meecutio.

Thanks for posting the ordering guide. I hope there is good news in it.

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like B&O was standard now? Did you place your order with your SA already? Is the ADS worth having?

Stereodude

Not really a
Looks like B&O was standard now? Did you place your order with your SA already? Is the ADS worth having?
B&O is not standard on Premium+, but is on Prestige (like MY12). I did not place an order yet. The dealer I've been working with doesn't have any S4 build slots allocated to them yet. I suppose in theory they could place an order in the system, but it will just sit in limbo until they have build slots. I think Adaptive Damping Suspension will be worth it (not to be confused with Audi Drive Select). In the UK it's a $400 option (after currency conversion). I figure it should be $500 or less in the US. Basically you can change the stiffness of the shocks / struts. So if you're out cruising you can have the soft plush ride, and if you're out carving corners you can have a stiff ride.

FWIW, someone on Audiworld reported placing an order as their dealer already had S4 build slots allocated to them.

Handruin

Administrator
I had a hard time reading the guide on my phone. I thought it was standard, no big deal. I'm happy with the option layouts. I'm also glad to see the flat bottom steering wheel. The adaptive dampening does sound ideal. I didn't want the drive select, so having this option without it sounds ideal.

I read the thread on AZ that someone had ordered already which is why I asked if you had done so already. I'll have to stop by a different dealer this coming week and see what their options are now that the guide is available.

Stereodude

Not really a
Nope. A number of the other cars remove that interior option when you select the Ibis White.
In the US the S4 has no restrictions on any interior / exterior color combinations. Canada on the other hand has restrictions on interior / exterior color combinations.

Stereodude

Not really a
Today was an interesting S4 related day.

The good:
  • The local dealer I was working with got their first build M2013 S4 slot
  • Someone I know works for Audi and got me a Friends + Family Certificate (discount pricing)
The bad:
  • The local dealer I was working with won't accept a Friends + Family Certificate for an S car

So, I called around and found another local dealer who will accept a Friends + Family Certificate on a MY2013 S4 order, but I don't know if they have received any S4 order slots yet and if so, if I can get one of them. I have a VM in to the sales guy I spoke to earlier about it.

Handruin

Administrator
What kind of discount does the certificate get you? I'm guessing it'll be better than anything you could get now anyway. Congrats on finding the discount.

Stereodude

Not really a
What kind of discount does the certificate get you? I'm guessing it'll be better than anything you could get now anyway. Congrats on finding the discount.
According to Audi it's $300 over invoice.

To further complicate things, after I told dealer #1 I was walking because another local dealer would accept the certificate they decided they were willing to accept it as well. :frusty: Since they had my deposit and I had their first S4 allocation I called 2nd dealer, thanked them, apologized a few times, and went forward with dealer #1. My order goes in tomorrow making the first wave cutoff. Expected delivery for the car is end of June / beginning of July.

Stereodude

Not really a
Here's what I ordered:
  • Premium+
  • 6MT
  • Estoril Blue Crystal
  • Black/Silver Fine Nappa Leather
  • Nav / MMI+
  • Advanced Key
  • Sports Differential
  • Adaptive Damping Suspension
  • B&O
  • Guard all-weather floor mats and trunk liner
  • Without front license plate holder

I plan to get CF trim from oCarbon.com later. I was tempted by the Stainless Steel Mesh inlays since it includes a Piano Black instrument panel surround. Unfortunately, it also include a Piano Black center console trim piece (by the shifter / MMI controls) which will be a "wear" disaster. Plus I didn't want to pay twice for inlays (oCarbon + Audi trim). And, I'm not sure if Matt at oCarbon can rework the piano black piece with CF like he can the wood or metal ones.

Stereodude

Not really a
At $300 over invoice, I don't think even the nastiest of surprises would push you above an optimistic MSRP.
True, the biggest question in my mind is the Adaptive Damping Suspension. I don't think it will be $400 like it is in the UK, but that would be really nice if it was. Everything else I figure will be basically the same price as 2012 with the crystal paint being ~$750 instead of $475 for a normal pearl or metallic.