The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

ddrueding

Fixture
I like the matte black as well, I don't think there is any way to get that with a power coat finish, though.

Edit: And that blue is really nice.

Stereodude

Not really a
I had centering rings many years ago on my first car that I put after-market wheels on. They did exactly as you said which was to center the wheel and weren't a big deal. I believe those were made of plastic. Is plastic still common for rings today or do people use metal ones?
There are plastic and metal ones available. The plastic ones don't rust or corrode.

Have you decided on the size wheels and also the tires? I do like the F14s and I've seen pics of them in a 19x9, but I'm wondering if a drop is needed to get the full-blown look out of them.
I plan to do 18x8.5" with no drop. I'm not sure on the offset. The offset changes the weight, but it is at the center of the wheel so it has less impact.

This kind of look must have a drop happening with 19x9 in the F14:
dhdrs41s.jpg
There is definitely a drop in play there.

That is a significant drop. I would be seriously concerned about ride quality with that little suspension travel.
I'm sure there's a compromise to look "cool"... One I don't plan to make myself.

I like the matte black as well, I don't think there is any way to get that with a power coat finish, though.

Edit: And that blue is really nice.
I'm pretty sure that car's not blue, but a grey. Also, why couldn't you get a matte powder coated finish? I don't know if Forgestar offers matte PC or not, but matte PC finishes definitely exist.

Handruin

Administrator
Why not 19" rather than 18" if you're going to get aftermarket wheels? I'm ignorant to what offset is. Is there a good guide describing it?

Handruin

Administrator
This looks like the stock ride height with 20" wheels. It looks too big though.
P1010677_re.jpg

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
Why not 19" rather than 18" if you're going to get aftermarket wheels?
19" and tires wheels weigh more, 19" wheels cost more, and 19" 255/35/19 tires are quite a bit more expensive than 18" 245/40/18 tires. In addition 19" tires are more likely to be damaged due to less sidewall.

I'm ignorant to what offset is. Is there a good guide describing it?
Offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the surface that bolts to the hub.

This looks like the stock ride height with 20" wheels. It looks too big though.
Your picture doesn't load. It tells us to visit teamspeed.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handruin

Administrator
19" and tires wheels weigh more, 19" wheels cost more, and 19" 255/35/19 tires are quite a bit more expensive than 18" 245/40/18 tires. In addition 19" tires are more likely to be damaged due to less sidewall.

Offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the surface that bolts to the hub.

Your picture doesn't load. It tells us to visit teamspeed.com.

Good points on the 19" wheels and tires.

Here is the car I tried linking to:
P1010677_re.jpg

Stereodude

Not really a
Here is the car I tried linking to:
View attachment 409
That wheel gap doesn't look bad. I'm not sure if it's been lowered any or not though. It might have a slight drop.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the black wheels with the brushed mirror caps and chrome trim though. If it was a Ti package with blacked out trim and body colored mirror caps it would look better IMHO.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm pretty sure that car's not blue, but a grey. Also, why couldn't you get a matte powder coated finish? I don't know if Forgestar offers matte PC or not, but matte PC finishes definitely exist.

Could be grey, but it is certainly a tone compressed image, so not trustworthy for such things. I've never seen a matte PC, so I didn't know they existed.

ddrueding

Fixture
19" and 20" wheels also give you less sidewall and a much harsher ride, in addition to weighing more costing more and being more fragile. Going from the stock A3 suspension and 17" wheels on my wife's car to the Ti (lower) suspension and 18" wheels on mine was a significant change. I wouldn't be willing to go much further, the ride would be intolerable for a sedan.

Handruin

Administrator
That's good feedback also. I've never had 18" wheels in a car, let alone 19"...so I have no reference to ride quality. or lack there of.

Stereodude

Not really a
That's good feedback also. I've never had 18" wheels in a car, let alone 19"...so I have no reference to ride quality. or lack there of.
I had 245/40/18 tires on 18x8 wheels on my Maxima for years. I don't think I'd want to go to a lower profile tire / larger wheel though I'm not sure how much of a comparison you can draw between completely different cars.

Handruin

Administrator
I had 245/40/18 tires on 18x8 wheels on my Maxima for years. I don't think I'd want to go to a lower profile tire / larger wheel though I'm not sure how much of a comparison you can draw between completely different cars.

Then who's to say 19" on the S4 would be harsh? Doesn't the Ti package come with 19" wheels or offer it as an option?

Stereodude

Not really a
Then who's to say 19" on the S4 would be harsh? Doesn't the Ti package come with 19" wheels or offer it as an option?
Well, I didn't say it would be harsh. I said I didn't want a lower profile tire / larger wheel. I provided my reasoning above. The fact that Audi sells the S4 with 19" wheels is irrelevant to me.

Stereodude

Not really a
Estoril Blue Pearl Effect is reportedly a US MY2013 S4 color that I previously hadn't seen any pictures of. I just came across some pictures of a Estoril Blue Pearl Effect S7.

It's quite a bit different from the BMW color by the same name but I like it.

Handruin

Administrator
Estoril Blue Pearl Effect is reportedly a US MY2013 S4 color that I previously hadn't seen any pictures of. I just came across some pictures of a Estoril Blue Pearl Effect S7.

It's quite a bit different from the BMW color by the same name but I like it.

I like it also. I'd love to see it in person.

Stereodude

Not really a
*sigh* So, apparently the stereotypes of Audi drivers are indeed true, at least for some subset of the owners. Joining the ranks of the conceited snobs on Audizine by buying a S4 isn't exactly what I'm after. :tdown:

Handruin

Administrator
*sigh* So, apparently the stereotypes of Audi drivers are indeed true, at least for some subset of the owners. Joining the ranks of the conceited snobs on Audizine by buying a S4 isn't exactly what I'm after. :tdown:

Haha I was just about to post and tease you about making friends with the local Audi owners. I don't think a single thread of people discussing tires is representative as a whole. They are indeed a bit whacked for making an argument that since the OEM tires are $400...blah blah blah. The OEMs on my current care were ~$250 and they were garbage.

Stereodude

Not really a
Haha I was just about to post and tease you about making friends with the local Audi owners. I don't think a single thread of people discussing tires is representative as a whole. They are indeed a bit whacked for making an argument that since the OEM tires are $400...blah blah blah. The OEMs on my current care were ~$250 and they were garbage.
I guess there are a few of them who have their nose all out of joint over the fact I wasn't down with the APR rocks groupthink or the lower it and put it on 20's groupthink. And, I dared to suggest that the DSG is an automatic transmission. Regardless, I think Audizine has to be the least friendly car forum I've surfed.

ddrueding

Fixture
I guess there are a few of them who have their nose all out of joint over the fact I wasn't down with the APR rocks groupthink or the lower it and put it on 20's groupthink. And, I dared to suggest that the DSG is an automatic transmission. Regardless, I think Audizine has to be the least friendly car forum I've surfed.

I don't go anywhere but here anymore. I do Slashdot, but keeping in mind the cattle mentality combined with the (charitably) crassness that anonymity brings out in some people.

APR does seem to be the most user-friendly of the aftermarket companies, and has the most comprehensive selection. Note that neither of these specifically states anything about the quality of their products; I'm not knowledgeable enough about these things to make that kind of determination.

And 20"s are ridiculous. Around here there are many cars lowered with giant rims, and the ride is so bad as to be observable from another car.

Handruin

Administrator

I'm lurking 99% of the time on Audizine and I've seen the back and forth discussions you've gone through with others on several different topics. For whatever it's worth, I agree with several of the points you make, but it's more about how you made them or rather how they may be received through a text-based forum where I can see the resistance from others in their established community. You do have a way of pointing out facts (and sometimes opinions) to people in a way that makes them defensive because of the reflection of stupidity and through a passive aggressive nature.

Stereodude

Not really a
I should point out that the weights I previously posted for the 18" Forgestar F14 wheels are not correct. Those weights are commonly quoted all over the web, but are from the previous versions of the wheels which were only tested to 1200lbs. The current version is tested (JWL VIA) to 1520lbs. A 18x8.5 with an offset of +48mm is 18.47lbs.

forgestarjwlvia.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
Something about it looks out of proportion, like it's got too much butt behind the rear wheels. Maybe it's the somewhat odd design of the D-pillar.

I really like it. Something about the relationship between the rear fender and the transition from roof to D-pillar.

Stereodude

Not really a
In other news one of the car salesmen I worked with at a local Buick dealer decided to call me out online after passing on the Regal GS after test driving it. Of course he does this 2+ months later...

FWIW, I suppose I somewhat goaded him into it because I was all over him because his story, after trashing the car in his posting, had more holes in it than a block of Swiss cheese. He was hiding behind a screen name refusing to clarify where he actually worked and what his relationship was with the dealer in his postings and I was giving it to him over it.

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't see many of the options for the German 2013 S4 that I would have expected like in the US...things like the sports diff or different trim options. None the less, I like it with these wheels and the estoril blue.
s4_estoril_blue.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
In other news one of the car salesmen I worked with at a local Buick dealer decided to call me out online after passing on the Regal GS after test driving it. Of course he does this 2+ months later...

FWIW, I suppose I somewhat goaded him into it because I was all over him because his story, after trashing the car in his posting, had more holes in it than a block of Swiss cheese. He was hiding behind a screen name refusing to clarify where he actually worked and what his relationship was with the dealer in his postings and I was giving it to him over it.

Was he trolling you online because you didn't buy the car? Lamest dude ever.

Stereodude

Not really a
Was he trolling you online because you didn't buy the car? Lamest dude ever.
I'm not sure entirely sure. The story continue to unfold on another forum. He claims I went in pretended to be interested in the car when I wasn't so I could prove him wrong on the internet and then lied about my test drive on the internet, that I ducked repeated attempts from the dealership to contact me, etc...

ddrueding

Fixture
Interesting. I had a VW sales dude go nuts on me once as well, though it was in person. The manager ended up sending him home until I was finished buying the car. That is a weird business to be in.

Stereodude

Not really a
I noticed some interesting details today in this press material from the Detroit Auto Show about the 2013 S4.

Audi said:
All interior colors – except black – have been re-coordinated and the upholstery range has been revised with Fine Nappa leather. Inlays are now available in Aluminum Trigon, Walnut dark brown, fine grain Ash natural, and layered Oak

• Re-coordinated interior colors and revised upholster range, with Fine Nappa leather replacing Silk Nappa leather on S4
  • New inlays: Layered Oak, and fine grain Ash natural (matte finish)

Handruin

Administrator
I noticed some interesting details today in this press material from the Detroit Auto Show about the 2013 S4.

I'm not up to date on my Nappa leather. Is Fine Nappa better than Silk, or the other way around? Earlier in this thread I posted that there might be a difference in leather options with Valcona leather, but it wasn't Fine Nappa.

Are the new inlays in addition to the existing or replacing or the only options? If it's the only options, I'll pass on them for now unless if some pictures pop up on the net between now and when ordering can occur.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm not up to date on my Nappa leather. Is Fine Nappa better than Silk, or the other way around? Earlier in this thread I posted that there might be a difference in leather options with Valcona leather, but it wasn't Fine Nappa.
I don't know if Fine Nappa Leather is better than Silk Nappa Leather or not. I'd like to think Audi has upgraded their materials, but I'd guess they're probably comparable.

Are the new inlays in addition to the existing or replacing or the only options? If it's the only options, I'll pass on them for now unless if some pictures pop up on the net between now and when ordering can occur.
Those are probably the A4 inlays. The European brochure shows the carbon fiber and stainless as being available on the S4.