The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

Stereodude

Not really a
I very much do. Matte black on a white car with the black trim kit, please.

What is the cost on those forgestar in the 18x9 (stock S4 size?)
18x9 is not the stock size. 18x8 is the stock size. The Forgestar F14 is not available in a 18x8, but is in a 18x8.5. It's around $1500 for a set in a standard painted finish. I suspect you'd want to pay extra for a powder coated finish.

Stereodude

Not really a
I noticed a subtle detail in one of the 2013 S4 press releases that Audi is changing the leather from Nappa to Valcona leather. I have no idea how accurate this information is, but I'm curious what either of you know about it? My limited research doesn't really indicate the differences, but from what I read Nappa leather is usually regarded as fairly high quality. Did either of you see this piece of info and have you heard of Valcona leather?
It seems highly unlikely to me. Valcona leather is an Audi Exclusive upgrade in Europe and it's even more expensive than the Silk Nappa Leather (quite a bit more). It just doesn't seem to jive with the way Audi sets up their models for the US, but I suppose anything is possible.

However, I'm more concerned with the "Fall" time frame they're listing for the S4 on the placard next to it at various auto shows. That doesn't agree with the material they provided the dealers back in early Jan.

Stereodude

Not really a
However, I'm more concerned with the "Fall" time frame they're listing for the S4 on the placard next to it at various auto shows. That doesn't agree with the material they provided the dealers back in early Jan.
So, I checked with the local dealer I've been working with and he told me they just got their May production allocation from Audi and there are no S4 build slots in it. That means, at least for them, a MY2013 S4 won't be built before June (and June is by no means confirmed). :tdown:

Handruin

Administrator
So, I checked with the local dealer I've been working with and he told me they just got their May production allocation from Audi and there are no S4 build slots in it. That means, at least for them, a MY2013 S4 won't be built before June (and June is by no means confirmed). :tdown:

Just to clarify does that mean there are 2013 S4 slots but none available for your dealer or does it mean they havent allocated any build slots to any dealer for the S4 because it isn't ready yet?

ddrueding

Fixture
How does this change your move? Will you get something else because the S4 is delayed?

Trading in my 2011 A3 is a bad financial idea; most of the depreciation has just happened, and not getting some more miles/time on it before selling it means I eat all the depreciation. As the depreciation has now slowed, driving it for a few more months while it is still basically new makes more financial sense.

The S4 is still my #1 choice, with the new allroad being #2 and possibly an Evora or Cayman being behind them. I'm still checking the used GT-R market as well, but I can afford to wait for the S4 and see what happens.

Stereodude

Not really a
Just to clarify does that mean there are 2013 S4 slots but none available for your dealer or does it mean they havent allocated any build slots to any dealer for the S4 because it isn't ready yet?
To answer your questions. I don't know. I haven't heard of any other dealers getting allocation on MY2013 S4s yet. Audi's reps at the various auto shows are telling people late July/August for deliveries.

However, for all I know Audi will do what VW did with the Golf R and offer up a late "surprise" last minute allocation of 1 per dealer (or similar).

Handruin

Administrator
To answer your questions. I don't know. I haven't heard of any other dealers getting allocation on MY2013 S4s yet. Audi's reps at the various auto shows are telling people late July/August for deliveries.

However, for all I know Audi will do what VW did with the Golf R and offer up a late "surprise" last minute allocation of 1 per dealer (or similar).

Wow, 1 per dealer isn't a lot. Sounds like the delivery might be more like fall of this year which is slightly annoying because it leave little time with the summer tires and good weather. :) Although, if winters remain like they have this year, it's not worth getting winter tires.

Stereodude

Not really a
Wow, 1 per dealer isn't a lot. Sounds like the delivery might be more like fall of this year which is slightly annoying because it leave little time with the summer tires and good weather. :) Although, if winters remain like they have this year, it's not worth getting winter tires.
Well, that's how VW started things out with the Golf R. Each dealer got 1 to start. Following Golf R allocations were/are made based on GTI sales.

Who knows what Audi will do on the S4... I would think they would want to get at least one to every dealer to start things off.

Handruin

Administrator
Well, that's how VW started things out with the Golf R. Each dealer got 1 to start. Following Golf R allocations were/are made based on GTI sales.

Who knows what Audi will do on the S4... I would think they would want to get at least one to every dealer to start things off.

Are you first in line at your dealer if they do get this allocation? I do find it surprising that they've already stopped orders for the 2012, so how long will this stock stick around and will they then have a low supply...seems odd. Something must be happening if my local Audi dealer is willing to work good deals on a 2012 when we're only 2 months into the year.

Stereodude

Not really a
Are you first in line at your dealer if they do get this allocation?
Supposedly I am...
I do find it surprising that they've already stopped orders for the 2012, so how long will this stock stick around and will they then have a low supply...seems odd. Something must be happening if my local Audi dealer is willing to work good deals on a 2012 when we're only 2 months into the year.
Yeah, the whole thing is a little odd. FWIW, The facelifted model is a MY2012 in Europe. As such they likely needed to shut down production of the pre-facelift model a little early for the US. Though you would think that with a temporary lack of supply they wouldn't be so eager to dump the 2012's. However, it does have the stigma of being the old model. That's working against them at the same time.

In addition they're racing the new BMW 3 series launch, although those have already shown up in dealer showrooms in the US.

Stereodude

Not really a
The 4.2L V8 in the last 2 gen S4's and B7 RS4 have this issue to a severe degree. The supercharged 3.0L V6 is reportedly much better. However, you should probably still do something like a BG 44K + BG ISC every 15k miles or so. Video demonstration
I should take this opportunity to point out that this is a BAD idea. Per some of the posters at Audizine Eaton strongly advises against putting any sort of induction cleaners through the supercharger since it will damage the coating(s) on the lobes/vanes of the supercharger rotors.

Here's a thread with 30k mile pictures from a B8 S4.

Handruin

Administrator
I should take this opportunity to point out that this is a BAD idea. Per some of the posters at Audizine Eaton strongly advises against putting any sort of induction cleaners through the supercharger since it will damage the coating(s) on the lobes/vanes of the supercharger rotors.

Here's a thread with 30k mile pictures from a B8 S4.

I was reading this last night in a different thread on AZ because someone said that the rotors in the SC are made of graphite or carbon fiber (I cannot confirm this) and of course any type of cleaner meant to remove carbon buildup...will of course begin to eat away and ruin the rotors in the SC. Thanks for posting that thread. That's great to see at least one example of an engine with 30K miles having little to no buildup of carbon.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, it looks like Nogaro Blue is "only" a $2500 Audi exclusive paint color. The guy with the 2012 B8 Nogaro S4 paid $2500 for it, not $6k. It is shown on the Audi UK configurator as an available Exclusive paint color.

nogaroblauperleffekt.jpg

Very very tempting...

Handruin

Administrator
It's certainly a nice color. I don't think I would justify spending on it for my own reasons. I feel like I'm already considering spending a bunch on this vehicle. If i were to add an additional $2500, I'd probably want to put it other places like nicer wheels or even a sportier exhaust. Even an upgraded set of rotors and calipers...but that's just dreaming of mods like lots of people do.

Stereodude

Not really a
It's certainly a nice color. I don't think I would justify spending on it for my own reasons. I feel like I'm already considering spending a bunch on this vehicle. If i were to add an additional $2500, I'd probably want to put it other places like nicer wheels or even a sportier exhaust. Even an upgraded set of rotors and calipers...but that's just dreaming of mods like lots of people do.
If I went with Nogaro Blue I'd keep the standard black on black alcantara / leather seats. So, overall the car wouldn't be that much more expensive vs the alternative configuration I'm considering. Monsoon grey is $475, Black / Magma Silk Nappa Leather is $1k, so in my case I'd be looking at $2500 on the appearance instead of $1475. If you're spending $50k+ what's another ~$1k to drive what you really want for 10 years?

FWIW, I made the "mistake" of setting an artificial and entirely self imposed price limit when I had my house built and now when I look back at it a few years later I can't for the life of me figure out why I was unwilling to spend a few % more on a few upgrades / modifications to the house that I didn't pursue. I don't plan to repeat history on the S4.

Config A:
  • Premium+
  • Monsoon Gray Metallic
  • Black/Magma Silk Nappa Leather
  • Nav / MMI+
  • Advanced Key
  • Sports Differential
  • B&O
  • Black Carbon Fiber Trim from oCarbon

Config B:
  • Premium+
  • Nogaro Blue Pearl Effect
  • Black/Black Leather/Alcantara
  • Nav / MMI+
  • Advanced Key
  • Sports Differential
  • B&O
  • Silver "Carbon Fiber" Trim from oCarbon

MSRP based on 2012 pricing, excluding the oCarbon trim, but including destination... Config A is $54,150 and Config B is $55,175.

ddrueding

Fixture
I pretty much have it spec'd in my head, depending on what the final feature list looks like:

White with black everything else. Every option. Should be around $63k.

ddrueding

Fixture
I sat in the CTS-V, and the quality of the materials you are surrounded by simply aren't as good. And a wagon that still doesn't have all the features I want is over $72k.

Handruin

Administrator
I pretty much have it spec'd in my head, depending on what the final feature list looks like:

White with black everything else. Every option. Should be around $63k.

Yikes! At ~$63k I'd be looking at a CTS-V wagon.

Yeah that's a bit higher than I was estimating also. This is what i was looking at using the 2012 pricing:

Config 1 ($54,100):
  • Premium+
  • 6MT
  • Phantom black (or maybe Ibis white)
  • Black Silk Nappa Leather
  • Nav / MMI+
  • Sports Differential
  • B&O
  • Carbon Fiber Trim

Config 2 ($ 53,625):
  • Premium+
  • 6MT
  • Ibis white
  • Black Silk Nappa Leather
  • Nav / MMI+
  • Sports Differential
  • B&O
  • Carbon Fiber Trim

Extras outside the actual car purchase will be roughly $1500 for wheels & tires and I've yet to form an opinion if the AudiCare is worth the money, but maybe that option if it seems worth the price.

Stereodude

Not really a
And a wagon that still doesn't have all the features I want is over $72k.
I guess I'm used to the GM employee pricing. A fully loaded 6MT CTS-V wagon with every possible option (including ridiculous & pointless ones) and the most expensive paint color is $67,309 right now.

Stereodude

Not really a
Extras outside the actual car purchase will be roughly $1500 for wheels & tires and I've yet to form an opinion if the AudiCare is worth the money, but maybe that option if it seems worth the price.
I expect to spend more than that on wheels and tires. :eek:wneddnce: You must be looking at some cheap wheels & winter rubber.

FWIW, I plan to pass on AudiCare. You save like $140 by prepaying the maintenance with AudiCare.

Handruin

Administrator
I expect to spend more than that on wheels and tires. :eek:wneddnce: You must be looking at some cheap wheels & winter rubber.

FWIW, I plan to pass on AudiCare. You save like $140 by prepaying the maintenance with AudiCare.

I'll probably end up doing the same; I just keep telling myself that I don't want to go more than $1500 on another set, but reality will likely be a different story. :)

WRT AudiCare, if it saves $140 by pre-paying...I'm guessing you're not planning on doing all the services (or doing them at Audi) or do you just not think the extra $140 is worth the savings?

Stereodude

Not really a
I'll probably end up doing the same; I just keep telling myself that I don't want to go more than $1500 on another set, but reality will likely be a different story. :)
Forgestar F14 18x8.5 with a powdercoated finish are about $1500. (no rubber)

WRT AudiCare, if it saves $140 by pre-paying...I'm guessing you're not planning on doing all the services (or doing them at Audi) or do you just not think the extra $140 is worth the savings?
Well, I plan to do the service myself.

ddrueding

Fixture
I think I'll be going with the Forgestar as well. The last time I was at the dealer I overheard a salesmen telling another customer that their old car was worth more at trade-in because all the services had been performed at the dealership. Does performing the service yourself affect the warranty in any way? Or do they need to prove that you did something incorrectly?

Stereodude

Not really a
The last time I was at the dealer I overheard a salesmen telling another customer that their old car was worth more at trade-in because all the services had been performed at the dealership.
I'm sure that isn't the first or last lie that salesperson told a customer that day. :rotfl:

Does performing the service yourself affect the warranty in any way? Or do they need to prove that you did something incorrectly?
Well, if push really came to shove you would probably want receipts and some sort of log showing what you did and when (like oil changes), but for the most part I would think they'd need to prove you did something incorrectly.

ddrueding

Fixture
18x9 is not the stock size. 18x8 is the stock size. The Forgestar F14 is not available in a 18x8, but is in a 18x8.5. It's around $1500 for a set in a standard painted finish. I suspect you'd want to pay extra for a powder coated finish.

Current best price I can find for the Forgestar F14 in 18x8.5 and the Pirelli PZero Nero AS 215/45-18 is $2260 after shipping. Anyone done better?

Stereodude

Not really a
What size is the S4? The site just recommended 215/45/18, 225/40/18 or 235/40/18 for that wheel.
What site was this? On a 18x8.5 wheel you should be running a 245/40/18 to match the diameter of the factory rubber. Not to mention a 215 is really too narrow for a 8.5" wheel.

ddrueding

Fixture
Some shopping site, I've lost it now. Those Forgestar wheels do look awesome, and have some technical cojones behind them, but they are hard to find at the larger outlets (tire rack, etc).

Stereodude

Not really a
Those Forgestar wheels do look awesome, and have some technical cojones behind them, but they are hard to find at the larger outlets (tire rack, etc).
Yeah, they're not available from the bigger players. FWIW, I'd recommend paying extra for a power coated finish. A PC finish should be a lot more durable than normal paint. Also keep in mind you need hubcentric rings with the Forgestar wheels since they don't have the appropriate 66.x mm centerbore.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yeah, they're not available from the bigger players. FWIW, I'd recommend paying extra for a power coated finish. A PC finish should be a lot more durable than normal paint. Also keep in mind you need hubcentric rings with the Forgestar wheels since they don't have the appropriate 66.x mm centerbore.

Wow, I had no idea that was even an issue. I thought that the wheels always hung from the lugs. Thanks for the info!

Stereodude

Not really a
Wow, I had no idea that was even an issue. I thought that the wheels always hung from the lugs. Thanks for the info!
Hubcentric rings are not load bearing. They're to center the wheels on the hub. The wheels are hung from the lugs. However, the lugs may not center the wheels to the hub alone. Hence the rings.

Also, most of the places selling the Forgestar wheels include the proper sized hubcentric rings with them. The rings are pretty small since the F14 has a 74.1mm centerbore and the B8 S4 has a 66.56mm hub. Apparently using rings is fairly common on wheels.

Handruin

Administrator
I had centering rings many years ago on my first car that I put after-market wheels on. They did exactly as you said which was to center the wheel and weren't a big deal. I believe those were made of plastic. Is plastic still common for rings today or do people use metal ones?

Have you decided on the size wheels and also the tires? I do like the F14s and I've seen pics of them in a 19x9, but I'm wondering if a drop is needed to get the full-blown look out of them.

This kind of look must have a drop happening with 19x9 in the F14:
dhdrs41s.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
The alternative may look like this:
b8s41s.jpg

It may just be the difference in the matte black versus the titanium finish. I much-prefer the matte black.