The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

Handruin

Administrator
I want to replace the lug bolts for my new wheels but I'm unsure how to check the measurements. They're conical lug bolts instead of the ball-end that come with the OEM wheels. I have a full set of the correct size so I can measure them to order the right ones, but what's the correct way to measure? Is it just the length of the threaded part?

The reason I want to replace them is the ones that were included with my wheels are painted black. When I changed out for my winter wheels this past fall, the paint had seized up with the wheel on several of them and I had to exert a lot of force on my breaker bar that I thought it might snap. I don't want this to happen again...which I suspect can be solved with a no-seize compound, but I'm concerned that the amount of torque I had to apply to them may have weakened them and don't want to risk anything.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If the bolts did not deform you should be fine. You would know if they deformed.

Don't these wheels rest on a center hub? If so the bolts don't have to be that tight.

Handruin

Administrator
They did not deform. They were tightened properly to 90ft/lb using my torque wrench. I had to jump on my breaker bar to get some of them to break free. I'm certain even if my torque wrench was out of spec I wouldn't have tightened them that much.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
That is a pain I'm glad I don't have to deal with regularly. Maybe thermal contraction locked some of them in tighter? Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question.