The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

Handruin

Administrator
That is awesome. I am quite envious at the moment.

I am the same. Any chance your friend has an extra friends and family certificate? :)

What's the deal with the front license plate holder? Does your registration require a front plate but you're not going to put it on? I was debating doing something like this but don't know what the options are for the front plate vs no front plate holder.

I didn't realize there was a first wave cutoff already for this car. Didn't the order guide just come out this weekend?! How could the first wave orders be cutoff already?

Stereodude

Not really a
I am the same. Any chance your friend has an extra friends and family certificate? :)
I'm not sure if there's a limit on certificates or how that all works... I'll see about asking him.

What's the deal with the front license plate holder? Does your registration require a front plate but you're not going to put it on? I was debating doing something like this but don't know what the options are for the front plate vs no front plate holder.
Michigan doesn't do front plates. I just want to make extra certain that I don't get a front license plate holder on the car since I think it looks a lot better without it.

vs.

I didn't realize there was a first wave cutoff already for this car. Didn't the order guide just come out this weekend?! How could the first wave orders be cutoff already?
I'm not 100% sure about the cutoff. It's my understanding that there is cutoff date to get an order in the first batch of S4's Audi builds and that cutoff is tomorrow. VW did something similar with the Golf R. The order guide came out and the order deadline for the first allocation was only a few days later. My guess is that any dealer that doesn't have a customer lined up will order one for the lot / showroom unless they don't know about it. The second dealer I talked to today didn't know the order guide was out until I told him about it. He also didn't seem aware they had any allocation until I asked and he investigated.

Handruin

Administrator
I know it's a stretch asking you to ask, but I would be eternally grateful if you could. :)

Mass does require front plates on modern registrations. Older generation plates (the green ones) didn't have the requirement that I'm aware of. I was debating just keeping the plate in the glove box and chancing it. I don't like the look of the front plate.

I'm going to call the other local dealers tomorrow to ask about the ordering information and to see if they're even aware the order guide is out. The first dealer I spoke to said they would call me, but they haven't yet. Either they don't know it's out yet, or they figure since I didn't put a deposit, they're not bothering to call.

Any idea when the next wave of orders may open since it's likely I'm missing the first cutoff if it's tomorrow.

Handruin

Administrator
Congrats. My plan is to talk to the dealer Friday if I have time. If they still have any order allotments maybe I can start my 3 month wait now also.

Handruin

Administrator
So you're going to move the summers over to the F14s until they wear out and then get the DWS or are the DWSs going on the stock wheels and some other tire on the F14s?

Handruin

Administrator
This is what I've finally decided to order. I couldn't decide on the color for a long time and after much debate about going with a dark car, I changed my mind.

Premium plus
Glacier white metallic
6MT
MMI
Sports Diff
Adaptive dampening suspension
Fine nappa leather in black
B&O sound
Advanced Key
Carbon trim
All weather mats and trunk liner
Front license plate holder

Stereodude

Not really a
This is what I've finally decided to order. I couldn't decide on the color for a long time and after much debate about going with a dark car, I changed my mind.

Premium plus
Glacier white metallic
6MT
MMI
Sports Diff
Adaptive dampening suspension
Fine nappa leather in black
B&O sound
Advanced Key
Carbon trim
All weather mats and trunk liner
Front license plate holder
That should be a nice understated setup with the white exterior and solid black interior! :cool:

I see we're getting the same options aside from the colors and the front plate. :beer:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I can't remember the other thread where the DWSs were discussed, but do you guys have difficulties getting your tires balanced? I require many more weights for the DWSs than the Goodyears that came off.

Handruin

Administrator
That should be a nice understated setup with the white exterior and solid black interior! :cool:

I see we're getting the same options aside from the colors and the front plate. :beer:

It was a bold change from my original thought of getting the Estoril Blue Crystal. I got to see two S4s side by side today. One with Ibis white, the other with Glacier white, and I was sold on the glacier. I guess I could call and change it, but I'm happy with the color option. I've never had a white car before.

Yes, I took some influence from you with some of your earlier statements. I agree that since I'm ordering it and having this for a while, I mine as well get everything I wanted. I got to see the advanced key, sports diff, and adaptive dampening suspension today during a test drive and was sold. Admittedly, I don't really remember the non-ADS and non-sports diff test drive that was last summer, but I liked everything about the car today that I didn't have to debate it.

I also discussed getting the non-front license plate grill and she told me people order that afterward and wasn't a big deal. She said I'd need the license plate on in order for the inspection to pass, so I didn't complicate things and just ordered it with the front license plate.

Handruin

Administrator
I can't remember the other thread where the DWSs were discussed, but do you guys have difficulties getting your tires balanced? I require many more weights for the DWSs than the Goodyears that came off.

Yes and no... My DWS haven't really balanced well, but it could likely be due to dents in my rims due to potholes. I can't arguable point fingers to say it is the tires, but I do know I have an off-balance wheel due to a dent. I've also noticed them getting slightly nosier now that they have some miles on them.

Handruin

Administrator
My 18x8.5 ET38 Forgestar F14's are now ordered.

I didn't think to ask, but what color wheels did you go with and where did you order them from?

Originally I thought black wheels for a white car, but I like the silver wheels better. I was thinking this is what I want to do with mine. I know this isn't an S4, but it should look fairly similar. The wheels are also 19" vs 18".

b8a4_shoot_080209_800_01.jpg

b8a4_shoot_080209_800_05.jpg

Stereodude

Not really a
I didn't think to ask, but what color wheels did you go with and where did you order them from?
I went with the Titanium finish. It's a $200 custom finish. I purchased them from ModBargains.

Originally I was going to get a brushed finish to complement the Brushed Aluminum look mirrors, but decided to pass when I found out the gloss clear on top of the brushed finish was not powdercoated.

ddrueding

Fixture
And of course Audi today sent me a full color catalog/photo book along with a $3000 discount certificate (standard practice, the first Audi we bought exactly 3 years ago).

Handruin

Administrator
Does the $3K apply to a new 2013 S4? Does that entice you enough to bring you back into the market for an S4, are you staying away and continuing with upgrading your current car?

Handruin

Administrator
I went with the Titanium finish. It's a $200 custom finish. I purchased them from ModBargains.

Originally I was going to get a brushed finish to complement the Brushed Aluminum look mirrors, but decided to pass when I found out the gloss clear on top of the brushed finish was not powdercoated.

I like the titanium finish on the F14s. I don't want to copy you again though. This S5 example looks really good with them. It takes off the edge of the shininess of the hyper silver.

I'm considering going 19". I know there are mostly cons not in favor of this. Is this the basic list of reasons:

Pros:
  • Subjectively looks nicer (personal preference)
  • handles better due to more tire surface area
  • less sidewall flex while cornering

Cons:
  • Costlier wheels
  • Costlier tires
  • More prone to damage from road problems/potholes
  • Heavier
  • Reduced HP due to weight
  • Possibly harsher ride
  • anything else?

main.php

Stereodude

Not really a
I like the titanium finish on the F14s. I don't want to copy you again though. This S5 example looks really good with them. It takes off the edge of the shininess of the hyper silver.
Feel free to copy me. It's not like you'll be parking next to me or we'll be seeing each other on the road.

As far as 19" vs. 18" that's up to you. I think you got the pro/con list pretty well filled out.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Pros:
  • handles better due to more tire surface area

At best an unmeasurable advantage on par with the tires lasting longer because there is more rubber.

Unless you actually get wider tires/rims. I did not check to see if the 19s are only wider than the 18s.

ddrueding

Fixture
Does the $3K apply to a new 2013 S4? Does that entice you enough to bring you back into the market for an S4, are you staying away and continuing with upgrading your current car?

No, I wish I could. If I could get the deal Stereodude got I would try, but it would still be a mistake financially. I've got another 1200mi before my next service, and about that long on my current set of Conti DW. When I take it in for the service I'll switch to the F14s (possibly with that titanium finish, it does look good). I'm also looking for a company that makes carbon fiber panels that look stock. Weight reduction won't void the drivetrain warranty.

Stereodude

Not really a
At best an unmeasurable advantage on par with the tires lasting longer because there is more rubber.

Unless you actually get wider tires/rims. I did not check to see if the 19s are only wider than the 18s.
Well, they would be 255's instead of 245's.

Handruin

Administrator
I put in a request to change the color of the car. :-D I stopped by a dealer this weekend and saw they had a 2012 S4 in glacier white with black interior. I liked it, but I want the Estoril blue. I have no idea if it's too late to change, but I'll know soon enough.

Handruin

Administrator
I put in a request to change the color of the car. :-D I stopped by a dealer this weekend and saw they had a 2012 S4 in glacier white with black interior. I liked it, but I want the Estoril blue. I have no idea if it's too late to change, but I'll know soon enough.

They changed my order. I'm getting a blue car now.

Stereodude

Not really a
They changed my order. I'm getting a blue car now.
Copycat! How long until you 2-tone the interior? :p

I've been looking into the price of getting some of the car covered in paint protection film (clear bra). :eek: The prices I have been quoted are higher than I was expecting. One shop wants $1700 for the front clip + mirrors covers with Avery Dennison Nano Fusion film and another $50 for the headlights and foglights also with Nano Fusion film. They wrap the edges of the film around panels where possible. A different shop wants $1825 for the front clip + mirrors covers with Xpel Ultimate film + $150 for headlights & foglights in Xpel headlight film. This shop doesn't wrap the edges of the film.

Now these are probably the two best and two most expensive films on the market, but I wasn't expecting such high prices. :scratch:

Handruin

Administrator
Copycat! How long until you 2-tone the interior? :p

I've been looking into the price of getting some of the car covered in paint protection film (clear bra). :eek: The prices I have been quoted are higher than I was expecting. One shop wants $1700 for the front clip + mirrors covers with Avery Dennison Nano Fusion film and another $50 for the headlights and foglights also with Nano Fusion film. They wrap the edges of the film around panels where possible. A different shop wants $1825 for the front clip + mirrors covers with Xpel Ultimate film + $150 for headlights & foglights in Xpel headlight film. This shop doesn't wrap the edges of the film.

Now these are probably the two best and two most expensive films on the market, but I wasn't expecting such high prices. :scratch:

Yeah, I'm copying you again. I was originally going to get Estoril blue, but decided against a darker color. I guess having time to debate it after looking at the car on the lot for a while, I knew I'd be happier with the blue. I'm still not a fan of the two-tone seats even with the silver. I saw another car with those over this weekend and it looks good, but I still prefer the all-black seats even if it there won't be a lot of contrast.

I haven't even looked into the protective film for the car. I never liked how it looked on cars I've seen it on, but it's possible they used the cheaper protective films or the work was done poorly. Is there a window of time that's best to put the protective film on the car with relation to paint curing or anything like that? I'm taking the obvious view that the earlier the better just to protect the paint before debris hits the car.

Stereodude

Not really a
Is there a window of time that's best to put the protective film on the car with relation to paint curing or anything like that? I'm taking the obvious view that the earlier the better just to protect the paint before debris hits the car.
Yeah, the minute you take possession of the car so you can get it on before any chips happen. My plan is pretty much to drive straight from the dealer to the shop that will put the film on the car (avoiding freeways and traffic).

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah, the minute you take possession of the car so you can get it on before any chips happen. My plan is pretty much to drive straight from the dealer to the shop that will put the film on the car (avoiding freeways and traffic).

Don't some cars travel on the car carrier with a film on the panels? Maybe get the dealer to leave it on.

Stereodude

Not really a
That'll work. Paint chips or pride, pick one. :)
I'm guessing it's not close to legal to drive on the road with that cover on the car. On top of that there is no way I would buy the car covered. What happens when you take the cover off (after leaving the dealer lot) and find a surprise (damage)?

Handruin

Administrator

I can confirm this is how they ship. The dealer I visited Sunday had a bunch of their cars still in the protective cover out back in an overflow lot. They also had 6 A8Ls worth roughly $98K each. They had an R8 GT on one side of the showroom and a basic R8 on the other side. The R8 GT was sick looking. Too bad the dealer was closed. I tried getting pictures through the window but there was too much reflection. :-/

Handruin

Administrator
Pics from Sunday at the dealer I stopped by. The photos of the R8 were inside, so they had horrible glare through the window. I loved the wheels on this car and the brakes were pretty nice two-piece ceramic.

R8_GT_01.jpg
R8_GT_02.jpg
R8_GT_03.jpg
R8_GT_04.jpg

These two are the glacier white 2012 S4 sitting out back. It had almost everything I was looking for except the sports diff and carbon trim.
2012_S4_01.jpg
2012_S4_02.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
I'd say other choice words like he can chew on a bag of dicks, but that wouldn't be nice. I'm just more enamored at how upset that person is over a forum thread...in which he hates...yet, as you said, he's a moth to a flame and can't ignore it. Where's my popcorn icon.