Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sorry to hear that. The only good news I can see is that, if all your health issue posts so far were accurate, you'd be dead 2 or 3 times already. May this one also fail to kill you ;)

I was unable to have it done since there was a flight cancellation. I'm screwed, but that is not even the worst thing this week. :crucified:

LunarMist

Having driven a nail through my own foot before, I can recommend using an air gun instead of the old fashioned way. Far less painful and less blood.

No, this is much worse than a nail through the foot would normally be.

Handruin

Administrator
No, this is much worse than a nail through the foot would normally be.

Best of luck to you on whatever ailment you're going through. I'm unsure what else to say or offer other than I hope things improve. If you need something let us know.

ddrueding

Fixture
With something as volatile as crypto currencies, the question for me would be how long before the equipment pays for itself? After that ROI becomes less important, but the thing needs to exist long enough to cash out. Then it can be just a game.

Handruin

Administrator
With something as volatile as crypto currencies, the question for me would be how long before the equipment pays for itself? After that ROI becomes less important, but the thing needs to exist long enough to cash out. Then it can be just a game.

I'd say 3-5 months for the equipment to pay for itself depending on how carefully the money was spent and if it's even possible to find AMD graphics cards at MSRP. To me that is the ROI.

Stereodude

Not really a
I decided to try out OpenOffice after my home use MS Office Pro 2003 key wouldn't activate any more times. It's not like I paid much for the home use version of office, but MS just lost a user. For my uses I think OO will be just fine. I can now get 2013 for free from my current job, but I'm just not interested.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Consistently, the biggest problem I have found with OpenOffice is something less than 100% compatibility for complex Excel stuff. Granted that I can (and do) make things in Word that don't work right either, but it's enough of a headache that I usually don't bring it up unless someone asks me about it. It's entirely functional and works fine for anything created entirely within OpenOffice.

I tell people all the damned time that there's probably no reason to stick with Windows and MS Office at home unless they're gamers.

Stereodude

Not really a
I had a company pester me a few times via Linkedin about a job opportunity and today they had someone I know do the "get introduced" thing Linkedin offers. I politely told them I didn't think they could afford me, and asked what the salary range of the position was. This should be worth some laughs.

LunarMist

I'm bleeding from four different places on the body. It's a new record.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I decided to try out OpenOffice...
Any reason why you've decided to go with the almost-forgotten OpenOffice suite instead of LibreOffice, which has more support and is maintained by the bunch of folks who started OpenOffice, but then decided to give Oracle the finger and forked to LibreOffice? I know that OpenOffice has been shipped to the Apache foundation, but the people who are now behind it are not those who originally started the project. The new release pace is much slower than LibreOffice's.

Stereodude

Not really a
Any reason why you've decided to go with the almost-forgotten OpenOffice suite instead of LibreOffice, which has more support and is maintained by the bunch of folks who started OpenOffice, but then decided to give Oracle the finger and forked to LibreOffice? I know that OpenOffice has been shipped to the Apache foundation, but the people who are now behind it are not those who originally started the project. The new release pace is much slower than LibreOffice's.
I didn't know about LibreOffice. I'll have to check it out.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd say 3-5 months for the equipment to pay for itself depending on how carefully the money was spent and if it's even possible to find AMD graphics cards at MSRP. To me that is the ROI.

Agree with Doug on this. The payoff can be quick but the equipment has jumped in price a lot lately. I am thinking about selling a 270 for $100 profit, itself. Back when I was on vacation, my 4 Mh/s setup was getting me close to $60 per day. Here's my main 6x rig in the pic below. I built the frame myself based on pictures of another one I saw on eBay. I have three more cards running in two other PCs...my WHS has 2 cards and and a single card in an old Lenovo PC put out to pasture.

6x270.jpg

Stereodude

Not really a
I had a company pester me a few times via Linkedin about a job opportunity and today they had someone I know do the "get introduced" thing Linkedin offers. I politely told them I didn't think they could afford me, and asked what the salary range of the position was. This should be worth some laughs.
And a 3rd person from the same company contacted me today about the same job. I sent them the same basic reply as the 2nd person. I'm going to need popcorn at this rate.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I didn't know about LibreOffice. I'll have to check it out.

I didn't know about it either. Googled and found this.

I got this error:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.libreoffice.org, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

Guess it didn't like HTTPS? Or I screwed up a setting somewhere.

pfrcom

What is this storage?
Those mining rigs remind me of reading about gold rushes of the 19th century, that most fortunes were made by those provisioning the miners

Now similar fortunes are being made by hardware vendors and power companies

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I installed LibreOffice only a short while ago and I already have a pretty low opinion of it. Basic functionality is missing. Like it can not open a .txt file into Calc. Both Excel and OpenOffice's Calc will both open a .txt file and let you chose how to delimit it. I shouldn't have to rename the file to a .csv first.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
FWIW, I have no problem connecting to https://www.libreoffice.org/ with Firefox 27.0.1

Likewise, no issue with Chromium either.

Chromium Version 32.0.1700.107 Ubuntu 13.10 (32.0.1700.107-0ubuntu0.13.10.1~20140204.972.1)

Re: Libreoffice, can you display the certificate being presented in FF, it might shed some clues to as to what is going on...

Here are the "Technical Details" from the error message I get when I attempt to connect to the HTTPS address:

www.libreoffice.org uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: www.documentfoundation.org , documentfoundation.org , *.documentfoundation.org (Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

I can't for the life of me find the certificate. I click the icon to the left of the address and click more info. Verified by: Not specified. "Connection not encrypted" and "www.libreoffice.org does not support encryption for the page you are viewing"

I also went to tools|options|advanced|certificates and then view certificates and can't see anything that looks like it belongs to Libreoffice? :scratch:

Do I not have a certificate?

@snowhiker Have you tried http://www.libreoffice.org/ instead of https://www.libreoffice.org/ (remove the S from HTTPS)

I can connect with the "non-secure" HTTP site. When I get to the download page and click the "Main Installer" link I get the download page then a few seconds later I get this error:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at mirrors.syringanetworks.net.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Once, instead of the above error I got a blank yellow page. The link for the download page is here. But nothing happens. No download.

"http://mirrors.syringanetworks.net/tdf/libreoffice/stable/4.2.1/win/x86/LibreOffice_4.2.1_Win_x86.msi"

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Any ideas? Thanks.

Well, I installed LibreOffice only a short while ago and I already have a pretty low opinion of it. Basic functionality is missing.

Stereodude is not impressed so maybe me not getting it was a good thing! LOL.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Well, I installed LibreOffice only a short while ago and I already have a pretty low opinion of it. Basic functionality is missing. Like it can not open a .txt file into Calc. Both Excel and OpenOffice's Calc will both open a .txt file and let you chose how to delimit it. I shouldn't have to rename the file to a .csv first.
It never came to my mind to try opening a .txt with a spreadsheet, probably because a .txt should be handled by something like Word, Writer, Notepad or similar. I don't consider a basic functionality for a spreadsheet to be able to handle text documents because there's another tool better adapted to do it.

I guess that when you don't want to like something, any detail can become an excuse. Oh well, if OpenOffice fits your needs better, then just use it. It is not a bad product, just not the one with the most effort put behind it.

ddrueding

Fixture
A number of specific programs that I need to deal with output CSV or other "hardly formatted" data formats with the extension .txt, so being able to open them in Calc would matter. But renaming to CSV wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

LunarMist

I'd not call that basic functionality, but a special need that some people have. Can't you get Excel through your workplace?

Stereodude

Not really a
A number of specific programs that I need to deal with output CSV or other "hardly formatted" data formats with the extension .txt, so being able to open them in Calc would matter. But renaming to CSV wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
It's ridiculous that you can't do a file, open from inside LibreOffice's calc and open a .txt file. However, you can right click on the file in Explorer and send it to Calc where it will then open it. A quick Google search shows plenty of other people with the same complaint.

Stereodude

Not really a
I guess that when you don't want to like something, any detail can become an excuse. Oh well, if OpenOffice fits your needs better, then just use it. It is not a bad product, just not the one with the most effort put behind it.
What the heck are you talking about? Where do you get the idea that I set out to not like it? It simply doesn't do what Excel can easily do. I often open delimited text files in a spreadsheet application and it is less than stellar in this use case.

pfrcom

What is this storage?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Snowhiker, you appear to be missing certificate(s) from StartCom. You should be able to export them from another browser and import them into Firefox.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Stereodude, I don't know what's going wrong for you, but Libre Calc is asking me every time I try to open a text file with Calc. In fact, it's better than Excel, which now always assumes comma separators when opening a CSV file. This burned me just the other day, when I tried to open a file where the separators were tabs.