Something Random

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
According to Microsoft's validation tool, you can't create a cluster when the Windows Server version are not the same. Well, I just did and it works like a charm.My boss better offer me a bronze statue of myself during our yearly salary review.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't get it. Such flavors would never be approved for commercial production. :skepo:

Handruin

Administrator
An official company non-denial is the last step before it's implemented permenantly.

I've been fairly fond of my FiOS thus far. This will disappoint me on many levels. I've noticed for a while that most content I've streamed through Netflix or Amazon Prime typically starts out with degraded visual quality and eventually gets to HD. Given my 50/25Mb connection I shouldn't have huge amounts of this unless Netflix and/or Amazon can't keep up with demand (or even Verizon not able to handle the congestion). It's difficult to pinpoint where the congestion is, but content-throttling would certainly explain some of it if that's what I'm seeing.

Stereodude

Not really a
You'll note they didn't say that they weren't throttling. They just said they they treat all traffic equally. They could have throttling rules that are equally applied to to all traffic that so far only affect Amazon / Netflix.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Amazon and Netflix are both trying to convince ISPs to accept peered content boxes that the biggest share of their data can come from internal networks rather than cross over more expensive links. I can't believe that Verizon doesn't have a bunch of 100TB Netflix boxes at strategic locations already just to cut congestion down.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
There's a Thai place in Lansing that's very good, timwhit, but it's not someplace I'd feel comfortable asking for a table for one. There are some I'm aware of in the suburbs but I don't live there and as a rule I don't try new foods while I'm working.

I like Karee noodles and Lad Na.

Did some lurking...

You live (or lived, at some point) in or near Lansing? That's just over an hour and a half away from where I am.

Mercutio

I live in Portage, Indiana. I'm physically close enough that I have on a couple occasions walked from my apartment to Miller Beach in Gary (it's not really a fun walk though). It's a great neighborhood. Strip club-adjacent.

Mercutio

I would definitely in no way know absolutely all about that since easily 2/3s of the comments on every Slashdot thread today were about it. I miss the circa '96 Slashdot. I still think of the Slashboxes as the "new design."

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The thread for asking of feedback on beta /. is now over 800 posts...

The funny thing is, if you try and read that item in beta, the beta site isn't able to respond correctly at all. (The load more comments button fails).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The thread for asking of feedback on beta /. is now over 800 posts...

The funny thing is, if you try and read that item in beta, the beta site isn't able to respond correctly at all. (The load more comments button fails).
See, that's something I fail to understand. Even back in the original StorageReview forum, which perhaps wasn't perfect, but still was good enough so that many (most?) of us decided to register and participate, back in 1998-1999, forum software and the underlying hardware were good enough to cope with the traffic. Nowadays, in an age where servers are, what, easily 50 times more powerful than they were 15 years ago, we end up with lag when viewing certain threads. I don't know how the traffic compares between now and 15 years ago on /. , but I know some other forums who had more visits back in 2004-2005 than they have now and they often feel slower than they were back then, despite the major improvements on hardware.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The problem isn't the hardware, but the software running on the site... The software either:
1. Provides more features so consumes the available hardware... (A good thing as long as the new features improve productivity).
2. On the client side, more is being pushed to the client in the form of javascript (and flash / java applets to a lesser extent). So rather than the server building a complete page and sending it to the client, it now sends little-itty bits at a time and is expected to respond to all these additional requests made by these javascript libraries that "power web 2.0 technologies". So you get a latency vs throughput issue in regards to communications... I think blogger.com sites are a good example - the entire client side is driven 100% by javascript (blogger.com sites give you a blank page if you turn off javascript). All their sites seem slow and have high latency to events...

Part of this extends from a lot of newer "web developers" never having written code in a constrained environment so don't think about resources to a large extent. (Some developers don't realise that new javascript library they just added as a requirement for 1 new function weighs in at over 1MB in size - yes jQuery I'm looking at your bloated arse - yes I know you can be trim and lean, but tell people how to do it). If it works fine on their 1 desktop PC, they don't give a sh*t about anyone else... (Mind you, the same can be said for a lot of new software developed these days especially in the enterprise market).

Beta Slashdot is a good example of the new mentality vs the old one. Lots of javascript, very dynamic, but slow and horridly broken... The classic site, loads a bucket load of information very quickly and actually works (because it's not as dynamic as the new one). Also, old classic slashdot works perfectly fine without javascript, the new one doesn't work at all...

There is also a push towards programming languages at a higher level of abstraction... Back in the real old days, if you wanted dynamic content, you had to write your code in C and build it as a CGI plugin for your webserver, then shortly later came using Perl for dynamic content... Newer sites will tend to use PHP (which is highly optimised for web), but is still slower than writing CGI based plugins in C (as this is a native code vs interpreted code issue). A good webserver will however compile and cache the PHP/C#/Java code for performance so it's largely moot, but is still an issue.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The other issue which isn't as apparent, is that a lot of sites are hosted in VMs so thus have to share resources with 100's of other sites (each run in their own VM).

Also, some sites use CDNs (content delivery networks) in order to reduce latency, but their is a cost in working out the closest server hosting the information you're after as well... (as these lookups can happen on every bit of traffic between you and the other end).

Mercutio

Every reasonably sophisticated forum site is going to have per-user preferences and probably shit tons of viewership metrics on each account. Everything is done in Javascript for maximum slowness since that's all Web Monkeys know how to write these days, and the size of ads and scripts being delivered client-side is probably 20x what it was 15 years ago.

Christ. GMAIL has a 2MB landing page. Hope you weren't on dialup when you tried to register for your account!

On the other hand, I browse Slashdot at -1. Sometimes I've learned as much or gotten a laugh from a modded to death comment as a +5 insightful.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry to hear that. The only good news I can see is that, if all your health issue posts so far were accurate, you'd be dead 2 or 3 times already. May this one also fail to kill you ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
I hate troubleshooting DirecTV splitters. Particularly in systems with 20+ receivers.

2014-02-11-19.54.44.jpg

Edit: The grey cable near the top is a 150A power line. The black 2" pipe near the bottom is a gas line. The array of splitters is one of three banks in the house (20,000+ sq.ft.)

Attachments

• 2014-02-11-19.54.44.jpg
    2014-02-11-19.54.44.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 2

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
An official company non-denial is the last step before it's implemented permenantly.

This.

You'll note they didn't say that they weren't throttling. They just said they they treat all traffic equally. They could have throttling rules that are equally applied to to all traffic that so far only affect Amazon / Netflix.

This + 1.

Amazon and Netflix are both trying to convince ISPs to accept peered content boxes that the biggest share of their data can come from internal networks rather than cross over more expensive links. I can't believe that Verizon doesn't have a bunch of 100TB Netflix boxes at strategic locations already just to cut congestion down.

Common sense. It's an enigma.

Are there still 15 or 20 countries that have better internet than the USA?

F@CK YA!!!! 'Murica!!!!!!111!@!!

ddrueding

Fixture
It would have during the install. Now it is going to be an absolute nightmare. Probably easier to just start replacing things and see if it fixes anything. Those splitters are cheap.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Labeling is a long-term solution that helps the next time something goes wrong. Swapping things out, only deals with today. But then you really ought to know that by now.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The decent tone generators would come with the spring clamps needed to suss out and label. Coax splitters are extremely simple devices, it is unlikely it went bad. More likely is animal destruction.

ddrueding

Fixture
Labeling is a long-term solution that helps the next time something goes wrong. Swapping things out, only deals with today. But then you really ought to know that by now.

I do. I'm just putting together the numbers at the moment. Replacing all the splitters in the house would cost <$1k. Replacing every piece of equipment besides the wires (from dish to faulty receiver) would be <$2500. Pulling a crew from another job for a couple days to tone everything out and label it would cost us significantly more than that. I'm not saying that having labeled wires wouldn't be lovely, or that (as Howell said) it might be a wiring issue and we'll have to do it anyway, I'm just saying that the replacing equipment is so much cheaper that it deserves a first shot before digging in further.

One of the reasons wiring issues would be so expensive is that this house is built on a slab and 90% of it has vaulted ceilings and plaster walls. Most of the house has no conduit access for pulling additional cables, and existing cables are physically attached in inaccessible areas (so no using them to pull replacements).

If it is the wiring, it may be more cost effective to start looking at alternative systems altogether.