Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
I have fallen for 1920x1080. I was totally with Tony and Merc about 4:3 ratio displays, but they just don't come this big (42"). And to be honest, 1080 vertical resolution is enough for most anything.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Those S-PVA panels seem like the way tp go but they are so pricy that I may have to stick with my crappy TN panel. :-(

Stereodude

Not really a
Those S-PVA panels seem like the way to go but they are so pricey that I may have to stick with my crappy TN panel. :-(
I got mine for well under $400 after a $30 rebate, a Paypal promotion, and a $45 coupon from Overstock.com. It was $500 - $45 coupon w/ a $30 rebate, and Paypal was running a promotion where you could get back $50 back if you spent more than $250 at any of a few stores. Link to monitor

It looks like it's a lot harder to get a deal these days on that Monitor though.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Amen to that! They would have to pay me $1000 an hour to do anything with her. What a disappointment to find out that's what Spitzer ruined his career over. At least if she was drop-dead gorgeous I might understand a little. This guy was smart enough to get 1590 on his SAT and dumb enough to blow it all for someone who at best is average looking. And going by her web page, a total loser in every other respect.

Stereodude

Not really a
She's not as hideous as you two make her out to be. She is definitely better than average, but she's certainly no model.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Book Smarts != Street Smarts.

Personally I think she's reasonably attractive. The linked shots over-emphasize her slightly large nose. Pages 1, 2, and 8-10 show her in much more favorable circumstances. She's not really my type, but she's more attractive than Heidi Fleiss & I could easily see someone wanting to shag her.

More to the point, it's not his taste in women but that he knowingly risked his position - currently achieved and future potential - for some strange. Men do this all the time and I've never quite understood it. I mean, I understand it from the entertainment industry. We (the US in general, not this forum in particular) forgive almost anything from our entertainers. Not only for the great actors like Robert Downey Jr. but for the mediocre performers like Ms. Spears (she actually does have talent; her first CD showed that. The crap that's flowed since is, to me, a product of the record companies and not her actual abilities). So when an entertainer strays down a dark path they can do it with the confidence that should they be outed their career will not suffer or not suffer much. I think the 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' saying applies to entertainers far more than it does to other people in power.

We mostly demand a slightly cleaner record from politicians. Not sure why that is; being mostly lawyer-spawn they aren't exactly known for the best ethics. And their track record, from this to anonymous gay sex at airports, shows that they are every bit as fallible, potentially more so, than the rest of us. Power corrupts; we shouldn't really be surprised when the corruption is revealed.

ddrueding

Fixture
I just don't know what the big deal is...when I first heard about this I thought: let his wife deal with it.

Then I heard about what a hardon he has been to the people he's prosecuted, and figured he deserved to go down; not for this in particular, just for being a jerk.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Lambo time

20080313_080808_front_lamborgini.jpg

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_8566443?source=rv
The youngest, at 19, was Calabasas resident Alama Keshavar, who brought her mom, Fairy. Keshavar owns a new Balloon White Gallardo, and her brother has a Murcielago.
"I have a very generous dad," she said.
Even in the dealership's parking lot, the collection of Lambos attracted a crowd. As players from a youth soccer team milled about, owner Tom Nault from Redmond,Wash., let them pose for pictures in his lime-green Verde Ithaca Murcielago.
In other 'that's so hollywood' news...be Paris Hilton's new bff-best friend 4evah (or until the show ends, lol) uggh.

http://parisbff.com/

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
She's not as hideous as you two make her out to be. She is definitely better than average, but she's certainly no model.
It depends where in the country you live. By NYC or LA standards at best she's average. I see loads of people who look better just walking down any random street in Manhattan or Flushing, or going on the subway. Just about all my female friends in HS were better looking. My sister at nearly 44 looks better than her. Even Spitzer's wife looks better than her (not the recent haggard looking pics of her though). And my main point is if I paid $1000 an hour to bang someone I would be very disappointed when that walked into the room. I expect a low-budget hooker to be fugly, but a high-end one should be a lot better than average. For that kind of money I would expect someone like Jessica Alba.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Is it any wonder Merc is not posting recently. With Obama promising the moon, but doing what, printing more money we don't have? Spend, spend, spend...wonderful spend. It's the Democratic solution (non-solution) for every political issue.

So the economy is going down the dumps, boring, wanna be the next Mary J. Blige, hookers cost $1k/hr, 'expert' sex therapists say 3-13 minutes is fine (like sex experts really know anything?) for IEL (aka penetration, lol, but not by Clinton's definition ;) ),

and now these choice morsels of wisdom...yeh, the world has gone to sh*t for sure :D , no more jailbait teenage black girls for me, lol:

CDC: At Least 1 in 4 Teenage Girls Has Sexually Transmitted Disease

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336749,00.html

nearly half the blacks studied had at least one STD.

Risky Teen Behaviors Encourage Oral Cancer

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,267481,00.html

HPV and Oral Cancer
Although most Americans are aware of the part tobacco plays as a risk factor for oral cancer, few realize how serious a threat a virus such as the human papilloma virus (HPV) really is.
According to the Mouth Cancer Foundation, HPV is one of the most common virus groups in the world to affect the skin and mucosal regions of the body, which include areas such as the mouth, throat, tongue, tonsils, vagina, penis, and anus. More than 80 types of HPV have been identified.
A study from the May 3, 2000, issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute provided evidence that HPV is linked with certain types of oral cancer...
A National Center for Health Statistics report issued in September 2005 surveyed over 12,000 Americans between the ages of 15 and 44, and found that over half the teenagers questioned had oral sex.

The G Spot: Fact or Fiction?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336572,00.html

Not sure what to make of this image, this is the author in her come hither, clevage, smiling...*bonk* my brains out, look?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
With Obama promising the moon, but doing what, printing more money we don't have? Spend, spend, spend...wonderful spend. It's the Democratic solution (non-solution) for every political issue.
WTF are you talking about? It's Bush who's doing the Spend Spend Spend thing. Not just the couple of billion he's dumping into our deficit each week to cover the invasion of Iraq that he started. It's also the moronic, er, economic stimulus package that is adding what, about 150 billion to the deficit. Bush is the one with the a**hole big enough to s**t out money with no regard to the fact that the money has to eventually be repaid by US citizens.

Last I checked the best Obama could do was vote on a spending package, providing 1/102th of the oomph a bill would need before it could go to Bush. Not that it would matter much anyway with the way Bush disregards the law and does whatever he feels like.

That the Obama candidacy is doing a good job raising money says more about how people feel about him and the people who back him. It says nothing about his fiscal responsibility.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't know wtf the point of avoiding a recession is anyway (i.e. via the stimulus package). Recessions are part of the natural order of things. They help level set the economy so we can then continue growth. Recessions are inevitable and everything we are doing to avoid them just makes them longer and harder when they eventually do come.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't know wtf the point of avoiding a recession is anyway (i.e. via the stimulus package). Recessions are part of the natural order of things. They help level set the economy so we can then continue growth. Recessions are inevitable and everything we are doing to avoid them just makes them longer and harder when they eventually do come.

Agreed.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I recognize most of that. :)

How do you like the G15? I've been considering a backlit keyboard & the G11/G15 or the Saitek are the ones I've been leaning towards.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I have the Saitek with silver keys. I think the keys would be easier to read in lower light conditions if they were black. I might get a G15 for that reason. Other than that the Saitek is ok. Wish more laptops had backlit keyboards...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
If you're looking for an Eclipse @ 50% off let me know...........

C

ddrueding

Fixture
I really like the G15. The backlit keys are wonderful, the black really does make it easier. I have the LED display folded down because it doesn't work in Server 2003 without SP2 installed and I still can't make that work(!). The Razor Copperhead is also the best mouse I've ever used, at full sampling rate and resolution it is head and shoulders above the others I've tried (which include the latest from Logitech and Microsoft).

Handruin

Administrator
$1k/hr for her??? And Spitzer paid continuously for that? Both he and his wife Harvard, lawyers no less. What's the IQ for losers, how is it so called smart/intelligent people are so Effin dumb?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0312084kristen5.html

She looks Jewish to me.

It might not all be about her looks, but what she does to him while they're together. Looks aren't everything to a person in ways of making them happy (which is true in the nonscandolouslydirtywhorewayoflife).

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
You'd think they'd paint the keycaps from the inside so it'd never wear off. Oh well, Saitek's out & Logitech's still in the running. I didn't really want the extra side keys on the Logitech as it'll make the keyboard just barely fit my drawer.

I'll watch for a sale or rebate on the G11 or G15.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
DD,

What's that thing immediately to the left of the drives? The thing with the multiple parallel steel tubes going from left to right on top of it, a front that looks like a car radio, and knobs on the side?

ddrueding

Fixture
DD,

What's that thing immediately to the left of the drives? The thing with the multiple parallel steel tubes going from left to right on top of it, a front that looks like a car radio, and knobs on the side?

Looks like a HDD cooling chassis with rubber mounts?

You are correct! Zalman Hard drive cooler ZM-2HC2. That is where the Raptors are. Behind them in the black boxes are 5-in-3 hard drive cages with 120mm fans in the front, they are full of 750GB drives.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Ars Technica's obituary is well-written and touching as well.
[His laws of prediction] are simple words, but in them exists a very singular hope: science can do anything that strong and able minds ask it to, and a faith in science doesn't remove one from a sense of wonder. This is still an important message: science doesn't mean magic doesn't exist, it just means that magic is something that takes discipline and time to learn and wield. Arthur C. Clarke has passed away at the age of 90, but in these simple laws, he gave something we'll never lose: a blueprint for dreaming.

Technology is getting more powerful, and yet we're still our normal, violent and hateful messes. Clarke seemed sometimes to be looking into the stars and wishing for help. What he may not have realized is that with his fierce intelligence and limitless imagination he was helping us, and in the work he left behind he will continue to help us. He knew that technology can make the world better, and that a rational mind was no less beautiful than any other.