Affordable graphics cards

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I did not install that Catalytic utility as I recall it was quite large. I tested the 5450 with the Furmark. The hairy doughnut thingie rotates slowly and spasmodically, no doubt due to the wimpy GPU. :) The temperature stabilized at about 54 °C in the extreme burning mode. At idle the GPU is 40 °C at an internal case temperature of 30°C and room temp of 25°C. I think that should be fine for good life.

LunarMist

Power drain from the UPS seems to be ~10W less at idle. So the old card was using more power doing nothing?

LunarMist

The passively-cooled Radeon HD 5450 can also fry with no airflow. But it only needs a minimal amount.

It must be getting some airflow. There are 2x80mm case fans in the rear and the open grill on the side (no fan), plus 2x80mm HD fans in the front, though the latter are only set to the middle speed. The PSU fans hardly move any air unless the CPU is at 100%.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
1287554087.jpeg

LunarMist

Why does it still use so much power if the die is smaller and transistor count is lower?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I really hope that's a typo 'cause a 4% better 3DMark score and less processing geegaws in trade for lower idle power consumption doesn't seem that interesting

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
They're comparing last year's $250 card to this year's $325 card.

$325? This is aimed at the GTX460 1GB. What do you think the 6950/6970 (replacements for 5850/5870) will be priced at?

They are comparing last years $300 card to this year's $200 card (the slide is more focused to OEM card builders as the Barts GPU is a drop in replacement).

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Why does it still use so much power if the die is smaller and transistor count is lower?

900MHz on the 6870 vs 725MHz on the 5850. They've also changed the shader structures etc. I would wager the end results will use less max power than the 5850 (even though both are rated 151W).

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I really don't see lots of purpose in speculating now, since it is to be released 10/22/10 and that should release all the review sites from their NDA's. I can wait a day ...

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I really don't see lots of purpose in speculating now, since it is to be released 10/22/10 and that should release all the review sites from their NDA's. I can wait a day ...
I just find it interesting, the market dynamics:

http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20581-nvidia-officially-drops-grx-470-price-to-$259-%E2%82%AC219

GTX 460 1GB drops to $200, GTX 470 to $259.

Handruin

Administrator
I'd like to get a new graphics card in the next 30-60 days. I'll be upgrading from my 8800GT which happens to work fine, but just needs some more speed from a replacement. I'm out of the loop on graphics cards and hope to find a card in the sweet spot in terms of speed for the money. I've been following this thread waiting to see what the new offerings are to find a card that isn't the top of the line, but I'm happy to get something close to it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
AUD$330 for the 6870, AUD$275 for 6850.

How does that slot into Aus pricing for 5770 and 5850/5870?

Sapphire 5770 AU$158
Sapphire 5850 AU$299
Sapphire 5870 AU$423

Standard (not O/C) models, all prices include 10% GST (tax) and are pretty good for this neck of the woods.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd like to get a new graphics card in the next 30-60 days. I'll be upgrading from my 8800GT which happens to work fine, but just needs some more speed from a replacement. I'm out of the loop on graphics cards and hope to find a card in the sweet spot in terms of speed for the money. I've been following this thread waiting to see what the new offerings are to find a card that isn't the top of the line, but I'm happy to get something close to it.

The 6870 is neck and neck or outperforming the GTX470, at significantly less wattage, and price.

Though if you want one I would suggest hitting Newegg quickly, I doubt they'll remain in stock for long (couple are already OOS).

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Biggest downside is this series won't likely run the folding@home GPU3 client when released for AMD.

Handruin

Administrator
The 6870 is neck and neck or outperforming the GTX470, at significantly less wattage, and price.

Though if you want one I would suggest hitting Newegg quickly, I doubt they'll remain in stock for long (couple are already OOS).

I'm looking at five of the 6870 cards on newegg that are in stock (gigabyte and asus are OOS). They're all made from different manufacturers and all the specs are the same. Here are the price differences:

Sapphire: $239.99
Warranty 2 years
PowerColor: $239.99
warranty 2 years
HIS: $239.99
warranty 2 years
MSI: $249.99
warranty 3 years (labor 2)
XFX: $259.99
warranty lifetime

I'm thinking for the lifetime warranty, maybe $20 is decent? I have to believe that any of these cards would be a noticeable improvement over my 8800 GT for gaming performance at 1920x1200. I'd also like to get into the Eyefinity.

Handruin

Administrator
I could see myself upgrading the card in 2-3 years. My 8800 GT was purchased 12/28/2007 and it has a lifetime warranty and now I'm at the point of wanting to upgrade it. I'll either move it to another machine down the road or give it to someone else if/when I no longer need it.

My question is, would XFX be any better in building the cards than the rest of the lot? My last single experience with Sapphire wasn't very good, but that isn't a whole lot to go on. I could try them again and save $20 and be done with the card after two years.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm looking at five of the 6870 cards on newegg that are in stock (gigabyte and asus are OOS). They're all made from different manufacturers and all the specs are the same. Here are the price differences:

Sapphire: $239.99
Warranty 2 years
PowerColor: $239.99
warranty 2 years
HIS: $239.99
warranty 2 years
MSI: $249.99
warranty 3 years (labor 2)
XFX: $259.99
warranty lifetime

I'm thinking for the lifetime warranty, maybe $20 is decent? I have to believe that any of these cards would be a noticeable improvement over my 8800 GT for gaming performance at 1920x1200. I'd also like to get into the Eyefinity.

The video card OEMs seem to go out of business moreso than needing the warranty. I've had good luck with HIS. It looks like the 6800 series has 6 display links to share with the 5 outputs, compared to 3 on the 5000 range.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One thing about XFX and its warranties is that they're really, really serious about making you register your card when you get it in order to qualify.

Handruin

Administrator
The video card OEMs seem to go out of business moreso than needing the warranty. I've had good luck with HIS. It looks like the 6800 series has 6 display links to share with the 5 outputs, compared to 3 on the 5000 range.

Can I run 5 monitors are the same time using all the available ports? What, or where, is the 6th link?

Handruin

Administrator
One thing about XFX and its warranties is that they're really, really serious about making you register your card when you get it in order to qualify.

My current eVGA card had to be registered within 3 months to get the lifetime warranty. The registration wasn't a big deal, but I know what you mean about them being serious about it.

Handruin

Administrator
For the price/performance, is there any huge reason not to go with a 6800 series card? The higher level cards coming out in a month or two are likely more than I want to spend, so this mid-level price/performance seems to fit my needs.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
For the price/performance, is there any huge reason not to go with a 6800 series card? The higher level cards coming out in a month or two are likely more than I want to spend, so this mid-level price/performance seems to fit my needs.

The improved crossfire performance means two 6870s are faster than almost everything except the 5970. One now, another one later if you go to a 30" monitor/1600p.

Handruin

Administrator
I like that idea, hower I'd rather go 3 x 24" in portrait Eyefinity than a 30" monitor. I've never run dual graphics cards before, but the idea is now tempting. Do you think a 750 W PCP&C PSU is enough to run two of these in CF?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Can I run 5 monitors are the same time using all the available ports? What, or where, is the 6th link?

Yes, though keep in mind one of the DVI ports is single link. To run 6 at once, you need three DisplayPort monitors on each DP 1.2 port (daisychained or breakout boxes). In this case, the card is waiting for display manufacturers to catch up.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I like that idea, hower I'd rather go 3 x 24" in portrait Eyefinity than a 30" monitor. I've never run dual graphics cards before, but the idea is now tempting. Do you think a 750 W PCP&C PSU is enough to run two of these in CF?

More than enough, two in CF is only around 300W. Just need four 6 pin PCI express power connectors (or 8-6 pin adaptors).

Handruin

Administrator
After much debate, I'm causing more debate for myself by considering the now price-reduce GTX 470 by EVGA. Since most of the reviews are now comparing the 6870 to the GTX 470, they made me consider it as an option. It also helps that I've been very happy with my current EVGA card. I know how people like to debate nVidia vs AMD, but I've had no problems with the software/drivers for my current card. It's been quite painless to do upgrades through the past three years. I don't even bother to uninstall or clean my system. i just run the install for the latest and after a reboot everything just works.

Has the ATI/AMD software improved at all in the past several years? Their mammoth and slow control panel always annoyed me to no end. I really like the 2 seconds it takes to open the nvidia panel and it's just easy, simple, and just works.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I've had no probs with the drivers on my 5770.

For the comfort of staying with nvidia, the price to be paid is about 100W more power consumption per card (more noise), plus the loss of HDMI 1.4a, UVD3, and DP 1.2 support.

It looks like you are moving up in pricerange, if you can still wait the 6950/6970 should provide further performance in November (and provide additional price pressure on the 470).

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually you could run two 6870s in crossfire for the same power budget as one GTX470 if I'm not mistaken.

Handruin

Administrator
Actually you could run two 6870s in crossfire for the same power budget as one GTX470 if I'm not mistaken.

When you mentioned crossfire earlier, I actually considered it, but then I quickly remembered that I'm using P55 chipset, so I would be limited to 8x PCIe per slot once I added the second card. If I'm going to go crossfire, I'd rather do it with a system that can handle two 16x PCIe like the x58 chipset.