Affordable graphics cards

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Judging by the reviews that huge passive cooler can be a problem.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Judging by the reviews that huge passive cooler can be a problem.
I have the same graphic card David has (Power Color pasive 5750). It's been in my main computersince late February and so far, I've had no problem with it at all. It sits on a GigaByte P55-UD3R motherboard and doesn't touch any other component.

Handruin

Administrator
Fantastic. This is what I've been waiting for so to hear the pricing is aggressive is good news.

Handruin

Administrator
Sweet! Did they just get listed today on newegg? I'm getting a $50 newegg gift card from an Onkyo receiver I bought on Monday during their one-day sale which it qualified for. Once that comes in...I'm buying one of these!

Handruin

Administrator
Still looks like the GTX 580 out performs it in just about everything and in some cases the GTX 570 also out performs it. I guess this might be why the price is less.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Still looks like the GTX 580 out performs it in just about everything and in some cases the GTX 570 also out performs it. I guess this might be why the price is less.

Yeah, if you want the fastest single GPU card the 580 is it. The AMD cards are value oriented in terms of bang for buck.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
There's been a surprising amount of water under the bridge since this thread was last updated. The big news was in much improved integrated GPU-CPU solutions, starting with Intel's Sandy Bridge and particularly the handful of chips with HD3000 (eg. i5-2500K and i7-2600K). Then AMD upped the ante with their FM1 socket and so-called 'APU'.

You'd think this would expose low-end standalone cards for the uncompetitive crap that they are, but I suspect the plethora of model numbers confuses customers (and dealers) into buying them anyway. I found 3 models that I think are worth paying for:

PowerColor HD5570 for $40 after rebate. 128-bit DDR3 and probably triple the performance of anything else at this price.

XFX 6770 for $90 after rebate, includes Dirt3. Much better than 6670, many of which don't use GDDR5.

HIS HD6850 for $135 after rebate, includes Dirt3.

The benchmarks I looked at favored AMD GPUs at these price points, but people might like to add their own suggestions.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The *770 cards have been my go-to recommendation for a good long while. Those models seem to be the sweet spot of price and performance on the ATI side of things. Of course, the usual pattern is that shortly after the cards fall below $100, a new model is introduced and the previous generation card is suddenly nowhere to be found.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I ordered an Asus ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3 for my main PC. I'm sleeping next to it and although I've replaced all the case fans and the CPU fan by quiet models (one Antec Quiet120, one Antec Quiet140 and a Scythe SY1225SL12H-P for the CPU), it still emits an annoying amount of noise. The tiny fan on its old GeForce 8500GT seems like a decent culprit. The GeForce 440GT will also improve slightly the 3D performances and it's a very good HTPC card for the few times I watch movies on that computer. At 80$, it isn't cheap, considering its relatively poor 3D capabilities, but it was the most I was willing to put on a graphic card for now and I haven't seen any better option for a passively cooled card below 100$.

I'll also replace the aging 80GB drive in that computer, as it could also be a significant source of noise. The only other thing that produce noise in that box would be the 850W OCZ Z850M power supply. I hope it's not it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You could not put 7 of them on your precious motherboard because, if you look closely, you'll see that the heatsink is a bit wider than what's needed for a single slot cooler. So that's one card every two slots.

And my earnings are probably only a sixth of yours, so a 649$ for me, really? I just need a quiet graphic card so I can sleep in the same room as my main PC. That's all. Besides, if I do any kind of GPU folding, it with prevent me from getting big units. Overall, my production would either remain the same of maybe even decrease, while my PC would need more electricity. Not good.

It is nice to see dedication to the cause from a prominent member of our folding@home team, though.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have two computers, each one with a Core i7 2600 (one is a 2600K). The Core i7 2600 has eight cores (four core plus hyperthreading). In order to receive a big unit, you need to have eight cores or more. If I start GPU folding, I'll no longer have eight free cores, but seven (or six, depending if I start one or two GPU clients). So I won't receive big units anymore, but normal units. The GPU client will compensate somewhat, but I doubt it will be enough. Don't forget that there's a 20% point bonus linked to the big units.

There's a way to compute big units with less than 8 cores, but doing each unit will still take a longer time and will diminiss the time bonus. In my case, I don't think it would be worth it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Ah, gotcha. So that is why my 6 (12 with hyperthreading) machines can handle big WUs and GPU.

So if my new spare parts machine were to have 3GPUs in it, I would need a 6(12) core CPU to also get big WUs? (12-3=9, 9>8)

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool