What happened to P5 ?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Whatever happened to P5-133XL? Anybody got a clue? No posts since August 2014?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
He was posting under another name for a while and generally more in the computers topics than social. He's never shared much about his personal life. Maybe the relative lack of traffic in the top half of the forums? I'll see if I have an Email for him.
mubs also hasn't visited in a while. Buck, Tannin and Pradeep check in periodically albeit not frequently.

Handruin

Administrator
I have no info either and have wondered the same. If you look back through some of his past posts specifically to the area of folding at home, he gave away or sold most if not all his systems. I wondered if he up and moved on with his life somewhere else or maybe something else was going on. None the less, I hope he's doing ok.

Handruin

Administrator
Just for some additional data, his last post on the folding forums was on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:41 pm. His last visit here was August 31st 2014 1:28AM.

Mercutio

There's someone with the right name and location posting on Twitter but P5's real name is so common even that isn't necessarily the right person. Is P5 a high school football coach who had a kid in December?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
He's in his late fifties, so being the father of a newborn, I just don't believe it. He's supposed to be passed his mid-life crisis and the possible consequences that come with it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
He's in his late fifties, so being the father of a newborn, I just don't believe it. He's supposed to be passed his mid-life crisis and the possible consequences that come with it.

It may be a second or third family, but most likely it's a different dude. He's not in IT at all?

Mercutio

I believe Mark is in his 50s. He's some sort of admin or infrastructure-type IT person, though he's never been very specific about where he works or what he does.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I have no info either and have wondered the same. If you look back through some of his past posts specifically to the area of folding at home, he gave away or sold most if not all his systems. I wondered if he up and moved on with his life somewhere else or maybe something else was going on. None the less, I hope he's doing ok.

He sold some/all of his Canon L series lenses 1.5 years ago. He posted them here, but also listed them on eBay. Three sold Oct 26, 2013. He lives/lived in Salem, Oregon.

No goodbye message? No, "You guys are A-holes....I'm out-ah-here" message. Admin here didn't ban him. No obvious argument with another member (at least in public). No mention on his part regarding "hard times/economic issues" or family health issues.

Just an FYI, but I'll say "goodbye guys/gals" if I ever permanently leave here. Unless I drop dead instantly or go to prison or something else crazy. Hope you all would do the same.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I've searched the obituaries for Salem, Oregon and the last "Turner" who died there was in 2011, so not him. Unless he moved just before he passed away. His business is still listed.

LunarMist

I've searched the obituaries for Salem, Oregon and the last "Turner" who died there was in 2011, so not him. Unless he moved just before he passed away. His business is still listed.

Where do you search for the dead, in the state records or just published obits? Many deaths are not published, but that my vary by state.

Handruin

Administrator
If his age is correct as recorded here in the forums it matches the age in that obituary.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
That's terrible news, but thanks for finding that. I had been wondering as well.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Sad if it is him...

However, if he was unwell for a few years prior, that could explain the reduced involvement in forums, selling of equipment, etc.

PS. I first meet Mark on the 2cpu.com forums**, very helpful with my Tyan K8W setup and understanding the AGP issues with AMD-8151 chipset.

**Assuming he used the same handle both here and there.

LunarMist

That really sucks. :( Somehow I'm hoping it's not him, but all the evidence points to that.
How many people could there be with the same name in Salem Oregon born the same year?

LunarMist

Just an FYI, but I'll say "goodbye guys/gals" if I ever permanently leave here. Unless I drop dead instantly or go to prison or something else crazy. Hope you all would do the same.

Yes I will.

Mercutio

I wonder if there is a family in Salem that someone could contact. I don't recall him ever indicating that he did or did not. He did not write much at all about his personal life.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
If true that's pretty depressing news on two fronts. One, it's sad to lose someone who was a big part of the forums at one time. Two, 57 is too young for anyone to die. Here's hoping that obituary Merc found isn't his, although I doubt there are two people of the same name and age in a relatively small place like Salem.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have found what I believe to be his business name, address, and phone number if someone wants to try to call.

Mercutio

The folks with the lowest user numbers on SR had admin-created accounts after the MBF. I remember seeing P5's login back around the time Windows 98 was released, which is as early as I started visiting.

I posted a short message about him in SR's Bar and Grill but I doubt it'll get much attention.

Should we have some kind of, I don't know, memorial?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
A memorial is for people who keep living. P5's remains won't be happier if we commemorate him or not. If members of his family aren't aware of his involvement here, it won't change anything for them either.

That being said, if members of our forum want to do something to remember him, I'm not opposed to. He was a particularly valuable forum member and he had strong principles, which made his participation in some threads quite interesting. He sure will be missed.

Has anyone called the phone number of his business to make sure it's effectively him in the obituary?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mark was an active folding@home person. Anybody check the stats to see when his points stopped coming in? Still hope we are wrong about this whole thing.

As far are Merc's suggestion about a memorial...CougTek is correct of course and "a memorial is for people who keep living." How about a "memorial thread" that gets bumped every once in a while so we don't forget Mark. Perhaps add people who haven't been here in a while also? Just tossing ideas out there.

LunarMist

Mark was an active folding@home person. Anybody check the stats to see when his points stopped coming in? Still hope we are wrong about this whole thing.

As far are Merc's suggestion about a memorial...CougTek is correct of course and "a memorial is for people who keep living." How about a "memorial thread" that gets bumped every once in a while so we don't forget Mark. Perhaps add people who haven't been here in a while also? Just tossing ideas out there.

Has anyone verified the identity of the decedent?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I hope that it isn't him but it seems to make sense that it is. I always remember that he was always intent on helping people. A little bit gruff at times but always trying to solve the problem and going out of his way to do it. Loved his ID which was the model of a Gateway computer. He will be missed.

Mercutio

I spoke with the mortuary. The woman I spoke to indicated that he was known as an entrepreneurial person but also a free spirit, though she was not allowed to disclose any specifics about him or his circumstances to a non-family member. I was given a mailing address for his brother, whom I gather to be the executor of his estate. The mortuary did say that there has been no funeral.