Something Random

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
David, can you angle the camera to see more of the store? Right now I can only see 4 computers, and it would be cool to see more of them.

ddrueding

Fixture
Grr. I moved it, really I did. But then Smiley came back and messed it up again. I have mounting brackets for the cams, and just haven't had the time to bolt them in place.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Spider Man 2 was literally perfect as a comic book movie.

OK, the score was weak.

But other than that? Flawless.
Great script - which might be expected with a Pulitzer-prize winning author as a co-writer. It perfectly captures the mood of decades worth of character development. Peter Parker is at his heart a very innocent young man who is forced to make some tough choices in life.
The action scenes? Breathtaking. Dr. Octopus is kind of a joke in the comics, but in the movie, he just exudes menace with those skeletal, snakelike arms. The (mostly CG) fights are awesome - you can tell what's going on (anyone seen Riddick?), and two wall-crawling combatants broughts some really fresh perspectives to the table.

I think I'm going again tonight.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for the review. I was interested in seeing the movie this weekend, and now I'm glad to here a positive review.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
Handruin said:
Mario Bros. piano madness. This guy has some skill...

http://gprime.net/video/blindfoldedmariopianist2.php

That is absolutely incredible. Even if you don't have the time for all 10:22 of it, you must listen to the last minute or so...that is completely amazing.

Hardly. Barely interesting, in fact.

Maybe you should watch more PBS... you might find Live an Lincoln Center to be amazing, as well.

Handruin

Administrator
Not really a matter of fact, but a matter of your opinion. If this person was on PBS, I'd watch it. That person has a talent which I, and many others don't have. Therefore, I thought others might enjoy. Even if you feel the content isn't interesting, the person has skill. But, it doesn't matter, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Your suggestion to watch PBS makes me feel like your post is rather abrasive and snobbish...as if a person playing a Mario tune is of a lower class and uncultured.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought the guy had real talent - it takes years of practice and dedication to be able to do what he does.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The song is irrelevant... a good musician can make a mundane song interesting.

There's simply nothing special about playing blindfolded (especially when your hands never leave the console) or playing fast. Any 8-year-old pianist who put their mind to it could do these things.

I don't see anybody being wowed by videos of someone playing Flight of the Bumblebee very quickly, blindfolded on the tuba. That's a musical feat that takes some effort!

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
And my point about PBS is that it's free, ubiquitous, and shows far more incredible musicality... all of the time. You don't need to dig up a link in a post; it's piped into your home once a month, if not more often.

If you think that PBS is snobbish, then I doubt you'd watch it, even if this person was on it (which, if performed at Lincoln Center, might be the case).

Mercutio

sechs said:
The song is irrelevant... a good musician can make a mundane song interesting.

There's simply nothing special about playing blindfolded (especially when your hands never leave the console) or playing fast. Any 8-year-old pianist who put their mind to it could do these things.

Well, the video seems to cause an error with Firefox for me (something about a Windows Media DLL, on more than one PC), but as far as playing piano goes, I can tell you that I neither look at the console nor anything else while I'm playing. I usually shut my eyes, in fact. Makes it easier to listen to what I'm playing - provided I know the piece, of course.

But playing the piano fast is generally not something an 8-year-old can do. :)

Handruin

Administrator
It's the manner in which you suggested watching PBS that made it seem snobbish. I felt there was more you were trying to say than what was said. The blind folded part wasn't the impressive part...He had no music to read anyway. The last few minutes is what I enjoyed most. The difference is that, if I'm going to watch an orchestra (or individual), I expect them to be perfect and amazing because that's what I paid for, even if it's on TV.

There is a difference to me between watching musicians in an orchestra, and watching someone who is unkown and having fun on his own presonal time. The point of digging up a link such as this is that it is fun and light hearted. I won't find someone playing music like this on PBS.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I can also endorse Spider-Man 2 and basically echo Mercs comments. You can see what's going on in the action scenes, better CG than the first one, good acting, excellent script, and above average character and plot development.

Better than a sequel has any right to be.

And, of course, they laid a foundation for SM3. 8)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I really wasn't all that impressed with Spiderman 2. I thought it was slow, the plot weak and the action scenes not all that impressive. I don't know how it achieved the biggest first weekend ever, maybe everyone in the country was bored out of their wits?

I thought that X-men 2 was a far better comic book movie.

And can someone please explain to me how spiderman in the movie can shoot the web right out of his wrists, but in the comic book he had mechanical apparatus that shot the web.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Change of Topic

I was just doing some math (I know, it hurts) and was wondering, what is the average cost of a home where you live? In my neighborhood, whether we're talking about a large single family house (4,500 sq.ft.) or an attached condominium like mine (1,389 sq.ft.), the average purchase price this month per square foot is around $400.00. Fortunately I didn't pay such a high price, but the prospects of moving out of the condo and buying in the same vicinity are out of the question. My best move would be to sell the place and purchase a nice single family house in Tacoma or Federal Way (Washington State).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think you intended to post in the other thread, Buck. Anyway, the median home price in Los Angeles has hit $414k, a 33% jump from a year ago. Go figure.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
What I paid in 4/2002 for my single-family home was about $82/square foot. I'm sure it's gone up by at least 12% since then.

From a local realtor: In my subdivision, median sale prices 2003 (full year) to 2004 (YTD) are up 8.3%. However, the median for June alone is 14% higher than 2003.

The home next door, which is a few hundred sq ft smaller, on a smaller lot, lacks a fireplace, but has a finished basement (mine isn't yet), went for $19K more last month than I paid for my place in 2002. It also sold in just 2 days. I'll have more info shortly as a home across the street just went up for sale.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Housing prices around here have finally started to level off, but my sister is about to put her 1-bedroom condo up for sale for almost 3 times what she paid for it, just four and a half years ago. The exact same unit next to her sold for a similar price, about three weeks ago. She and her her fiancee have been looking for a house in the area, but there's almost nothing under $400,000 that doesn't need major work or is in a decent town.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been scrambling to buy a nice place in my town, but anything decent is $600k+. As a first-time buyer, that is quite a daunting task.

$50k Down and $3k/mo? Right....I'll get back to you. :cry:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Re: Change of Topic

Buck said:
I was just doing some math (I know, it hurts) and was wondering, what is the average cost of a home where you live? In my neighborhood, whether we're talking about a large single family house (4,500 sq.ft.) or an attached condominium like mine (1,389 sq.ft.), the average purchase price this month per square foot is around $400.00. Fortunately I didn't pay such a high price, but the prospects of moving out of the condo and buying in the same vicinity are out of the question. My best move would be to sell the place and purchase a nice single family house in Tacoma or Federal Way (Washington State).

Fortunately where I am it's closer to $70 per sq. ft. Tho building new is a bit more than that.

ddrueding

Fixture
$/sq ft? I never really thought of doing it that way, as the prices seem to be more determined by location and age than size. But the last place I looked at was about $333/sq.ft.

ddrueding

Fixture
I met her 5 days ago. As part of a larger group, we made small talk for an hour that day and 2 the next. 3 days ago I found out her last name and 2 days ago the formality of the occasion and presence of siblings, parents, and significant others were the only things keeping us 6 inches apart. Thoughts of her dominated my thoughts on the 13-hour drive home and every minute since. I'm now looking at plane tickets to Portland.

I've never fallen this hard...I'm sure it's going to hurt.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll be meeting her in Portland, OR. This is a town completely unfamiliar to either of us. We'll be staying at a friend's house, one who just moved there and is also unfamiliar with the layout.

Any Sugesstions of good coffee houses, Bars, Jazz Clubs, Comedy Clubs, etc?

ddrueding

Fixture
I won't be able to get up there for another 2 weeks, but she's already talking of moving down here. We discussed strategies for breaking up our current relationships. Already talking "love" and "future". If this were anyone else, I'd say they were crazy, but I'm convinced this is something incredible.

Mercutio

timwhit said:
I really wasn't all that impressed with Spiderman 2. I thought it was slow, the plot weak and the action scenes not all that impressive. I don't know how it achieved the biggest first weekend ever, maybe everyone in the country was bored out of their wits?

I thought that X-men 2 was a far better comic book movie.

And can someone please explain to me how spiderman in the movie can shoot the web right out of his wrists, but in the comic book he had mechanical apparatus that shot the web.

Been meaning to reply to this for quite some time:

1. X-men 2 felt rushed to me. I know the characters with geekish obsessiveness, but within the time constraints of the movie it's way too hard to get a good handle on who the characters in the movie really are, other than Wolverine. The Xmen have always had a very verbal, cerebral narrative. Lots of very full word balloons. The movie didn't convey that.
Cool as hell? Yup. But not quite what I'm hoping for.

2. Spiderman 2 - moreso than the first one, I think, captured the overarching angst that drives the character. You might say they hit us over the head with it, but given the canvas on which Raimi had to draw, it wasn't like there was time for subtlety. Spiderman is a kid and a hero, and his motivations really DO fit perfectly into pulling on the mask and going out to correct the wrongs of the world as he sees them. How wonderfully idealistic!
Comics are a lot like Opera. Because of the (intended) audience of all ages, not everyone is going to see every emotion unless it's so big, one can't miss it.
I thought the director and the stars did a really great job of taking everything they were given and playing it just right, not too big nor too small.

3. Web Shooters - In writing, particularly for visual media, it's a very good idea not to muddle a storyline with less-important details. Police procedural shows don't usually show the cops going out to their squad car and driving to the crime scene, for example.
The web shooters are an undenaibly minor detail, and are largely implausible even within the context of Spiderman's back story (Peter is a good enough chemist and enigneer to make a web fluid shooter, yet he wants to be a photographer and pretty much never spends time in the lab at any time thereafter?). For the movie, it makes sense to just omit that element. In the "Ultimate Spider Man" comic series - a reworking of Spiderman mythos with a much more modern feel than the old Lee/Romita stories, the origins of the shooters were also changed (His father made them). It's clearly something the current Spider-writers aren't completely comfortable with.