Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
timwhit said:
Handruin said:
e_dawg...its.fubar is officially gone, so hopefully the problem has been remedied.

How was this done?

Seriously? He finally annoyed the moderators enough that the issue was addressed.

The contention among the guys with the "Edit" buttons that his actions, while obnoxious, didn't meet the standards for banning someone. I don't think that's a bad thing. They took their job seriously. Then he started another spate of acting up and the issue was addressed again, this time to what we all would consider happy consequences.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Just confirming that Buffy Season 7 is six discs, just like season 6. Halfway thru disc 3....

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
SteveC said:
Pradeep, are the Region 2 discs full screen or wide screen?

Widescreen. I have seasons 5, 6 and 7 in region 2 (UK). 1, 2, 3 and 4 in region 4 (Aus). IIRC the region 4 discs are full screen.

ddrueding

Fixture
Ugh...5AM...I hate 5AM.

I need to be up in 4 hours, and I'm not tired. So do I:

a. work straight through the night, knowing that tomorrow I am hosting a party from 11:30PM until 3AM.

b. get smashed and pass out in 30 minutes, knowing that the reception tomorrow at 11AM would be a complete nightmare.

c. procrastinate and surf on SR, SF and /. until the sun comes up, then fall asleep and be late for the rest of the day.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I find I do best on either 4-4.5 hours of sleep or 6-6.5 hours. Anything less than 4, between 4.5-6, or more than 6.5 and my body just doesn't function normally.

I have, however, been known to sleep <2 hours and still get by.

And there's nothing wrong with 5AM. I'm up at 5 6 days a week and up by 6 on Sunday.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
As I'm discovering this week the amount of sleep I need depends heavily upon when I need to wake up. If I have to be up during early morning hours I require a few hours more sleep and I'm still not at my best until after noon. In general I can't stand having to get up before about noon which is why I'll be glad when my brief foray back into the "employee" world ends in a few weeks and I no longer have to get up at 6 or 6:30 AM (which is my normal bedtime, not wakeup time). Despite getting two or three extra hours of sleep per night just to be able to function at all during normal "day" hours, I still feel completely drained on my days off. Last time I worked day hours for an extended period, I literally didn't have the energy to do anything on weekends. I simply relaxed and recharged my batteries for the coming week. Despite years of morning hours for school and/or work, my body just never got used to it. Given that we have artificial lighting, why does the business world still function on a largely 9 to 5 schedule? If nothing else staggered hours would reduce rush hour congestion and give those like myself a chance to work hours during which they could be more productive. I get less done from 8 AM to 1 PM than from 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM so what's the point?

It's a sad thing when your body clock is as diametrically out of tune with normal work or school hours as mine is and you're dragging ass all the time. :( I can't wait to get back to working at home and setting my own hours again. Actually, left to my own devices I think my body tends to settle into a 25 hour day where I go to sleep an hour or so later each day, so maybe the 24 hour day is also part of the problem, not just the morning hours. However, I can adjust to a 24-hour day when it doesn't involve getting up before noon.

Mercutio

Friday through Sunday are normally the "work for me" days of my week. This weekend I've logged 38 hours. I'm actually looking forward to regular workdays and normal work hours.

Man I'm tired of it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
...This weekend I've logged 38 hours. I'm actually looking forward to regular workdays and normal work hours.

Man I'm tired of it.

I hear ya. In addiditon to my 30 hours a week of normal consulting, I'm putting in an additional 42 hours a week at my new place. I had enough time to do my laundry for the first time in 2 weeks today. Sleep is further down the list.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Finally got a job. Involves tending to an mechanical/optical beastie that uses a Canon EOS-1Ds. Good fun.

ddrueding

Fixture
Had 10 people in for 8 hours tonight, all playing a massive game of COD. Then we went online and spanked a server full of americans playing BF: V

My Saitek X45 and a stolen Huey Gunship are unstoppable. Esp. with my wingman (sitting 32" to my left) covering me for the theft and doing bad things during lateral strafing runs. :D

3:30AM and nothing is open....I'm hungry :(

ddrueding

Fixture
Buck said:
ddrueding said:
Buck said:
ddrueding said:
3:30AM and nothing is open....I'm hungry :(

You need a bartender that can also whip up some snacks.

Unfortunatly, county regs prevent bars from being open past 2AM.

Charge more for the games and offer free alcoholic drinks (2 maximum).

Technically, I'm not supposed to be open past 10PM. I normally just have a few regulars hand around until midnight or so. I continue to work until 3 or 4AM, just getting things dialed-in.

If I were to server alcohol, I would lose my primary clientele (under 21).

ddrueding

Fixture
Something else random; my latest mix CD:

CougTek: Drip/Piss sound
Sublime: Saw Red
Rage Against the Machine: Vietnow
Puddle of Mudd: Control
Dieselboy: Invid
Aphex Twin: Film
Crystal Method: Name of the Game
UNKLE: Eye 4 an Eye
White Stripes: Fell in love with a Girl
DJ Shadow: Building steam with a grain of Salt
Spin Doctors: Jimmy Olsen's Blues
Collective Soul: Gel
CJ Bolland: Electro Power
Twisted Pair: Vampyros Lesbos
Tool: Opiate

It is all over the place, but seems to flow very naturally.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You should look through my online music collection. The first five folders are:

5th Dimension
10,000 Maniacs
ABBA
ACDC

ddrueding

Fixture
My first is .38 Special

11th is 3 Doors Down

22nd is 311

36th is Aaron Copland

39th is ABBA

And 44nd is ACDC

2,080 Folders total in the organized section. I was thinking of using one of the many tools to publish it to the web, not sure which one though.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've messed it up by lumping all of the one-hit wonders into a single group of folders.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
1) Batch processing on a Sat night is a bitch. Fortunately my Dunkin Iced Latte makes it bearable.

2) Dual Xeons make things go by much faster. Now if they would only upgade the 17" LCDs to 20" Dell 2001FPs.

Mercutio

Could be worse. Ever had a real System Operator job?

It goes like this: Bored, Bored, Bored, SWITCH THE TAPES *NOW*, bored, bored, SWITCH THE TAPES *NOW* bored, time to go home.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
System operators don't switch tapes. There are machines that do that.

System operators wait around for alarms to go off, and then call someone to fix it.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Could be worse. Ever had a real System Operator job?

It goes like this: Bored, Bored, Bored, SWITCH THE TAPES *NOW*, bored, bored, SWITCH THE TAPES *NOW* bored, time to go home.

Mu mornign is going like this: Run a batch of images thru an editing program. 30-60 mins later, with a bit of luck the program or Windows hasn't crashed. Then go thru and find pages with images in them. Do image segmentation. Convert to PDF, 5-10 mins. Run thru FineReader. 10-20mins. Save as OCR'd PDF. Repeat. With three machines going there's usually something do.

Mercutio

Pradeep said:
Just confirming that Buffy Season 7 is six discs, just like season 6. Halfway thru disc 3....

Left the house today.
Went to Buffy convention. Lots of cute goth chicks, and I got see David Boreanaz and some other people from "Angel".

Yes, I am huge, tremendous geek.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It amazes me that for a self-confessed shy guy, you frequently go to these conventions teeming with people. I stay away from events like this. Odd contrast of personalities, no?

Mercutio

I'm "making an effort". :p
My favorite TV show is ending this week, and I got to see its star, to hear what he had to say about it. I thought that was worth the discomfort. Besides, there were only maybe 200 people there, and I didn't have to be near or speak to any of them.

Fushigi was probably next door at the Anime convention, now that I think about it.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
It amazes me that for a self-confessed shy guy, you frequently go to these conventions teeming with people. I stay away from events like this.

I'm not a shy person, and I try to avoid these conventions. After going to a Star Trek convention with some friends in college, I think that I'm scarred for life....