Something Random

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've thought about becoming an engineer or conductor... that's about as close as you can get.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Anyone else ever felt like life is lived on rails?
Actually, when I was commuting to college I probably spent a good 3.5 hours a day on some type of rail vehicle (either commuter rail or the subway). It was preferable to the alternative of sleeping away in noisy, filthy dorms. And cheaper as well by a few thousand dollars.

Handruin

Administrator
I think I read into Merc's comment a little too deep (or maybe it was shallow and I thought it was deep) and I never even thought he meant riding a train... :oops:

I thought it was a simile/metaphor...

Life is like living on rails. Every few seconds there are bumps and sounds.
There is a whistle to warn
There is a cow catcher to remove the unknowing
It's hard to slow down once you've gain great momentum
Sometimes it stops to rest and recollect its thoughts
...and occasionally it derails.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
I think I read into Merc's comment a little too deep
Well, you're not alone! My interpretation was a lot darker than your whimsical one; a train is on fixed rails and can't deviate from the predetermined path (derailing doesn't count). There is a feeling of not being in control, of helplessness.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm with mubs and Handy, and yes, I do.

Every once in a great while there is a fork ahead, and you must make the decision rushed and uninformed, then back to "cranking it out"...

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
Where are these forks supposed to be?

Dunno, I only seem to see them in retrospect. Things like not going to college, taking a job, doing heavy drugs, starting a business, etc. It seems the last fork that is forced on you is the "college/not". After that you get a job and can go on cruise control until retirement/death if you so choose (from what I've heard, this was the norm in the 40s/50's).

Are you not happy with a particular aspect? Or just bored?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I get my forks out of the drawer. Maybe yours come from someplace different.

its.fubar

Learning Storage Performance
Is it a interest
that all people do not have the knowledge on everything

Is it a concern to everyone
that all people should not have the knowledge on everything

Is it something
that all people wish to have the knowledge on everything

Is there a time in the future
that all people will have the knowledge on everything

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My typical answer to "How are you today?" is "Dead inside."
Now, how happy do you think I am?

This has the immediate advantage of causing anyone who tries to stop talking to me, but I'm no less serious for saying it.

I've said before that it seems like there really aren't many choices in life. I certainly don't feel like I've had any; everything that's ever happened to me has seemed like a natural reaction to a change that was instigated someplace beyond my control.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
My typical answer to "How are you today?" is "Dead inside."
Now, how happy do you think I am?

This has the immediate advantage of causing anyone who tries to stop talking to me, but I'm no less serious for saying it.

I've said before that it seems like there really aren't many choices in life. I certainly don't feel like I've had any; everything that's ever happened to me has seemed like a natural reaction to a change that was instigated someplace beyond my control.

Well, maybe you need to "start some sh*t" (in the parlance of our times). Seriously, if you are feeling too comfortable, do something stupid. Quit your job and move to Australia for six months (apple picking there is like field work here: under the table, no work permit needed). Go take a tour of Fab 30 in Dresden, or whatever. My next plan is to go back to this little island in Thailand "Ko Bulon" and do nothing but eat and sleep for a few months.

The last time I got seriously wrecked, I spent 7 months living on my psycologist's couch (literally, at her house).

ddrueding

Fixture
ddrueding said:
The last time I got seriously wrecked, I spent 7 months living on my psycologist's couch (literally, at her house).

sorry finishing the thought....

After 7 months of doing nothing, perspective is easier to come by (IMHO)

Handruin said:
Sometimes it stops to rest and recollect its thoughts

its.fubar

Mercutio: I will ask you the question "How are you today?" but please do not say "Dead inside" because if you are "Dead inside" how can you answer me because you must be laying in your coffin when you are "Dead inside" and you certainly will not be "Happy there" done to think.

Mercutio

I have an enormous fear that if I ever stopped working, I wouldn't be able to start again (in part because jobs are hard to come by and in part because of my mental state). I don't take sick time. I don't take vacations. I find something where I get paid and I work. Vacations are for people who have security and no nasty social anxiety issues.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
everything that's ever happened to me has seemed like a natural reaction to a change that was instigated someplace beyond my control.
Aah, my friend, therein lies the secret. The change instigated beyond your control, you can do nothing about. But what is absolutely in your power is how you react. Being creatures of habit, we react in the same, worn-a-groove ways. But you can change that. Not overnight. It's like turning a huge ship around; happens slowly, but it does happen. And there is considerable effort involved. No pain, no gain. ALL that I have read, listened to, pondered on, points this out as the one and only way. Because the only thing you do have control over is yourself.

its.fubar

Mercutio said:
I have an enormous fear that if I ever stopped working, I wouldn't be able to start again (in part because jobs are hard to come by and in part because of my mental state). I don't take sick time. I don't take vacations. I find something where I get paid and I work. Vacations are for people who have security and no nasty social anxiety issues.

I believe that is called a workaholic but if you take medicine I believe it is called Hypochondriac I hope you are not the later and do think about your stress level because I believe that is the number one killer do remember the old saying "too much work makes Jack a dull boy" and do explain what you mean by Vacations is for them that doesn't have any nasty social anxiety issues.

Mercutio

Could you possibly re-phrase that with a proper sentence structure?

You've got the "double quote" down pretty well. Now you just need to work on the
, <---comma
; <---semi-colon
. <---period

Commas are used to seperate lists of nouns and/or adjectives.
Semi-colons are used in place of conjuctions and indicate a length digression or break in thought.
Periods, of course, represent the end of a sentence.

I see need for all three forms in your last post.

its.fubar

Mercutio said:
Could you possibly re-phrase that with a proper sentence structure?

You've got the "double quote" down pretty well. Now you just need to work on the
, <---comma
; <---semi-colon
. <---period

Commas are used to seperate lists of nouns and/or adjectives.
Semi-colons are used in place of conjuctions and indicate a length digression or break in thought.
Periods, of course, represent the end of a sentence.

I see need for all three forms in your last post.

are you suggesting there is something wrong with my grammar he he know don't forget your stress level I have one question for you he he is my spelling OK

p.s I suggest that you reconsider your spelling "seperate" separate and "conjuctions" conjunctions I am certain you will notice the difference if you look. he he

Mercutio

In my case, those are typos.

In your case, the complete abscence of punctuation can only be seen as ignorance or a campaign of deliberately poor use of language.

I believe it's the latter but I'll be perfectly happy to proceed under the former assumption.

its.fubar

Mercutio said:
In my case, those are typos.

In your case, the complete abscence of punctuation can only be seen as ignorance or a campaign of deliberately poor use of language.

I believe it's the latter but I'll be perfectly happy to proceed under the former assumption.

You are quite correct in assuming that it is one or the other but the question is this which one is it but never mind sooner or later the penny will drop and everything will be crystal clear he he

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I would be perfectly happy with an ignore button. I think I get stupider with each and every post I read from its.fubar.

No seriously, I'm not kidding.

its.fubar

timwhit said:
I would be perfectly happy with an ignore button. I think I get stupider with each and every post I read from its.fubar.

timwhit: you have every right to ask for the ignore button but there is one thing that I find confusing why do you read what I post is it because you enjoy becoming and I Quote you" I think I get stupider with each and every post I read from its.fubar" do you see what is confusing me or is it you just like complaining anyway you know we all have a weakness that we have to bear he he

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
timwhit said:

If everyone finds "its" so distasteful, why don't we just kick him off the island... err, site.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Something random I received through email today that I thought some of you might appreciate:

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend named Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such values as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life
isn't always fair. Mr. Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't
spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His already poor health began to deteriorate as well-intentioned but increasingly overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a
six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Mr. Sense had been in poor health as long as any of us knew him, afflicted
with many other ailments well known to all of us in categories of Politics,
Product Design, and Interpersonal Communications, but it was Jurisprudence that finally did him in.

Common Sense gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a
steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a bit in her lap, and was
awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by two stepchildren; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because few realized he was gone.

If you knew him pass this on. If not join the majority and do nothing.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
In the years suffixed with AD, when exactly have churches not been businesses?

Otherwise, an excellent eulogy. Obviously, the sufferings of Mr. Sense were greatly abbreviated.

its.fubar

sechs said:
timwhit said:

If everyone finds "its" so distasteful, why don't we just kick him off the island... err, site.

sechs: I have one question for you are you the other "its-fubar" masquerading as me not good cricket old boy and all that sought of thing he he and ha ha

e_dawg

Storage Freak
sechs said:

Why doesn't everybody just ignore him? People get so worked up over trolls when they put out their troll bait. Don't feed the trolls. Ignore them and they will go away.

Handruin

Administrator
e_dawg...its.fubar is officially gone, so hopefully the problem has been remedied.