Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
The only time I try homebrews is when I'm at my sisters place. She and her fiancee make some great stuff. They started "because it's cheaper" and continue "because it's better". I don't think it's cheaper anymore, considering the quality of the materiels they are using.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
Pradeep, good to hear about your driver's license, but sad to hear about your truck. If it is just a valve cover gasket, then a fix should be easy enough.

I had a valve cover gasket go on my olde Toyota Corolla. No worries, a little bit of oil leaking. Sadly this is a bit more serious, the valve cover is pushed up about 1.5-2 inches on the higher side of the block. There was a nasty metallic hitting noise when she went. Given the price I paid for it and the fact she's held together mostly by rust, I'm going car shopping on Wednesday.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks. Anyone have any suggestions on new cars? My budget is under 20K, preferably closer to 15. Currently looking at an 04 Mitsu Lancer, or perhaps a Mazda 5.

I will never buy a Ford as long as I live.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
2 adults in front, 2 kids in the back. Basically need a family car. Minivan would be nice but they are pretty expensive.

Right now wife has a Taurus (whilst admittedly a piece of crap, it is roomy, with a big boot).

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Oh and a decent warranty. That's why I'm tempted by Mitsu 10 year/ 100K powertrain. Makes Ford's 3/36 look like the joke it is.

Handruin

Administrator
What about the new scion tC? Looks like a decent ride, and rumour has it in your price range...

2005 Scion tC Preliminary Specifications

Engine
2.4-liter four-cylinder DOHC with VVT-i (2AZ-FE)
Horsepower 160@5,700 rpm
Torque 163@4,000 rpm
Fuel System EFI

Powertrain
Five-speed manual transmission or four-speed automatic transmission

Suspension
Front/rear Independent MacPherson struts/Double-wishbone

Wheels and Tires
Standard 7JJ x 17-inch split six-spoke alloy wheels with P215/45 R17 tires

Brakes
Four-wheel disc brakes with standard ABS

Exterior Dimensions (inches)
Wheelbase 106.3
Overall Length 174.0
Overall Width 69.1
Overall Height 55.7

tc02.jpg

tc03.jpg

tc04.jpg

tc05.jpg

tc06.jpg

tc07.jpg

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
...but it does look pretty sweet anyways. Didn't see it at the Chicago Autoshow a couple weeks ago either, which is kind of weird.

Handruin

Administrator
Given the price of the car, I think it looks pretty damn nice and has a nice set of options.

I went to a car show a few months back and they didn't have this model either. They had the other two cars on display, both were even less expensive. ($12k-$14K if I remember correctly)

You don't need snow tires...it's front wheel drive... :p

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
Given the price of the car, I think it looks pretty damn nice and has a nice set of options.

I went to a car show a few months back and they didn't have this model either. They had the other two cars on display, both were even less expensive. ($12k-$14K if I remember correctly)

FWD is great for snow, but I still like the rear end to stay where it belongs :D

That is a great price for the specs they give. Is that a new brand, Scion? Looks like a Suby emblem on the front.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:

hahaha very funny. My car is absolutely horrible in the snow. It isn't about fwd or rwd it is all about what kind of tires the car has. The Z rated tires on my Sentra Spec-V get no traction at all. Next winter I am going to be getting some snow tires to put on it.

Handruin

Administrator
Please note the :p

How's the snow in your area? I didn't buy snow tires, but I also don't have Z rated tires... I have V rated Michelin HX MXM4 in the size of 215/50 R17. The traction is average...I've had worse.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Ya, I saw the :p. We haven't had that much snow this year, but I drove out to Aspen, Co over Christmas and they get plenty of snow. My car barely made it over Loveland Pass (12,000 ft, 6-8% grade). I was getting no traction and was moving at about 1 mph in first gear at 6000RPM. The road was also tilted to the side so my car was sliding into the next lane. So I was taking up 2 lanes (out of 3) going 1mph and continuing to slide into the next lane. Everyone else on the road must have thought I was out of my mind to be up there in blizzard conditions in that car. I created a quarter mile gap between my car and the cars in front of me.

Never again will I try to drive a sports car over a 12,000ft pass in January without snow tires or chains.

Handruin

Administrator
Wow dude, that sounded stressful. I hate how cars slide to one side and you have to fight the wheel to pull the car back while the tires are spinning in the snow.

There are a couple steep hills around here that normally I pay no attention to. (nothing like the hill you mentioned) But these 3-4% grade hills cause some backups because people can't make it up them in the snow. Many times I've seen people in their RWD cars stuck in the middle of the road.

I went to school in Fitchburg mass, which is noted to being the 2nd hilliest city in the country next to San Fran. Those were some crazy times in the snow.

ddrueding

Fixture
That story reminds me of a fun time in a lexus in tahoe...it was fun 'cause the luxus wasn't mine ;)

If you're one for practicality, I can reccomend a VW golf. Hardly a looker, but the price is reasonable, the power is acceptible, and it's more versitlile than any compact I've seen. With the back seats folded flush, the hatch area is very comfy for two ;)

I've put 50,000 miles on mine on the last 14 months, not a single issue to complain about. No squeaks, rattles, the handling is still great, and my last tank cost me about 40 cents a mile. And I really thrash this car.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Pradeep said:
Oh and a decent warranty. That's why I'm tempted by Mitsu 10 year/ 100K powertrain. Makes Ford's 3/36 look like the joke it is.
I currently drive a Mitsu; a '99 Galant with 84K miles on the odo. It's been the most trouble-free car I've ever owned and has given me less stress than everything I've owned before, which included a Nissan (85 Sentra), Mercury (8? Topaz POS), Toyota (88 Camry; 1st wife's car), and a Mazda (93 MX-3) that would blow the trans every 36K miles.

Having been a little unsure about Mitsus at the time, I had purchased an extended warranty as the base warranty at the time was 3/36 or something like that. I needn't have worried.

BTW, Mitsu's 10/100 warranty is a direct lift from Hyundai. Mitsu hired away the guy credited with Hyundai's turnaround.

And speaking of Hyundai's, if you want comfortable, reliable transport, check the Elantra. For a street price of $11-14K you get an awful lot, including the 10/100 warranty. My wife's had one for 3 years and it's been 100% trouble-free. Even headlights & wipers are covered by the warranty.

The best place for reading up on cars is generally http://www.edmunds.com.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Well I've narrowed it down to an Elantra GLS (thanks Fushigi), or a Chevy Silverado 2WD pickup. Prob go with the Elantra, as the Silverado can only seat 3.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
My sister has the Elantra for I believe the past two years and she's very happy with it. No problems so far, and I think it has a 10-year, 100K mile warranty on the drivetrain.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
jtr1962 said:
My sister has the Elantra for I believe the past two years and she's very happy with it. No problems so far, and I think it has a 10-year, 100K mile warranty on the drivetrain.
01 and up have a 10/100 power train + a 5/50 or 5/60 (don't remember which) bumper-to-bumper which includes roadside assistance.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks everyone. I picked up an '04 Elantra GLS, manual with cruise, CD, and power moonroof. All the other power stuff comes standard (windows, mirrors, keyless entry. Plus they had a very cheap warranty upgrade to 10/100,000 bumper-to-bumper which I got as well. The only real downside I could see was that the resale values are pretty bad, but I plan on keeping this for 10 years so that's not a worry. Pretty nifty performance for a compact car. The boys were impressed. It's in Rally Red, which as we all know makes it go faster.

I tell you what tho, it's hard shifting a manual when you are used to using the other hand.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Pradeep is going to turn into a murderous zombie. That'll teach him not to use worchestershire sauce as embalming fluid.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I put some antibiotic cream in my eyes, stung like a bitch and blurred vision for long time. Now I'm having a hard time swallowing, wife says it's prob strep. Might have to see the voodoo doctor tomorrow.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Throat is a little better today, might be the shit dripping off the back of my eyes into my throat.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't know why it works but lots of water with lemon juice (no sugar) keeps my throat from getting sore when I have sinus drainage.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The water thins the mucous and the acid in lemon juice denatures the mucin strands, so that the mucous slides more easily into your stomach, without wearing off the lining of your pharynx.