Something Random

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I would contend that experience teaching (as opposed to researching and publishing) actually matters. But then my background is from a small private liberal arts college (Willamette University). There were no TA's (The largest class I ever took had less than 30 students) and almost all of the teachers I had were PhD's even for the beginning classes like trig. or the starting writing classes that everyone had to take.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What is up with the TV shows where there us a number sign and then a word or two every few minutes? I suppose there is some just awesome secret sh*t on the I pad, but it is really ANNOYING if one simply wants to watch the program. :(

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Screen overlays during a show are one of the major reasons I can't watch normal tv programming. Don't know why paying for cable allow it.

LunarMist

Screen overlays during a show are one of the major reasons I can't watch normal tv programming. Don't know why paying for cable allow it.

I think it is embedded in the video, not like the closed captioning that can be turned off. :(

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The cable can be turned off and not paid for.

Comcast actually called me a couple weeks ago and said we noticed you only get internet from us, who is your TV provider? Guy was shocked when I said no one, I don't watch TV. His script had nothing for that response I guess, that sales call ended quick. I didn't give him a rant on why because lets face it, he didn't care.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd like to make the observation that Mercutio has made more than 16,000 posts in this forum, and thank him for his contribution to making this the kind of place it is.

Thanks Merc!

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I don't like the idea of a watch with only a 7 day battery life. That being said, it certainly looks cool and is relatively inexpensive.

ddrueding

Fixture
What is that plan, something like a pyramid scheme?

Not a pyramid, just a single layer. They have an idea, you pay something in exchange for something when the project is finished, they take that money and do their idea. If it works you get your thing. Think of it as getting a business loan from your customers.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Looks neat. I would have to get glasses a half inch thick or carry a magnifying glass around to use it. :-D

LunarMist

So basically you are pre-ordering and paying for the watch to be manufactured. That is a risky and crappy deal for the consumer.

ddrueding

Fixture
So basically you are pre-ordering and paying for the watch to be manufactured. That is a risky and crappy deal for the consumer.

If the product is available any other way, yes it is. If you are willing to bet on something that no corporation has, there are risks involved. But it also allows much more agility compared to a major corporation and normal market research based products.

Handruin

Administrator

That's why it's a kickstarter. It's a community backing idea used to raise capital for a project or idea you believe in. If the goal is met, the project is funded and your money goes toward their effort. Doing so usually gives you some benefit above and beyond when the product is released to the public. Some benefits include a discount, extra credit where your name is involved, extra perks, etc. I've backed several projects over the past year and it's been a win/win every time. You have to choose carefully and also be willing to take a risk/gamble. Not all ideas or projects are going to go well. That's part of the risk/reward.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One of my co-workers had a stamping-her-feet-on-the-floor-jumping-up-and-down-red-in-the-face temper tantrum yesterday because I said I didn't have time to move our servers and infrastructure hardware over to our new office today.
I don't have room for a rack. My installation is going to be ugly and I'm not looking forward to doing it. Anything I do is going to look like I half-assed it.

LunarMist

What was the move date on the site master plan? Does she have grounds for complaint?

LunarMist

You live in a different world to most of my clients. They tell me the day they realize they need it done, and I tell them when I think I can get to it.

Most of the projects I work on have 10-15 year life cycles, if they don't get canceled first.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, maybe they only need a short Gantt chart in MS project, but there should be something.

Gantt chart...around here they are called 'can't' charts. For a while they were posted every where for even minor task. But I haven't seen one in the
last 15 years.

LunarMist

Gantt chart...around here they are called 'can't' charts. For a while they were posted every where for even minor task. But I haven't seen one in the
last 15 years.

Heh. Mostly I print the text part. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, maybe they only need a short Gantt chart in MS project, but there should be something.

The most I may have is a chain of e-mails. The average is probably a voicemail from a panicked manager. Worst case is a phone call that doesn't specify anything and just mentions "some issues".

Mercutio

There are wall-mounted rackmount cabinets. Nothing forbids you to buy more than one to fitt all your servers too if one's not enough. You won't tell me there isn't a wall that's free for a rackmount cabinet, won't you?

They ran my cables to a shallow utility closet. The closet is exactly as deep as a as a 24 port patch panel is wide. Wanna know how I know that? Because the panel is installed on the side wall of the closet.
That must be covered in one of those "special" EIA specs for structured cabling.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Ouch, I've seen some bad cabinet installations, but that is up there with the best of them.

One of the worst ones I've seen was a full height 42RU rack installation installed into a closet that barely fit in the rack (about 2" space on each side). In the rack was to go 3 UPSes (2U), 6 servers (4U), 2 switches, router and 2 patch panels, keyboard/mouse/monitor + KVM. Oh, and no air con or extraction vent either, with solid core door on the front. (According to security policy, the door was to be locked at all times, unless working on the server).

I was glad I was there just to install the equipment, but no maintain it. (And we did warn of heat issues). Muahahahaha

PS. The servers were all dual P3's, with 10K SCSI drives. (10K Cheetahs from memorry).

ddrueding

Fixture
Sounds like you get to go to a pair of rails 19" apart with the servers hung from them. I've had to do that before; it wasn't pretty.

Or you can have some shelves installed and switch to (shallow) tower cases.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Well maybe it's time to do like your lesbian friends and to get out of the closet. Otherwise, with modern equipment, you are bound to have heat issues.

About the cables all going out from a wall inside the closet ; ask yourself : "What would Coug do to that wall and the one next to it that is not inside the closet?" Then do what Coug would do.

Mercutio

I went with the tried and true "stack crap on my fancy new desk" method. I figure that I have a laptop and the sofa in the lobby is pretty comfortable.

LunarMist

Week 24 is shaping up to be a cluster****. Why is everything a problem when I go on holiday?