Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
I suspect Merc is in the same boat I am; while I am gone, nothing will happen. At best the work will simply pile up so that when you return you are colossally far behind. At worst you are called constantly while away, even being dragged home before you intended to.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
When I take days off I wind up spending tons of time on the phone or responding to emails because someone doesn't know how to do something and that invariably leads to some kind of emergency. Besides, there really isn't any place I want to go or anything I really feel like I should do other than go to work.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
When I take days off I wind up spending tons of time on the phone or responding to emails because someone doesn't know how to do something and that invariably leads to some kind of emergency. Besides, there really isn't any place I want to go or anything I really feel like I should do other than go to work.

I like to go on holiday 6,000-12,000 moose from home/work where I am incommunicado.

ddrueding

Fixture
I get to do emergency data recovery on a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB. I don't even have an IDE machine kicking around anywhere. Do they make a parallel IDE USB toaster?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've found a production server, charged of displaying one of our two main web sites (which customers pay to access), that has a RAID 0 configured as its boot drive and without any redundancy (no daily/weekly backups, not even another computer setup identically in order to replace in case there's a fuck with our server). The drives in it are 3 years old and the computer has always been running 24x7.

I'm so freaking happy.

ddrueding

Fixture
Dunno about toaster style, but I've used similar devices to this in the past with some success. Might need to get IDE PCI card.

That happens to be the very device I have in my hand now. The cable works great, but the power side of things is a pain. They ship with a power cable, but those are so useful they end up in use elsewhere.

Stereodude

Not really a
Why does a lot of Yahoo's content not work correctly if you don't allow scripts from facebook.net to run? I must be missing something.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I am now a certified open water scuba diver.
Congratulations, but why? Except for the Tennessee river, where the Hell can you dive near Chattanooga? And like most rivers near industrial cities, I don't think you should dive into it.

I can't dive since I don't float. Well, technically, I can dive, but I'll drown because I won't be able to resurface.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I destroyed my phone again. Thanks to the stupid Windows activation center this time. I should create a chronicle of these events and make statistics out of it. I don't know exactly how frequently I terminate my home phone, but it must happen four or five times a year for sure.

LunarMist

I destroyed my phone again. Thanks to the stupid Windows activation center this time. I should create a chronicle of these events and make statistics out of it. I don't know exactly how frequently I terminate my home phone, but it must happen four or five times a year for sure.

Windows phones require activation? What a bunch of crap.

LunarMist

Windows phones require activation? What a bunch of crap.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
No, I just didn't find the right number to make it restart the second number sequence. By the fifth sequence, my wires touched. I refuse to talk to their system. Everything should be done simply by pressing numbers on the phone.

LunarMist

I'm on holiday nest week and trying to get through some work. It will only be worse when I return.