Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
That is OK. It can take decades to fully develop skills. If you are happy with most photos in the first year or two, you may never progress to a higher level.

I doubt Merc's issues were with the image quality.

For me, I'm happy with about 1:300, pleased with 1:1000, proud of exactly 5 so far (out of 40,000+?)

fb

Storage is cool
Is there really an IKEA in every major town in Sweden? :silent:
Yes, but we only have about three "major" cities. But there are 17 IKEA stores so I gues we have a pretty high rate of IKEAs per capita.

And when it comes to the girls I can't really complain (even if my girlfriend/mother of my son is from Peru.) Just be sure to avoid Härnösand where they all look like tractor drivers. :)

Stereodude

Not really a
Yes, but we only have about three "major" cities. But there are 17 IKEA stores so I gues we have a pretty high rate of IKEAs per capita.
It looks like we have 37 of them in the US.

So we've got 37 for 300+ million people and Sweden has 17 of them for <10million people. I bet there aren't tour buses in the IKEA parking lots in Sweden. :-D

fb

Storage is cool
Yes we usually have tour buses and perhaps a few caravans in the IKEA parking lots. :viking:

Sorry... no Walmart in Sweden.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I doubt Merc's issues were with the image quality.

I was taking pictures of the Wrigley building in downtown Chicago. A city cop got exceptionally belligerent about the fact that I was taking pictures of a building.

Honestly, that's the experience that soured me most. I like buildings and people. People get all paranoid if you take pictures of them, so I don't do that. And apparently cops get pissy if you take pictures of buildings.

I have a P&S I take to comic conventions (too hard for me to use an SLR in those conditions) and I take pictures of IT equipment with my cell phone camera. That's about all I do now.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I was only there for a few nights a year and did not go out, but the greater Louisville area has some interesting things to offer visitors. I'm sure there are some nice women too, if you'd only go out.

I actually know a young woman from there. I'll probably meet her and her boyfriend one night. But other than that, I'm not seeing anything that seems any more entertaining than spending a great deal of time in a hotel room.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yes we usually have tour buses and perhaps a few caravans in the IKEA parking lots. :viking:
Where are they coming from that they come in large groups over long distances? With 17 stores for 9 million people it can't be that long of a drive for people right?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
What, you've never heard of RVs squatting in Walmart parking lots during cross-country travel? I think he was making an analogy.

Sol

Storage is cool
Where are they coming from that they come in large groups over long distances? With 17 stores for 9 million people it can't be that long of a drive for people right?

You're assuming they're actually there to shop and not just to take advantage of the free parking...

Mercutio said:
I was taking pictures of the Wrigley building in downtown Chicago. A city cop got exceptionally belligerent about the fact that I was taking pictures of a building.

This seems to be really common given how stupid it is... I mean do they think it's some sort of intellectual property infringement (Copyright, trademark or one of the many "all rights" that are so often reserved without explanation)? Do they think they're foiling a terrorist plot by some incredibly slow, artistic, and easily deterred super villain with a fiendish plan to bring down America (Or often the UK), freedom, truth, and incidentally the worlds largest manufacturer of chewing gum?

Anyway as off putting as I'm sure that experience was it seems like an over reaction to let that spoil photography for you forever if it was something you felt you could enjoy. Not all cops are dicks and there are lots of places with relatively few police officers making the odds pretty good that you won't run in to another with the same weird hangup.
Plus it's Kentucky, that's practically the wild west... Imagine all the interesting characters you could take photos of in a real Kentucky holding cell while waiting for your employer to come bail you out on that overblown assaulting an officer charge... (Or waiting for the transport to gitmo on that overblown terrorism charge I guess).

But none of that is really helpful so maybe you should just download a stack of TV shows and watch them in your spare time... I'd recommend the series Justified, it's had a promising start.

note: My perception of Kentucky may not be based on reality.

Handruin

Administrator
That's unfortunate that one police officer ruined your experience of taking pictures with your SLR. Try it again some time, you'll be fine. I can't believe you'll go to jail or anything for taking a picture of a building.

theSwede

What is this storage?

Sweden is not very densely populated and it is over 1200 miles from north to south. There are a lot of swedes that have a looong way to the nearest Ikea.

One of the newest Ikea's were built in Haparanda in the far north of Sweden a couple of years ago and there are actually quite a lot of people that travel from Norway, Finland and Russia to visit.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
What, you've never heard of RVs squatting in Walmart parking lots during cross-country travel? I think he was making an analogy.

In a Walmart add a few years ago, Walmart encouraged RVers to park in their parking lots. Better than falling asleep at the wheel. (been there, done that)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I received a blue ray disc. I can't decide what to do with it yet. :dunno:

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, FWIW you can hook a blu-ray player up to a non HDTV.

You could also get a Blu-Ray ROM drive for your PC and use playback software (assuming your display is HDCP compliant).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Look it over, is it one of the ones with a portable version offer? I never tried that but apparently it is a download or something so you can load it on a phone.

Sol

Storage is cool
Do you have an appropriate sharpener? Blu-Ray disks are generally shipped blunt for much the same reasons DVDs. You can use a DVD or CD sharpener but a proper HD sharpener will give you a much better edge...

LunarMist

I saw a blue ray disc once and it looked exactly the same as a DVD to my weakly naked eyes. Isn't it mainly just a smaller process with different laser and lens? Why would there be a difference in edge sharpness.

LunarMist

I dropped a CD and cut my toe long ago, when discs were only 650MB.

LunarMist

So does that mean everyone will need to purchase a new blue ray player soon?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
So does that mean everyone will need to purchase a new blue ray player soon?

Most likely...

And let us not forget about 3D support... (which I've heard will be a firmware upgrade for the PS3).

PS. In some ways I'm glad I'm still using a 68cm/27" CRT TV w/DVD player via component. The rate of change in technology and expecting a more than 5yr life from it is getting hard to believe. Mind you, Elin and I are waiting for the kids to grow up a bit, before moving towards a LCD/Plamsa w/Bluray setup. For some reason CRT's seem to take punishment of a toddler far better than a $10K LCD TV... And now queue, the "back in my day, our toddlers were too busy stuffing their toast in the betamax player" jokes.

ddrueding

Fixture
The 50GB disks are fine, the new disks will require a new player, but are likely only to be for data; even 3D, 1080P, extended edition films will easily fit on a 50GB disk.

Of course, the new players will be able to support all the current formats as well.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Although the Blu-ray Disc specification has been finalized, engineers continue to work on advancing the technology. Quad-layer (100 GB) discs have been demonstrated on a drive with modified optics (TDK version) and standard unaltered optics ("Hitachi used a standard drive.").[104][105] Hitachi stated that such a disc could be used to store 7 hours of 32 Mbit/s video (HDTV) or 3 hours and 30 minutes of 64 Mbit/s video (Cinema 4K). In August 2006, TDK announced that they have created a working experimental Blu-ray Disc capable of holding 200 GB of data on a single side, using six 33 GB data layers.[106]
In December 2008, Pioneer Corporation unveiled a 400 GB Blu-ray Disc (containing 16 data layers, 25 GB each) that will be compatible with current players after a firmware update. Its planned launch is in the 2009–10 time frame for ROM and 2010–13 for rewritable discs. Ongoing development is under way to create a 1 TB Blu-ray Disc as soon as 2013.[112]
3D Blu-Ray

The Blu-ray Disc Association created a task force made up of executives from the film industry and the consumer electronics and IT sectors to help define standards for putting 3D film and 3D television content on a Blu-ray Disc.[116] On Dec. 17, 2009 the BDA officially announced 3D specs for Blu-ray Disc, allowing backward compatibility with current 2D Blu-ray players.[117] "The Blu-ray 3D specification calls for encoding 3D video using the "Stereo High" profile defined by Multiview Video Coding (MVC), an extension to the ITU-T H.264 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) codec currently supported by all Blu-ray Disc players. MPEG4-MVC compresses both left and right eye views with a typical 50% overhead compared to equivalent 2D content, and can provide full 1080p resolution backward compatibility with current 2D Blu-ray Disc players." [118] Also, according to Sony, PlayStation 3 consoles will be eligible for a firmware upgrade to display the 3D discs.
All well and good but I want 3D blu-ray & 4k Cinema disks .... v 4 that!

Panasonic Develops World’s Largest 152-Inch Full HD 3D Plasma Display 4k2k

^Hmm, at over 12+ diagonal, not being a genius IQ I can't do the sides of a triangle calc off the top of my head, to figure approx height? Would it fit through a normal height door, tilted at an angle???

LunarMist

PS. In some ways I'm glad I'm still using a 68cm/27" CRT TV w/DVD player via component. The rate of change in technology and expecting a more than 5yr life from it is getting hard to believe.

I have a 27' TV as well. It is from the 1990s.

And now queue, the "back in my day, our toddlers were too busy stuffing their toast in the betamax player" jokes.

Back in my day there were B&W TVs with tubes. No color and no recorders. The first video recorder I saw was a 3/4" Sony U-Matic. I think it was around 1971 or 1972. Man it was amazing to see a replay at the time.