Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not old enough to have "back in my day" lines; but the TV we had when I was a kid had two channels, and one of them only came in if you were touching the antenna. Then I tried to "fix" it when I was 8 or 9, and we didn't have a TV at all for a couple years. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm in need of something and can't believe I can't find it.

I need a tool that can punch a hole in a piece of paper, much like an ordinary hand punch, but with one special requirement. I need to be able to punch single holes anywhere on a sheet of 8.5"x11" transparency with some accuracy. Hole size can be anywhere from 0.25 to 0.4 inches in diameter, with accuracy to within 0.1 inch without too much effort.

I've found tons of hole punches with a 2" max reach, and paper drills for as little as $800. I just need to put 30 holes in a single sheet of transparency once a week, and my current technique (shop knife) is too time consuming.

Help please.

Sol

Storage is cool
I'm in need of something and can't believe I can't find it.

I need a tool that can punch a hole in a piece of paper, much like an ordinary hand punch, but with one special requirement. I need to be able to punch single holes anywhere on a sheet of 8.5"x11" transparency with some accuracy. Hole size can be anywhere from 0.25 to 0.4 inches in diameter, with accuracy to within 0.1 inch without too much effort.

I've found tons of hole punches with a 2" max reach, and paper drills for as little as $800. I just need to put 30 holes in a single sheet of transparency once a week, and my current technique (shop knife) is too time consuming.

Help please.

You need a .308 caliber target rifle. If you want to get one for under $800 you'll need to go second hand. If you can stand slightly smaller holes a .22 target air rifle would be better for indoor use (And should also create nicer holes with greater accuracy).

If you don't need the range a cheap .22 air pistol and something to help you aim at close range (and deflect pellets away from your eyes) would actually work really well, be potentially safe enough for an office environment, and be so much more fun than a hole punch.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
What about a drill press thing. You know the ones where a drill is mounted with the drill bit pointed down and you use a lever to bring it down to cut a hole in whatever you have. You can probably change the bit to size. My concern is that the transparency would hold up under the force or wouldn't stay put.

Anyway, why do you need to cut 30 holes in a transparency?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Seagate 600 GB 3.5" 10K SAS drive: $500
Custom carbon fibre disk sled: $400
Getting the performance you originally paid for: priceless.

Seriously tho, IIRC there was an article about rolling your own massive disk arrays (48+ drives in a rack mount unit). I believe they had to do some vibration reduction work to avoid issues (rubber buffers?).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That may be the article I was revering to, maybe it was a video? At any rate the sound isolating enclosures should do the same I think. If the sound doesn't come out it doesn't go in either.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Ah, I was thinking of the vibratory effects of 40+ drives in a single chassis. I.e. the problem is within the box.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Interesting, I will have to keep looking for their updated post on vibration.

I found the video I was thinking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

Kind of wondering how those drive pods with an integrated high speed fan on the back fair when that fan vibrates a bit. Lower performance and maybe early death of drives not related to heat?

ddrueding

Fixture
Quit my job today...

Why does it feel so good when you tell your boss that you are leaving their employment?

Even if they were a good boss, and even if it was a good, successful company, setting off on a new adventure is always a good feeling. The dream hasn't been ruined by reality yet ;)

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Quit my job today...

Why does it feel so good when you tell your boss that you are leaving their employment?

Nice. Usually I'm all smiles and grins, knowing that in 2 weeks I'll be sipping Bombays at 9am whilst the establishment gets ready for another day of obedience to the dollar. Hard part is leaving friends behind.

Even better for you you bastard, you can soon get the cheap drinkies from the Uni bar I'm assuming.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You have something else lined up. I don't like the quitting at all but I am generally excited about getting to the new place.

Stinker

What is this storage?
PORTAL is a free Source based game available on Steam. Pretty fun, especially for FREE!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Quit my job today...

I sincerely hope you have some plans for moving forward. Maybe it's 'cause I'm living in 15%+ Unemployment-land, but right now I have to think a steady paycheck is worth a hell of a lot of aggravation.

One way or the other, I hope stuff works out for you.

I'm pretty sure my own job isn't going to last out the year. I'm trying to decide what I should do about it, with leading options including moving to someplace that doesn't suck or trying to make it on the contracting customers I have now.

ddrueding

Fixture
Tech unemployment around here is still in the double-digits, but those with skills are still getting jobs at good rates. There is still stuff around, it just doesn't grow on trees anymore.