Something Random

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm less worried about the missing nut (but it was there when I started, honest) than the fact that the car's been in a collision serious enough to break a wheel lug. It would make me wonder about brake integrity etc.

Oh I am aware of the hidden potentials. A friend of mine back in Tassie got a little sideways in his Torana and snapped both wheels off one side when he met the curb head on. It was like the Back to the future delorean when the wheels tuck in :)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Stay below 50km/h and it *should* be fine. And no hard turning either or excessive start/stopping.

Insurance wise, get it towed. (Most insurance companies will deem the vehicle unserviceable in that condition, and wont acknowledge the claim in the event of an accident).

Deductible is $500, repair should be cheaper, I won't be making a claim. I'll do the tow truck option. Cheers.

Handruin

Administrator
There were 4 on after the hit. Drive home was less than a mile, very low speeds, and half of that was thru school roads. I couldn't change the tire at the location as school buses come right by there. My wifes car and she drives like a nutter so God knows what speed. The wheel wasn't destroyed tho so it was prob 5/10 mph max.

The thread broke off when I was trying to loosen the nut with the lug wrench. It was torqued like a mofo (put on at the tire shop when the snow season started).

Oh, if there were 4, then I wouldn't have worried about it. I thought you went from 4 to 3 which is a bit risky, but from 5 to 4, I don't worry as much.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Oh, if there were 4, then I wouldn't have worried about it. I thought you went from 4 to 3 which is a bit risky, but from 5 to 4, I don't worry as much.

Yeah the latter, the wheels only use 4 nuts at the best of times. So it was from 4 down to 3. I agree, 5 nuts would have been handy. I imagine the Genesis uses 5.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Anyone else working over the ling weekend? :tounge:
It's not a ling weekend here, not even a long weekend, but I'll still be working both Saturday and Sunday. I'm sure Mercutio will too (I'm a telepath). DingDrueding will almost certainly find some time for the office and wife deprivation.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Anyone else working over the ling weekend? :tounge:

Just something on Sunday. Most of this weekend, I'm helping my parents pack for their move to one of those states where they still fly confederate flags and haven't discovered shoes yet.

My parents are moving to a home that cost three quarters of a million dollars and my dad still won't pay for movers.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Finally hit my gmail free limit. So attempting to delete all 890,000 spam emails is not working too well. Can't get into the Spam folder to select all and try again from my phone either. The mobile version doesn't have a "select all" function.

ddrueding

Fixture
Finally hit my gmail free limit. So attempting to delete all 890,000 spam emails is not working too well. Can't get into the Spam folder to select all and try again from my phone either. The mobile version doesn't have a "select all" function.

My Google SPAM folder autodeletes after 30 days. I never touch it or look at it, but it seems stable in the ~150 messages range.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture

Why would you wait for 890,000 spams to accumulate?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I agree. The more I read about this the madder I get. Sadly, in the end BP will likely end up paying for a fraction of the damage they caused, the area around the Gulf of Mexico will be messed up for generations, and then we'll all wait until the next screw-up occurs. Only next time it might be 2 billion barrels.

When you see the pressures involved ( I calculated in the neighborhood of 40,000 psi given the depth of the reserve ), it's easy to see why they're having such trouble shutting it down. This whole scenario is really like opening Pandora's box. These kinds of wells never should have been drilled in the first place. In essence this is a crude oil volcano which will continue until the source runs dry.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Went to a nice dinner Saturday; some pegs of Glenlivet 15 yo, great Italian food, topped off with a very satisfying glass of Drambuie. Now I want a bottle of that stuff.

Stereodude

Not really a
If we're going to sit around and blame BP we had better dang sure sit around and blame the environmentalists who have systematically restricted drilling on land and in shallow water to the point where the only place they can drill wells is in deep water where everything is more problematic. We as a society need oil. That need isn't going to go away overnight no matter what politicians might say. Why we're so willing to deny our own access to our own oil and then sit around and complain about foreign oil is beyond me.

Lets also not forget that the Obama administration has no real interest in helping mitigate the effects because they want to make sure the majority of the public is against drilling by allow it to get as bad as possible. Just ask Bobby Jindal. The feds won't let them build barrier islands to protect the real coastline. Or ask Kevin Costner who can't deploy his fleet of fancy oil water separating machines because of gov't red tape. Of course the media is there doing their job hyping it up the oil spill like it's the end of the world.

Lastly this is not even close to being the worst oil spill in the Gulf. The Ixtoc I spill was far worse (in 1979) and oddly enough the Gulf has been fine despite all that oil.

ddrueding

Fixture
If we're going to sit around and blame BP we had better dang sure sit around and blame the environmentalists who have systematically restricted drilling on land and in shallow water to the point where the only place they can drill wells is in deep water where everything is more problematic. We as a society need oil. That need isn't going to go away overnight no matter what politicians might say. Why we're so willing to deny our own access to our own oil and then sit around and complain about foreign oil is beyond me.

Um, no. There is no hard limit on the amount of oil required at any time. It is relatively inelastic, but market forces are still plenty effective, especially over the long term. Just because we are unable to produce X barrels of oil a day does not cause the world to end. Stating that we had to do something stupid to try and get oil because we couldn't do something else stupid to get oil is patently ridiculous.

On an unrelated note, I believe that it is possible to safely extract oil from this and other sources. It is BP's failure to adhere to their own safety standards and procedures that screwed them. Their failure to have significantly larger repair/rescue infrastructure in place should also be looked into. It is just a matter of money. There could be an amazing level of redundancy and safety for a cost of $100/barrel, and it doesn't look like companies will do it unless we make them.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
We as a society need oil. That need isn't going to go away overnight no matter what politicians might say. Why we're so willing to deny our own access to our own oil and then sit around and complain about foreign oil is beyond me.
We need oil for now BUT the part which annoys me is our needs may have been WAY less had we started systematically getting off the stuff after the first oil crisis in the 1970s. Cars got more efficient for a while which was good. And GM made an attempt at an electric car in the early 1990s ( which may well have succeeded had they mass-produced it ). And then SUVs happened. :( Also, air travel expanded greatly. We never built a national high-speed railway system which could have replaced a lot of those short and medium distance flights. In short, our demand for oil is now higher than it might otherwise have been because of both profligate waste and failure to plan by those on top. In my opinion, we need to pretty much get off oil entirely for transportation ( and it can be done in a decade if we put our minds to it ). We'll still need oil of course, but mainly to make plastics or pave the roads, not to wastefully burn. And we'll need a heck of a lot less of it, so there will be no need to drill in questionable places.

I guess I'm as annoyed with those who led the country to this point as I am with BP. Oil dependency is a bad thing on many levels. Look at the havoc on the economy every time the price of gas rises. We need to get off the stuff, if for no other reason than to have a more stable economy.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If we're going to sit around and blame BP we had better dang sure sit around and blame the environmentalists who have systematically restricted drilling on land and in shallow water to the point where the only place they can drill wells is in deep water where everything is more problematic.

Oh, so being reckless and cutting corners was a silent protest by BP, et all. Good to know. Seems like a very emotional response there.

Lastly this is not even close to being the worst oil spill in the Gulf. The Ixtoc I spill was far worse (in 1979) and oddly enough the Gulf has been fine despite all that oil.

Worst in what sense? Economic cost? Miles of costline affected?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

Lets also not forget that the Obama administration has no real interest in helping mitigate the effects because they want to make sure the majority of the public is against drilling by allow it to get as bad as possible. Just ask Bobby Jindal. The feds won't let them build barrier islands to protect the real coastline. Or ask Kevin Costner who can't deploy his fleet of fancy oil water separating machines because of gov't red tape. Of course the media is there doing their job hyping it up the oil spill like it's the end of the world.

BP tried to take shortcuts, trying to hurry it up and get to the next drill site. Bypassing normal safety processes is never a good thing with a critical system like this. End result is 11 workers dead and a bubbling hole in the seafloor. I believe the saying is "Don't try to run before you have learnt to walk".

But clearly the finger of blame can be pointed at the dam tree huggers. What are the side effects of the chemical they are mixing with the spill? I've seen it likened to Agent Orange.

And yes, it is ironic that many attempts to minimise the spill effects are blocked by rolls of red tape all over the place. The same red tape that was brushed aside by the Feds in charge of the drilling. The saying for that is "don't bother closing the barn door after the horses have bolted."

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I was just thinking, perhaps France could do one of their "underwater tests" at the location in question.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Radiation treatments daily and chemo once a week for 8-12 weeks does not sound good. :boom:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I was just thinking, perhaps France could do one of their "underwater tests" at the location in question.
I fail to see how busting the oil chamber so that it releases all of its content at once would help the situation.

I think they should drill another hole and start to pump out the oil from the chamber so that the pressure drops ASAP. Then they could try another "top kill" with greater chances of success since the pressure would be lower. Just an idea.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie