Something Random

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Who says? Audio Technica? Sounds like bull to me.

Based on owner reviews and now my own experience. Out of the box these have very little low bass, that develops with use. Trust me this is not some Bose marketing bullshit.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sennheiser is a name I often hear regarding headphones. Did you ever own one of their models and is the Audio Technica much better?

Either Handruin or Ddrueding bought heaphones he really liked about a year ago too, but I don't remember the brand and model.

ddrueding

Fixture
The Grados are nice. I really don't like headphones, so much so that I have put some time into soundproofing my office so I can turn my music up during the day, but these probably make the clearest sound of any stereo I own.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Sennheiser is a name I often hear regarding headphones. Did you ever own one of their models and is the Audio Technica much better?

Either Handruin or Ddrueding bought heaphones he really liked about a year ago too, but I don't remember the brand and model.

I haven't heard the Senns but it seems headfi forums concur that the AD700 outperforms the 5x5 series for anything but vocals.

Keep in mind they are open and leak sound in and out. But very comfortable, like you don't have anything on. Definitely not for portable use, and the cups are a shade of purple. But if Teletubbies hasn't tainted the color for you like it has for my kids its not a problem.

Amazon have them for the $80 mark.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD580 used 10 years ago and I still use them everyday. They do leak sound because of the open design, but I still think they sound good.

ddrueding

Fixture
Adobe requiring a download assistant plug-in to then be able to download Flash is really lame. There used to be a way around it, so I could just get an executable, but I can't find it now.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
On another board, I think someone is stealing my posts and reusing them elsewhere. Now somebody has a similar user name and people think it is me. :mad:

LunarMist

It's not LM if that is what you mean. This is one is unique to SF. A few years ago I tried to separate user names per forum. Of course a few people I've bought from have the info, and businesses and government know all.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
There was an old headphones thread.

lol, if U can get peeps to click on links and actually comprehend/read (this forum or any other)...my hats off to U LM :bstd:

The Grados are nice. I really don't like headphones, so much so that I have put some time into soundproofing my office so I can turn my music up during the day, but these probably make the clearest sound of any stereo I own.

Grado suck as much as Winblows OS, they both need reprogramming to understand GUI/*human* interface. <insert 'Get a Mac' for tw :p > many I tried those Grado's actually tried all but the wood earcup $$$$ model at a audio high-end store, and all of them just blow as far as comfort, sound isn't all that great when U compare with others side-by-side. Don't believe the legions of hype try them all and then decide...this is what I've done.

I still prefer Stax, but I don't have $$$$$...haven't hear Senn's latest mega $ HD800, but I would *never* pay that much, same with Stax.

I haven't heard the Senns but it seems headfi forums concur that the AD700 outperforms the 5x5 series for anything but vocals.

Keep in mind they are open and leak sound in and out. But very comfortable, like you don't have anything on. Definitely not for portable use, and the cups are a shade of purple. But if Teletubbies hasn't tainted the color for you like it has for my kids its not a problem.

Amazon have them for the $80 mark.

I'll say it again, the Senn HD457's are an *outstanding* deal for the money...a *lot* less than $80, superlight weight, and sit on the ear, for better comfort (almost for me, my ear lobes are freakin 'hot blooded' ...need some hottie Asian wench to suck on them to cool off, lol) than any of the cans that fit over the ear.

HD457's work w/out a headphone amp but you'll get noticeable better sound from a amp, similarly with just about *any* headphone/IME (aka in ear monitor)...they are apparently discountinued, but I dare U to find *anything* in that price range that even comes close. Buy one as a spare/backup, you will not be disappointed.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD580 used 10 years ago and I still use them everyday. They do leak sound because of the open design, but I still think they sound good.

Very similar to the HD600's I bought in '99, which I gave to my mother when she got lung cancer in '01 (didn't tell her how much they cost...she would have had a cow, she only noticed they allowed her to get much better definition, sound quality while watcing TV, even w/o a headphone amp)...recently replace the ear pads, ordered from Seen USA, cost a bunch but the foam flattens out after 5+yrs. I recommend U get some new ear pads if you haven't already.

I tried the 'low-end' Stax amped model @high-end audio store, they were the least $$$ electrostatic model @$800 in the '90's, I'd still take them over the Senn HD600's *if* I had the coin, these were larger rectangular electrostatic panels that like the HD457's fit on the ear, not an ear cup that fits over the ear...wicked deep/tight and full bass, wildly wide soundstage when listening to Dire Straits digitally recorded CD 'Brothers in Arms'...goosebumps, da shit!!!

If only I could afford the Senn Orpheus tube amped electrostatics @$10k used :).

HD600's are in an all together different stratosphere from the HD457's , but I can wear the 457's for longer.

To be honest, the HD600's give really excellent sound, but then @$300+ they should! But my ear lobs always get too hot after wearing them for more than 30min :(. Forget about IME's I don't like them, the feel is not for me, not matter how much of an custom fit molded set, they still cause too much 'hot' stuffy, congested ears syndrome for me :( For travel/sports/active/vacation I would probably go for IME's just bcuz they'd likely be dislodgeded less, less combersome.

HD580/600 sound much better with a capable headphone amp that can supply enough current to drive the 300ohm models, in all but the loudest environments. Trust me, get a HP amp...you'll not regret it. Search headfi forums to get an idea of price range you want...keeping in mind, those headfi guys are nuts, hyper-sensitive to minute increments of performance.

One of the least expensive amps that will kind of supply enough power to HD600's (for the price point, better sound is possible, but you'll have to spend 2x)...as well as just about any other cans you could plug them into.

FiiO E1 + E7 (speculation-no-more) *now guest-starring: E9

Next headfi 2010 annual meeting/event is in Chi town, I recommend anyone nearby go to it! ...course, unlike the LA event last year, there are no trendy restaurant/bars where you'll find "gangs of Asian hotties" (damn, I've been by that restaurant and never noticed) like you might find here in LA :D

CanJam 2010 (2010 International Head-Fi Meet) In Chicago, Illinois, June 5-6, 2010!

fb

Storage is cool
I'm not really a headphone guy. But if I was I would take a look at the AKG K420, they are supposed to sound great even if they are pretty inexpensive. I don't have a personal experience but many Linn owners recommend them and they tend to be pretty picky about music reproduction.

Who says? Audio Technica? Sounds like bull to me.
And it's not uncommon that high quality audio products needs a few hundred hours of burn in to reach their maximum potential, 40-50 hours is probably quite normal.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a pair of somewhat expensive Sennheisers (I don't remember the model, 550something, I think) for the infrequent times I need headphones at home. I also have a pair of in-ear noise canceling cheapies (CX400s) that I generally only wear when I know I'm going to be spending a lot of time around running servers.

I have no complaints about either as far as being headphones, but I hate having anything in or over my ears. I've never found a headphone design I actually like.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I also have a pair of Sennheiser CX300 ear bud headphones that I use at work. They aren't noise canceling, but because they block the ear so effectively, I can't hear anything other the music I am listening to when they are in.

LunarMist

I have no complaints about either as far as being headphones, but I hate having anything in or over my ears. I've never found a headphone design I actually like.

It would keep the mayonnaise or whatever out of your ears. ;)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
And it's not uncommon that high quality audio products needs a few hundred hours of burn in to reach their maximum potential, 40-50 hours is probably quite normal.

I really respect fb and Pradeep, and this is not going to win friends or influence people, but ...

What a load of complete and utter bollocks.

For most people, "a few hundred hours" of use corresponds to years of ownership; note the other posters who've stated they don't really like headphones. Conveniently, very far outside the time period in which you might be tempted to return them.

Look, hearing is a ridiculously subjective sense. Without an A-B test, a 3dB difference is pretty damn hard to discern over an extended period of time, let alone for just a small part of the frequency spectrum. Yet that requires double the acoustic power, or in headphone driver terms, double the diaphragm travel.

And bass frequency output in headphones is dependent on so many environmental factors, such as how many millimeters behind your temple they're positioned, or even the humidity affecting the seal against your ear.

At this point, I repeatedly tore apart the claim by examining how audio transducers work and ridiculing the feeble handful of online claims that support it. But it all sounded too aggressive and too personal, so I'm going to swallow my bile and crawl away.

Please enjoy your headphones. Don't mind me. Nothing to see, move along now.

Handruin

Administrator

Like David mentioned it was the Grado Labs SR60 (however, linked are the SR60i which I haven't tried, but seem to be the newer model). I like how they sound, but I did not do much comparison between other brands.

fb

Storage is cool
What a load of complete and utter bollocks.

For most people, "a few hundred hours" of use corresponds to years of ownership; note the other posters who've stated they don't really like headphones. Conveniently, very far outside the time period in which you might be tempted to return them.
OK, a few hundred hours is might be an exaggeration, but speakers are hopefully precision made and needs to wear in a bit before they reach their potential. It's just like a new pair of shoes, or a newly renovated car engine for that matter.

Look, hearing is a ridiculously subjective sense. Without an A-B test, a 3dB difference is pretty damn hard to discern over an extended period of time, let alone for just a small part of the frequency spectrum. Yet that requires double the acoustic power, or in headphone driver terms, double the diaphragm travel
Well, maybe you and me can't hear a 3dB difference in an A-B test on a $100.000 HiFi system. But we can probably sense what mood a close relative has after talking ~1 second over the phone. Music/hearing isn't all about a flat frequency response, it's about a lot of things that we can't measure.

Mercutio

I hafta go spend Sunday through Thursday every week for a month in Louisville, Kentucky.
Ugh.

Need games that will run on my Thinkpad 'cause near as I can tell there's not a damned thing in Louisville I want to actually do.

Handruin

Administrator
What are you going to do for such a long time? That seems like an annoying trip with only two days off per week.

Mercutio

I'm teaching classes in New Albany, Indiana, right across the river from Louisville. The classes are only four hours long, so I have metric buttloads of free time, but from what I can see there's not much of anything going on down there that I'd be interested in doing.

Guess I'll just take a bunch of books.

ddrueding

Fixture
My wife is teaching these days, and some of the other teachers are driving 2 hours each way twice a week to teach a 4 hour class. I hope the money is good.

Sol

Storage is cool
GOG have games that'll tend to run on pretty much anything... Or you could develop a sudden interest in photography... There'd probably be something picturesque nearby, or at least quaint...

Mercutio

GOG have games that'll tend to run on pretty much anything... Or you could develop a sudden interest in photography... There'd probably be something picturesque nearby, or at least quaint...

I had some bad experiences with taking photos so I kind of gave up on that.
I'm not interested in the outdoors at all really, or in bourbon, horses or guns, and that's pretty much all Louisville seems to have to offer.

Even worse, I'll be away from other work I could be doing.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Too bad, I was thinking just the other day it might be a nice thing to do some bourbon plant tours down there.

fb

Storage is cool
I hafta go spend Sunday through Thursday every week for a month in Louisville, Kentucky.
Ugh.

Need games that will run on my Thinkpad 'cause near as I can tell there's not a damned thing in Louisville I want to actually do.
Interesting that a town roughly the size of our capital can't offer something interesting... :| On the other hand, I don't know if Stockholm has anything to offer me either. :)

Mercutio

You have hot Swedish chicks to whom I would be a exotic foreigner. :)

Hm. Actually my friend is very interested in Scandinavian fabric arts. We kind of tossed around the idea of taking a trip to the land of reindeer and Ikeas at some point in the future while she was visiting the weekend before last.

LunarMist

I'm not interested in the outdoors at all really, or in bourbon, horses or guns, and that's pretty much all Louisville seems to have to offer.

I was only there for a few nights a year and did not go out, but the greater Louisville area has some interesting things to offer visitors. I'm sure there are some nice women too, if you'd only go out. :)

LunarMist

I had some bad experiences with taking photos so I kind of gave up on that.

That is OK. It can take decades to fully develop skills. If you are happy with most photos in the first year or two, you may never progress to a higher level.