Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
I just rented it on Redbox on Bluray tonight. I got about an hour left on the handbrake job.
I haven't seen it yet. I wanted a 3D release, but it doesn't look like there will be one. $18 after tax and shipping is more than I normally pay for Blu-ray movies, but I want to see it and am splurging.

Handruin

Administrator
That does seem like a good deal. I wonder why they offer it cheaper through eBay than through their local stores?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Not that I really expect much of the WebEx clowns, but really... They don't support MS's new Edge browser? They detect it as Chrome... I mean I totally get that it only came out last year, and they couldn't have possibly tested with the betas, but c'mon... :skepo:

I've had problems getting it to work with IE10 and IE11 also. If you change the user agent it works.

I have a join.me subscription, so I usually use that.

https://appear.in/ This is free and doesn't require any software to share or view a screenshare. I don't think it can do fullscreen though.

Stereodude

Not really a
That does seem like a good deal. I wonder why they offer it cheaper through eBay than through their local stores?
It's generally suspected that eBay kicks in some of the discount of their Deal of the Day offers. So eBay is most likely subsidizing the price. Hence why it's lower. AFAIK, Costco has the lowest in store price at $19.49.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It pains me to do it, but I need to get rid of some books. I have more books than I have shelves for books. I suppose at the same time, I should make a similar effort to find homes for most of my comic book collection.

Mercutio

Ustream is an early live video streaming/recording service. My guess is that someone tried live streaming off a mobile data device and the slideshow is the result of not having the upstream bandwidth. The buzz is probably the ground loop from a poorly configured mic.

dd, with regard to comics, collections are mostly sold by the pound. You have to have a collection of predominantly 40 year old+ comics before there's any meaningful recognition of value. I have digital copies of the comics I like and I'm in the process of tracking down hardcover collections of the things I have a real attachment to (harder than it sounds; Marvel comics almost never reprints any of its collections).

Likewise, almost every fiction title I own is something I also have in digital form. I still want to keep some of them for sentimental reasons, but realistically it's probably not worth trying to sell them. Better to just donate them and hope they find a new home with a happy reader.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, one of the athletes in the video has another year of college eligibility left and is being approached by several top-tier colleges. We're trying to put together a promotional video for her. Unfortunately, it seems the only video shot of her playing is this one. Just confirming the problem is with the source and not my end. Bummer.

ddrueding

Fixture
Ustream is an early live video streaming/recording service. My guess is that someone tried live streaming off a mobile data device and the slideshow is the result of not having the upstream bandwidth. The buzz is probably the ground loop from a poorly configured mic.

dd, with regard to comics, collections are mostly sold by the pound. You have to have a collection of predominantly 40 year old+ comics before there's any meaningful recognition of value. I have digital copies of the comics I like and I'm in the process of tracking down hardcover collections of the things I have a real attachment to (harder than it sounds; Marvel comics almost never reprints any of its collections).

Likewise, almost every fiction title I own is something I also have in digital form. I still want to keep some of them for sentimental reasons, but realistically it's probably not worth trying to sell them. Better to just donate them and hope they find a new home with a happy reader.

I know she is putting together a list of specifically female focused comics and is offering money for each one (don't remember how much, $0.50?) to build inventory. In any case, if you are looking to offload a stack, I can put you in touch.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The house we bought has a bunch of cat5e runs that I want to make use of. However, they all were used for phone connections and none of them are labeled. I spent several hours on Saturday with a tone generator figuring out where they go. I think I can have an Ethernet jack in every room that I care about. This makes me pretty happy because trying to run Ethernet through concrete floors didn't sound fun at all. The living room was the toughest because the phone jack wasn't connected. But, we pulled the wall plate off and found a cut wire about a foot into the wall. My wife was able to snag it with a coat hanger and fish it out. My hand wouldn't fit through the hole.

I ordered a bunch of couplers, keystones, wall plates, and a punch down tool from monoprice. I'll be installing them later this week.

I bought this crappy Wifi Adapter for my HTPC for temporary use, but it only does about 20Mbps even though the AP is about 10 feet away (through concrete). A MacBook Pro from the same location is good for 65Mbps.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Been toying around with Windows again. I find it hilarious that Windows 10 takes Windows 7 drivers for an Intel GMA950 just fine but does everything short of completely refusing Windows 8.1 drivers for a Radeon HD4650.

One odd thing about the GMA950 on 10 is that it immediately tries to rollback ("update") to the basic video driver, but if you turn off Windows Update-delivered driver updates (something I usually do anyway, if I want special drivers for something I'll install them myself darn it) it keeps the Intel driver and works completely fine. No "display driver has stopped responding" malarchy that you get with older NT6.x nVidia drivers. A trade-off is that OpenGL, while it technically works is a total slideshow. OpenArena, a game which should play just fine even on something as bad as a GMA950, is a total slideshow even in the menu. Direct3D works as you'd expect it to, if a bit slow because it's a GMA. Universal Windows Apps work fine. The UI is accelerated as it should be, with a slight stutter because (again) it's a slow GMA.

For a mid-2000s IGP, it's not a terrible hunk of crap. I could easily find worse (VIA's S3 UniChrome is completely god-awful but still manages to have Vista-era WDDM drivers that work in 7+). But at the same time I'm kind of left wishing for more. YouTube's flash player oddly runs like a slideshow while HTML5 video is actually watchable. What a weird twist. Usually for everything I own it's the exact opposite.

My friend gave me an old rubber dome Model M that he'd been hanging onto. I cleaned it and (after letting it dry for days while I thought that I had broken it) it works fine. Copyright date on the outside is 1994, production date on the inside is 2/3/95. Even as a rubber dome it's got pretty good tactile response. He thought he'd broken it when he unplugged it from a running machine (from what I understand it was an accident).

Mercutio

Anyone here use HammerDB for anything?
There are apparently straightforward instructions for using it on its web site, but if I follow them in the order directed, they either don't work because the DB creation script barfs or because the load testing script fails because the database needed for testing already exists. Which is bad somehow.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I'm frankly surprised at the sheer usability of HTML5 video on this thing. It stutters a bit trying to do 1080p but that's to be expected from a laptop from ~2007. The screen's only 1280x800 anyway, and 720p plays perfectly fine provided you allow it to buffer. Obviously that says nothing of local video, of which 1080p content plays perfectly fine. Not bad for a machine with literally nothing but mpeg2 as far as hardware video playback codecs. I'm sure if I were to install Silverlight, Netflix would work fine in Vivaldi, but there's apparently *just* enough differences between Vivaldi and Chrome (lack of any secure codecs, I'm assuming?) that Netflix refuses to run on it.

EDIT: Perhaps not. Silverlight's been deprecated and will no longer work in Chromium-based browsers because it uses NPAPI flash to do its dirty work. It won't even work in Edge.

Mercutio

Been toying around with Windows again. I find it hilarious that Windows 10 takes Windows 7 drivers for an Intel GMA950 just fine but does everything short of completely refusing Windows 8.1 drivers for a Radeon HD4650.

I don't think it's the actual driver that's a problem for the Radeon. I think it's the attending Catalyst software.
And it can be worse. Something I'm pretty used to doing because I frequently use Windows Server systems as desktops is having to manually edit the .INF files so I can use the full features of Intel graphics drivers. Turns out, Intel doesn't include Windows Server in its compatibility for any of its desktop or mobile graphics hardware.

And yeah, a 4650 is still somewhat respectable as far as desktop graphics go. It's not gaming hardware, but it's close enough that you can probably manage some 720p stuff.

Mercutio

NSFW

I wasted several hours here.

It probably shouldn't surprise you that own both of the printed collections. I've met the writer and artist. You get extra naughty doodles if you get an autographed book.
Webcomics and podcasts are basically the things I support financially since I stopped buying movies on disc and comic books.

Handruin

Administrator
We got a pair of Mellanox ConnectX®-3 VPI (MCX354A-FCBS) dual port 56Gb Infiniband cards (pdf warning) in for me to run some tests on. I'm trying to figure out how to build Linbit's DRBD 9.0.1 with RDMA support under CentOS 6.7 to see if it's possible to get near NVMe replication performance between two Intel P3700 800GB drives across the two QSFP+ peer to peer connection in two different servers. Specifically to address latency issues that two 10Gb ethernet adapters can't handle due to the TCP stack. My hope is (based on reading Linbit's performance testing with RDMA) is that the backend storage was their limiting factor.

I don't know if this kind of stuff interests anyone here for their day to day work. From my experiences so far with DRBD it's a pretty neat piece of software for replicating block devices between systems. I can write up the steps to get this working in another thread if it interests anyone?

Last edited:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We got a pair of Mellanox ConnectX®-3 VPI (MCX354A-FCBS) dual port 56Gb Infiniband cards (pdf warning) in for me to run some tests on.
I'm officially jealous. I can't even convince the management to buy a development setup (servers + some networking gears). Even moddification we make on the production environment is without a net. We happen to have a rookie on a remote location with domain admin powers. Yes, he screwed up a few times and I was the one who ended up cleaning the mess.

I'm trying to figure out how to build Linbit's DRBD 9.0.1 with RDMA support under CentOS 6.7 to see if it's possible to get near NVMe replication performance between two Intel P3700 800GB drives across the two QSFP+ peer to peer connection in two different servers. Specifically to address latency issues that two 10Gb ethernet adapters can't handle due to the TCP stack. My hope is (based on reading Linbit's performance testing with RDMA) is that the backend storage was their limiting factor.

I don't know if this kind of stuff interests anyone here for their day to day work. From my experiences so far with DRBD it's a pretty neat piece of software for replicating block devices between systems. I can write up the steps to get this working in another thread if it interests anyone?
I would be interested to know more about this, but I'm currently in a mainly Windows Server with Hyper-V environment. As written above, I don't have the gears to try something different and since I'm the only senior admin for 10 companies and approximately 300 users, I don't really have the time to try new stuff. When I'll work elsewhere, then learning more about this would be great.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't know if this kind of stuff interests anyone here for their day to day work.
This is a Storage Forum! I'll not come within yards of something like the stuff you're working on in this lifetime, but nevertheless find it interesting. Keep 'em coming!

LunarMist

This is a Storage Forum! I'll not come within yards of something like the stuff you're working on in this lifetime, but nevertheless find it interesting. Keep 'em coming!

OMG, how dare we speak of storage. ;)

Mercutio

Apparently the Amazon has advised me to buy nursing pads. :errr:

I bought a "massager" for a friend a few years ago. Years. I *still* get recommendations for them almost every time I hit the site. And that's why I have a blank user profile for any time I need to put my PC on a projector now.

LunarMist

I bought a "massager" for a friend a few years ago. Years. I *still* get recommendations for them almost every time I hit the site. And that's why I have a blank user profile for any time I need to put my PC on a projector now.

What does the profile do?