Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
Not disagreeing, I just don't want to be the legal case that decides it. When the police roll up I'll be able to cite the guidelines and show a fancy registration card that says everything is ok.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My new tv pc doesn't want to talk to my receiver and that's pissing me off.

Anyway, this is a film, not game footage. The guys who made it did a making of post on Imgur.

[video=youtube_share;45O-GAi0gNw]https://youtu.be/45O-GAi0gNw[/video]

Someone fix the embed if it's not right. I'm doing this on my phone.

Handruin

Administrator
My new tv pc doesn't want to talk to my receiver and that's pissing me off.

Anyway, this is a film, not game footage. The guys who made it did a making of post on Imgur.

[video=youtube_share;45O-GAi0gNw]https://youtu.be/45O-GAi0gNw[/video]

Someone fix the embed if it's not right. I'm doing this on my phone.

This is very well done, I enjoyed it.

Mercutio

The headmounted cam gives everything a "video game" feel. I was entirely willing to believe I was watching a game rather than filmed entertainment. The guys who make that channel have a bunch of other first-person content. It's really cool stuff and I'm glad I took the time to watch it on a real screen so that I could get the full effect.

Stereodude

Not really a
I thought the fried Apple pies sold in Japan and Taiwan were ruthlessly delicious, but this fried creation is just pure evil. :diablo:

20160118_202906_sm.jpg

Mercutio

McD's pies usually are pretty tasty. Especially when you can get two of them for $1. I like the strawberry ones they have in the summer.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well, they were before they started baking them.

Whenever these "fast food" places try to make their food "healthier" they fail. So it's still bad for you but now it tastes even worse.

Take Kentucky Fried Chicken. They changed their name to KFC because "Fried" is the devil. Now they are changing back. In today's connected world people have the facts and know that type of food is bad. At least make it taste decent.

/endrant

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yes we're getting a blizzard here near philadelphia and just about every weekend event has been cancelled.
Even the boy scouts cancelled the Klondike Derby.

I guess it's better to be stuck in PR with cancelled flights then.

Stereodude

Not really a
Today, I saw a variety of 2TB and other highly questionable sized USB flash drives (mostly Kingston) and other unlikely sized Sandisk microSD and SD cards at the fake market today. :skepo: I almost bought one just to test, but I wasn't sure I could get it down into the price range of throwaway money. :scratch:

Instead, I just bought a few decent sized souvenir type fridge magnets. I rather hate having to negotiate for everything. They started out asking 78 Yuan (~$12) for the two, which at any US souvenir shop in a typical tourist attraction would be a decent price considering their size. However, after some negotiating I ended up only paying 20 Yuan (~$3) for the pair. I probably could have done a bit better but I guess my heart wasn't into squeezing every last Yuan from the guy.

I also saw some snowflakes falling here last night, which I'm told very rarely happens here. Something like once every few years. To add insult to injury the high temperature tomorrow is -4C, which is well below average even for their coldest month. I have my winter coat w/ hat and gloves with me, but it was more happenstance than deliberate planning. It's just the appropriate clothing for MI weather and what I wore to the airport.

Mercutio

Ninite Pro supports Flash. This is the easiest way to get it on Server 2016.

choco install -y flashplayerplugin
choco install -y flashplayeractivex

My fun new project is setting up four a four way SQL Server cluster. I've never needed to do that before but I have to get it done sooner rather than later.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My fun new project is setting up four a four way SQL Server cluster. I've never needed to do that before but I have to get it done sooner rather than later.
This would be licencing Hell.

Why do you want to try this? BD sync and replication?

We have two separated SQL servers at the office and they are inside VM on a cluster. The cluster is replicated to another remote cluster. I fell we are quite safe. I'm not a DB guy though, so maybe I'm missing something.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I also saw some snowflakes falling here last night, which I'm told very rarely happens here. Something like once every few years. To add insult to injury the high temperature tomorrow is -4C, which is well below average even for their coldest month. I have my winter coat w/ hat and gloves with me, but it was more happenstance than deliberate planning. It's just the appropriate clothing for MI weather and what I wore to the airport.
Does it clean the air a bit? Everyone I know that went to China in the past ten years told me that just breathing the air is a health hazard. Someone told me his lungs were burning on the first morning he woke up there and that his eyes were reddish from all the pollution in the air.

It doesn't seem to be your case as you haven't complained about it so far. You must be in the Himalaya or some very remote place.

Mercutio

It's licensing hell no matter what we do. The mandate is to get two machines in two different datacenters with full failover so that the whole stupid thing can operate on one out of four nodes. All of this is coming from one person overpromising on availability to someone who is really, really into the idea of availability. The current system runs on two VMs (web and DB) inside a single ESXi host with a cold spare backup machine available on about 90 minutes' notice. We have a customer now that wants 99.9something% uptime (basically a target of 30 minutes downtime in a month) and they're offering enough money up to make it appealing enough to try for it. Given the choice, I think we should leave things as is since I'm the only human being who knows what's going on with all the systems and I have to do things like sleep and drive and otherwise not spend my every waking moment looking at performance counters for one system. The dev-types don't want to give up the software so the customer can run their own implementation so all of a sudden we're talking about clustering and multisite hosting.

Stereodude

Not really a
Does it clean the air a bit? Everyone I know that went to China in the past ten years told me that just breathing the air is a health hazard. Someone told me his lungs were burning on the first morning he woke up there and that his eyes were reddish from all the pollution in the air.

It doesn't seem to be your case as you haven't complained about it so far. You must be in the Himalaya or some very remote place.
The air was noticeably clearer today. I don't know if the snow and rain really cleared it out or if it was just random chance. The pollution isn't that bad in my subjective opinion. I'm in Shanghai. Definitely not a remote place. Beijing is much worse. Basically the air is better in the south and worse in the north. Most of the pollution in the winter is supposed from burning coal for heat.

And yes, I just got back to my hotel at 3:30am or so.

ddrueding

Fixture
Any coders around here with some free time and experience with page scraping? Just an inquiry for a buddy. He wants to be alerted when a campsite that fits his parameters comes available in Yosemite Valley. ( on recreation.gov)

No idea his budget or specifics.

Handruin

Administrator
Any coders around here with some free time and experience with page scraping? Just an inquiry for a buddy. He wants to be alerted when a campsite that fits his parameters comes available in Yosemite Valley. ( on recreation.gov)

No idea his budget or specifics.

I don't know if I'm the right one to help but whoever you may find won't have to scrape the site. Seems your friend is in serious luck. The recreation.gov website has a very well-done REST API for querying their public data known as their Recreation Information Database (RIDB). You really can't ask for an easier way to scrape a website in an language-agnostic way than this and it looks to be well-documented at a quick glance (further investigation required to know how complex it would be to use).
https://usda.github.io/RIDB/#introduction

I not meaning to trivialize or minimize the required work but it should be substantially easier than scraping the site for the desired information. They built this API for companies to do more than what your friend wants/needs. If you could get a list of requirements than it would be easier to spec and understand what to build for him. If it's as simple as you've described, it may be possible to combine a little bit of scripting with the IFTTT website to do periodic polls for the data and then email or message when found. Let me know, I have a couple days off from work using up holiday before the end of the month. I may be able to hack something together and put it on github.