Something Random

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I think the point he was pushing on the fire is being $200 doesn't make it good. The software/OS sounds like it needs a bit of work to get up to good. Someone else described it as meeting all of amazons business goals of getting tablets in front of users but rarely makes a decent user experience.

Does yours have stuttering for page turns? They railed on that as an example, remove the animation or make it simpler etc.

Still think this tablet has the best chance to usurp the iPad of any of the tablets out there. Hopefully it sells well enough to get software updates to fix and improve things. Maybe next year a version with much improved hardware too.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a Fire here but it's still in the box.
And look, the Fire is primarily designed to be an e-Reader. I think that's the part they want to get right. That's very different from something like an Asus Transformer or Motorola Xoom, that has to be awesome at everything to justify the cost of the hardware. Even last year's $500 tablets haven't fallen to $200 yet, so I'm sure there have been compromises in that department. At the same time, what the HP tablet fire sale proved is that the market really, really wants a solid, cheap tablet machine and that tablet needs to be $150 or less. Absent another business unit collapse, compromise is the only way we're going to get there right now.

Handruin

Administrator
I think the point he was pushing on the fire is being $200 doesn't make it good. The software/OS sounds like it needs a bit of work to get up to good. Someone else described it as meeting all of amazons business goals of getting tablets in front of users but rarely makes a decent user experience.

Does yours have stuttering for page turns? They railed on that as an example, remove the animation or make it simpler etc.

Still think this tablet has the best chance to usurp the iPad of any of the tablets out there. Hopefully it sells well enough to get software updates to fix and improve things. Maybe next year a version with much improved hardware too.

The software definitely needs some work and my hope and faith in Amazon is that they will make progress here and release updates. I often times have the back button not respond on the first, second, and sometimes third press. The main menu is often times too sensative to the touch when scrolling through the most recently used items. The audio playback quality through the headphone jack is sub-par in my experieince. The screen is over-sensative to the touch. There are times when I swear my finger hasn't touched the glass and it's recognizing my movement. This becomes frustrating when reading magazines. There is occasional stutter when changing magazine pages, but I haven't noticed anything of mention with a book. Standard magazine views can be a pain to manage. The screen ppi isn't high enough to have the entire page readable when zoomed out so this means you'll need to pinch and zoom in order to read the content. There is an annoying problem with this in that if you get too close to the edge of the page, the Fire will switch pages even if you only meant to move your current page view just to scroll and see content.

Wired is the only magazine I've downloaded (and a whopping 260MB+) that is formatted to fit the Kindle. It has interactive content, video, and animation. I did notice on one specific page that the animation locked up the magazine and I had to exit and relaunch in order to continue reading.

I've submitted all this feedback within the built-in feedback feature and hope that it will add to other people complaining about the same things which will eventually result in software updates.

Given that this is my first tablet, I don't have a lot to compare it to. I do find it to be useful and given the cost of the other devices out there, it fits my needs pretty well despite the problems it has. I expected the first release would have some issue like any new device. The question remains is if Amazon will improve it in a reasonable amount of time. The audio output quality is about the only one they may not be able to address with software updates. I find myself listening to music on my iPhone while using the Fire where as I'd rather just use one device. I would say this device would be a better bragain at $150-$175 for what it offers, but that will likely not happen until the next version hits the shelves.

Mercutio

I'm genuinely, legitimately drowning in gadgets right now. I'd like to spend more time looking at what's different between the Galaxy 7", 8.9, Xoom, Nook Color, Fire and ipad2, but to date everything I've done with any of them is just about getting the devices set up with the standard configuration and things I'd use anyway. And I haven't touched the Fire or ipad2 at all.

Handruin

Administrator
Sounds like you need an assistant. Did you purchase all these devices or are they from your work?

Mercutio

This is all work crap. People ask us about this stuff all the time and we're planning to hold classes in all of it, but it's one of those deals where no one else actually wants to take the time to learn anything. I think I have to figure out all the weird things about the various devices and then train everyone else so they can act like they know what they're talking about.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
:colors: :cheers: :bravo: :salut: :bow: :king:

Here's to Merc reaching 15K! :beer:

Handruin

Administrator
Congrats mercutio on the 15K mark. Thanks for spending the time here and contributing.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I am impressed by Merc reaching 15K. Congrats! I know that I don't have nearly that much to say.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It looks like an old-fashioned distribution center. If it is like UPS, they hire a lot of young people on a temporary basis. At the worldport in TN, many of them are college students. What is the relevance of sports?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Putting the beat down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB3n9Juh_f4

Those two chicks must have had some impaired thinking, first slapping the cashier and then going around the counter. You don't do that to a man that just came out of 10 years in the big house.

Grand jury declined to indict him on felony assault charges (idiot DA), yay for self defense and the common sense of the average citizen. Charges of menacing, criminal trespassing and disorderly conduct still remain against the two women (when they get out of the hospital perhaps).

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/03/justice/new-york--mcdonalds-beating/index.html

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm happy with the way it turned out. Being small and weak is no excuse for acting like a piece of shit. And if you lack the common sense not to attack someone bigger than you, don't blame the big guy for smashing your head. I hope the one who had her skull cracked gets permanent sequels. They are lucky that guy wasn't me. It would have been quicker, hurt a lot more and I wouldn't have run to get a metal rod to get the job done.

Every day that passes, I hope someone attacks me so I can unleash myself on him, but it never happens.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I'm happy with the way it turned out. Being small and weak is no excuse for acting like a piece of shit. And if you lack the common sense not to attack someone bigger than you, don't blame the big guy for smashing your head. I hope the one who had her skull cracked gets permanent sequels. They are lucky that guy wasn't me. It would have been quicker, hurt a lot more and I wouldn't have run to get a metal rod to get the job done.

Every day that passes, I hope someone attacks me so I can unleash myself on him, but it never happens.

I can just see it in my mind...""I'm going to cut you, I'm going to f--- you up," the lawyer said Denise Darbeau screamed as she and pal Rachel Edwards came at McIntosh in the W. Third St. franchise.

*Coug snaps*

*Things get very bloody*

Stereodude

Not really a
A few pictures of my car in better light.

img00024small.jpg

img00029small.jpg

img00028small.jpg

:(