Something Random

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
How does that crap happen? Don't they test the engines with it?

More often than you would think (especially if you consider cars as well**). Basically the engineers work out how much stress on the gears there are during the complete rev range for each gear, determine the materials required and then reduce the amount of materials (in order to reduce cost) but still maintain a slight % factor for safety/reliability. As manufacturing techniques and materials improve over the years engineers (pushed by their managers) have been reducing that fudge factor in order to reduce costs... At some point, reliability to reduced below what is considered acceptable/safe (as it'll cost you more in repairs than saved during manufacturing).

Those same principles apply with basically any manufactured product you buy these days, and hence why most brown and white goods don't last as long as they used to. (Most sales people will admit, most white goods only have a 5yr life now).

Kudas to Yamaha for being straight up about the problem and offering rebuilds on all effected bikes (before someone is injured or killed). (A bottom end rebuild on the gearbox would average 2-3 days work for 2 mechanics, plus all the parts and another day for testing - this is not cheap work).

** Off the top of my head.
Some Audi TT auto gearboxes had a similar issue if the driver used the manual overrides.
2011-12 Honda Accord auto gearboxes had a higher than expected failure rate due to bad gears.
Early Suzuki J24B engines (used in the Grand Vitara and some of their sedans) had a weaker than expected outer wall, leading to cracks in the block around the 4th cylinder.
Some Mitsubishi Magna (late '90's) engines (both block and head) would warp after 100K km's.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm on an 8 mbps internet connection. A few days ago I was at my sister's in another city and the internet there was fast as hell (it felt like). I was told it was a 10 mbps connection. Curious, I did speed tests. It actually was a bit less than 10 mbps, but the latency was 6 ms. Mine is ~ 42 ms. Darn, what a difference that makes! The immediate response makes it feel twice as fast.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
More often than you would think (especially if you consider cars as well**). Basically the engineers work out how much stress on the gears there are during the complete rev range for each gear, determine the materials required and then reduce the amount of materials (in order to reduce cost) but still maintain a slight % factor for safety/reliability. As manufacturing techniques and materials improve over the years engineers (pushed by their managers) have been reducing that fudge factor in order to reduce costs... At some point, reliability to reduced below what is considered acceptable/safe (as it'll cost you more in repairs than saved during manufacturing).

Those same principles apply with basically any manufactured product you buy these days, and hence why most brown and white goods don't last as long as they used to. (Most sales people will admit, most white goods only have a 5yr life now).
In other words, they engineer in planned obsolescence and/or assume price is the only thing important to people. I'd rather pay somewhat more for something I'll know will last a lifetime (or at least be easily repairable) than buy what is essentially a throw-away product. Unfortunately, it seems nowadays you often just can't get solid products. Paying more isn't even a guarantee. I've seen stuff where the price premium is solely due to have a name brand on a product. Inside it looks just like cheap generic versions.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I let my son go to sleep in our bed tonight since wife was out at her company Christmas party. Shortly after falling asleep, he sat up and said 'I fight for the users.' and laid back down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5KfzyO4feo

There is a human infant in my apartment right now. It is seven months old. Mostly it seems to fall over from a sitting position and/or try to put its toes and/or whatever parts of the nearest cat it can reach into its mouth. Quoting Tron would be a distinct improvement.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Has anyone here ever filed for a patent? I will be employing a lawyer later, but I'd like to get my prep done before their clock starts.
I did about 9 years ago with a friend of mine. He was the one who talked directly to the lawyer although since it was primarily my idea I wrote some of the preliminary paperwork. I could email you the documents if you want to get an idea of what the patent filing should look like.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Has anyone here ever filed for a patent? I will be employing a lawyer later, but I'd like to get my prep done before their clock starts.

My uncle and my father both have some. The guy my dad dealt with had a chess timer by his phone to track time because $600/hour adds up even 2 minutes at a time.

ddrueding

Fixture
My uncle and my father both have some. The guy my dad dealt with had a chess timer by his phone to track time because $600/hour adds up even 2 minutes at a time.

Exactly this. When my $200/hour accountant warned me that his patent attorney wasn't cheap I knew I was in trouble. My first goal is to get as much understanding as possible and assemble all the necessary information. From what I've head this can be non-trivial.

Stereodude

Not really a
So our company IT person didn't know or understand what PoE (Power over Ethernet) is. They sent us VOIP phones and it needs a 48V brick because we don't have PoE here. I fruitlessly tried to explain that if we had a PoE switch we could dump the 48V brick. He insisted that it would work without the brick because it worked without the brick in their local office. I sent him a the link to PoE at Wikipedia and left it alone.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Have to wonder how much this might be related to the demographic that purchases R1's (or other sport bikes). I imagine many are rode hard and put away wet - literally.

I'm sure some of the drivers screw around with the shark absorbers, etc. Isn't the transmission controlled by a computer, not that that does much for crappy components?

LunarMist

:DOH: I meant the suspensions. I don't know who or what is messing with my words. :scratch:

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I'm sure some of the drivers screw around with the shark absorbers, etc. Isn't the transmission controlled by a computer, not that that does much for crappy components?

While some motorcycles have electonically controlled DCT type transmissions, and the 2015 R1 has a significant amount of elecronic assists, in this case there is nothing other than the left foot shifter linkage connected directly to the transmission. It does have a quick shifter feature that allows clutchless upshifts and a slipper clutch for control on downshifts. Needless to say with around 180 HP going through it, it's got to put up with a lot of abuse.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Over the top computer desk here. Maybe after DD gets bored with his 800kw flashlight he can look into this?!?

LunarMist

Over the top computer desk here. Maybe after DD gets bored with his 800kw flashlight he can look into this?!?

I couldn't figure out what was going on. There were canisters of some kind of solution with fluorescein and kids playing video games?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I couldn't figure out what was going on. There were canisters of some kind of solution with fluorescein and kids playing video games?

The desk contains a fully tricked out computer. The green fluid is a water cooling system for the CPU, GPUs, etc.

Handruin

Administrator
One of my two older Samsung 1TB (HD103SJ) HDDs developed a bad block recently. I checked the SMART data and it claims I've had it powered on for 48075 hours which works out to about 5.49 years (I leave them on 24x7). The other one still seems ok so far but I wonder if it'll be on its way out soon also. Both drives are mainly read-only at this point given they're about 99% full. I just added in another 6TB to replace one of them when I noticed during a copy/transfer that a block couldn't be read on one of my pictures I was storing. I'm restoring the drive from backup now.

ddrueding

Fixture
Needs more fans. That looks undercooled.

3x 120 Intake, 2x 120 blowing directly across the boards, 1x 120 exhaust, 9x 120 radiator. Plus tons of huge aftermarket aluminum heatsinks thermal epoxied to anything that thought about going above ambient (including the M.2 SSDs, which had been shown to thermally throttle during benchmarks).

ddrueding

Fixture
If I was going that hardcore I think a car radiator might be the way to go: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ther-Car-Radiator-Thread....Major-56K-Warning

But configure it so it vented inside during winter and outside during summer.

This is a turnkey solution from Koolance that includes the rad, fans, pump, reservoir, fan controller, and pump controller. I've modified it to include a flow meter for when the pipe run is longer.

In the winter the rad just sits on top of my PC, in the summer I have pipes routed into the garage.

Still working on the project of routing the rad to the heatpump water heater. Two rads in series; first on the intake side to dump the heat into the water heater, then on the exhaust side to pre-cool the water on the way back to the computer.

Last edited:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Oh my god, that internal shot made my knees turn to jelly. So... much... power...

Been playing Undertale recently. I actually managed to buy it myself this time. It's pretty fun, but on the P4 if I'm doing anything else it lags horribly, as to be expected of a 2004 machine playing a 2015 game. Honestly I was expecting far worse. I was actually expecting it to flat out require a newer machine to play, if not because of requiring newer features I just don't have (Shader Model 3, SSE4+, etc) then certainly because it'd run at an unplayable framerate a la Shovel Knight on anything less than a Core 2 Duo.

ddrueding

Fixture
If you wanted to buy some ATX motherboard trays with I/O and PCI card support, where would you buy them? CAD model screenshot included for clarity of what I'm after. Extracting them from cases is an option, but I'd want them to look clean, so no dremel-ing.

MB Tray.png

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Thanks for the link to the Storinator site Chewy, some interesting articles about peak current draw with 45 drives there which I posted in Stereodudes NAS build thread.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, I swear I have my 3D Blu-ray buying under control. :rotfl:

pQHzoG1.jpg

Everyone makes a custom Blu-ray "case" of out a cardboard box from Amazon with a boxcutter, packing tape, and a little wood glue right?

xDjzMdn.jpg

Stereodude

Not really a
Do you actually dig through the disks when you want to play something? Or do you have them ripped to your NAS?
They are not ripped to my "NAS". First, I don't have the space for that and beyond that... Without going into a long-winded rant, the "short" version is that there's no suitable 3D playback solution for the PC. FFMPEG/Libav doesn't support MVC decoding and all the hardware decoders in the video cards for 3D don't have an open API to them, so only Arcsoft TMT (which has since been pulled from the market) and PowerDVD can play back 3D Blu-ray in Windows because they paid for access to the API in the video hardware. PowerDVD is a pile of poop. Arcsoft was decent, but won't bitstream audio with my last two video cards. Linux support is even worse. The Rpi 2 with Kodi can do 3D playback with frame packed output with 7.1 LPCM audio (no bitstreaming), but in general Kodi has problems with the UDF format used on 3D discs. There are some test builds, but they're apparently still not capable of flawless playback. There's also no menu support in Kodi. Some of the Chinese Android boxes claim 3D ISO support, but they all have quirks if they even do it. Like 24.000Hz output instead of 23.976Hz output or other issues.

So, yes I stuff the disc in a standalone 3D Blu-ray player to watch 'em. Why? Because it actually works.