Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's nothing wrong with Windows 8. It has some interface weirdness that Classic Start largely fixes but on the whole it's not any bigger deal than the random shifting between default GUIs in your random Linux distro of choice.

Handruin

Administrator
Happy Birthday P5-133XL!

:b-day::b-day:
Happy-Birthday-10.jpg

Mercutio

Happy birthday to you Mark.

Rather than a hawk on my balcony, this morning I had a raccoon on my balcony. He was just hanging out, being a raccoon, and I'm not sure how or why he got up there in the first place, but I keep a dish of cat food and some water out there, which I suspect is what was keeping him there. He was standing up at my sliding glass door and peering inside while I fed my cats, who were completely uninterested in him. I hope he figures out a way to get down safely because it's going to be 90something F outside today.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Thank you all, even those that said HB yesterday.

9/11 is a hard date to forget. I can't wait till it is just a date in the history books and all the monitoring and security precautions are long forgotten. The world is a worse place to live in because of it. I don't think the bad guys understand that or they just don't care.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I don't think the bad guys understand that or they just don't care.
Actually, from a psychology point of view, all the lock downs, security measures, loss of freedom is a benefit to the cause of the terrorist. It shows that they are significant in their cause.

The role of terrorist is to strike fear, uncertainly and doubt into the minds of their opponents, something which they have accomplished to do. Out of curiosity, how many actual attacks has the increased loss of freedoms the US government placed on it's people actually stopped since the measures where brought into place? (All the figures I can find, is less than 1, so spending $$$$$$$$, reducing the freedom of it's people was for what)?

PS. Feel free to split replies into another thread to avoid having it Something Random.

Mercutio

How I know I live in Derpistan:

I drove by a restaurant today with a sign up that said "Never Forget 9-11-12" after seeing several that said some variation of the normal sort of 9/11 memorial.
I really didn't get it until, on the way home from work, there was a brief mention on NPR that the attack on the Benghazi embassy was a year ago.

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, my non-handyman reputation took another hit this weekend. Managed to strip down the washing machine completely and repair the drain pump (had a leak). When I had all the parts strewn around the garage I was regretting getting one with every bell and whistle available. Good news is that it seems to be working perfectly now. Sweet.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well, my non-handyman reputation took another hit this weekend. Managed to strip down the washing machine completely and repair the drain pump (had a leak). When I had all the parts strewn around the garage I was regretting getting one with every bell and whistle available. Good news is that it seems to be working perfectly now. Sweet.

Didn't you buy it recently enough to still be under warranty?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've owned 5 washing machines. All but the first were front loaders and 3 were second-hand.

Hitachi - their stuff was indestructible in the old days. Sold due to growing family.
Hoover #1 - no faults, but had to replace the drum and bearings because drum bolts weren't used during an interstate move.
Hoover #2 - bought because the same thing happened a second time to #1. Had to replace a door switch on this one.
NEC - whole machine was replaced due to vibration problems, drain pump had to be replaced under warranty.
Electrolux - controller board failed under warranty.

None of them leaked. :)

My mother and mother-in-law were both incredibly conservative when it came to washing machines. None of this new-fangled automatic machinery for them, they both insisted on twin-tub washers. Consequently, my mother only ever owned two washing machines, a Hoover and a Hitachi. I remember we had to replace the drain pump on the Hoover at least once, and maybe belts. Can't remember them leaking, but it was a long time ago. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
At least this unit doesn't have any belts, I can only imagine the problems that would cause. The number of parts is remarkably low considering all it does.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Still using the same Maytag we've had since 1973. We've had to replace the belts a few times, the timer twice, and the water pump once. I guess the Maytag repairman really is lonely. ;)

Mercutio

I was just showing off Google Drive's collaborative features to a few people. As an example, I just shared a big collection of wallpapers with a few SF members. Feel free to ignore the message. If you didn't get in on the share and would like access to a nice repository of cool wallpapers, it's probably because I didn't remember your email address off the top of my head, so PM me and I'll add you.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
While I got the Email the link didn't work. I got an error 500. I suspect it probably has something to do with my google account having a different E-mail address than the Email address you sent the link to.

Mercutio

In theory, you'd need to create a Google ID that matches the email address. Or you could PM me your proper address. Either way. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
This is going to be a long-winded rant, so feel free to skip it.

I have an AutoCAD user. Up until about 4 months ago he was running AutoCAD 2008 on an XP box with a dual-core processor and 4GB of RAM. Then he started complaining about crashes. I wasn't able to replicate them, but his machine was a little old, so I replaced it with a quad-core/8GB Win8 box. Within a week he is complaining of crashes that he is actually able to show me. Fair enough, AutoCAD 2008 isn't officially supported on Win8, so we drop a ton of money on AutoCAD 2014. He still complains of crashes, and that his computer isn't fast enough. Just a note- AutoCAD 2014 is installed from a download. A 38GB+ download that needs to be extracted locally before install and takes nearly 100GB after install (requiring nearly 200GB locally free during install). Because of these size requirements I'd switched from a SSD to a 3TB drive. After his complaints I dropped in a 500GB SSD. Still complaints. I swapped his machine with an identical system used by a co-worker. Co-worker had no issues, this user still complained. In total, I've replaced his hardware 4 times and re-installed from scratch the OS and all software 3 times. All his "rejected" computers are now in use by his co-workers without complaint. I'm about to take one of my monster workstations and reconfigure it just for him (i7-4770, 32GB, Titan, 500GB SSD). If this doesn't work I may need to employ Coug, his basement, and his special services.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
This is going to be a long-winded rant, so feel free to skip it.

I have an AutoCAD user. Up until about 4 months ago he was running AutoCAD 2008 on an XP box with a dual-core processor and 4GB of RAM. Then he started complaining about crashes. I wasn't able to replicate them, but his machine was a little old, so I replaced it with a quad-core/8GB Win8 box. Within a week he is complaining of crashes that he is actually able to show me. Fair enough, AutoCAD 2008 isn't officially supported on Win8, so we drop a ton of money on AutoCAD 2014. He still complains of crashes, and that his computer isn't fast enough. Just a note- AutoCAD 2014 is installed from a download. A 38GB+ download that needs to be extracted locally before install and takes nearly 100GB after install (requiring nearly 200GB locally free during install). Because of these size requirements I'd switched from a SSD to a 3TB drive. After his complaints I dropped in a 500GB SSD. Still complaints. I swapped his machine with an identical system used by a co-worker. Co-worker had no issues, this user still complained. In total, I've replaced his hardware 4 times and re-installed from scratch the OS and all software 3 times. All his "rejected" computers are now in use by his co-workers without complaint. I'm about to take one of my monster workstations and reconfigure it just for him (i7-4770, 32GB, Titan, 500GB SSD). If this doesn't work I may need to employ Coug, his basement, and his special services.

Maybe he's working on a part file that is corrupt. Are his crashes happening with any file open or just a specific one?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If this doesn't work I may need to employ Coug, his basement, and his special services.

I have more free space to "dispose" of my problems in my new house than I did before I moved. I also plan to start a garden in my backyard next Spring and I'm in search of a good fertiliser.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think the power issues would affect his co-workers too, unless they aren't in the same office. The only possible wires which touch are between the guy's ears, IMO.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think the power issues would affect his co-workers too, unless they aren't in the same office. The only possible wires which touch are between the guy's ears, IMO.

It seems like a software problem to me. Why is the user to blame?