Code:
ftp://ddrueding.dyndns.org/Nicole Barrette - God Damn You.mp3

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
bb.gif

Credit to benryves @ b3ta

Groltz

Just finished watching an 823MB mpeg of Pink Floyd playing at the Live 8 festival in London.

To see them playing together with Roger again is fantastic. It made my day, seeing this clip.

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't really followed Pink Floyd. Is that a recent event? I didn't know they were still around. The only CD I have from them is a 24 carat gold Atom Heart Mother CD I bought years ago. It's one of those Original Master Recording series Ultra Disc II. It's a decent disc, but I'm not a huge fan of their style.

Groltz

The charity concert was yesterday.

Roger Waters left Pink Floyd in 1981 after fighting with David Gilmour over control and direction of the band. This is the first time the guys have played a show together since then.

I've seen Pink Floyd twice in concert during the post-Waters era for the Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell albums. They've always been a favorite of mine although they're on the farthest end of the mellowness spectrum in terms of what I typically listen to.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
Handruin said:
I haven't really followed Pink Floyd. Is that a recent event? I didn't know they were still around. The only CD I have from them is a 24 carat gold Atom Heart Mother CD I bought years ago. It's one of those Original Master Recording series Ultra Disc II. It's a decent disc, but I'm not a huge fan of their style.

"Atom Heart Mother" is one of the earlier Pink Floyd albums -- about number 4 or 5. It's an alright album, but it's hardly representative of the "classic" Pink Floyd. Classic Pink Floyd would be -- in order of release -- "Meddle," "Dark Side Of The Moon," "Wish You Were Here," "Animals," and "The Wall."

"Dark Side Of The Moon" has the all-time world record for staying in the Billboard Top 200 chart -- about 11 years straight, beating out Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" EP along the way. "Dark Side Of The Moon" re-entered the Billboard Top 200 chart several months later and stayed there around the bottom somewhere for a about 3 more years!

In my snotty opinion, everything went to hell in a handbasket after "The Wall." The Pink Floyd albums that came later, such as "The Final Cut" and the albums that Groltz mentioned are not up to the earlier albums' (from the 1970s) standards.

The individual members all had solo albums as well. The only one I liked a lot was David Gilmour's first album called "David Gilmour." I kinda sorta liked Nick Mason's "Fictitious Sports" and Richard Wright's "Wet Dream" albums to some degree. All of these were out of the 1970s as well. Roger Water's solo albums never did anything for me.

Anyway, here's an interview done with Roger Waters in the past week or so. He talks about the Pink Floyd reunion at Live 8 and other things.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7504168/?rnd=1123043231938&has-player=false

Below are the Pink Floyd CDs that I own:
  • Pink Floyd "A Saucerful Of Secrets" EMI BRIT
    Pink Floyd "Absolutely Ambient" New Directions GER
    Pink Floyd "Animals" EMI BRIT
    Pink Floyd "Animals Ltd. Edition Trance Mix" -??- GER
    Pink Floyd "Atom Heart Mother" Mobile Fidelity USA
    Pink Floyd "Atom Heart Mother Ltd. Edition Trance Mix" -??- GER
    Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Mobile Fidelity USA
    Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon Ltd. Edition Trance Mix" -??- GER
    Pink Floyd "Meddle" Mobile Fidelity USA
    Pink Floyd "Meddle - Ltd. Edition Trance Remix" -??- GER
    Pink Floyd "More" Capitol USA
    Pink Floyd "Obscured By Clouds" EMI BRIT
    Pink Floyd "Obscured By Clouds - Ltd. Edition Trance Mix" -??- GER
    Pink Floyd "Relics" EMI BRIT
    Pink Floyd "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" EMI BRIT
    Pink Floyd "The Wall" EMI BRIT
    Pink Floyd "Ummagumma" EMI BRIT
    Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" EMI BRIT
    Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here - Ltd. Edition Trance Mix" -??- GER

SOLO Albums:

David Gilmour "David Gilmour" (1st album) Columbia USA
    Nick Mason "Fictitious Sports" Sony Special Product USA
    Richard Wright "Wet Dream" One Way / Sony USA

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Re the Roger Waters interview: he's still an arrogant SOB, I see. :)

Actually, I fell out with Pink Floyd over The Wall. The only track I really liked was "Comfortably Numb", so I never bought the album.

I agree with you about the solo albums, although I haven't listened to Nick Mason's effort.

tazwegion

That's interesting Time 'The Wall' was actually what introduced me to the Pink Floyd phenomenon ;)

"Hey teacher!... leave them kids alone..." :boom:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
tazwegion said:
"Hey teacher!... leave them kids alone..." :boom:
Just more really stupid ravings from Roger Waters, along with "we don't need no education". His mother was a teacher, BTW.

He wrote most of the lyrics, and most of them are pretentious drivel.

tazwegion

Hmmm... different horses, for different courses ;) I actually liked "The Wall" and found the movie intriguing, however my musical taste spans from popular classical to Hard Rock & Heavy Metal :lol: I just can't stand modern R&B though, all about me, me & me... name dropping + bling! bling! :roll:

Viva La ABBA! :aok:

Splash

time said:
Re the Roger Waters interview: he's still an arrogant SOB, I see. :)

Yes., that *immediately* hit me. In fact, I was quite surprised that Pink Floyd even did that reunion show at all (i.e. -- the Waters problem). I had read more than once that the director of the movie "The Wall" declared Roger waters a giant pain in the @ss to work with. This part of the interview pretty much summed it up well:
  • "I don't keep anything. No T-shirts or backstage passes -- I have nothing at all of my past. I've been divorced so many times and moved so often...

Actually, I fell out with Pink Floyd over The Wall. The only track I really liked was "Comfortably Numb", so I never bought the album.

Are you from the camp who referred to "The Wall" as "Disco Floyd" when it came out? I don't count "The Wall" very high up my Pink Floyd album list, but its alright for the most part. Heck, now that I'm talking about this sort of thing, I'll just sort them in about the order that I like them (top = best):

• Pink Floyd "Meddle"
    Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon"
    Pink Floyd "Obscured By Clouds"
    Pink Floyd "A Saucerful Of Secrets"
    Pink Floyd "Animals"
    Pink Floyd "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn"
    Pink Floyd "Ummagumma"
    Pink Floyd "The Wall"
    Pink Floyd "Atom Heart Mother"
    Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here"

I agree with you about the solo albums, although I haven't listened to Nick Mason's effort.
Well... (chuckle) it's not really Nick Mason, it's actually Carla Bley's band and he is simply fulfilling the role as drummer.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the grand old "Canterbury scene" from the late 60s / early 70s, but Robert Wyatt (of Soft Machine, Matching Mole, and solo fame) is vocalist on the whole "Fictitious Sports" album, and the rest is pretty much Carla Bley's regular band with Nick Mason playing the drums! If it wasn't for the fact that it's actually a pretty decent album, it would be panned by many as a rip-off.

Carla Bley's music is, in a nutshell, melodic artsy fartsy avant-garde jazz. Carla plays piano. Nick Mason's "Fictitious Sports" is NOTHING like Pink Floyd!

Splash

tazwegion said:
That's interesting 'The Wall' was actually what introduced me to the Pink Floyd phenomenon...

I'm pretty sure the first Pink Floyd album I heard (and subsequently bought) was the 2-LP set "Ummagumma" in 1970 -- though, I sometimes think that I might've actually heard either "Saucerful Of Secrets" or "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" before that and (for some reason) wasn't somehow impressed. About a year later, I bought the "Meddle" LP when it came out. "Dark Side Of The Moon" didn't come out until early in '73.

tazwegion said:
Hmmm... different horses, for different courses ;) I actually liked "The Wall" and found the movie intriguing,...

I saw the movie "The Wall" at a cinema house somewhere way back when. However, I had a couple of friends who were able to go see one of Pink Floyd's 6 or 7 or 8 scheduled "The Wall" concerts in 1980 in the Nassau County Colosseum out on Long Island (NYC). "The Wall" concerts were really theatrical events as much as concerts and only occurred in London, New York, and Los Angeles (and maybe one other place), because the huge and complicated stage setup was such a hassle to un-assemble and reassemble -- not to mention the typical multiple-truckloads of quadrophonic PA and music hardware they would usually haul around for a concert event.

...however my musical taste spans from popular classical to Hard Rock & Heavy Metal.

Well, I've got some wacky tastes in music.

Here's my (not updated) CD list. I know that I've added a few CDs and ditched a few more than I added since ast June. <chuckle> You might want to avoid most of these:

http://www.gary-hendershot.com/cd_list/

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Splash said:
Well, I've got some wacky tastes in music.

Here's my (not updated) CD list. I know that I've added a few CDs and ditched a few more than I added since ast June. <chuckle> You might want to avoid most of these:

http://www.gary-hendershot.com/cd_list/

Is Harold Budd's "Pavilion of Dreams" any good?

Splash

i said:
Is Harold Budd's "Pavilion of Dreams" any good?

Hell ya! I wouldn't keep it around if it wasn't. :lol:

I don't particularly care for most of his later albums, though. However, I suspect I will like his recently-released album with Robin Guthrie (of Cocteau Twins fame) titled "Mysterious Skin" -- which I believe is a soundtrack to a movie.

And, I also hear that Harold Budd has decided to retire permanently from performing due to arthritis (I believe he's about 70 years old nowadays).

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Dear musicians et al.,

I do not have a technical understanding of music, so I'm appealing to this group for an explanation of a riff. I've looked online for definition, and I believe that I have some idea. However, is a riff required to play through an entire song? Could (Is) a riff be one short segment? For example, is the beginning of Heart's Barracuda or Joe Walsh's Life's Been Good a riff? Thanks for your help.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting Reuters News Story on Yahoo about Scorsese's two-part documentary on Bob Dylan to be aired Monday and Tuesday on PBS: "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan". Supposedly very good. Paramount has also released this as a double-DVD set. Guess it's a must for Dylan fans.

Splash

Buck said:
I do not have a technical understanding of music, so I'm appealing to this group for an explanation of a riff...

A riff is simply the main theme of a pop song, or a song's "hook." It doesn't necessarily show up in the beginning of a song, but it will at least show up somewhere early. People that write riff-driven songs usually compose the riff -- usually by sitting around composing and polishing a riff, or stringing two or more riffs together to make a complete song. I usually hate riff-based rock, as half the time it’s just a sign that the composer ran out of original ideas.

There are a lot of common guitar riffs, such as a certain bunch that involve playing a note followed by lower-pitched note that’s rapidly bent up in pitch to the previously-played note. These riffs are what I’ve always called “ChuckBerry–isms,” which can be heard in “Johnny B. Goode” and about a million rock’n’roll songs since 1958. Other riffs may be much more complex than these ChuckBerry-isms.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Splash said:
Buck said:
I do not have a technical understanding of music, so I'm appealing to this group for an explanation of a riff...

A riff is simply the main theme of a pop song, or a song's "hook." It doesn't necessarily show up in the beginning of a song, but it will at least show up somewhere early. People that write riff-driven songs usually compose the riff -- usually by sitting around composing and polishing a riff, or stringing two or more riffs together to make a complete song. I usually hate riff-based rock, as half the time it’s just a sign that the composer ran out of original ideas.

There are a lot of common guitar riffs, such as a certain bunch that involve playing a note followed by lower-pitched note that’s rapidly bent up in pitch to the previously-played note. These riffs are what I’ve always called “ChuckBerry–isms,” which can be heard in “Johnny B. Goode” and about a million rock’n’roll songs since 1958. Other riffs may be much more complex than these ChuckBerry-isms.

Sorry this took so long Splash . . . thanks for the explanation. I'm of the school that likes some of that riff-driven music from the 50's and 60's.

Lately I've been playing songs from ELO -- glad I keep my albums around so I can always play them later in time.

GMac

ELO have come back into vogue over here of late also - their 2003 "Light Years" compilation (which I picked up on the cheap 18 months or so ago in a second-hand CD shop) is near the top of my iTunes favourites playlist. Jeff Lynne certainly knew how to write a good tune.....

GM

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Currently listening to a nice Mozart piano concerto by Mitsuko Uchida released though Philips. It is an 8 CD set. Mitsuko recorded with the English Chamber Orchestra.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Over the weekend I found a CD of classical music composed specifically for performance on a theramin.
I am getting a kick out of it, even though it all sounds like it came out of an Ed Wood feature.

Mercutio

Sting, the guy whom I remember from the movie version of Dune and everyone else remembers as an 80s rock star, has released an album of Elizabethan Madrigals.

WTF?!?

It sounds like he's doing it for serious/non-ironic reasons.

Which already makes it better than anything Paul "I have no talent and never ever did" McCartney's classical efforts.

But still... who the hell records 16th century Lute music?

Mercutio

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Complete Score will be released November 7th.

The Fellowship of the Ring complete score is amazing. Can't wait for the new one.

Also: Bear McCreary's scores for the (modern) Battlestar Galactica are extremely cool. Seriously. I've been buying the soundtracks as they came out (there are three, one for the mini-series, and one for each of two full seasons) but yesterday was the first time I listened to them. They make great "gaming music" - very dramatic, atmospheric stuff. The composer makes frequent use of non-traditional instruments, incorporates lots of non-Western music... and vocals are sung in, of all things, Esperanto.

Sol

Storage is cool
That's what that is... I always wondered what language that was when I was watching BSG... Then it got kinda boring and I stopped, but it did always have pretty cool music...

Mercutio

In what horrid, post apocalyptic world do you live in that Battlestar Galactica is "boring?"

Oh. Australia.

Sooo... How are Mad Max and Master Blaster these days?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I was camping in Cape Breton this weekend. Literally, the first thing I did when I got back was download the torrent for this last weekend's Battlestar Galactica episode.

Boring? I haven't watched TV in two years! After watching Season 1 on DVD & Season 2 off torrents, I'm turning on the old tube every Saturday since Season 3 started up. Battlestar is science-fiction in its most true and its greatest tradition: displacing humanity and our culture into a setting to better examine serious social and political issues --and most of all, to bypass people's natural fingers-in-the-ear response to criticism of things they long ago decided were good/necessary. Oh, and I do have to admit the music is terrific; I hadn't considered buying the soundtrack --didn't even know they were available-- but I think I might check out at least one of the discs. I distinctly remember that the percussion in some of the Vyper scenes has definitely affected my heart rate. Any recommendations on which disc to buy if I was just going to get just one at Merc?

(I do have to admit there was a brief period in Season 2 where things were a little less awesome.)

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Battlestar is science-fiction in its most true and its greatest tradition...
Bleh... Just had a very nice dinner with my girlfriend and polished off a bottle of wine in 30 minutes. I think she only had one glass. (Most true... jesus...)

How about, Battlestar is science-fiction in the true tradition of the best works of the genre.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm listening / watching BT's This Binary Universe DVD that comes with the Audio CD. It's got DTS 5.1 and some trippy video synced to the music.