Music

Handruin

Administrator
I used CDex also. If you connect to my slimserver, you will find complete rips for Barenaked Ladies Rock Spectacleand and Linkin Park Meteora. I did the same as you and let the CDDB name everything...but I do't get the sense it is organized as well as your music... I'll work on it to see if I can make it better.

ska is good stuff if you like a bit of brass with your rock. I have some good stuff I can rip if you're interested in listening.

Handruin

Administrator
I can't figure out why it says "Your music library contains 1 album with 39 songs by 2 artists." I created 2 folders, one for each album, but it doesn't recognize it that way.

ddrueding

Fixture
Handruin said:
I can't figure out why it says "Your music library contains 1 album with 39 songs by 2 artists." I created 2 folders, one for each album, but it doesn't recognize it that way.

Does it create the directory structure from the ID3 tags?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You can try. My upload bandwidth is pretty limited. I think I can handle one WAN connection at a time. You just got up, right, JoJo?

The structure represented is in facted based on ID3. I just did some tests and it's all ID3. You could dump everything in one big folder and let the program sort it out, if you're a wildman.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Yup, the sun is just rising here.

And I just remembered that I didn't put sshd up at home, so I can't configure gentoo until this evening....:(

What is you upload bandwidth? Mine was just upgraded to 512kb.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
...Philip Glass and...
I first became familiar with Phillip Glass back in... maybe... 1977 or '78. I bought an "Einstein On The Beach" LP box and the album "North Star" pretty closely together in time.

Then, a few years later, about 1984 or '85, I was throwing out Phillip Glass for good after owning maybe a couple or three more of his albums. The guy just seemed to be stuck in a repetitive rut. By 1984/85, the "Einstein On The Beach" album was a pretty rare comodity (long out-of-print at that point in time) and I sold it in one of my LP auctions for a decent amount.

Onomatopoeic

Mercutio said:
Why don't people like classical music?
I don't *hate* classical music, per se, I just prefer its derivatives -- same thing with blues, jazz, and various "ethnic" musics.

I had classical music pounded into me during my youth. Now, I have rebelled.

Onomatopoeic

ddrueding said:
Current playlist follows:

• Cassius - Music Sounds Better
    CJ Bolland - Electro Power
    Collective Soul - Gel
    Collective Soul - December
    Cracker - Low
    Craig David - Key To My Heart
    The Cranberries - Salvation
    The Crystal Method - The Crystal Method Dubiliscous Groove
    The Crystal Method - Magic Carpet Ride
    The Crystal Method - Wild, Sweet And Cool
    The Crystal Method - Name of The Game
    Danny Tenaglia - Music Is The Answer
    Dave Brubeck - Take Five
    David Gray - Sail Away
    DJ Shadow - Building Steam With A Grain of Salt
    Don't Look Down - Still The One
    Dynamite Hack - Anyway
    Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
    Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation
    3 Doors Down - Better Life
    311 - Amber
    4 Non Blondes - What's Up
    The Who - Pinball Wizard
    The White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl
    Violent Femmes - Blister In The Sun
    Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls
    US3 - Cantaloop
    Unified Theory - Breathe
    U.N.K.L.E. - Eye 4 An Eye
    Twisted Pair - Vampyros Lesbos
    Tracy Chapman - All That You Have Is Your Soul
    Tool - Opiate
    Tokyo Ghetto Pussy - I Kiss Your Lips
    Tom Cochrane - Life Is A Highway
    Toad The Wet Sprocket - All I Want
    Texas - Say What You Want
    Sublime - Saw Red
    Stroke 9 - Little Black Backpack
    Stone Temple Pilots - Wicked Garden

From your list, the only one's I'm NOT familiar with:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cassius - Music Sounds Better
CJ Bolland - Electro Power
David Gray - Sail Away
Don't Look Down - Still The One
Dynamite Hack - Anyway
Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
Unified Theory - Breathe
Tokyo Ghetto Pussy - I Kiss Your Lips
Stroke 9 - Little Black Backpack

Howell said:
  • Beth Orton
    Catie Curtis
    Cristine Kane
    Cindy Morgan
    Cowboy Junkies
    Frente
    Gillian Welsh
    Jan Krist
    Jill Phillips
    Kate Wolf
    Kelly Willis
    Kim Hill
    Kristy MacColl
    Loreena McKennit
    Lucinda Williams
    Mary Chapin Carpenter
    Merril Bainbridge
    Over the Rhine
    Patty Loveless
    Sam Phillips
    Sara Groves
    Shawn Colvin
    Innocence Mission
    Suzanne Vega
    Victoria Williams

And, from your list, the only one's I'm NOT familiar with:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catie Curtis
Cristine Kane
Cindy Morgan
Frente
Jan Krist
Jill Phillips
Kelly Willis
Kim Hill
Over the Rhine
Sara Groves

ddrueding

Fixture
Cassius - Music Sounds Better - Mid-Tempo modern dance (house music)
CJ Bolland - Electro Power - Mid-90's Hi-Energy Electronic (definatly dated, but I'm nostalgic)
David Gray - Sail Away - Beautiful "Soft Rock". Great voice/piano. Fairly popular
Don't Look Down - Still The One - Grunge/Punk cover of a country song
Dynamite Hack - Anyway - Grunge/Punk song, fairly depressing. There is a beautiful acoustic/vocal version as well.
Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight - Quite pop-ish, but well done. Good feelings.
Unified Theory - Breathe - Blind Melon re-incarnate.
Tokyo Ghetto Pussy - I Kiss Your Lips - Classic asian-electronic. Worth hearing ONCE, good for a laugh.
Stroke 9 - Little Black Backpack - Modern punk, but with definate skill.

Mercutio

Onomatopoeic said:
Mercutio said:
...Philip Glass and...

Then, a few years later, about 1984 or '85, I was throwing out Phillip Glass for good after owning maybe a couple or three more of his albums. The guy just seemed to be stuck in a repetitive rut. By 1984/85, the "Einstein On The Beach" album was a pretty rare comodity (long out-of-print at that point in time) and I sold it in one of my LP auctions for a decent amount.

I can sit and listen to all 3 discs of "Music in 12 parts", which is probably his most visciously minimalist piece, and be entertained. But if you get the urge to try his music again, I'd suggest tracking down his scoring for "Dracula", the album he did with Uatki (a lot like Blue Man Group, uses found objects for instruments) or his Solo Piano CD. Whatever else you might think, Einstein on the beach is a really unique experience. :)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
http://mercutio.dnsalias.com:9000/stream.mp3
I connect but then it just "buffers" to 100% over and over again.

Did any body else open the link in a web browser? Interesting.

Explorer

Mercutio said:
I can sit and listen to all 3 discs of "Music in 12 parts", which is probably his most visciously minimalist piece, and be entertained...

Yes, I recall having that one as well back in the late '70s. I bought it on the cheap, something like $4.99, new, on Virgin Records (UK), or their budget Caroline label. It seemed like it had a gaudy orange jacket with white artwork -- orchestral charts, maybe. I half way kinda liked that one, actually. You say 3 discs, I know that this one was only one disc (LP). "Einstein..." was a 3-LP set (box actually) on Tomato Records (Netherlands).

I have a printout from about 1984/5 of all the vinyl I owned, then, before I auctioned it all off. I was at maybe 2400 LPs, then. None of it common crapola. I'll have to dig it out and see what Phillip Glass I had.

Mercutio

You're thinking of "Music in Changing Parts". I don't know what the album looked like; the Nonesuch CD issue is a cool silvered photo of the composer.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc, at what bitrate do you rip?

BTW, I use Audiograbber and it creates the same directory structure as you describe.

Mercutio

It depends. 160kpbs, most recently. 192k, typically.
I could go back and encode a bunch of stuff at 128k or 96k to see if that would make my slimserver run better over the internet...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
It depends. 160kpbs, most recently. 192k, typically.
I could go back and encode a bunch of stuff at 128k or 96k to see if that would make my slimserver run better over the internet...

Do you use variable bit rate encoding?

Mercutio

Yu. And I'm using LAME for a codec, if that matters.
I probably ought to switch to OGG. IMO 128k OGG sounds better than 192k MP3.

Mercutio

Not on the client end. You're requesting traffic. Usually that's something that's explicitly allowed.

Probably you're just not getting enough of a stream to actually play anything.

I need more DSL lines.

tealeaf

What is this storage?
Bartender said:
flagreen said:
Bartender said:
flagreen said:
Isn't "Blues" short for "Rhythm and Blues"? I believe that's where R&R has it's roots but I could be wrong. I know I've heard not only Hendrix play what I would call "Blues" but also Slow Hand and even Bill Wyman (SP?). OK so the last two are white. But as I heard The Giver say once, "They're blue eyed and pale but they sure can wail".

Flagreen, I'm sure you meant R&B. When I saw you mention "wail", I thought of Louis Prima - many of his songs have great rhythm.
Actually I did mean Rock and Roll. But I don't know enough about music aside from what I like and dislike to say so. I'm not a fan of J L Hooker though I like his brand of music in general. I just don't care for his vocals or guitar playing. Not that I can do either. Keith Richards (actually when I said Bill Wyman above I was thinking of Richards) is very talented though as are the rest of the people time mentions. Clapton in particular is an excellent R&B man. Van Morrison is also one of my favorites.

You are right Flagreen, Rock & Roll does have its roots in R&B - they just took the rhythm section and ran! Elvis, Bill Haley, Johnny and the Hurricanes – great music from that era.

Not forgetting Chuck Berry - the man acredited with inventing R & B?

.Nut

ddrueding said:
Jungle sounds so much better after 2AM.

Dieselboy - Invid

Awesome

Back in 1997/98, I liked jungle / drum'n'bass. By 1999 I was sick of it. Still am.

.Nut

Mercutio said:
You're thinking of "Music in Changing Parts"...

I went back and looked at my old LP listing, and it was "Music in 12 Parts, Parts 1 and 2" on the Virgin / Caroline (UK) record label.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I can't believe nobody meantioned him before. I just heard him in the last couple of weeks and I can get "Vaseline Machine Gun" out of my head.

Corvair

Howell said:
I can't believe nobody meantioned him before...

I met up with Leo K. almost 30 years ago ('77 / '78-ish). I did an interview with him. Anyway, I recall that he was out promoting his "Burnt Lips" album at the time, because I recall bringing back a box of 20 promo LPs to the radio station. I believe I've known of him since about '73 or so.

He's mostly a 12-string (acoustic) player. In fact, when I saw him play on his "Burnt Lips" tour, that's basically all he played -- 12-string - and very little 6-string. If you know something about playing a 12-string (acoustic or electric) guitar, it's harder to press down the strings to the frets. Well, I recall hearing some rumours, a while later after I saw him play, that he had to take a rather extended break to allow his newly-acquired carpal tunnel syndrome wear off. :eek:

Yes, he's one of the best 12-string acoustic players ever! Even then, he's hardly a household name (e.g. -- Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Beck, etc.).

Corvair

OK! Here's my entire audio compact disc collection. I'm posting it for informational / educational / discussional purposes only! None are for sale, and... erm... I'm not gonna burn copies of anything either.

I dumped all my vinyl LPs back during the 1982 ~ 1984/5 time frame. Then, as they became available, I began replacing the vintage vinyl LP titles that I wanted to have again (maybe 85%) with compact disc equivalents. Most of that 85% has been reissued on CD, but there are still a few that haven't. I also picked lots of mid-80s - to - present-day titles along the way as well.

Every once in a while I'll dump a few titles or even whole groups that I don't listen to anymore or that I now dislike. Example: I recently dumped all my "In The Nursery" (a group) CDs and I also whittled my 5 or 6 "Damned" (The Damned -- a group) CD titles down to just the 2 that I still care anything about. I store the titles in a database to keep track of them.

NOTE: It might take a number of seconds for it to load 8)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
One artist caught my eye and that was Durutti Column. Durutti was a Spanish Anarchist that lead a division called the Durutti Column in Aragon during 1936. What kind of music is this anyways?

Onomatopoeic

timwhit said:
One artist caught my eye and that was Durutti Column. Durutti was a Spanish Anarchist that lead a division called the Durutti Column in Aragon during 1936. What kind of music is this anyways?

Yep. Buenaventura Durutti, I believe.

The music of Durutti Column is pretty unique -- sort of electric guitar chamber music that at times meets jazz with maybe a touch of Brazilian, Spanish, or Jamaican influence. A couple of the last 2 D.C. releases weren't very good in my opinion (I don't own them for that reason) as they were sort of "normal" rock recordings. But, the first 4 albums especially ("Return of The Durutti Column," "LC," etc) and a few after that were quite amazingly good. Those were from 1979, '80, and '81, then some bright spots in the mid 80s including the first "solo" Vini Reilly album.

The amazing fact is that Durutti Column actually started off as a *really* grating punk band around 1978/9. Then one by one everybody left except its founder, Vini Reilly. Once everyone was gone, he wiped the slate clean. Fortunately, the first Durutti Column release didn't come out until Vini was in control. I bought those early releases after I heard the two D.C. tracks on the various artist album "A Factory Sampler" (Factory Records, UK) released in 1979.