Latest in ripping CDs to MP3

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
My Dad was unpleasantly surprised to find out his new car does not have a CD player. What is the quickest way you guys recommend to rip his audio CDs to MP3 format for him to use in his car? I've used EAC before, I think, but that was a long time ago. I'm on Windows 10. He probably has about 10 CDs that need ripping.

Thanks!

Handruin

Administrator
I still use EAC with Lame to rip my CDs into mp3 and FLAC. Technically it's FLAC first then I convert the FLAC to mp3...but it doesn't sound like your dad will want that. I use settings from one of the discussions on here with SD from years past. I'll have to dig it up and past you in a link.

Stereodude

Not really a
How does the radio play back MP3s? Does it have a SD card slot, internal HD, or from a USB flash drive?

Stereodude

Not really a
Its a little easier now. Accuraterip is now baked into EAC and LAME has a newer version, but overall the idea is still basically the same. In general I'd recommend using AAC (qaac specifically) now if the car will play them back and you don't need mp3 elsewhere for compatibility. They achieve the same quality with smaller files, though I guess with only 10 CDs it doesn't matter much.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks guys. The car is a 2015 Chrysler 200. It has a USB port so I figured I'd get my Dad one of these: http://tinyurl.com/nefde5l Surprisingly I remembered I started that old thread...doesn't seem like 9 years though! I would like to have guaranteed compatibility so it seems like mp3 is the way to go.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
My Dad retired from Chrysler, so I guess he feels obligated to buy/lease from them.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Does running EAC for speed rather than quality result in any significant degradation to sound quality (that a 73 year old could hear)?

My Dad gave me more CDs that I expected and my BR drive is slow at ripping on the quality setting (starts out at 1.2x and then peaks out at about 5x IIRC).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I sincerely doubt it. Your dad is probably used to hearing all that stuff in mono from an AM radio. Plus you're ripping to a lossy format in the first place. Why bother with a bit perfect copy if you're going to immediately toss 20% of the data?

Stereodude

Not really a
My Dad gave me more CDs that I expected and my BR drive is slow at ripping on the quality setting (starts out at 1.2x and then peaks out at about 5x IIRC).
Some drives rip faster than others with EAC in secure mode. That's pretty slow. If you're using accurate rip you'll know if they're ripped incorrect even if you rip with it set for speed.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Great! Set for speed and at ~25x including compression time now (30-40x rip speed). Thanks!