iPhone syndrome

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm looking for an application that will allow me more fine-grained control on power settings. For example, I'd like the screen to stay on for more than 1 minute when connected to power, but to turn off after a minute when using the battery. Any ideas?
The display is one of the biggest battery hogs. One minute is too long on battery; try 30 secs. I have mine set to 10 secs on my Nokia E71 (Symbian) phone. I get multiple days of use on one charge.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Thinking of picking up a Garmin-Asus A10.

2.jpg
5.jpg

HVGA capacitive touch screen, 1500mAh battery, 512MB RAM + 512MB SLC flash, 5MP auto-focus camera, no flash, no radio. Maps are stored in the phone so turn-by-turn navigation (walking, bus or driving) is available without data costs.

It appears to be the cheapest Android phone in Australia at the moment; v1.6 although they say v2.1 will be available in July.

It's a bit hard to relate to US pricing, but it's about US$22/month, including 200MB data and a couple hours of bundled calls, etc.

Anyone got an opinion, or even a vague feeling?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Kind of seems like a grasp at remaining relevant on the part of Garmin. But that's a pretty decent array of specifications and the price is downright reasonable compared to most smartphone plans here.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The display is rather small for a GPS. I prefer separate devices for automotive use. A GPS is cheap and doesn't need to be replaced frequently. However, I don't have a need for walking around with an automotive style GPS though I sometimes use a trail GPS.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently, once the display has powered down after a minute or so, default Android behavior is to require the user to press the power button to wake up the phone. Then the user has to either double-tap an icon or swipe a pattern to authenticate themselves. Then they have to choose that they want to use the phone as a phone. Finally, they can dial a number.

WTF? :rant:

It doesn't help that any decent power button is recessed/flush to avoid accidental pressing. With touchscreen phones lacking tactile protrusions (eg. a mechanical keypad), it can be a drama just working out which way is up so you can find the button.

It also doesn't help that these buttons are simply not designed for 50 presses a day. Ask the unhappy Nexus One customers, for example.

This and other aspects of Android have further shaken my faith in Google's competence.

Many Android users can use third-party utilities to revive their phones by mapping a physical button such as Menu. But phones such as the Evo (and the Garmin-Asus) rely almost 100% on touch-sensitive areas. Which are powered down when the display is powered down, as is the accelerometer (although apparently you can use movement to awake some HTC models).

So that leaves the volume controls on the side. But even that won't work on the Garmin-Asus A10.

In contrast, our Symbian-based Nokia 5800 only needs a single tap on the display to fire it up. Or you can press the physical menu key directly. There's a nifty momentary slide switch on the side to toggle locking of the display when you put it in a pocket etc.

How come none of the Android-adopters here have mentioned this crap? Have you already installed a workaround, or do you not actually use your phone to call people?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I actually think the power button press is a plus. It prevents the phone from accidentally turning on while in my pocket. I do think it is too small and hard to press on the Evo though.

But the phone process on my HTC Evo is: power button -> swipe down to unlock -> press phone button at bottom of screen -> dial number or choose person.

The only annoying thing happens at the end of the call. The End Call button is not as responsive as it should be so sometimes I end up hitting it again and thus initiating a call back to the same person. This should be solved by having the End Call button not be in the same place as the call button. Or maybe it will be solved when I get 2.2 on this phone.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I've only had my Evo 4G for 13 days. The power button hasn't broken yet, I'll let you know if it becomes an issue.

Time, you better stick to Nokia devices, nothing else will ever work right for you.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You're being a bit obtuse, Timwhit. No phone with a separate keypad has ever worked liked that. And I haven't had a Nokia myself for years.

There used to be an emphasis on easy one-handed operation - after all, it's a bloody phone. Even the iPhone has an easy-to-press button in addition to the Sleep button.

And I wasn't kidding about the power button, we had to make a warranty claim to repair one. Why don't you read some people's experiences with the Nexus One?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You're being a bit obtuse, Timwhit.

Thank you.

I really don't think it's as big of a deal as you're making it. Maybe I will change my mind if the power button breaks, but being able to download a simple application to remap the button seems to be a good enough fix.

The power button on the Evo 4G is not flush, so I have no problem locating it, even in the dark.

No device is perfect, if it worked one way, someone will not like it and if it worked opposite, then someone else won't like it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
There used to be an emphasis on easy one-handed operation - after all, it's a bloody phone. Even the iPhone has an easy-to-press button in addition to the Sleep button.

The iPhone requires you push one of the mechanical buttons (front or top) to wake the phone and then you have to swipe to reveal the home screen. If you have the phone pin-locked you have to enter the pin after the swipe. Then you have to open the phone application and enter a number or select a contact. It is a bunch of steps but not terribly awkward to do this one handed. The swipe is the most awkward. There is no way to speed dial. The contact favorites (the closest thing to speed dial) can be accessed from a double press of the front button if you set it that way.

Alternatively calling via voice recognition can be accessed by holding down the front button after waking it up. Press and press-hold from sleep mode.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The power button on the Evo 4G is not flush, so I have no problem locating it, even in the dark.

That would be the nub of it. On the Garmin-Asus, it's tiny and completely flush. The only way is to hold the phone the same way each time so that your finger tip can probe for it.

There are flaws in the basic Android design that don't affect other platforms, eg power management, which is why I quoted the Nokia example. HTC must have overcome them to produce phones like the Desire.

On a more positive note, I'm otherwise forming an increasingly positive impression of Garmin's interpretation of Android. The GPS receiver is very good indeed, achieving lock remarkably quickly and without any fuss. Combined with the stored maps and supplemented by cell detection, the whole positioning experience is effortless. It's far superior to other GPS phones I've seen. Interestingly, it seamlessly integrates with Google Maps for StreetView etc.

For example, from the home screen I can tap: Where To - Points of Interest - Shopping, tap the microphone icon and speak the name of a chain of liquor stores. The phone displays a matching list with distances from my current location. I can either call the store or tap it to see it on a map, and of course I can choose to get turn-by-turn directions to the store. Pretty slick.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Anyone going to canada to get an unlocked iphone 4? I am skipping the whole mess but if I was thinking about getting one this would be the only way I would consider. Unless there is something I am not aware of that apple would relock it if detected in the US.

On another note I got a ultimate ears triplefi vi but when I use them with my blackberry 8330 I get a ton of audio hiss in calls. Also sometimes when I pull them out of my ipod and plug it into the phone to answer a call the sound level is too low to hear anyone, can just barely hear them talking. Its like the phone needs a second to react to you plugging in a headset. Wonder if a software update will help?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
That would be the nub of it. On the Garmin-Asus, it's tiny and completely flush. The only way is to hold the phone the same way each time so that your finger tip can probe for it.

There are flaws in the basic Android design that don't affect other platforms, eg power management, which is why I quoted the Nokia example. HTC must have overcome them to produce phones like the Desire.

On a more positive note, I'm otherwise forming an increasingly positive impression of Garmin's interpretation of Android. The GPS receiver is very good indeed, achieving lock remarkably quickly and without any fuss. Combined with the stored maps and supplemented by cell detection, the whole positioning experience is effortless. It's far superior to other GPS phones I've seen. Interestingly, it seamlessly integrates with Google Maps for StreetView etc.

For example, from the home screen I can tap: Where To - Points of Interest - Shopping, tap the microphone icon and speak the name of a chain of liquor stores. The phone displays a matching list with distances from my current location. I can either call the store or tap it to see it on a map, and of course I can choose to get turn-by-turn directions to the store. Pretty slick.

So it's like Google Maps Navigation? Does that exist in Australia?

The Droid has a "flush" power button, but it's simple muscle memory to orient the phone in the dark to hit the power button and swipe across to unlock. It's a secure way of not accidentally making calls etc.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
New Apple privacy policy

I wouldn't normally think any company was powerful enough to do such coercion because sales numbers are normally king. Apparently Apple and Facebook have the power of being able to totally strip privacy from their customers. I wonder how long before it becomes the norm for all companies?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
New Apple privacy policy

I wouldn't normally think any company was powerful enough to do such coercion because sales numbers are normally king. Apparently Apple and Facebook have the power of being able to totally strip privacy from their customers. I wonder how long before it becomes the norm for all companies?

If Apple and the like can get away with it, then expect it to become more normal than not...

I guess one could always 'live off the grid' and become a ghost in modern society. As long as most people deal in cash only, and certain shops offer free 'wifi' (aka MacDonalds, Starbucks, etc), and with enough free services on the internet, then it's possible to be a nobody...

LunarMist

I was a nobody before there was an internet or cell phones. :alb:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I wonder why they didn't increase the screen size? 4.3" seems like a sweet spot to me. I'm sure there are plenty of people that think 4.3" is too big though.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know either. Did you look at the example images showing the higher ppi with their new screen though? Even though the screen isn't as big as some of the competitors, the quality seems to be pretty good.

Does the htc evo fit in your pants pocket without issue? I normally keep my iPhone in my pocket, but if the phone was much bigger, it would be annoying even if I would enjoy a larger screen. Have you also figured out a way to cope/improve the battery life on that phone?

LunarMist

Those tiny pixels are for young eyeballs. :)
If I had tons of money and time to use it, I could see the appeal of the iPhone.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't know either. Did you look at the example images showing the higher ppi with their new screen though? Even though the screen isn't as big as some of the competitors, the quality seems to be pretty good.

Does the htc evo fit in your pants pocket without issue? I normally keep my iPhone in my pocket, but if the phone was much bigger, it would be annoying even if I would enjoy a larger screen. Have you also figured out a way to cope/improve the battery life on that phone?

The pixel density of the iPhone 4 is higher than the Evo, but the Evo still has an 800x480px screen, so the pixel density is pretty high.

My Evo fits in all my pants pockets no problem. The battery hasn't been as much of a problem as I initially thought. I manage what is turned on to save power. I turn off GPS, WiFi, etc if I'm not using them.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
My Evo lasts more than a day no problem. I leave wifi and gps on. I only have 4G turned off (barely a signal at work - none at home). I do minimal calling though. I use it to play music at work and to check e-mail and send texts.

My wife's seem not to last as long. I changed some settings on her phone and we'll see how it does. I think some batteries are good and others not so good.

Handruin

Administrator
That's good to hear it's not as bad as initially thought. I know there is a lot of internet chatter about poor battery life. I do the same as you even with my iPhone. I turn off all unneeded options such as bluetooth, wifi, mail push updates, etc. Those seem to help a lot.

My GF might be looking for a new phone and the HTC EVO might be a nice option provided the battery life isn't too poor.

LunarMist

Glass? Why did they not use a high-impact clear resin? :sunny:

LunarMist

Higher pixel density will help anyone regardless of age see things more clearly. Especially when you are able to zoom in on web pages and adjust font sizes throughout other applications.

That is true if the image sizes are the same. I was assuming that the images sizes would shrink somewhat, especially on the icons.

LunarMist

It is probably not so hilarious for those spending thousands on the latest iPhone. :oops: I liked the old days when phones has external antennas. I guess that is not cool enough for the users.

Handruin

Administrator
iPhone 4 or EVO 4G comparison. I'll wait for more time to elapse before deciding which one I'd want. The antenna issues on the iPhone 4 seem like it should have been caught in testing which is pretty sad. I'm curious to see how bad it really is. For now I'm fine with the updated software on my 3GS.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I played with a coworker's iPhone 4 today. The screen is too small. It's probably better for people with small hands. But, my hands are normal sized, so I prefer to have the larger screen.

Sol

Storage is cool
iPhone 4 or EVO 4G comparison. I'll wait for more time to elapse before deciding which one I'd want. The antenna issues on the iPhone 4 seem like it should have been caught in testing which is pretty sad. I'm curious to see how bad it really is. For now I'm fine with the updated software on my 3GS.

I don't know, the bumper case seems to be awfully coincidental if it isn't a deliberate fix for the antenna issue... Apple could make this whole controversy go away if they took a leaf out of Nintendo's book and just included one with the phone. (Hell make it a slightly ugly clear one that people will want to replace) It wouldn't seem so suspicious except that Apple have so studiously avoided offering cases in the past despite previous iPhones and iPod being made of somewhat less robust materials than gorilla glass and stainless steel.

But then again if selling a phone for 500-600 pounds and refusing to include a 1-2 pound plastic strip needed to make it work reliably seems cheap, shelling out 500-600 pounds for a phone and balking at the extra 25 pounds for the plastic strip it needs to work reliably seems just as misguided. I mean sure, it's utterly inexcusable to ship a product like that when you're sitting on a cheap effective solution, but if you're going to forgive Apple their app store policies, privacy policy concerns, and all their other recent dodgyness it seems silly to quibble over just one more thing...

And anyway, Steve's right, you should be able to use your phone without touching that area... Unless you're left handed, or like using your phone in landscape mode. So consider the bumper case the next step up, an extra 25 quid for an iPhone you can rotate and use in landscape mode seems eminently fair, Apple are just cutting down on SKUs to avoid confusion. And really left handed people cost a disproportionate amount to engineer things for, it's only fair that they get charged a little extra to recoup some of the cost of making the iPhone ambidextrous.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm right handed and I always use my phone with my left hand when talking. Sounds like I'd be out of luck with it.