Genome@Home

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi people!

We seem to be crunching along quite well, way to go people!!!! Keep up the good work!

If there only was a client that could handle http traffic, then I could use a few more computers at work to help us out... :(

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
Bartender, when will your systems be picked up by your customers? I'm starting to worry about my #2 spot :roll: Just joking, it's great that you can offer us that much computing power.

The systems have been delivered, I just assemble and hookup new ones. The newer ones have been faster CPUs too. This has allowed me to take my my personal system off Genome (it needs a rest). Also, Storageforum_net has stopped crunching, all of his time is now spent as the Bartender.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
I'm glad to see JoJo computing as many units as myself and Kevin. We are now doing more than 6000 units/week, very impressive for a relatively small team like ours.

Bartender, when will your systems be picked up by your customers? I'm starting to worry about my #2 spot :roll: Just joking, it's great that you can offer us that much computing power.

Doug, is one of your system down? You have slowed down since a few days. Still having problems with the Linux client?

BTW, my second box is doing quite a competition to PeeWee in the lower section of the stats page. Will P.W. let himself be beaten by a secretary (the person who uses that system)? :lol:

I noticed last night that we were crunching 6K a week!! Unfortunately my stats are dropping because I can't keep the Linux box crunching. I'm going to try uninstalling the client and reinstalling it to see if that makes any difference. I'll try rebooting the server also to see if something weird is going on with Linux. It's been up for over a month now. (not that it can't handle it). I might have screwed something up in the install...I'll see what I can do.

I still have 3 systems crunching 24x7, and the Quad Xeon was giving me a little extra boost until it stopped working. :) Maybe I'll throw Win 2K on it. ;)

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
We have a friend of mine crunching for us now. Dozer brings a squad of 2 ~800MHz pIIIs and should show up on the charts tomorrow.

I will bring up my new Duron 850 in the next couple days.

You may have noticed that I have been overproducing of late. I decided to bite the bullet and fire up the machine I use for gaming that sits in my bedroom. It runs 24/7 now. Did you ever notice how an X15 makes a perpetual high pitched ringing? I can tell you that noise does weird stuff to your dreams!

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
The systems have been delivered, I just assemble and hookup new ones. The newer ones have been faster CPUs too. This has allowed me to take my my personal system off Genome (it needs a rest). Also, Storageforum_net has stopped crunching, all of his time is now spent as the Bartender.

Just configure G@H to run as a service and your customers can all help us without even knowing it! All your customers could be on the SF Team! :p J/K

C

Sol

Storage is cool
I just started running the Gnome client with the offline option. Anyone how long will it keep going before it needs more data to work on?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Sol said:
I just started running the Gnome client with the offline option. Anyone how long will it keep going before it needs more data to work on?

It'll keep running happily on -nonet forever. I've run it for 3-4 weeks while I was away and it was still running fine when I got back.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
One thing to keep in mind is to make sure it is crunching on a large gene (70-80+ AA), as otherwise the mb usage when you finally upload can get costly for people on dl limited dial up :(

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm .... good news, I think. My XP 1800 has been running G@H for two or three days now and hasn't crashed. It was hopeless before. I think it hates the UD software. Since I disabled the UD G@H seems to be stable.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
Too bad our team is not into the millions yet. :roll:
Well, we aren't quite up to the level of these teams yet. If we compare our production to the one of mega-units teams, we would be the weakest of them all. Although we are close to the beat of team Picard and team Genome Research Group (both at ~9300 units/week), our 6300 units/week is just not enough to compete with the best.

Still, we have no reason to be ashamed. Of all the 1245 teams, only the following teams are crunching faster than us :
  • #58 Bulgarian Networks : ~12300 units/week
    #47 The Lab : ~7800 units/week
    #42 TechIMO : ~6500 units/week
    #35 Team Evil : ~10200 units/week
    #33 EASILYADDICTIVEdotcom : ~6700 units/week
    #30 Team ADD : ~7200 units/week
    #29 GENEtals : ~14000 units/week
    #27 Phoenix_Rising : ~16600 units/week
    #26 FreeDC : ~8300 units/week
    #25 WWW_AMDMB_COM : ~32400 units/week (!)
    #22 SpeedGuide : ~20000 units/week
    #20 TDIclub : ~8800 units/week
As well as the first 17 teams.

All in all, despite our low number, we are still the 30th producing team WORLDWIDE. Not bad huh?

Handruin

Administrator
Once I can get my new desk purchased (waiting for a truck to get it shipped here), I plan on building a second machine and adding it to the genome crunch farm. :) I'll try and get some people at work to join, I know one of the coworkers lets his machine run 24x7...so why not help us out, eh? :)

I think we are all doing awesome for a small team!!!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If I wasn't encoding video much of the time, I'd have some machines to throw in as well. Maybe I could throw in some of the machines at the training company where I work instead.

Would 16 K6-3/450s crunching for 12 hours or so a week actually be helpful, though? I wouldn't run it when I wasn't in the classroom. Does the client fit on a floppy, by chance?

Personally the ill-defined motives of the Genome@Home project are a bit bothersome, but less so than UD Cancer thing.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
If I wasn't encoding video much of the time, I'd have some machines to throw in as well. Maybe I could throw in some of the machines at the training company where I work instead.

Would 16 K6-3/450s crunching for 12 hours or so a week actually be helpful, though? I wouldn't run it when I wasn't in the classroom. Does the client fit on a floppy, by chance?

Personally the ill-defined motives of the Genome@Home project are a bit bothersome, but less so than UD Cancer thing.

If running G@H on those machines doesn't cause a burden on your shoulders, I think the shear mass of machines you mentioned could potential crunch a decent amount of units. Even if it's only for 12 hours or so a week.

Do you let those video encoding machines run through the night? (I'm guessing yes) If not, could you tap that resource?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The damn client stopped working late last evening on my most powerful system so I wasted more than 10 hours of possible work, ARRGGHH!!! It crunched only one sequence (on 30) of a 67 positions gene in 10 hours, where it usually does at least two of these genes in the same amount of time.

I don't know why the cllient sometimes freeze like that for no reason. I hope it won't happen with the upcoming client 2.0 because it's very frustrating.

Mercutio

Handruin said:
Do you let those video encoding machines run through the night? (I'm guessing yes) If not, could you tap that resource?

On a given night I'm probably using at least half of my machines full-out. Netflix keeps me happily crunching away at new video. :)

Among the rest, two are laptops, the faster a Celeron 433, the slower a P5/233. One is an HP Unix workstation, one a Sun (which is getting on in years, now). The other two that aren't encoding are serving the files that the others are working on.

I'll have to see what I can do as far as setting up a lab full of computers. I may be able to do that and may not.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Handruin said:

On a given night I'm probably using at least half of my machines full-out. Netflix keeps me happily crunching away at new video. :)

Among the rest, two are laptops, the faster a Celeron 433, the slower a P5/233. One is an HP Unix workstation, one a Sun (which is getting on in years, now). The other two that aren't encoding are serving the files that the others are working on.

I'll have to see what I can do as far as setting up a lab full of computers. I may be able to do that and may not.

What model HP workstation do you have Merc? I use a J6000 although there are several 5000's 5600's and even an old 3000 around here as well as some crappy old Sun Sparc stations....wish I could get Genome running on them but I dan't even get past the firewall. Besides, I like having a job...helps pay for bills and stuff.

C

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Bartender said:
I'm knockin' at your back door Coug.
I kinda noticed, thank you. Unfortunately, I cannot go any faster. You weren't able to overtake me with your Storageforum_net profile, but now it seems you will. Unless you lower your pace somehow, I doubt I'll be able to reach you again later on as I don't plan to add any other boxes for the Genome soon.

Doug should be behind you in a few weeks too.

Mercutio

I have an *old* HP, C.

It's a model 715. I think it's about 80MHz. It might be as fast as 110MHz. I don't really care. It's my firewall/mail relay. Not that I have anything to firewall at home. I use it to read mail and be all OpenBSD-ishly impeneterable. More than fast enough for what it's for.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Our stats page has changed slightly. The layout of the link in the top left corner are placed horizontaly and there's a new link to the Java version of the page.

Dunno who did that, but I like it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Incredible, I'm currently calculating a gene with 96 positions to filter! First time ever I see a gene with more than 94 positions. I'm so proud!
Hmmm...

I think I'm gonna go out and breath some fresh air.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Be careful with the fresh air. It becomes addictive and you'll neve want to go back inside! :D

I've noticed that you get more positions to filter if you have a system that is constantly calculating and uploading data - or am I just hallucinating again?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think I just had one with 99 positions. Is that what the numbers are that scroll down the command prompt window just before it really starts crunching?

Clocker

Mercutio

Huh? Fresh air? Out-side?

Oh. The place with no ceiling and all the dirt.

Hm? That's addictive? I guess it should be regulated or something.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Huh? Fresh air? Out-side?

Oh. The place with no ceiling and all the dirt.

Hm? That's addictive? I guess it should be regulated or something.

Yes, that place. I'd show you pictures, but you disable your images in the browser. Oh, and there are places where the "outside" is free of gun fire, noise and air pollution. However, this does require the movement of your body, some know it as walking, others view it as work. Plus, when you're outside, and the light goes out, don't try replacing the bulb, it will come back the next morning. :D

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Clocker said:
I think I just had one with 99 positions.
Bravo, did you really had to burst my bubble? ;-)

It must be very recent because it still doesn't appear in your stats. I passed throught all of them and none of your genes had 99 residus.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
One of mine is working on one with 98. :roll:

My no loger have a prefix of "phase2". They are all "RMSD0#", where # is a single digit number. Are we out of the beta phase of the project?

Handruin

Administrator
*cough* *cough*

ghc.jpg

:wink:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Genome@home stats server has been down for quite a while. It's frustrating that it continues to work for the top teams but not for most of the others. They should really do something to enhance their uptime. So far, it's been so bad that it makes me wonder if they are running their server on Windows. There hasn't been a week without a hick for the stats server since I started.

Handruin

Administrator
I thought something strange was going on. I rebuilt the linux box and started the ghclient 2.0 on it. I was hoping my stats would increase but I couldn't see a difference yet.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep_frontbottom

Last updated on Sun May 5 15:29:26 PDT 2002

Member of team Overclockers-Network # 567443298

Current rank: 419 out of 18104 users
Total units processed: 26745.67
Total genes designed: 1963
Genoming since: Fri Mar 23 09:00:00 2001
Last unit returned: Sun May 5 00:00:00 2002 (PDT)

Working ok for me now. Keep in mind Statsman takes a while to update after an outage.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Ok, it finally came back on service. Congrats to Bartender for overtaking me during the stats server downtime.

I won't compute as fast as I use to in the next few days because my second fastest computer has moved and it's not yet connected to the Net. I should be back to my usual 1000 units/week beat next week.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Run it on -nonet Coug, then you will have a nice big dump when you get it back online.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Pradeep,

I would have done this but I wasn't the one who moved the box. However, when I'll move in two months, I won't forget to do that.

BTW, is it just me or the Genome@home client give us bigger genes to calculate these days? Both my systems running at home are crunching 97 positions genes right now.