Genome@Home

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Huh? Extra click? What on earth are you guys talking about? There is no extra click involved. Move mouse to over minimized app, left-click once, app is restored to whatever state you left it in (windowed or full screen). Where is this "extra click" coming from?

Handruin

Administrator
Tea said:
Huh? Extra click? What on earth are you guys talking about? There is no extra click involved. Move mouse to over minimized app, left-click once, app is restored to whatever state you left it in (windowed or full screen). Where is this "extra click" coming from?

I'm confused then. I thought the utility minimized applications into one icon located in the area next to the clock, or the "notification area" as MS calls it :?:

I guess I should install it and see what the hell I'm guessing about.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Without having installed it but based on other minimizers i have run in the past, I imagine it minimizes each application to its own tray icon.

The hard part is deftly hovering over a tray icon at high resolution to figure out which one you want to restore.

I usually have 8-10 windows open. Alt-tab is king.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
For only 8 - 10 windows, Alt-Tab is perfect, or, if you prefer to mouse around, a sideways start bar works well. (i.e., down the left, not across the bottom - a Windows start bar across the bottom of the screen where there is only room for two or three readable items is a guaranteed signal that the user is a moron who can't visualise more than two tasks at the same time. Or, if you like to think of it this way, a natural-born Windows user.)

For this OS/2 coddled baby, 8 - 10 windows is ... well, I'd just as soon run DOS and be done with it. I almost never have less than 20 windows open on a Windows box, more commonly 30-40 and alt-tab is not much help. On my OS/2 boxes 50 or 60 tasks is routine.

Under OS/2, this is very managable via a superb old $10 shareware tool called Taskbar. It's the thing that the Windows taskbar is a very poor copy of. Amongst too many other nice features to mention, Taskbar sorts everything in Z-order. This is brilliant and I have never been able to understand why there is, to the best of my knowledge, no equivalent under Windows.

The great thing about Z-order sorting is that you always know where your applications are - the most recently used one is (assuming you have the bar on the left) about 1cm up from the bottom left corner of the screen, the second most recently used app is a half centimetre above that, and so on.

If you are switching between lots of apps, using groups of two or three, this just can't be beat. For example, I tend to use Mozilla for on-line banking, Quicken for accounts, and Quattro Pro for prices all at the same time. I flip back and forth between them eight or ten times whenever I balance the cheque book, which takes five minutes nearly every day. Then I leave them open, but start doing something else. I'll probably have a different set of apps open: Quattro again, plus PM Fax to read supplier price bulletins, plus Acrobat for more detailed price lists, and PMMail for emailed stuff. I flick back and forwards between them, probably between four different emails too, while I update our internal price list and decide who to order from today.

Then I have a quote to prepare: Quattro for the prices, Describe for the ten-page document that we give to people thinking about systems, and Word to type the quote itself in. Maybe they have faxed a query, so I'll want to refer to that as well.

Then at home I'm updating my web page: PMView to look at the illustrations with, two or three web browsers to see the working copy, EditPlus to make changes to the text with, maybe Quattro if I need performance calculations, another copy of PMView to look at an alternative illustration with (side-by side with the first copy - which is the better shot?), plus numerous other things at lower priority: a half-dozen windows for Storage Forum and SR, various other web pages, maybe the manufacturer's specs page, Google .... the list goes on.

What I'm trying to get at here is that I (and I'm sure this is equally true of most users) tend to use apps in "families" of three or four, switching contexts between these different "families" of tasks every now andf then. Only Taskbar lets my computer do this in a completely transparent and effortless way.

With Windows, even with the help of Toggle Minimise, I have to try to remember that my present foreground task, the job I'm mainly working on right now, is 17th from the top, and the two main associated tasks are numbers 14 and 3. Hopeless. With Taskbar, without my even having to think about it at all, they are #1 #2 and #3. Vastly more practical.

And, ohhhh, for a Windows version of it.

Err, did I answer your question Doug? I think not. Yup, it makes icons in your system tray, one for each minimized task. And yes, NRG, it's a pain trying to hit the right one with your mouse button sometimes, especially if you have been associating with our good Bartender too much.

Damn it! What the hell am I doing inside? Today is perfect.

(Don't start bloody proof-reading, Tea, just hit SUBMIT and come outside with me. Please?)

(OK.)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
To the best of my understanding, the utility minimizes an application to the left of the clock (system tray), so that it is out of the way. The reason you would want to do this is so that if you tons of different things open your task bar gets cluttered. If there are a couple things on the task bar that you never need to click on, but you want to keep open, the tray is a much better place to keep them than on the already cluttered task bar.

Tannin, why don't you make your task bar double or triple height? That way you can keep a lot more windows open and still tell what they are. Still there is no way that I know of to rearrange the order of things on the task bar. Unless you open everything in the correct order to begin with.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just hover the mouse over the top edge of the task bar until you see one of those dual arrow pointers and then click and drag up to the desired height.

Here is a picture of my taskbar:

taskbar.gif

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ohh. That's double width the way I think about it. Damn! I thoiught there was a real improvement to be had there. I thought you meant extending the taskbar so that it scrolls off the top of the screen (right-hand side of the screen if you have it horizontal). Of course, with no z-order sorting, that might be kind of useless.

Bloody Windows.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well that's simian logic for you. "Monkey see", doesn't always "monkey do". :D

James

Storage is cool
Tea said:
Ohh. That's double width the way I think about it. Damn! I thoiught there was a real improvement to be had there. I thought you meant extending the taskbar so that it scrolls off the top of the screen (right-hand side of the screen if you have it horizontal). Of course, with no z-order sorting, that might be kind of useless.
It's not z-ordering, but it does group programs by category :

http://www.hace.us-inc.com/texecute.shtml

... I don't know what it's like, but perhaps it's a start.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Doesn't WinXP allow you to group applications under one button in the taskbar? i.e. if you have 3 IE windows open it will put them all under one entry.

Though I find it to be annoying and confusing for most people, so I always disable it on people's systems when I install XP.

I won't run XP on my system until I absolutely have to. I still see no benefit to it over 2k, my favorite OS of all time.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Do a search for taskbar replacement on google. You will find many, many replacements...you could try them all until you find one that emulates what you are looking for. There has to be one that copied the Taskbar utility better than MS did.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Not to beat a dead horse but alt-tab does z-ordering. :lol: It is not much use if you have 30 of the same program open though.

The newest nvidia drivers allow you to run multiple desktops. For linux fans, it works just like ctrl-alt-F#. At least it work this way for my 2MX400.

NRG = mc², are you opposed to running genome as a service?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
Our Bartender has been on steroids lately. More productive than even Doug.

Don't forget that the Bartender is also Storageforum_net and StorageForum_net. One account is dormant, since it was mistakenly entered.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
OK, dont know why I didnt think of this before, but now managed to install as a service on my XP box. I'll have to restart it and check that everything is OK, and then if so, install it on the P3-733, and tommorow I'll get a Celeron 1.2@1.46 in the game, next week, Duron 1000 and some other boxes later on. Perhaps I can convince my other flatmate to stop saying "my CPU power is mine" (Celeron 1.2 on Asus Terminator)and get him running this too. Actually its not a big deal anyway because the only time his machine is on is when he's playing games so its not even worth the bother. Its also seldom connected to the net (the hub is one port short so one of us has to swap cables from time to time, the rare times he's not plaing games on it.)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
NRG,

I'd like to get your impression of the Duron vs Celeron. I have a Duron 800 (that will be leaving the pack on Friday) that seems slow compared to a PIII 933EB and a PIII 667EB.

BR

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Not to beat a dead horse but alt-tab does z-ordering. :lol: It is not much use if you have 30 of the same program open though.

The newest nvidia drivers allow you to run multiple desktops. For linux fans, it works just like ctrl-alt-F#. At least it work this way for my 2MX400.

NRG = mc², are you opposed to running genome as a service?

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Buck said:
NRG,

I'd like to get your impression of the Duron vs Celeron. I have a Duron 800 (that will be leaving the pack on Friday) that seems slow compared to a PIII 933EB and a PIII 667EB.

BR

You want benchmarks or? I remember when we benchmarked a Duron 1000 with DDR memory and MSI K7T266 Pro 2 (not the duron that will be used for G@H, someone else's), they were mostly on par with eachother (Celeron 1.2@1.3 at the time) in most things (Superpi, Povray and Mathmark IIRC)

If you want any more info I can run benchmarks with the celeron at 1.46 and the duron 1000 with sdram (Asus TUV4X and MSI KT133A based board...)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry, I meant the post above the one I quoted. The one about alt-tab does z-ordering. there's a double post about 12 hours apart :eek:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The Duron 800 system I had crunching for a few days is being delivered in a few hours. An XP 1600+ could be leaving in a few days. So, I brought an Athlon Thunderbird 1400C online to help. This should the usual three dual systems I have running at present. When I get the motherboard and CPU from Groltz, I hope to bring that online for a bit.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Uhhh, does anyone have a port 80->10100 proxy? Up and running ? I'm behind a firewall at work, and can only get out by port 80.

Until they get a new client that supports using that port for communication, my laptop at work can only sit idle :(

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe http proxy support will be included in ver 2.0 of the client (just around the corner they say). Many people are waiting to start up their office fleets when that is implemented.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Of course the solution if you have a laptop is simple. When you take it home, get it to download a unit. Then run with the Run off network option (-nonet) whilst at work, it will rerun the unit with a diff variation, and won't need to connect to the Net.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Timwhit, I notice you're running the GUI of seti, how come you're not using the CMD version? Its much faster and lets you use programs such as Seti Driver which lets you do all sorts of stuff like queueing units, user defined processes for SMP and such.

If only something like this existed for Seti Driver then it would make it much more interesting.

Anyone who can program intereted in developing something?

sdriver.png

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't really care that much. I tried the command line version awhile ago and it didn't make a difference.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Thanks for the advice!

I've put a friends 500MHz Celeron box to work, and another computer which CPU speed I don't know yet, need to check it out (1GHz I think).

So using the following computer at the moment:
XP1800
P2 333MHz
Celeron 500MHz
~1GHz

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Didn't see any difference?? Used to take 9 hours on my old Athlon t-bird 1000@1333, swapping to CMD took it down to 5:15 or so.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm glad to see JoJo computing as many units as myself and Kevin. We are now doing more than 6000 units/week, very impressive for a relatively small team like ours.

Bartender, when will your systems be picked up by your customers? I'm starting to worry about my #2 spot :roll: Just joking, it's great that you can offer us that much computing power.

Doug, is one of your system down? You have slowed down since a few days. Still having problems with the Linux client?

BTW, my second box is doing quite a competition to PeeWee in the lower section of the stats page. Will P.W. let himself be beaten by a secretary (the person who uses that system)? :lol:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
CougTek said:
BTW, my second box is doing quite a competition to PeeWee in the lower section of the stats page. Will P.W. let himself be beaten by a secretary (the person who uses that system)? :lol:
Man, LOL, glad you said that (and kudos to energy who ICQed me the thread to my attention...):
I'M GONNA LET IT ALL NIGHT CRUNCHING TONIGHT HONEY! :p :p