Beverages

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I'm starting this thread so that if anyone wishes, they can give some good or bad experience with a certain drink - alcoholic or not. As usual, I'll start the conversation about this subject without hijacking anyone elses thread, and I'm assuming that either Buck or I will continue this thread as everyone else around seems level headed enough not to drink a great deal.

So, I was at one of my favorite supply house and picked up a sample of Glenmorangie Scotch. This is a Ten Year old Single Highland Malt Scotch and tasted quite good. I'm not particular to a Scotch being of a blended or single malt nature. The taste was slightly spicy and the aftertaste was smooth and short (similar to a blended Scotch). I think this should enter our collection of beverages at the bar.

My next taste is of a brand called: Old St. Andrews Clubhouse Blend. I'll let you know.

This thread can benefit from everyone's opinion, so whether you're a lady or lad and fancy any type of drink, let us know.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Handruin said:
Bartender said:
Mercutio said:
I like Minute Maid Citrus Punch. Or pretty much any fruit juice. Particularly pineapple. :)

Have you ever had a Mai Tai Mercutio?

I have, it isn't so bad.

It isn't so bad? You say that with such a lack of conviction. Mai Tai's are fantastic (of course you could have had a crummy one at the wrong establishment). Let me make you one. :)

Handruin

Administrator
Bartender said:
Handruin said:
Bartender said:
Mercutio said:
I like Minute Maid Citrus Punch. Or pretty much any fruit juice. Particularly pineapple. :)

Have you ever had a Mai Tai Mercutio?

I have, it isn't so bad.

It isn't so bad? You say that with such a lack of conviction. Mai Tai's are fantastic (of course you could have had a crummy one at the wrong establishment). Let me make you one. :)

I would like them if I didn't task the alcohol. Perhaps it was an amateur bartender who prepared it. My opinion is worth squat when judging drinks, as I don't often, if ever drink. I've only had the one Mai Tai, and I may try another some day.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Understood Handruin. I hope that someday you and your girlfriend can visit Hawaii and sample (amongst other precious things) a good Mai Tai. You'll have one and be suprised that they don't see popsicles flavored like this. Then, after the second or third you'll realize why they don't. But then at that point, it doesn't really matter.

Handruin

Administrator
Bartender said:
Understood Handruin. I hope that someday you and your girlfriend can visit Hawaii and sample (amongst other precious things) a good Mai Tai. You'll have one and be suprised that they don't see popsicles flavored like this. Then, after the second or third you'll realize why they don't. But then at that point, it doesn't really matter.

I would like to visit Hawaii some day, but the drive would be impossible, I really don't like planes very much. Maybe I should try and get drunk before flying so that I don't remember. Hard to imagine, but I've never been drunk in my life...I have no need to hide from reality I guess.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Handruin said:
I would like to visit Hawaii some day, but the drive would be impossible, I really don't like planes very much. Maybe I should try and get drunk before flying so that I don't remember. Hard to imagine, but I've never been drunk in my life...I have no need to hide from reality I guess.

Row, Row, Row your boat gently down the stream. Merrily, Merrily, Merrily, Merrily life is but a dream...

The song just kept comming after your statement and wouldn't go away.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
No need for that Handruin. If one or two drinks doesn't make flying easier without getting you drunk, then it is not worth going. Drive to Key West instead, have some good Rum Punch; eat some nice fried conch fritters and listen to some Soca Music, and you are somewhere else.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Bartender said:
"I'm starting this thread so that if anyone wishes, they can give some good or bad experience with a certain drink - alcoholic or not"

"...This thread can benefit from everyone's opinion, so whether you're a lady or lad and fancy any type of drink, let us know..."

OK. I have read and understood those parts. Now where does it say: "...And allow me to heap scorn and ridicule upon your responses if I deign to do so..." ??? I must have missed that somewhere.

Bartender said:
Fantastic, a French water lover. That stuff has about as many minerals and other substances (naturally occuring of course) then some hard liquors.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Scorn and ridicule? Wow, such harsh words. Why would any type of water that I personally reckon to have liquor type qualities be considered scorn or ridicule? Likewise, why would a water that I've been able to determine has come from France and been distributed through Connecticut (a state which I hold dearly) be considered negative?

Ah, the virtual world, typed words, but no true interaction. My apologies for any misunderstanding that I created.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My drink of choice is Miller Lite. If I can afford it, I will get a 6 pack of Rolling Rock. I'm not a big fan of mixed drinks, but if the opportunity presents itself I enjoy a good long island ice tea. However, if it isn't made right it can really taste like crap.

If I am going to take a shot, then my first choice would be peppermint schnapps. Last choice would be extra dry gin (worst shot i have ever taken in my life). Whisky is bad too, not as bad as gin though.

Damn, this thread is making me thirsty (except the gin, ewww).

BTW, fruity drinks are for girls :)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
One tip...don't but Special Export light, it takes like crap. If you want extra cheap beer get some Milwaukee's Best Light, we call it the beast. Doesn't taste good out of a can, but it is good out of a keg (well at least it goes down like water). Are you listening Bartender?

Does anyone else here drink beer?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sorry but I'm a tee-totaler. In this thread I'm next to useless. I haven't had any spirits since my 21st bithday 25 years ago. I'm a diet caffeine free Coke/Pepsi man with an occasional Milkshake, or Neslee's Quick (goes well with chocolate chip cookies)

Stereodude

Not really a
I hear Mark also likes Gillette Edge shaving gel. Apparently it tastes quite refreshing after a hard day of posting of SF.

Stereodude

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Stereodude said:
I hear Mark also likes Gillette Edge shaving gel. Apparently it tastes quite refreshing after a hard day of posting of SF.

Stereodude

Gotta do something with those unused personal hygene products, since they don't seem to do much for my beard. PS. the gel is almost as good as injesting Vick's Vapor Rub.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Like Mark, I probably drink more milk than most adults, too, although I'm partial to the Strawberry-flavored Nestle powder in mine. :)

Tea is good too, particularly the peppermint or citrus kind. Or sun-brewed iced tea with some lime in it. That's always good.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i used to be a quite a drinker until i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the start of this year and had to give it all up :( the reality is that it's a good thing i had to give up alcohol as i drank way to much.

mostly i drank bourbon and more often than not jack daniels. it's a fine bourbon for the money. for a real bourbon though i'd have a basil haydens or anthing from rock hill.

i was also loved my beers.

my faves were:
coopers vintage ale - aus
little creatures pale ale - aus
stone imperial russian stout - us
verboden vrucht - belgium

my favourite light beer:
piss weak - aus. i kid you not, that's its name and it's a beaut light beer.

as for wine, i like that too! i have a collection of about 300 bottles ranging from basic reds to a couple of granges. merlots and merlot blends are my favourites although a deep rich shiraz never goes astray and late last year i started to get into some interesting nebiollos from around the worlds. btw, for those of you that haven't heard of grange, it's by far australia best wine and is often rates as one of the world's top 5 wines.

now that i drink very little, i find myself occasionally sipping jamiesons irish whiskey which is a nice, smooth and simple.

simonstre

What is this storage?
Beer: Trois Pistoles (Quebec)
Red wine: St-Emillon (France)
White wine: Aufkellerein (Germany)
Bourbon: Jack Daniels (USA)
Mixed drink: Uppercut (½ Amaretto, ½ Southern Comfort with orange juice)

My worst experience was with Smirnoff Ice... It's a mixed drink with Vodka, very sweet. Too sweet, in facts... I had 4 or 5 in a party, and the next morning I was sick. I've been down for the hole day, not able to do anything but to crawl to the W.C.!
I usually drink Milwaukee's Best Dry... Doesn't taste too bad and affordable. But I really prefer Trois Pistoles... It tastes like McEwans, from Scotland.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Look, put your health first and send your wine to me. I'll look after it, and you'll feel much better. Trust me.

AFAIK, Penfolds Grange (Hermitage) starts at about US$150 for the most recent vintage, with the most desirable vintages reaching US$25,000.

I've had the first two beers on your list (and yes, they're excellent), and a few Belgian beers, but I've never heard of Stone Imperial Russian! The US origin naturally puts me off - what other more common stouts does it remind you of?

I used to drink Irish whiskey too, once upon a time. But these days it's Chivas Regal and any single malts when I can afford them.

But I like lots of different drinks, provided they aren't sweet. I can't stand sweet drinks, so most modern softdrinks make me gag. We have a few liqueurs here that I just never feel like anymore for that reason, even though I used to enjoy them a lot:

Benedictine (the king of liqueurs)
Drambuie
Lochanora
Kahlua

I love coffee more than is good for me, and tried to give it up a while ago. I used to have about 3 soup mugs a day, each made from about 2½ scoops of 100% Arabica coffee (which has the most caffeine).

The nightly palpitations were starting to worry me.

I'm down to 2 regular mugs from 1½ scoops each, but my aim is 1 mug from 1 scoop, something I achieved for a while. Next month, perhaps.

I don't mess about with grinding any more, 'cause I can get luscious Lavazza, which is very good stuff indeed.

I can't stand tea. (Sorry Tea, nothing personal). It doesn't smell like coffee and reminds me of cats, or something. When confronted with no alternative, I have actually drunk sugar and hot water instead.

Worst drink I can think of recently would have to be Mylanta antacid liquid with the "new improved flavour". The old Mylanta was bracing, but the new tastes and smells like vomit. If you're lucky, maybe they're trialling it in Oz and it'll never make it to the states.

simonstre

What is this storage?
Have you tried the Fax? It's a good one, but you gotta be very thirsty... If your a coffee lover, than try to put in one of those: Amaretto, Kalua, Tia Maria. They're all good add-on :)

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I drink water and fruit juices 98% of the time. I never drink coffee and I drink tea about as often as alchohol. The caffeen puts me to sleep and coffee tastes like burnt garbage, no offence. I only drink alchohol once every couple months and only one or two drinks then with a meal.

At the pub, I prefer something fruity: whisky sour, screwdriver, bloody mary, something I can't remember with lime and grenadine but similar to a wiskey sour.

A new beer that's grown on me is Newcastle Brown Ale. Anybody had it?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Good:
James Boags Premium Lager
Gin and tonic - usally Gordons
Wild Turkey and coke
Bacardi and coke
Margaritas

Bad:
Way too much vodka and orange on a plane trip once. Woke up and I was in Singapore airport. Not a good way to travel, tho I did sleep like a baby after filling a few bags.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
time said:
I can't stand tea. (Sorry Tea, nothing personal). It doesn't smell like coffee and reminds me of cats, or something. When confronted with no alternative, I have actually drunk sugar and hot water instead.

Two strikes against me: I love tea (be sure to note the lower case) and I have a cat. :)

A new beer that's grown on me is Newcastle Brown Ale. Anybody had it?

Probably my very favorite beer (on the occasion that I drink one). Has a very nice flavor and goes down like soda pop.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
P5-133XL said:
I'm a diet caffeine free Coke/Pepsi man with an occasional Milkshake, or Neslee's Quick (goes well with chocolate chip cookies)
Another vote for CFDC. In my younger days I was a Coke-aholic but eventually switched to diet. Elixir of the Gods that it was, I greatly reduced my caffiene intake & switched to CFDC.

Otherwise, I drink 1-3 mugs of coffee a day. We grind our own mostly using the Eight O-Clock brand. Pretty decent stuff. Right now we're using the 1/2-caff blend. At the office, where coffee seems to consist of ground up tree bark, I may occasionally have a cup or two if in need of a pickup. Regardless, a little cream & sugar (well, Equal sweetener) are desired to overcome the inherent bitterness.

Water .. filtered tap water from the new fridge has almost eliminated our need for bottled water, which saves us some money. For bottled water we vastly prefer Dannon brand as it has a cleaner taste than most of the other commonly found brands. Surprisingly, Meijer brand drinking water is also better than one would guess for a store brand.

Crystal Light lemonade as it has like 5 calories & 0 carbs .. great for those on a low-carb diet.

Orange juice is fantastic and most cranapple-other juice blends are pretty decent.

Tea .. there's some blend from India a co-worker drinks. It's not bad but would never become a favorite. Regular tea is tolerable but not the best. The best hot tea for me is a fine Japanese green tea made with roasted rice as it give a nice nutty flavor. I can't stand ice tea of any type.

Alcohol-wise, I'm not much of a drinker. I can't stand cheap champagne and have only found a couple of decent brands that I can tolerate. G.H. Mumm is my 'favorite'. Can't stand beer or wine. Really, alcohol itself tastes nasty so any drink that masks the alcohol is welcome.

- Fushigi

Sol

Storage is cool
WODKA!
There is nothing quite like a vodka martini followed up by a couple of vodka squash to round off an evening.
Well nothing outside of a NASA fuel dump anyway.

Other than that I'm a big fan of Don Pedro's. Basically it's a Kaluha thickshake with a dash of whisky. Fantastic stuff.
The good old Midori ilussion shaker is a good standby as well if you cn be bothered getting the contents together.
I don't go out much so I don't need to drink whats cheep. Probably why I can't stand more than one or two beers.

Worst drinking experience? Red wine(cheep... Very cheep).... Vodka and Red eye(a so called "energy" (read cafine) drink), cigarettes(the one and only time I've smoked them)... Well I don't need to go on. Very bad the next morning, and the next afternoon. Very ugly, not to be repeated.

OT: Polizei

What is this storage?
jm1.gif

JSF

What is this storage?
If I knew nothing about the contributors to this thread I could guess from your responses that most of you who drink alcoholic beverages are in your 20's. As you age, you discover that hangovers recede as you remove sugar from your alcoholic beverages. With this discovery you also develop a taste for good unadulterated spirits. You discover that lowering the temperature of spirits decreases their taste, so even cheap, harsh spirits can be palatable. This especially is true for vodka stored in a freezer. Those who don't know how to mix a good martini will swear the the gin should be stored in the freezer.

My favorite cocktail is a martini (Beefeater or Sapphire gin) with lemon twist, standing tall. The infusion of lemon oil spritz from the twist imparts a most delicate and delicious flavor and fragrance. The secret of a good martini is in the water dilution. On very cold ice it must sit longer before serving, and on ice at its melting point you must be careful that you don't over-dilute it. A Martini on the rocks is a desecration of a classic cocktail. It starts out tasting harsh, and ends up watery. Vodka martinis are for neophytes who haven't acquired a taste for gin.

My favorite party drink is scotch on ice with water or soda. I enjoy the flavor of scotch and can drink many of them without suffering a hangover or early intoxication. Personally, I do not care for the cloying flavor of Canadian or American whiskey.

I regularly enjoy red and white wine while dining and, calorically speaking, drink too much of it. Because of the volume consumed I do not drink expensive wine, but would prefer to do so. I usually drink French or Italian wine, finding better value in these than in California wine. I wish that the US government would remove its requirement for sulphite additives. Such wines often give me headaches but European or homemade wines without sulphites, do not. Unfortunately, the ability of wine to travel may be impacted by the absence of sulphites, but I would be willing to drink only regional wines to avoid them.

I love any VSOP cognac! I can't afford XO. Sipping warmed cognac after a fine meal while conversing with friends is a special experience.

My favorite liqueur is Absenthe because of its minimal sweetness. But sweet liquers can be delicious. I especially injoy anise flavored liquers and Italian Maraschino (pronounced 'maraskino'). The latter is delicious in Italian style fruit salad. I like vanilla ice cream with Chambord or Grand Marnier, and I like many other classic desserts with liqueur additives.

My favorite beer is German Pilsener, especially those that can produce a head of ultra fine bubbles. I much prefer the quality of Canadian or Mexican beers to most American beer. Lite beers are junk beverages!

Although I enjoy fruit juices, with my metabolism all fruit juices instantly enter my blood stream, creating excess insulin and the resulting storage of fat. So I now eat only whole fruit to slow down the digestive process.

For drinking water, a Reverse Osmosis home system is the way to go. Such water is delicious and its ice is crystal clear and clean tasting---great for making martinis. When I travel by automobile I carry a cooler filled with Perrier water.

May your drinking experiences be as enjoyable as mine! Joe.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Does anyone else here drink beer?

Yes, Amstel and Stella Artois almost exclusively

Like Mark, I probably drink more milk than most adults, too

Bleh. I could never drink milk straight up. I mean, the entire idea of drinking milk from a cow puts me off. That said, I wouldn't take to human milk any easier. I don't mind yoghurt or cheese though. <shrugs>

My worst experience was with Smirnoff Ice...

I don't find it that bad, actually. Whiskey or gin are far worse alternatives. Tia Maria, as someone mentioned is great.

Worst drinking experience? Red wine(cheep... Very cheep).... Vodka and Red eye(a so called "energy" (read cafine) drink),

They call it red eye over there? Unless I've misunderstood, we call it Red Bll over here. i is absolutely rank, even more so with vodka. Yo realise what this (is claimed) to contain (apart from caffeine of course)?