Beverages

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Looking at the last paragraph, I've managed to leave out quite a few letters. Here goes again.

They call it red eye over there? Unless I've misunderstood, we call it Red Bull over here. It is absolutely rank, even more so with vodka. You realise what this (is claimed) to contain (apart from caffeine of course)?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Depending on the occasion, my drink of choice will change. Nevertheless, when all is said and done, my favorite alcoholic beverage is Bourbon (usually with ice and possibly a touch of water). There are several brands that I enjoy and a great deal that I have yet to try. My absolute favorite Bourbon at this time is Bakers (as some may have noticed), although it’s brother: Knob Creek is nearly as good, and the other sibling: Bookers, is equally as tasty, just too high of an alcohol content for me to consume much of. Basil Hayden is in the same family and is a good Bourbon, but not at the top of my list. Elijah Craig 10 year old Bourbon is also very good and I would rank it near the top of my list.

Besides Bourbon, I enjoy Scotch and Rum. My taste for Scotch is still developing, but the process has been enjoyable. I would love to take a vacation where I would visit a variety of Scotch distilleries in Scotland and do a little taste testing. Like Bourbon, I prefer to drink Scotch on the rocks, with a bit of water mixed in. As for Rum, Hana Bay, Mount Gay, and Whalers are my favorite, and I’m not a fan of spiced rum. For me, rum tastes the best in a Rum and Coke, although the occasional fruity boat drink is pleasant too.

There are other distilled beverages that I like, such as Jaegermeister, Bonne Kamp, Bauer Obstler, Gin (with a tonic, or Collins mixer added), and other varieties.

Outside the realm of hard liquor, I enjoy beer. There are a variety of beers that I like from all around the world. I have no single preference to dark or light beer, it just depends what I’m in the mood for at the time.

Although alcoholic beverages are tasty, the beverage that I drink most often is water (from the faucet). I enjoy a cup of tea or coffee during the day, but it is usually water that I drink. Water is also important for me to keep around when drinking alcohol so that I don’t overwhelm myself and become drunk.

Sol

Storage is cool
NRG = mc² said:
They call it red eye over there? Unless I've misunderstood, we call it Red Bull over here. It is absolutely rank, even more so with vodka.

Actually red eye and red bull are two different drinks. I think red eye is australian made so that, and your clear distain for all its ilk, would explain you having never heard of it. Red eye isn't nearly as bad as red bull (taste wise) and contains less cafine and other, for lack of a better word(that wouldn't offend anyone), stuff.
With vodka it tastes exectly the same as without, give or take a slight aftertaste, and when all's said and done that's about all you can ask of any mixer.:)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The Elijah Craig Bourbon that I have is 18-year old, not 10.

I tried a couple of Scotch beers, one is call Fraoch and the other is Scotch Silly (both are ales). Fraoch Heather Ale has been made in Scotland since 2000 BCE (or at least this Celtic recipe has been used for that long) and has Heather flowers added to it. It is a very smooth, easy-to-drink beer, with a slight fruity after taste, almost like a dry-white wine. The Scotch Silly Ale didn’t fair so well with me, it has a sweet and spicy taste that just doesn’t make for easy drinking.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
So, I tried an English beer: Olde Sullfolk English Ale. Typical tasting ale (I'm sure the Brewmaster wouldn't want to hear that) with a deep rich color and a refreshing taste. This is a blended ale, they mix ale that has matured for 2 years (OLD 5X) with new ale (BPA) to get their taste. As they say, this gives the beer a "perfect blend of age and life".

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
My wife adores Pyramid Apricot Ale. She certainly doesn't have to worry about me filching her supply of them...Bleah :eekers:

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Soft Drink: Ginger Ale (about 80% of my beverage consumption)
Caffeinated: Starbucks Caramel Frappucino with extra shot of espresso
Coolers: Mike's Hard Cranberry, Smirnoff Ice
Shooter: vodka, kahlua, and bailey's irish cream (whatever that's called... Bartender, do you know?)
Beers: Rickard's Red, Labatt Blue, Big Rock Traditional

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
My own bottle of 60% (alcohol/volume) is empty. :(
(Stroh)

Bartender, pass me a drink with some rum and 1 icecube please!
Preferably Stroh.

The most disturbing thing (considering my stomach and it's growth) is that I'm beginning to like beer. One or two English ones, and one Finnish one. Never been much of a beer fella anyway, so the change in taste is...disturbing.

I've liked cider more.

Over and... to bed...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
JoJo, don't be disturbed by your new taste for beer. As we age our taste changes.

Thanks for mentioning Stroh Rum. It is availale in 4 ranges of alcohol content (40%, 54%, 60%, and 80%). When I get a chance, I will certainly give this variety a try. Thanks again.

http://www.strohrum.com

Presently their website is only available in German as it is in a test phase.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
What do you use to make it Tea? I've tried hot chocolate as a substitute for coffee, but haven't been able to find good 'ingredients'.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The simplest one is probably the best: plain old Cadbury Drinking Chocolate. In a normal sized cup, one largish teaspoon of drinking chocolate, a little sugar (one spoon is enough for me) and a generous dash of milk. It's best to slip the result into the microwave for a few moments to bring it back up to correct drinking temperature. For some reason, hot chocolate seems to be always a lot colder than any other hot drink. I have no idea why - I mean it seems to be more than I can account for by the extra milk.

When I was little, we always used to say that "cocoa with frof on top", as we called it, tasted better. To make that, you need to mix the chocolate, sugar and milk first. Grind it into a smooth paste with the spoon (it takes a minute or so to do properly) and don't add any more milk than you need to untill it's mixed in. Pour the water in last. You should get a nice foaming head. (Does it really taste better? Guess you'll have to try it for yourself.)

Another alternative is the rather expensive Cadbury Hi-Lites mix. That has extra sugar and (I guess) milk powder in it already and makes a great tasting cuppa, but it's a little artificial and one gets tired of it after a while.

Then, as I'm sure the Bartender wil inform us, there are the real hot chocolate drinks, which all seem to come from Germany or Austria or Switzerland. Are they worth the money? Guess I'd better try some again and get back to you on that. If, that is, Kristi and the Soup_Nazi leave me any at all. They are absolute demons for hot chocolate!

Kristi adds that you need to switch the usual proportions of water and milk if you are making it with Cadbury driking chocolate, then microwave it. I'd listen to her if I were you - she is a real expert.

:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Starbucks, in the US, does a very good hot chocolate. One of the cheapest things on their menu, too. I've been told more than once that no one in the store actually knows how to make one - I guess nobody orders them.

Real hot chocolate is a vastly different thing from hot cocoa, which is the powdery crap they sell in grocery stores here. Blah. Better to do it myself, much as the Ballaratians (is that right?) do. I don't add sugar to mine, though.

Marshmallows are gross in any form. :p

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Even though I disdain Starbucks I will go there on occasion to get a Chai. Either hot or iced (depending on the temperature outside).

Chai is a weird tasting drink and seems to be an acquired taste given the reactions I've noted from friends that I've had try it. Still, it is the one thing that will get me in to one of their stores.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Groltz said:
Even though I disdain Starbucks I will go there on occasion to get a Chai. Either hot or iced (depending on the temperature outside).

Chai is a weird tasting drink and seems to be an acquired taste given the reactions I've noted from friends that I've had try it. Still, it is the one thing that will get me in to one of their stores.

Yes, Chai. It tastes like pumpkin pie. We do not have Starbucks around here. I tried it last winter and order nothing else now.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I started drinking coffee this summer because I have to be able to stay awake at work. I get it at a local bakery every morning. 1 16 oz cup with sugar. I tried to make my own but it tasted like crap, so I think I will just pay the dollar for something that I know will taste better.

The only problem is that I don't think that I can stop drinking it now.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Cliptin said:
We do not have Starbucks around here.

Cliptin, my coffee-house challenged friend, we DO have a Starbucks. It's inside Barnes and Noble. However, I'm not sure that it is a full-service, full menu place. I've never had Chai...have to try it out...what is it exactly?

JSF

What is this storage?
I used to be a heavy coffee drinker---10 or more cups of regular coffee in a day. I had my own coffee maker at work so I could avoid the swill dispensed by coffee machines.

During my first visit to Italy in 1986 I was exposed to espresso style of coffee. I particularly liked cappuccino and espresso with a shot of grappa. Since that trip my first action in the morning is to make a double cup of cappuccino. Rarely do I have any more coffee in the day.

I first used the simple steamer type of espresso maker. To add temperature control to the dispensing of espresso and cappuccino froth I moved to the steamer with a built-in pump. Finally, to speed up the dispensing of cappuccino to a large dinner group I graduated to my present Saeco unit which contains a built-in coffee grinder, and it automatically dumps used coffee grounds. The unit also is a breeze to clean.

I prefer the stronger flavour of French roast coffee beans for making espresso. A few years ago a friend gave me a case of Starbucks' espresso style coffee. I found the taste to be too mild, but being frugal, I used up the case while anxiously awaiting the day I could return to my French roast.

For my taste, Starbucks uses too little coffee, uses too mild of a coffee, and charges too much for a non-satisfying drink. Flavoured coffees turn me off. I especially dislike the oversweet smell emanating from stores in the Mall which feature such coffees.

slo crostic

I've been brewing my own beer for about 5 years now and have made some beautiful lagers, ales and stouts. The trick to making seriously nice homebrew is nice fresh hops, for a fine aroma.
Most beers on the market taste too 'unnatural' for me, except for the expensive ones (always the way). The best Australian beers are made by Cooper's. As far as I know they are the only Brewery in Australia that bottle ferment their beers. Sparkling Ale, Pale Ale, or Cooper's Vintage (if you can get hold of it). They also make a hearty stout. Stella Arois would have to be the best imported beer, followed closely by Grolsch, and I am quite partial to a pint of Guiness. The only good American beer I've tried is Samuel Adams.
I've had a few tries at distillation, but am yet to produce a clean enough spirit, so it's back to my favourite vodka, Absolut. :p
Red wine is something I thought I'd never drink, but I now really enjoy, mmm.... Shiraz and steak mmmm.....
As for the non-alcoholic beverages I do drink a lot of tea, Twinings Earl Grey. I believe they are the only one's that actually put the Bergamot leaves in with the tea, rather than just infuse it with oil. I usually have one cup of coffee a day too, any coffee will do.
I think that covers it, except I should drink more water than I do (note to self)

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I do drink a lot of tea, Twinings Earl Grey

One of my favorite morning teas, along with Twinings Irish Breakfast...I usually drink a good green tea or Oolong after lunch. I bought some smoked Oolong tea that had a very unique but tasty flavor.

The only good American beer I've tried is Samuel Adams

Not fond of Sammy...in fact, I don't think I really like any American beers, and I live here! :)

My current favorite beers: Newcastle Brown Ale, Guinness, Bass

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have not experienced Oolong tea yet. I will have to give that a try. Usually I drink Tetley, or the occassional PG Tips, when it comes to tea. When it comes to coffee, I'm not terribly picky.
-----------
Slo, your brewery sounds like a winner. How long do your Stouts last (if you actually let them age)?

slo crostic

never long enough, because it tastes so good. Although I have managed to keep a few bottles of stout for about 12 months, and they were beautiful.
I need to start brewing more so I can get a stock pile built up.

slo crostic

Just wondering if anyone has had Absinthe before. I've always wanted to try it but it's about $300 US a bottle on import, and I don't want to spend $500 AU to find out I don't like it. Have read a few reports on the net, and the reasons why it was banned in most countries, but I'm still curious to try it.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
slo crostic said:
Just wondering if anyone has had Absinthe before. I've always wanted to try it but it's about $300 US a bottle on import, and I don't want to spend $500 AU to find out I don't like it. Have read a few reports on the net, and the reasons why it was banned in most countries, but I'm still curious to try it.

No Slo, I have not tried it. For that price, I'll by myself several bottles of by my favorite Scotch or Bourbon.

slo crostic

Bartender, you must have a try of this one (that is, if you can get your hands on a bottle).
I believe this is the best beer in Australia and I think a lot of other people do too...........

Quote: "Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale, which retailed last year at $50 a case, is now being offered for sale at $500. The beer, which its brewers claim improves with age, is being eagerly sought by collectors.
At the current asking price, the vintage ale has earned a 1000 per cent return in just eight months."

I knew i should've bought a dozen cases when it was first released :( [/b]

GIANT

slo crostic said:
...The only good American beer I've tried is Samuel Adams...

Samuel Adams is an "OK" commercial beer. There are definitely much better beers and ales available in certain US locales. A slightly better "local" commercial ale available here is Shiner Bock, made in Shiner, Texas by ex-Slovaks.

bockf.gif
http://www.shiner.com/

Another one would be Celis Gran Cru or their strawberry ale, which are Belgian ales brewed in Austin, Texas by ex-Belgians. Nowadays, they actually export a lot of their output back to Belgium.

But, my overall favourites are now from a nearby brewery. I somehow had missed these and finally discovered them a couple of years ago (and, by the way, WAY better than Samuel Adams).

brown.gif
stout.gif
weizen.gif
amber.gif

http://www.saintarnold.com/products/profiles/index.html

slo crostic

They look like some mighty tasty beers there GIANT, looks like I'll have to get over to America one day and do a microbrewery tour as none of these beers seem to be available in Australia. Of course I'd also have to visit the Jack Daniel's distillery while I was there too..........mmmmm, Jack :mrgrn: