XP SP3: What's The Word?

Piyono

Storage is cool
Anyone had any particularly nasty experiences deploying XP SP3?
I haven't rolled this one out yet so I figured I'd poll for opinions.

]-[

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have installed it on a few computers without any problems.
But, YMMV

Bozo :joker:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
There were/are issues with a few specific AMD-based systems, but it appears to affect a fairly small minority of people.

I rebuilt my wife's PC to get rid of some flakiness (it was never the same after getting jolted with some static) and put SP3 on the rebuild. No problems so far although the build is only about a week old. The rebuild is all-new hardware. No problem with any apps, including the HP all-in-one software (PSC-1610).

ddrueding

Fixture
Some clients have installed it on their own systems without issue. I'm still holding off on an official rollout for another week or so.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Symantic/Norton had a big mess with corrupted registry stuff something or other so I heard. Had to apply a patch before you did SP3, course you only find out about it after.

Personally I had zero issues so far on personal machines but still holding off on the corporate machine as we use Symantec corp AV.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
No issues here. Installed it on my new Thinkpad R61 and my father-in-laws C2D machine..

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Symantic/Norton had a big mess with corrupted registry stuff something or other so I heard. Had to apply a patch before you did SP3, course you only find out about it after.

Personally I had zero issues so far on personal machines but still holding off on the corporate machine as we use Symantec corp AV.

I have installed it on 6 computers at work. All are running Symantec Antivirus Corp edition v 10.0.2. No problems that I am aware of.

Bozo :joker:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is there any real need to update PS2 to SP3? How much extra space used on the C: partition afterwards?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No problems at this end. The "AMD problem" turns out to be a classic bit of FUD and Blame the Victim. Nothing to do with AMD, everything to do with shonky practices by a couple of vomit box makers. What happened was the VB makers - Dell and HP/Compaq from memory, but I'm too lazy to check so it may have been some other VBMs - were too lazy to prepare a new image for all their new systems. They had discovered that theyu could get away with loading Intel drivers for everything and overlaying the AMD drivers on top of the Intel ones. That didn't seem to break anything, and they couldn't care less about bloat or performance, so they did it the shonky way - wxactly as you'd expect from these twin champions of shonk.

Then SP3 came along and upgraded the Intel driver (that shouldn't ever have been on the machine in the first place) and broke the system.

Short answer: just more vomit box shonk. Situation normal.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Starting to deploy it on our boxes, and no issues so far. (And our boxes run the MS RMS Software that caused SP3 to be revoked, and then re-released)!

So far have installed it on 13 boxes without major problems. The only issue we've had is with TrendMicro PC-Cillin 2008 and if the scan engine was below a certain version.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Houston, we have a problem.

What's the go with networked folders under SP3? The bloody thing has morphed into a Vista clone! Whenever I try to copy or move files over the network using drag & drop, it pops up a really anoying "Internet Explorer: do you want to copy ormove files from this zone?" prompt, which I have to deal with before I'm allowed to do anything. Pisses me off. It's my bloody network and I'll copy files from one machine to another if I want to.

Anyone know how to turn this crap off?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Houston, we have a problem.

What's the go with networked folders under SP3? The bloody thing has morphed into a Vista clone! Whenever I try to copy or move files over the network using drag & drop, it pops up a really anoying "Internet Explorer: do you want to copy ormove files from this zone?" prompt, which I have to deal with before I'm allowed to do anything. Pisses me off. It's my bloody network and I'll copy files from one machine to another if I want to.

Anyone know how to turn this crap off?

I've noticed a bunch of other security prompts that I'm pretty sure were never around before the update. I can't remember what they were to be honest, but I remember thinking the same thing: they're trying to turn XP into Vista!

One example I do recall is that Quickbooks registration would also fail silently unless you were logged in as an administrator. (I installed the software as an Admin, and then left registration to the user). I'm 99% sure this didn't happen with the previous version of XP.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmmm ... Quickbooks failing to install isn't a bug, it's a feature. Pity they didn't introduce that one 10 years ago.

Err .. sorry Gilbo, you were only trying to help, and here I am being Mr Grumpy again.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
OK, I Googled it. It seems that MS included bits of 2003 Server in XP SP3. There is a fix:

In Internet Options / security-tab, go to local intranet/sites

Untick "Automatically detect intranet network"
Tick "Include all local (intranet) sites not listed in other zones"
Tick "Include all network paths (UNCs)"

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've deployed it on about 300 stations so far. I only had one issue, and that came from a spyware infection rather than a problem with SP3 itself. I'm told by people with older machines (P4s, basically) that there's actually a subjective performance benefit to installing it.

I did 75 Vista SP1 installs as well. 100% identical machines and I had 8 that had to be re-activated. I have NO IDEA why. I had to call on every damned one of them.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
MERC! YOU'RE BACK! WELCOME! WE MISSED YOU, MAN! NOW DON'T EVER GO AWAY AGAIN!Sorry for shouting - too excited!

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
XP SP3 installed. NO problems so far.

I read SP3 was killing old AMD systems (check my sig) with certain ASUS boards. Luckily for me it seems that the SP3 induced self-destruction only applied to certain vomit boxes. I finally grew some balls and installed SP3. I downloaded the network/full install as it's much faster. No obvious problems to report. No subjective increase or decrease in responsiveness to report.

If you do not have an econo-Dell-crapola-HP-BestBuy-Compaq-piece-o-shit computer you will in all likeliness be perfectly fine installing XP SP3. Just don't expect a 4000% increase in computer speed or an espresso machine popping out of your keyboard and you will be just fine.

And as a long time and loyal lurker to these boards let me echo Mubs words (without using the huge, all uppercase font) in welcoming the return of Mercutio. May his love for Nvidia and Western Digital once again bring joy to the readers of this forum.