World Trade Center on September 7, 2001

SteveC

Storage is cool
These pictures were taken the Friday before 9/11 by my dad.

wtc1.jpg

wtc2.jpg

These first two were taken from Battery Park, just south of the WTC.
wtc3.jpg

This picture shows 1 WTC in the background with 3 World Financial Center (WFC) on the left, and 2 WFC on the right. In the middle is what is known as the Winter Garden, which restoration was just completed on this past Thursday. My dad worked in 3 WFC on, I think, the 24th floor. He was going to take the camera in to work again on 9/11, but fortunately he forgot it. If he did, he probably would have stayed around to take pictures, and I wouldn't want to see those anyway.

If anyone wants the full size images, just send me an email. There about 1 meg each.

Thank to Flagreen for the server space.

Steve

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Your welcome Steve. That camera takes beautiful pictures. The area looks a lot better than did that's for sure.

Bill

SteveC

Storage is cool
Here is nearly the same angle as the last picture, but after the collapse. You can see the steel beams sticking out of 3 WFC in the upper left corner. That's about 15-20 stories up.

These two give a clearer picture of the damage done to my dad's building:
Picture 1
Picture 2

I can't post a direct link to the images because they're copyrighted.

Steve

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for those pictures. I remember standing right next to tower 1 overlooking West Street facing the Winter Garden with my mother and brother on July 4 two years ago. I never imagined that 14 months or so later everything would be gone. I even remember us casually discussing what a mess the towers would make if they ever collapsed, but of course none of use ever believed they actually would. Those photos show the amazing way the light played off the towers, and how they dominated lower Manhattan.

I have a bunch of pictures that I took a month ago of Ground Zero that I wanted to share with everyone here. Unfortunately, they were taken with a regular camera, and I'm on dial-up anyway so I really have no reasonable means of uploading them, and no place to host them. I suppose once I get around to scanning them(my scanner's not the best for photos), I could mail them on a CD if anybody was really interested, although there's loads of that type of material already on the Internet.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I haven't gone down to the site yet, but my sister went last November with her boyfriend. That was when it was still smoking, and she said it smelled horrible. My dad's company still hasn't returned to 3 WFC and they're not sure if they're ever going back. Many of the employees said that they wouldn't go back no matter what.

Steve

SteveC

Storage is cool
slo crostic said:
SteveC, where there any people injured in your Dad's building?

I don't know about injuries, but I'm fairly certain there weren't any deaths from his building. My dad was in charge of making sure everyone from their office was okay and reporting back to their home office, but his company only had one floor of a 50+ story building, so there were a lot of other companies in there. He did have a lot of friends that were killed though, including several he's known for over 25 years. His old company had just moved into 2 WTC just a couple of months earlier, and not everyone there made it out.

Steve

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Being young and 1000 miles away, 9/11 didn't have as big an impact on me as it could have. Maybe as big as when Mt. Pinatubo erupted.

However, in may I visited New York. This is what I left with.