What type are you?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I *know* I've brought this up before, but it's something that's genuinely interesting to me.

The Keirsey Temperament Sorter is a sort of brief test of personality characteristics. When I read its result from my own testing, I was amazed at how closely it matched my own attitudes.

I'm curious about the scores others get on the test, and whether you think the depiction from its result is actually accurate.

The test requires an email registration. Feel free to fake it. It takes something between five and ten minutes to answer all 70 questions.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
It says I am a SJ.

With at least 20 of those questions I didn't like either of the answers or felt the answers were diffcult to grasp the meaning of.

Mercutio

I think the difficulty is meant to invoke introspection. I do know - although not from this version of the test - that you can be an "X" in one or more dimensions, balanced between one side or the other.

Anyway, all four characteristics are important, and for both P5 and Groltz, I have to ask... was your result a fair description of how you see yourself?

Groltz

Mercutio said:
I have to ask... was your result a fair description of how you see yourself?

At least in comparison to the paragraph I linked above, my answer would be about 85% "No"

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
This is me...I don't want to pay for the full report...

C

All Artisans (SPs) share the following core characteristics:

Artisans tend to be fun-loving, optimistic, realistic, and focused on the here and now.
Artisans pride themselves on being unconventional, bold, and spontaneous.
Artisans make playful mates, creative parents, and troubleshooting leaders.
Artisans are excitable, trust their impulses, want to make a splash, seek stimulation, prize freedom, and dream of mastering action skills.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
according to the keirsey website:

guardians (SJ) = 40-45%
artisans (SP) = 35-40%
idealists (NF) = 8-10%
rationals (NT) = 5-7%

it will be interesting to see the distribution of temperaments on this forum. of course there won't be enough members participating for us to be able to conclude anything it should be interesting to see nonetheless.

so far we have:

SJ - 3
SP -1
NF - 1
NT - 1

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I took this test around the time Merc meantioned it the first time and scored and SJ on Mar 13.

After spending lots of time in forum dicussions having my perseptions knotted, twisted and pulled, today I scored an SJ.

Mercutio

I've gotten different scores a few different times, depending on other factors in my life, but from what I've read, your score should be essentially the same throughout your life. I first had the full sorter administered to me at age 12, and again at 20 and just a few days ago at age 26, and my score on the full examination seems to always come out the same.

Mercutio

Who is twisting your perceptions, Cliptin? You aren't talking about the Pledge thread over on SR, are you?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
Who is twisting your perceptions, Cliptin? You aren't talking about the Pledge thread over on SR, are you?

Sorry, I meant all three af those to be happening inside my head and over the last few months. You know, personal growth. :)

Mercutio

Hey, join the club. You'd be surprised what I've learned about myself in the last three months.

Maybe some day we'll meet at a bar in, say, Cincinnati or Indianapolis or something and we can commiserate.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I think these tests are no more accurate than reading your horoscope.

The human psyche is far too complex to be classified so easily in 4 categories. Personally, I sport characteristics from all 4 categories (Artisan, Guardian, Rational, Idealist- with a tendency for the last), but there are many questions I would respond different if posted in a slightly altered way or if I had another mood by the time I took the test.

70 questions to show you what guy you are? Pfff... nope.

Mercutio

Just take the test, and read the information on the site. Keirsey's work is an extension of Jungian archetypes, and the characteristics so described *do* seem to fit a lot of people. There is an examination that can be administered by professional therapists which has considerably more than 70 questions.
Jung, and probably many of the practices of psychiatry, psychology and indeed most of social science could probably be debunked in rigorous application of scientific method.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Prof.Wizard said:
I think these tests are no more accurate than reading your horoscope.

The human psyche is far too complex to be classified so easily in 4 categories. Personally, I sport characteristics from all 4 categories (Artisan, Guardian, Rational, Idealist- with a tendency for the last), but there are many questions I would respond different if posted in a slightly altered way or if I had another mood by the time I took the test.

70 questions to show you what guy you are? Pfff... nope.

Bah, You're not a doctor. You're a Wizard. Take the test.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Just take the test, and read the information on the site. Keirsey's work is an extension of Jungian archetypes, and the characteristics so described *do* seem to fit a lot of people. There is an examination that can be administered by professional therapists which has considerably more than 70 questions.
Jung, and probably many of the practices of psychiatry, psychology and indeed most of social science could probably be debunked in rigorous application of scientific method.
If the above statement was 100% accurate Keirsey would be a billionaire and most psychologists out of job...

You know, about the "so described *do* seem to fit a lot of people" you said... And I know many people who say things in their lives happen exactly as they read them in their weekly (or worse, daily!) horoscopes...

I told you, I have characteristics of all 4 classes... why should I be an "Idealist"? Because the test says so?!

Groltz

Cliptin said:
Take the test.

...And report your results. Otherwise you shall be imprisoned in the heretofore unmentioned secret fifth category....Babbling Bubblehead :rnd:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Cliptin said:
Bah, You're not a doctor. You're a Wizard. Take the test.
Trust me, this has nothing to do with the fact I study Medicine. (Here now, I'm a rational!)

Yes, I do have contact with the field (three courses: Introduction to Psychology, Medical Psychology, Psychiatry) but I'm talking as Wizard (Constantine) now.

Don't get me wrong... I said there might be a tendency, but not so great to make you classified in a certain group. People who are really (heart 'n' soul) in one of those groups are more of exceptions than the rule.

I believe most of us mix up rather well the aforementioned groups.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mercutio said:

Just so, Mercutio, and I speak as one who majored in social science research methods. The problem is rather like that faced by your cliched typical retailer and his advertising policy:

"I know that half of my advertising budget is wasted - but which half?"

Indeed, there is a great deal of absolute bunk in the social sciences generally, and psychology in particular. Unscientific, ill-researched, and ill thought out.

But on the other hand, there is a smaller but still significant body of knowledge which is of real value, and which has been well established. If you look hard enough, and if you know how to tell the gold from the sand, there is a wonderful amount of knowledge to be gleaned.

Alas, it is much more difficult to distinguish between the good and the bad in sociology or psychology than it is in metalurgy or physics. This is essentially so because most of us spend most our lives not knowing anything much about the fundamentals of knowledge gathering (i.e., what is it that makes scienentific knowledge "scientific" and "knowledge" as opposed to "opinion" or "a clever idea")

Most people have the vague idea that it has something to do with experiments and mathematics, and that is about as far as they go. And in the conceptually easy disciplines (for example, physics, maths, chemistry) this level of understanding will get you quite a long way. But as soon as you venture into more difficult disciplines (such as economics, psychology, history, sociology, and possibly even biology), it becomes impossible to learn anything much unless you first equip yourself with the conceptual tools.

Psychologists as a breed are a particularly unusual bunch. They, like biologists, like to think of themselves as "real" scientists like their brothers over in the physics lab, and to this end most of them become more and more rigourous with their mathematical techniques and their positivist methods until the point is reached where, by discarding suspect research strategies, they have become incapable of learning anything of significance at all. They are, if you like, nothing but glorified button counters.

And then there are those that react to their realisation of this and proceed to throw themselves off the deep end of rationality and dive into the murky waters of mysticism and intuition. This soon results in them covering themselves in the excreta of the psudo-scientific. Consider Freudian or Jungian theory for examples of this.

In the end, most psychologists have failed to ask themselves the most fundamental scientific question of all: "what is this thing we call knowledge?" And this is why most of them produce such miserable mixes of fact and nonsense, why most of them are unable to tie their knowledge together in any meaningful way, and why the measured success rate of psychological intervention is on average the same as the measured success rate of many alternative interventions, including astrology, palmistry and the occult.

Psychologists do tend to do good work, they increase the chances of recovery from most individual problems to about 70% (figure from memory). At first this sounds rather impressive. 70% of psycolologists' paitents are "cured" or at least have their states "substantially improved"! But when you look a little harder, you discover that the success rate (measured in the exact same way) for no treatment at all is 50% (i.e., 50% of people just get better all by themselves) and the success rate for non-psychological intervention is also about 70%. A tea leaf reader, a priest, a fortune teller, or an astrologer, in other words, is just as likely as a psychologist to achieve a successful result.

Err.... I seem to be off topic.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The two previous times Merc asked people to participate to this test, I ended up being a SJ. Guardian, right...I down know guardian of what, but trust me, no one is gonna touch what I'm guarding :twistd:

Prof.Wassup! said:
If the above statement was 100% accurate Keirsey would be a billionaire and most psychologists out of job...
IMO, that would be a good thing, at least regarding the psychologists. Most are crazier than their patients anyway.

Koggit

What is this storage?
w00t w00t

Guardians pride themselves on being dependable, helpful, and hard-working.
Guardians make loyal mates, responsible parents, and stabilizing leaders.
Guardians tend to be dutiful, cautious, humble, and focused on credentials and traditions.
Guardians are concerned citizens who trust authority, join groups, seek security, prize gratitude, and dream of meting out justice. ]

Guardians are the cornerstone of society. =)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Koggit said:
w00t w00t

Guardians tend to be dutiful, cautious, humble, and focused on credentials and traditions.
Guardians are concerned citizens who trust authority, join groups, seek security, prize gratitude, and dream of meting out justice. ]

And that would be Coug?! :eek:

It's definitely wrong... :lol:
(OK, I'm getting in the trench now cause CougTek will be on the counter for that...)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Prof.Wizard said:
And that would be Coug?! :eek:

It's definitely wrong... :lol:
Pbbbbt.

It's not completly wrong. Everything is in the interpretation :
Judging by the feedback I receive regarding the front page, it's not too far from truth.

Loyal mates isn't your business, but I'm a very responsible parent : I don't have kids and I don't want to have any (or more) at all. I know that with my temper, the poor litte shit factory would leave this world at an early age. I'm conscious that I don't have the patience to have children, so I won't have any. I think that's responsible. At least it's more than all those idiots out there who never asked themselves whether they would be able to raise their kids properly or not and ended up being parents anyway.

And I'm a great leader. No one ever argue my decision (but I won't say why ;-))

Hmmm... Dutiful ok, cautious : depends on what, humble (cough) : I'll be when I'll have a reason to be, focused on credentials (credentials??? Babelfish anyone?) and tradition : I almost always dress the same way.

Guardians are concerned citizens who trust authority, join groups, seek security, prize gratitude, and dream of meting out justice.
Trust autority? Well, as long as I'm the autority, that's fine.
Join groups? nope, sorry, but that's wrong. I'm a recluse and I've always been.
Seek security? If that's capital security, then yes.
Prize gratitude? I like to know when what I do is done right, but beyond that, I don't ask for flowers.
Dream of meeting justice? Certainly not the justice provided by our society. IMO, a law is like a neck : it's there to be broken. Our laws aren't just and our laws aren't fair. When I'll perceive the laws to be fair, I'll respect them. In the meanwhile, I prefer to look and act like someone who doesn't give a shit about the laws. I could write a while on that subject, but it would be high-jacking this thread.

I'm the cornerstone of my own life and for now, I'm not looking for more.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Type NT, which they described as follows:

All Rationals (NTs) share the following core characteristics:

Rationals tend to be pragmatic, skeptical, self-contained, and focused on problem-solving and systems analysis.
Rationals pride themselves on being ingenious, independent, and strong willed.
Rationals make reasonable mates, individualizing parents, and strategic leaders.
Rationals are even-tempered, they trust logic, yearn for achievement, seek knowledge, prize technology, and dream of understanding how the world works.

Rationals are the problem solving temperament, particularly if the problem has to do with the many complex systems that make up the world around us. Rationals might tackle problems in organic systems such as plants and animals, or in mechanical systems such as railroads and computers, or in social systems such as families and companies and governments. But whatever systems fire their curiosity, Rationals will analyze them to understand how they work, so they can figure out how to make them work better.

Rationals are very scarce, comprising as little as 5 to 7 percent of the population. But because of their drive to unlock the secrets of nature, and to develop new technologies, they have done much to shape our world.

That's as dead on as I've ever had any analysis of my personality.