WD AV-GP HARD DRIVE - In a PC

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Howdy -

I was using one of these drives to expand my DVR but I no longer need it. http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701250.pdf

My understanding is that these drives lack some error checking features that typical PC drives have to ensure no lost frames on video recording. In essence, they're optimized for video streams rather than PC data.

I no longer have the DVR that can be used with this. Do you think I can use it in a PC?

Thanks

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I do not see why not. People pay a lot extra to get the AV bios so that it will stream data better but that tax has already been paid. It should perform just fine as a low performance consumer drive.

Stereodude

Not really a
My understanding is that these drives lack some error checking features that typical PC drives have to ensure no lost frames on video recording. In essence, they're optimized for video streams rather than PC data.

I no longer have the DVR that can be used with this. Do you think I can use it in a PC?
I believe you're thinking of the RAID drives with the reduced error checking stuff, specifically TLER. My understanding is the AV drives were potentially optimized for noise and streaming and spinning 24/7.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Clocker is correct. Error correction is only one tenth as good as normal drives.

Check his linked specs very carefully; Unrecoverable Error Rate is normally expressed as "1 in 10E14" or "1 in 10E15", but WD A/V drives are "10 in 10E14".