Upgrade Parts

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I really like that Gigabyte board as a high quality/no frills option.
What are you upgrading from?

I kinda-sorta want to upgrade my HTPC machine to an i3-3220 since I have one spare, but at the same time I know I completely don't need to because of how that machine gets used. Odd as it might seem I've been looking for something like this an alternative. Dual 900MHz Tegra 3, support for mSATA and mPCIe. I think I could make a decent enough Linux box out of one of those. Probably not any faster than the e5300 I have now, but there's something to be said for no moving parts and a tenth of the power utilization.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the feedback on the board, that's what I was most concerned with choosing.

I'm upgrading from a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 6GB of RAM. That's what I've been running in my desktop system since 10/2007.

This is the motherboard I'm currently running.

I'd like to upgrade my HTPC as well, but that will have to wait.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Any comments?

Yeah. Haswell goes out in about a month and a half (June 3rd). You're obviouly patient regarding system upgrade since the one you're upgrading hasn't been for the past five years or so. What's the rush? While Haswell won't bring spectacular CPU performance enhancements, its integrated graphic unit will be two or three times more powerful than the one in Ivy Bridge IIRC. It will also dissipate even less heat than Ivy Bridge. The LGA also changes, so by opting for the current generation instead of waiting for an LGA1150 motherboard, you're probably limiting your options for the future, even though in your case, a CPU upgrade isn't likely. There are other reasons why you should wait for the latest LGA to come out. Imagine your motherboard fails just after the warranty. You're much more likely to be able to find an LGA1150 motherboard in three years and a half than an LGA1155. I have sorry customers with a dying LGA1156 motherboard this week and finding a replacement is a chanlenge.

Don't get me wrong, the system you're planning to get is fine. It's just that the timing is so close to the introduction of the next generation that unless you're in a hurry, I don't see why you shouldn't wait. My advice, buy the RAM today since the prices are still rising, but wait for the motherboard and CPU. Oh and get DDR3 1600MHz (like you're planning to do), not 1333MHz. Haswell supports up to DDR3 1866MHz officially, but those stick still carry a premium, unlike the 1600MHz over the 1333MHz.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Do you think I will be able to spend around the same amount of money when the Haswell stuff comes out? I'd like to keep it all around $500.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Also, do you think they'll be a decent number of motherboards that support the new socket that launch near June 2nd?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The last two times Intel launch a new CPU architecture (Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge), the new CPUs were available at very good prices for the first few days and then the prices inflated a little due to the stock drop and strong demand. I expect the situation to be the same for Haswell's launch. Intel will no doubt have an Haswell Core i5 at a similar price as the Ivy Bridge i5 3570K, but with slightly higher performances and lower TDP. Intel is supposed to have been shipping Haswell CPU for the past few weeks to big retailers, sot there will be a good selection of CPU in stock at launch.

Regarding the motherboards, sure, there won't be as wide a choice at launch as there is currently for Ivy Bridge. But there will be several for sure. I would even be surprised not to see those appear on my price lists in the previous two or three weeks before the official launch. I remember having ordered an LGA1155 motherboard (a P67 in that time) before Sandy Bridge arrived. I would bet it will be the same this time. With the catastrophic sales numbers for the PC market that have been made public last week, be sure the motherboard makers won't screw Haswell's launch. The motherboards will be there.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
My advice, buy the RAM today since the prices are still rising, but wait for the motherboard and CPU. Oh and get DDR3 1600MHz (like you're planning to do), not 1333MHz. Haswell supports up to DDR3 1866MHz officially, but those stick still carry a premium, unlike the 1600MHz over the 1333MHz.
Holy crap! I didn't realize RAM prices jumped this much so fast. A few weeks ago 2 sticks of 8 GB DDR3-1600 was around $80. Now it's at least $110. With PC sales being lousy, I would think RAM prices should be dropping, not rising.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'd wait for Haswell since it will be out soon. Might as well see what it brings to the table.

Buy the RAM now as it seems prices are rising. I bought this RAM. It's $10 more, but you get normal looking heat spreaders that aren't too tall. And it's c9 instead of c10 but you'd probably never notice the difference. That RAM was $92 when I bought it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Holy crap! I didn't realize RAM prices jumped this much so fast. A few weeks ago 2 sticks of 8 GB DDR3-1600 was around $80. Now it's at least $110. With PC sales being lousy, I would think RAM prices should be dropping, not rising.

I imagine it's got something to do with the possible Korean war. I'm surprised there hasn't been more commentary on the possible devastation of the world economy that would follow.

Mercutio

That's because no one outside southeast Asia thinks it's seriously going to happen.

TEwaAme.png

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Do you think I will be able to spend around the same amount of money when the Haswell stuff comes out? I'd like to keep it all around $500.

You can check the MSRP of the upcoming Haswell processors here. Prices are very similar to their relative Ivy Bridge siblings.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I haven't paid attention about the announcements. I have not seen any LGA1150 motherboard in my price lists either. But don't worry, they'll be there in time.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Have you seen any motherboards announced?

I don't know if you've waited or not, but I can tell you that LGA1150 motherboards have been stock in many stores for at least a week. One I visited yesterday had plenty of them and because of uninformed staff, they've been selling them since last week-end.

They did not receive any laptop with the new chip though.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Not yet. I admit I haven't paid much attention to LGA1150 motherboards so far. Even though the reviews are out today, the new platform will only be officially available Monday. Then, we should see what's on the shelves. Now, the only thing I can tell you is that there will be many available models, but I don't know exactly which ones.

What's your budget for the motherboard? 100$? 130$? Need µATX? A particular brand you avoid?

Mercutio

Microcenter will have that shit on sale. My advice is to go to Microcenter and buy your CPU for 2/3rd the price it is on Amazon and get whatever Intel or Gigabyte (or Asus, if you're one of THOSE people) motherboard best matches your price range.

Handruin

Administrator
Microcenter will have that shit on sale. My advice is to go to Microcenter and buy your CPU for 2/3rd the price it is on Amazon and get whatever Intel or Gigabyte (or Asus, if you're one of THOSE people) motherboard best matches your price range.

Microcenter is where I typically get and send people for CPUs also. Microcenter will also price match Amazon and newegg for other parts if you want things same-day...they've done that for me in the past.

Core i5 4670K @ $199.99 (Newegg & Amazon $249.99)
Core i7 4770K @ $279.99 (Newegg & Amazon $349.99)

Stereodude

Not really a
I already got the advertisement from them for their Haswell processor and motherboard promotions. I anticipate building a Haswell system, but I don't plan to jump in immediately. I want to give things a little while to settle.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I already got the advertisement from them for their Haswell processor and motherboard promotions. I anticipate building a Haswell system, but I don't plan to jump in immediately. I want to give things a little while to settle.

For all the last few new CPU generation introduction, prices were at their lowest during the first single or two weeks following the launch (at least here). The prices never fell back to the introduction price before several (think 6-9 months at least). This has been true since the Core 2 Quad days IIRC. And this time, it should be particularly true also. Intel wants to make a big impression to its shareholders for the launch by posting strong sales numbers. After that, since AMD has nothing to compete against Haswell, Intel won't have any pressure to lower the prices, so it won't happen.

If you want to build an Haswell system, buy the CPU now, assuming you have the money. You can delay the motherboard purchase as those might decrease in price. But the processors won't be any cheaper in two months, you can be sure about that.

Stereodude

Not really a
If you want to build an Haswell system, buy the CPU now, assuming you have the money. You can delay the motherboard purchase as those might decrease in price. But the processors won't be any cheaper in two months, you can be sure about that.
Based on experience, Microcenter will hold that price indefinitely. I'm not worried about price drops on motherboards. I'm more concerned about getting a buggy board.

On a related note, does the Intel RST RAID driver and BIOS support doing things like RAID-1 with drives larger than 2TB yet?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How well do they O/C? I only see the 4-core models. What about 6 core CPUs?

Stereodude

Not really a
How well do they O/C?
Not as well as Ivy Bridge (which in turn was worse than Sandy Bridge). The integrated voltage regulator doesn't help things. Apparently Intel is still using a crappy tim between the die and the heatspreader instead of solder also.

I only see the 4-core models. What about 6 core CPUs?
There aren't any, and apparently won't be any.

Mercutio

On a related note, does the Intel RST RAID driver and BIOS support doing things like RAID-1 with drives larger than 2TB yet?

I don't see anything to indicate that it's been changed. I really wish Microsoft didn't consider software RAID1 a "Server" feature for Windows.

LM, if you want more than four cores on Intel, you need to look at LGA2011 or at Xeons. Or you can buy an AMD CPU, I guess.

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't see anything to indicate that it's been changed.
Based on some information I found exercising my Google-Fu earlier today it seems they added it mid 2011. You apparently need to have a OROM later than 10.5 and a IRS driver of 10.6.0.1002 or later. It supports HW going back to the ICH9R/DO. Of course motherboard makers probably don't have BIOS updates with the 10.5 OROM for motherboards old enough to have the ICH9R, but that's a different issue.

Mercutio

It looks like the only thing you get from moving up to the $135 board is two extra USB3 ports and a fancier heat sink. Meh.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I ordered the cheap one. I'd like to have more SATA ports, but 2 extra ports aren't worth $60.

Stereodude

Not really a
When did Microcenter get competitive on price?

I knew they had deals on processors for years, but with all the bundling memory, motherboards, and other things are cheaper than Newegg or Amazon. Even without bundling a lot of prices are good. For example, the Toshiba (Hitachi) 3TB 7200RPM drives are $10 cheaper at Microcenter than Newegg.

Handruin

Administrator
When did Microcenter get competitive on price?

I knew they had deals on processors for years, but with all the bundling memory, motherboards, and other things are cheaper than Newegg or Amazon. Even without bundling a lot of prices are good. For example, the Toshiba (Hitachi) 3TB 7200RPM drives are $10 cheaper at Microcenter than Newegg.

They've been very competitive for a few years. I've built my last few machines almost entirely from microcenter. I've also helped friends do the same with several different machines.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I picked up the CPU from Micro Center today. I also bought a Samsung 840 Pro 128GB drive for $120 after coupon. I will probably get around to building it tomorrow. Watched the Penguins embarrass themselves while drinking Highland Park instead.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I had already ordered this one. I didn't know their selection was that good. When I checked their website on Sunday or Monday there was only one board available.

Hopefully, I didn't screw up.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
They've been very competitive for a few years. I've built my last few machines almost entirely from microcenter. I've also helped friends do the same with several different machines.

Yep. MC has always had decent prices. In fact, VERY decent for a B&M. I suspect MC's "computer parts" biz is a loss-leader to get people into their stores to buy "accessories" and other nick-nacks with huge margins.

I miss the Tustin, CA store that was just up SR-55 from my house.

Stereodude

Not really a
Hopefully, I didn't screw up.
As long as you're not attempting to overclock you'll likely be fine.

I got this board from MC for $129.99 with my i7-4770K processor.

Yep. MC has always had decent prices. In fact, VERY decent for a B&M. I suspect MC's "computer parts" biz is a loss-leader to get people into their stores to buy "accessories" and other nick-nacks with huge margins.
That strategy sure didn't work on me. Everything I bought was at least as $20 less than Newegg's price.

CPU: $70 savings
RAM: $40 savings
Mobo: $40 savings
SSD: $20 savings

:tgif:

Mercutio

My problems with Microcenter are the half tank of gas between me and any savings and Cook or DuPage county sales tax. But I buy a CPU every single time I'm in Westmont so I figure it works out.