This is the thread for the discussion of interesting apps.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've found several that I prefer to the stock options. For those interested, it comes with a 15 minute refund window.

Actually, once I dug into the APK, it's about 35MB of .ogg files plus a tiny little binary for previewing and setting them as the system alarm/ringtone/notification. When I just copied the .ogg files and stuck them in /storage/sdcard0/media/audio/notifications on another device they show up like any other system sound.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Merc:
After rooting your phone, how much of Sprint's extra programs did you get rid of?

Mercutio

I don't like the Gmail app. It makes incorrect assumptions about how I want my mail presented. I replace it with K9, which also runs on my Amazon tablet.
I don't like Hangounts. Hangouts behaves poorly since I don't have a G+-enabled account. I replace it with IM+ Pro, which can also sign in to Skype or Yahoo for the rare times I need those.
I don't like to use SMS messaging, but neither Samsung nor LG phones ship with the Google standard Messenger client... and I don't like that one, either. Google Voice supports SMS forwarding, but I recently found out that it won't forward an MMS message. So I've installed Textra for the three times total that I've needed to look at an MMS.
I don't look at Google Calendar but I do use the Contacts app. Neither of the recent phones I've had has had the Google versions of those apps installed. Both had an OEM-specific version that hook in to their vendor specific backup.
I don't like mobile Chrome. It's a pig and it doesn't support proper ad blocking. I use Firefox instead.
I normally use Copilot instead of Google Maps for navigation.

I do use Google Photos, Drive and Play Music. Play Books is pretty nice as well, but I wouldn't read ebooks on a 5.5" screen so that can be tossed as well.

The other big tools for me are Andmade Share, which gives me an editable Share menu, ES File Explorer, Doubletwist and Wifi Analyzer.

Anyything else can just be diabled or removed until I have some reason to put it back.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't like the Gmail app. It makes incorrect assumptions about how I want my mail presented. I replace it with K9, which also runs on my Amazon tablet.

Is that the best e-mail app? I'mfinding the default e-mailonthe G4 lacking in options.

Mercutio

I like K9 but it has its own quirks, like having to manually configure server settings and not having an easy multiple selection for message deletions.

LunarMist

I like K9 but it has its own quirks, like having to manually configure server settings and not having an easy multiple selection for message deletions.

I have so many accounts/hosts with different ports,etc.and they have changed Are there any e-mails withmoreautomatic configurations?

LunarMist

It was banned from the Play Store, but device-wide Adblock+ is available for Android Devices in the Amazon App Store. Some people say it causes problems with some other apps, but I haven't observed any issues yet on the devices where I've tried it.

It does not require root and I've been using it on my GS4 for a couple weeks now. I find it particularly helpful with the Android default web browser. It does not seem to prevent ads on Youtube.

I'm trying to use the ad block plus app on the new LG phone, but in the configuration it keeps asking about the WIFI. I don't ever want to use the WIFI on this phone except on travel if no service is available. Can this app block ads from the normal phone usage or is there something else I can try?

Mercutio

You would have to root your phone for a decent global block. Adblock+ does help, but it's not perfect. You can either use the Adblock Plus browser (a fork of Firefox with ABP preinstalled) or install Firefox and run the ABP addon to have a less ad-filled experience.

Rooting allows you to configure a hosts file, which can help a lot but it also won't 100% eliminate ads since there's new ad servers coming online all the time. You'll just have many fewer ads.

Stereodude

Not really a
Does anyone use business card "reader" software? The sort of thing where you photograph the card and it pulls all the information off it. If so, any recommendations?

Stereodude

Not really a
This and a simple receipt app are both on my list.
I'm testing out CamCard. I've only used it twice, so I don't have much feedback yet. I also didn't want to create some sort of online account with them, so as I understand it the OCR quality is not as good.

Also, do any of you use a wallpaper app? Or, where do you get your Android wallpapers from? I'm looking for some good high res space themed photographs. Nebula, galaxies, cool starry sky shots, those sorts of things...

Handruin

Administrator
Would CamScanner do what you need? I've used this a limited amount in the past but found it in some thread somewhere where a bunch of people recommended it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Rotating pictures seems like something that would contribute to battery drain.
Well, I wasn't necessarily thinking of animated wallpapers or something that would fetch a new one every 30 minutes or anything. However, now I see I can just download some images from Interfacelift.com that will fill the bill.

ddrueding

Fixture
Would CamScanner do what you need? I've used this a limited amount in the past but found it in some thread somewhere where a bunch of people recommended it.

CamScanner is great. I already use it for some other work-related tasks. As strange as it may seem one of the appeals is to use a different program so the images are automatically stored in their own location.

Mercutio

I use Drive Autosync and manually move files into a couple specific folders in Google Drive when I need to deal with something than needs careful handling, like a specific receipt or card. I don't need to do those things THAT often so I'd rather manage the occasional file than bother with using a special app for it.

LunarMist

The weight limits for my upcoming single-engine flights are terrible, so I'm trying to save every gram and not bring a hiking GPS.
Does anyone know of a good Androids GPS logging app for tagging the RAW files afterwards? It needs to work where there is no cell service and just create a log of the track at reasonable intervals.
I'm concerned about battery life and accuracy. Does the log use the GPS time and not the crappy, drifting phone time?

ddrueding

Fixture
Running GPS on a phone significantly increases the power consumption of the device. You might need one of these external batteries to get through a day (assuming you can recharge everything at night).

I haven't done GPS tagging, so just to confirm your requirements, you need the phone to use GPS at regular intervals to store both the exact location and time? Nothing specifically triggered or queried by the camera on each actuation?

Last edited by a moderator:

Handruin

Administrator
Running GPS on a phone significantly increases the power consumption of the device. You might need one of these external batteries to get through a day (assuming you can recharge everything at night).

I haven't done GPS tagging, so just to confirm your requirements, you need the phone to use GPS at regular intervals to store both the exact location and time? Nothing specifically triggered or queried by the camera on each actuation?

I also have own one of these Anker Astro E5 16000mAh Compact Portable Charger that have served me (and others) very well (amazon.com affiliate url).

Handruin

Administrator
(I have no idea how to affiliate link it)

I appreciate you considering it but don't worry about adding the link. I'm going to look into a vbulletin tag that will offer a way to offer a link with and without. I want members to not feel obligated to use it and they should be informed that the link they're clicking is actually the affiliate link. What I'd like to offer is something in the form of [product A | product A (amazon.com affiliate url)] so that it's transparent.

To give you feedback on how it works you need to append the following to the amazon URL: "&tag=storageforum-20" without quotes.

LunarMist

I have that one and the 25.6Ah one as well, both are awesome. Both are also overkill for just keeping a phone running all day when weight is an issue.

If it isn't feasible for 16 hours straight (dawn to dusk) it's not worth adding an external battery.

ddrueding

Fixture
Even the smallest of the batteries we've linked will manage a full day, they at least double battery capacity. LG G4 ships with 2.9Ah. Even assuming a 50% loss from self-discharge and conversion (way pessimistic), anything larger than their tiniest will get you there.

LunarMist

Even the smallest of the batteries we've linked will manage a full day, they at least double battery capacity. LG G4 ships with 2.9Ah. Even assuming a 50% loss from self-discharge and conversion (way pessimistic), anything larger than their tiniest will get you there.

Thanks for all the replies. I suppose it is not worthwhile. :(

LunarMist

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been using digital clock xperia for a long time along with nova launcher. I can't say I use the weather function very often but I like the clock font and that I can make it the size of a half dollar. My only wish is that I could affect the size of the time on the home screen.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm testing out CamCard. I've only used it twice, so I don't have much feedback yet. I also didn't want to create some sort of online account with them, so as I understand it the OCR quality is not as good.

Also, do any of you use a wallpaper app? Or, where do you get your Android wallpapers from? I'm looking for some good high res space themed photographs. Nebula, galaxies, cool starry sky shots, those sorts of things...

Found this one today for wallpaper management called Backdrops...