This is the thread for the discussion of interesting apps.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I just ran across an interesting application for somebody who lives and dies for "push to talk." It's called Heytell and it's an Android/iPhone thing. It's not quite the same thing as Nextel's deal, more like voice text messages, but it's free and looks really easy to use.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
IM+ is pretty good for an instant messenger. It is available on about all mobile platforms and handles almost all IM services. I have had some minor run ins with their support for trivial things and they were helpful and it might be a coincidence but shortly after I saw app updates that mentioned the problem so I think they are doing good things.

In a crowded market I would say this is one of the best multiplatform IM solutions.

http://www.shapeservices.com/en/products/details.php?product=im&platform=none

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
1Password is a multiplatform password manager. It works on mac, windows, android and ios devices. It synchronizes the encrypted database via dropbox.

It is a bit pricey imo but I desperately needed something to help me out and I decided it needed to be available on everything I own, and this does the job pretty well. Places for website passwords, software license keys, wifi info, credit card info etc. Also has browser plugins for all the major browsers on all the platforms they mention, this automates form filling on web pages.

40% off code.
https://agilebits.com/b2w
AgileBits is proud to sponsor Back to Work. So, here's a special offer for all the nerds and jackals: take 40% off everything in our store and enjoy!

Handruin

Administrator
I just ran across an interesting application for somebody who lives and dies for "push to talk." It's called Heytell and it's an Android/iPhone thing. It's not quite the same thing as Nextel's deal, more like voice text messages, but it's free and looks really easy to use.

There is also Voxer which does the same thing. It's a push to talk or walkie talkie type app that has an interesting playback and message storage feature. It also works with a group conversation which can be fun and handy. You can also use it like a text SMS and MMS. It's for Android/iPhone and it's free. I've only tried it on an iPhone to iPhone conversation and don't know if it works cross platform, but I hope that it does.

Handruin

Administrator
I enjoy using pulse and Flipboard as news aggregation tools. Flipboard only looks to be an iPhone/iPad app, but pulse is for both Android and iPhone.

Mercutio

I'm actually a huge fan of Google Reader, though I'll admit one of the main uses I have for it is keeping up with the various webcomics I read. I also use it in combination with the Android-only Google Listen to make sure that I'm up to date on the podcast versions of various NPR programs I enjoy. Google Reader gives me the same content regardless of device or platform, so I have all RSS feeds from all my favorite sites that I can browse through during porcelain vacations.

My favorite game for Android is called Bubble Shoot. It's more interesting than the other Frozen Bubble clones I've tried.

Apparently Valve's Steam now has a mobile version. I don't know if that's for game distribution or just a glorified chat client, but it's out there now.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Are that any apps that change the color temperature of the the display? I'd like to drop it 700K or so.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
On iOS devices f.lux does that but it requires a jailbreak. It really is nice at night though, makes it much easier on the eyes especially in a dim room.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
AFAIK your phone needs to be rooted to use something like cf.lumen.

I assume you've tried the different screen modes such as 'Movie'?

The blue tint is usually only visible when you're viewing the screen at an angle.

LunarMist

Do you set apps to auto-update? I'm concerned that will use up my data limits.

Mercutio

I do, but I don't have a data limit.
You can set it to notify and then download just while you have 802.11.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Sony Media Remote for Android

For those that have a Sony TV or BluRay player, Sony's released an official remote app for tablets and phones, that lets you control your TV or BR player from your tablet/phone.

The downside is, that it only works with a limited number of TV models, and you require the WiFi adapter as well...

I have it working with my Sony TV (KDL-CX520 series), and the Toshiba Thrive 7 tablet we recently got, and it's working really well. Especially good for browsing YouTube on the TV, or ABC iView.

Media Remote for Tablet and Media Remote for Phone

Mercutio

Logitech has a Harmony remote app as well. I have no idea if works or under what circumstances, but it's out there. It might just be for their Google TV stuff.

LunarMist

I found a nice Android app called WiFi Analyzer, which displays all sorts of graphical info about WiFi networks in the area. :)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I must say that I'm pretty impressed with Xmarks, it really pulled my whole bookmarks together across multiple platforms. I was concerned about it being a separate application on android, but with the android universal back button it works very slick. I don't think you could get the same experience with a seperate app on an iOS device.

Handruin

Administrator
I must say that I'm pretty impressed with Xmarks, it really pulled my whole bookmarks together across multiple platforms. I was concerned about it being a separate application on android, but with the android universal back button it works very slick. I don't think you could get the same experience with a seperate app on an iOS device.

I was impressed with Xmarks also until I tried using separate "accounts" to separate my work and personal. It's very possible I did something wrong, but it didn't work. It merged work and person and screwed up a bunch of stuff, so I stopped using it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It worked fine for me. I think it works the best if you have a third default profile with nothing in it. Then you can switch your device where it should be.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I've also switched to lastpass from keepass. More annoying to set up and use but the portability makes up for it.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm still using 1password. They say they have an android app coming out with edit capabilities soon as well, right now the one they have is read only.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Loving DoggCatcher

Me too, luckily it was my first try at finding a podcast app. A good podcast app can be surprisingly complex and this seems to handle things well but still has the options needed.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Heard of it, various people talking about it that I could find didn't like it and look at the play score...

Mercutio

I use it so that I can use my larger tablets as GPSes without needing a full-time data connection. It works very well for that purpose. Just like reviews on Amazon or Newegg, people will give bad reviews for stupid shit, so I'd take those reviews with a very large grain of salt.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just installed it when Merc linked to it (I hadn't heard of it before). Works well, seems to be a straightforward UI with one exception. For some reason it has its own predictive text input that conflicts with the predictive text input on the phone, causing duplicate text.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Just like reviews on Amazon or Newegg, people will give bad reviews for stupid shit, so I'd take those reviews with a very large grain of salt.

I very much understand but in contrast Apex just rendered everyones phone unusable today and still has an over 4 rating even after pages of one star home screen launcher crashing reviews. This thing getting a low 3 something is a red flag.

XKCD to the rescue:
star_ratings.png
-----------------
tornadoguard.png

I'll wait for TomTom, used them for years on three platforms and love it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought you had a Galaxy Note? Samsung bought Navigon licenses for every Android phone they make, so just download that. I'm 90% sure it can store maps and work without a full-time connection.