The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

Handruin

Administrator
Those guys are tools. fuk it Ima say by twoo of dem and fall on yur face you get no entitlment then ima look u up on linkedin and post ur shitz on a car forum BOOM you be caught bro/ fukj

Handruin

Administrator
Valid questions. I haven't decided on the VCSD kit because it's somewhat pricy. I do like the idea of being able to change a lot of items in the car. I'm leaning towards a yes on the cable. Are you going to get one also?

I'm really leaning towards no on the clear bra paint protection. I'm not a fan of the look of the seams and for the price I feel like I could pay to repaint the front if it chips really bad after 6-7 years. I may change my mind. I know of a local detail place that offers clear bra service but I haven't contacted them for price or details on the product.

I am considering a quality grade 35% legal tint on the windows. I'm not yet 100% on it yet.

I do not plan to change my own oil. I only realized the other day that our engine uses a lot more oil than I'm used to with my previous cars. Not that my discovery has any relation to me changing my own oil. It's mainly because my driveway and garage are not ideal for doing this. I'd rather just pay to have it done and be on my way. Are you planning to change your own oil? I'll likely do other maintenance on my car over time but I don't usually do my own oil.

Stereodude

Not really a
Are you going to get one also?
Yes, that's the plan.

I am considering a quality grade 35% legal tint on the windows. I'm not yet 100% on it yet.
I'm not sure what I will do for tint. I'm currently thinking to do Llumar Blue Air 80 on all the windows including the front windshield. I'm also thinking of putting a heavy tint on the moonroof though I'm not sure how dark the glass is from the factory. In my Maxima I almost always had the moonroof shade pulled close because it was hot and bright with it open. I think a heavy tint on the glass will fix that. I might wait a little bit on the tint though.

Are you planning to change your own oil?
Yes, I think so. I started changing my own oil on my Maxima shortly before it got hit. I got sick of paying $80 for a Mobil 1 5W-30 change when the oil + filter was ~$30. Unfortunately proper oil for the S4 is a lot more money than the Mobil 1 5W-30 I could get from Costco for about $28 for 6 qts. I'm looking at Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. It ends up being about $9 a quart though (included shipping) since it's not generally stocked in stores.

Handruin

Administrator
Yes, that's the plan.

I'm not sure what I will do for tint. I'm currently thinking to do Llumar Blue Air 80 on all the windows including the front windshield. I'm also thinking of putting a heavy tint on the moonroof though I'm not sure how dark the glass is from the factory. In my Maxima I almost always had the moonroof shade pulled close because it was hot and bright with it open. I think a heavy tint on the glass will fix that. I might wait a little bit on the tint though.

Yes, I think so. I started changing my own oil on my Maxima shortly before it got hit. I got sick of paying $80 for a Mobil 1 5W-30 change when the oil + filter was ~$30. Unfortunately proper oil for the S4 is a lot more money than the Mobil 1 5W-30 I could get from Costco for about $28 for 6 qts. I'm looking at Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. It ends up being about $9 a quart though (included shipping) since it's not generally stocked in stores.

I never really thought about tinting the front window. I'd probably pass at that. I never bothered to tint my TL-S, but there were times when I thought it would be nice. Now having a complete black interior on the S4, I thought it would be nice to reduce wear of UV and heat. I'll probably wait a bit on the tint also until I see how it is in the summer. I can park in the shade at work. We have a covered packing garage area.

Amazon offers the same Pennzoil ultra Euro 5W-40. Looks to be about $8.55/quart with free shipping (so about the same as what you quoted). It's currently out of stock though, but maybe by the time your first oil change is needed, it'll be in stock. I've not really spent any time researching oils, but why this specific kind? I never bothered with synthetic in my current car. I felt it was a waste, but I also don't keep cars very long. I just do regular oil changes with whatever was recommended by the manufacturer (meaning regular vs synth).

Stereodude

Not really a
I never really thought about tinting the front window. I'd probably pass at that.
The Llumar Blue Air 80 is 78% transmissive but it blocks almost 50% of IR. Hence my interest in using it on all the windows. I'm not looking for privacy, but I'd like to block out the heat.

I never bothered to tint my TL-S, but there were times when I thought it would be nice. Now having a complete black interior on the S4, I thought it would be nice to reduce wear of UV and heat. I'll probably wait a bit on the tint also until I see how it is in the summer.
Same here. I would occasionally toss the idea around, but never did it.

I can park in the shade at work. We have a covered packing garage area.
I have no such luxury.

Amazon offers the same Pennzoil ultra Euro 5W-40. Looks to be about $8.55/quart with free shipping (so about the same as what you quoted). It's currently out of stock though, but maybe by the time your first oil change is needed, it'll be in stock. I've not really spent any time researching oils, but why this specific kind? I never bothered with synthetic in my current car. I felt it was a waste, but I also don't keep cars very long. I just do regular oil changes with whatever was recommended by the manufacturer (meaning regular vs synth).
Yeah, I saw that Amazon sells it the other day. I see the price is lower now than it was a few days ago. The S4 requires SAE 5W-40 that meets the VW 502.00 standard. That means a synthetic. Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 seems to be one of the best synthetic oils that meets the VW 502.00 standard. People have been getting very good oil analyses with it in the "3.0T".

Stereodude

Not really a
Is it liquid platinum? WTF
:scratch: Maybe I'm missing the problem. It's $60 and it'll cover the entire car with product to spare and it lasts indefinitely (ie: years until it's removed or damaged by abrasion). It sheds dirt and beads water like a wax or sealant.

ddrueding

Fixture
:scratch: Maybe I'm missing the problem. It's $60 and it'll cover the entire car with product to spare and it lasts indefinitely (ie: years until it's removed or damaged by abrasion). It sheds dirt and beads water like a wax or sealant.

Mine wasn't specifically a complaint, simply amazement. If it does indeed perform as advertised I'd pay five times that much to have it on my car right now.

Concern one is that it might not; I've never heard of it before, and have heard no independent testimonials.
Concern two is that anything where that little can do that much almost certainly requires more skill than I have. I'd be paying someone to clean the car and apply it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Concern one is that it might not; I've never heard of it before, and have heard no independent testimonials.
Spend a little time with Google and you'll see it's legit. link1 link2

Concern two is that anything where that little can do that much almost certainly requires more skill than I have. I'd be paying someone to clean the car and apply it.
You can definitely get it put on your car by a pro if that's what you're after. You'd want your car to undergo paint correction first to eliminate any swirl marks or imperfections.

Handruin

Administrator
My comment wasn't a complaint either, just wasn't aware of such a product. I felt like it might be one of those scams from the dealer who sells you a $900 Simoniz plan for the car where they say you don't even need to wash it, just hose it down. If this stuff is that good, why doesn't everyone use it? I'll have to read through those links later to learn more.

Stereodude

Not really a
If this stuff is that good, why doesn't everyone use it?
Not everyone is aware of it. Some people like to spend time waxing their car on a regular basis (which you don't need to do with this). It's no different than why everyone doesn't run synthetic oil instead of conventional oil, or why everyone doesn't use Rain-X (or a similar product) on their windshield. Ultimately some people just don't care about their car so they're not willing to spend any time or money then the absolute least amount possible.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Due to my blackstone labs reports I know I can run fairly generic 5w20 for 12000 miles before a change. I change at 10k to fit with my normal service intervals.

Stereodude

Not really a
What car / engine?

From then engine oil analyses I've seen even the best synthetic oils won't last to 10k miles in the S4's engine.

Stereodude

Not really a
What is the service interval for the S4? After the first 5k, mine is every 10k.
It's the same. I guess I should amend my previous statement slightly. There have been very few engine oil analyses done on 10k oil change intervals of the 3.0T in the B8 S4 using dealership oil. However the wear data seem to suggest the oil is not protecting the engine as well as shorter change intervals. Are they bad enough to cause some sort of failure within a sane amount of mile on the car? Probably not.

Stereodude

Not really a
Video of the difference in the in cabin exhaust note of the B8.5 facelift S4 in the different modes.

[video=youtube;QrfLCZ5HhQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrfLCZ5HhQY[/video]

Handruin

Administrator
I can't tell a difference from the video and I can't tell that it's different from the 2012 and earlier. Debate is still out on the inclusion of a Soundaktor. Do we even know if all B8.5's come with the configuration option or does this only come with the Prestige, or Nav, or Sports Diff?

Stereodude

Not really a
Dynamic is definitely louder than Comfort in the video. Auto seemed pretty close to Dynamic. Maybe it was a little quieter. It wasn't entirely clear from the video.

No idea which cars will come with this option in the US. I'd think you'd need the Audi drive select controls to have that feature.

ddrueding

Fixture
AFAIK, Auto is the same as Comfort unless you go past the detent in the throttle or over 4500RPM, then it transitions to Dynamic. It may also be triggered by going to manual shifting in the DSG cars.

No reference, but I think it was mentioned in an episode of Fifth Gear.

Stereodude

Not really a
I got an e-mail from UPS notifying me of a 100lbs shipment sent to me with a scheduled delivery of 5/25. I'm guessing that it's my Forgestar F14 wheels.

Stereodude

Not really a
It's about 6 weeks from when I ordered. I got a shipping confirmation from ModBargains, so it is indeed the wheels.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I pinged my sales guy again today and he told me that arrival the week of July 9th is a solid date. My Forgestar wheels will arrive Friday. I plan to order my oCarbon "carbon fiber" trim next week. I also need to get another order in for some additional detailing supplies.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm going to have to call my sales woman since she's not responding to emails any more. I still haven't decided if I want to go with Forgestar wheels. I was leaning toward the Avant Garde Type M310 Wheels.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know what the right size is to fit the S4 in an 18" wheel, but whatever size that is. I was thinking hyper silver for the finish. I like the VRM V710 and also the V708 that you posted a long time back in this thread. I hadn't seen the Enkei wheels until now. Nice to see another option.

Stereodude

Not really a
You talking tire size or wheel size? 18x8 or 18x8.5 are the right wheel sizes. Tires should be 245/40/18. Offset is a bit more tricky to sort out.

Handruin

Administrator
You talking tire size or wheel size? 18x8 or 18x8.5 are the right wheel sizes. Tires should be 245/40/18. Offset is a bit more tricky to sort out.

Wheel size. I didn't know if 18x8 or 18x8.5 was correct, but thanks for clarifying. I'm assuming that if I go 18x8.5 that the odometer would be off slightly when using the 245/40/18? I have no idea what the correct offset would be, I'll need to read through the forums to find someone who has figured it out.

Stereodude

Not really a
The x8 or x8.5 is the width of the rim. It won't affect the speedometer accuracy since the diameter of the tire doesn't change. Offset is somewhat flexible depending on how far out you want to push the wheels to get a "flush" look. The factory 18" wheels are 8" wide with an offset of 47mm. The 19" wheels are 8.5" wide with an offset of 43mm but the 255mm tires are 5mm wider each side. People seem to run 5mm spacers front / 10mm rear with the 19" wheels or 15mm front / 20mm rear with the 18" wheels. That's why I went with a x8.5 with an offset of 38mm. They're rotatable (all the same size) and I can run a 5mm rear spacer if I really want. Since the 245s are narrower the rubber should be in the same relative spot on the outside as the stock 19" wheels so no chance of rubbing.