System Recommendation

ddrueding

Fixture
Shouldn't. IIRC, it is rated for lower power, but still way less than what your CPU should be pulling. I ran one on my "Home1" system (see sig) for a while without issue.

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Appears to be a relatively economical solution, not everyone is wanting to dissect their PSU to add a longer 4 pin molex loom, makes you wonder why the manufacturer didn't just add a few more centimeters of wire though doesn't it? ;)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Any point in installing the Intel Storage software/drivers if I am not running Raid?

tazwegion

According to Intel's product overview it is...

"Intel® Rapid Storage Technology offers new levels of protection, performance, and expandability for desktop and mobile platforms. Whether using one or multiple hard drives, users can take advantage of enhanced performance and lower power consumption. When using more than one drive, the user can have added protection against data loss in the event of a hard drive failure."

Full documentation @ Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting. But when you run their install CD, installing those drivers is set to 'no' by default. Guess they don't have a ton of confidence in their compatability but I'll turn'em on nonetheless.

If it were my system, it would be a no-brainer for me but I'm just thinking about my brother-in-law...

C

tazwegion

Try them and if you're not completely satisfied with the results return them for a full warranty refund, I mean uninstall/reconfigure ;)

In all reality, how much faster/better will it make your Bro-in-law's windows 7 experience anyway? mind you the improved data protection and reduced power consumption sound worthwhile...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Definitely agree with that. Wonder how they are reducing power consumption. The drives already spin-down automatically when not in use for a while.

tazwegion

Definitely agree with that. Wonder how they are reducing power consumption. The drives already spin-down automatically when not in use for a while.

"Intel Rapid Storage Technology provides benefits to users of single drives as well. Through AHCI, storage performance is improved with Native Command Queuing (NCQ). AHCI also delivers longer battery life with Link Power Management (LPM), which can reduce the power consumption of the chipset and Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive."

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
So I built the system. It was working great for me.

Brother-in-law takes it home. The one question he could not answer for me was whether or not his monitor has a VGA or DVI connection. The new system (motherboard) only has DVI. Turns out his monitor doesn't have DVI, so he had to go by a DVI-VGA adapter for the monitor. Now he's getting a blank monitor upon system boot. When he pulls the video cable, it then goes to 'no signal' on the screen. He's brining it back over but do you guys have any ideas on what might be wrong? I would have thought the DVI-VGA adapter would have worked.

Thanks,
C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
BTW, the motherboard output is DVI-I so I think I should be OK in that respect. Perhaps there's a specific VGA/DVI adapter that is required?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Screen resolution and Hertz are set too high. Plug it into a monitor and set it at a low resolution. 800x600, 60hertz should work.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Might be right but his monitor is probably newer than the one I used. I'm reading there is more than one type of DVI-VGA adapters out there, I'll keep researching that..

KCH

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
His monitor worked with the old system which was connected via VGA. Was working fine at the time he disconnected his old system from it.

I built up his system using my own monitor with DVI & then gave the system to him to connect to his monitor.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Turns out that the girl at Radio Shack had given him a DVI-A to VGA adapter when he actually needed at DVI-I to VGA adapter. All good now!