Friend of mine is ditching a ton of his e-waste, so now it gets to be my e-waste. At least his more or less works, and what may or may not will at least be useful for parts, unlike a lot of the junk that litters my home office that I haven't gotten around yet to recycling.
Laptops. I'm getting a bunch of laptops. Of particular interest are two Thinkpads and an Inspiron, though I'm also getting another Thinkpad and a Gateway2000 Solo that are of unknown providence but promise to be scores if they work at all.
First up is an Inspiron 7000. PII-300, unknown if it's the Tonga core or Dixon, with a 4 or 8 meg Rage Mobility P and ESS Maestro 2. I mostly wanted it because the battery still held a really good charge. It sat for like 20 minutes in the BIOS without either of us realizing while we talked about other things. The Maestro 2 is a disappointment in DOS and the Rage Mobility is mostly there to accelerate DVD playback -- it's best at playing things in software rendering. The Rage Pro and its ilk are such turds and they stuck around for far, FAR too long. 128 megs of RAM which is, you know, enough for this class of machine.
Interesting Thinkpad 1 is a 380D, with a 150MHz MMX, 80 megs of RAM I will probably immediately drop to 48 as soon as I can find a 32-meg module (the chipset can't cache more than 64, like most socket 7 machines). It has a Crystal 4236, which is notably NOT the bugged 4235 everyone hates, but it's still just a little off from a real OPL3, enough to probably annoy me. The screen has a blue line in it -- I can probably fix it with enough constant pressure somewhere specific. Video is a Neotragic, which... actually makes a lot more sense on a Socket 7-class machine than I really gave it credit for. Not much VRAM but you don't need much when you're only expecting to drive an 800x600 panel at 16-bit color, and apparently the VRAM has a ridiculously wide (for a 2D-only card) 128-bit path to the video chip, being on-package. Ahead of its time in a lot of ways.
Interesting Thinkpad numero deux is a T20. It has a Crystal CS4264, which supposedly is better in DOS than the Maestro 2, but that doesn't say a whole lot. It just shocks me that they didn't straight up use horrible terribad SoundMAX AC'97 codecs yet. Maybe they just didn't exist just yet in Y2K. Video is a S3 SavageIX8, which... I guess can do S3TC? ... It's... not as bad as a Rage Mobility, which were still being sold at this point? (glares at Dell) I just... like the T20 line of Thinkpads, in all honesty. Oh, and a Pentium III 700 and 256MB of RAM. I think the first-run T20s topped out at 750MHz chips, so it's whatever. At least it's Coppermine. I'll probably max it at 512.
Of unknown providence is a Thinkpad 760ELD with a Pentium... I think 100, and 16MB of RAM? Definitely has a Trident Cyber9320 (odd they used a TGUI9440-based SVGA chip on a Pentium, that seems like it'll be pokey) and ESS AudioDrive 1688. If this works... jackpot, because it also has the TFT screen. This takes a supposedly weird plug that he didn't have. I don't know if I'll jury rig something just to see if it works or if I'll chance buying a genuine supply off fleabay.
Also of unknown providence is a Gateway 2000 Solo 2100. This also has likely a Pentium 100 and 24 megs of RAM, paired with a Cirrus Logic 7548 and ESS AudioDrive 1888. Again, TFT screen. This is supposed to take a barrel jack he just doesn't have one that fit and didn't have a universal supply with the right tip.
The reason I'm so excited for the AudioDrive machines while I find the Maestro 2 to be ho-hum is that the Maestro 2 is a PCI chipset that ditches the ESFM that not only very closely mimics the OPL3 in compatibility mode, but is outright more advanced than and sounds better than it in a lot of cases. If that Maestro 2 had instead been a Solo-1 I would have been STOKED for the PII. The AudioDrives, being earlier ISA chipsets, do in fact implement it and it sounds VERY good. Honestly, the AudioDrive is probably my favorite ISA card -- very close OPL sound and can sound even better, good SBPro compatibility, and no bugs in its MPU401 implementation.
I'm lowballing the configs on the unknown ones because I don't want to get disappointed when they inevitably do turn out to be base model.