Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Based on my experience, I would assume the role is being a trainee, being trained to be a observer cleared for field operations... (Observing what, will be covered in the course material).

I'm starting to think this will not be good. :( Maybe I should take some time off.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
My excellent luck strikes again!

My $1065 video card (EVGA branded signature/SC, original 1st-gen Titan) purchased 5y3m ago just shit the bed. Three months after the extended warranty ended. I got "snow/static" on the screen then system crash. 4k monitor works fine via motherboard display port (DP) and CPU HD-4000 video. But only @ 30Hz instead of 60Hz.

I tried re-inserting card into slot and re-inserting 6-pin & 8-pin power connectors. I re-installed current video & monitor drivers. I tried an older 22" 1680x1050 monitor connected via DVD-D cable instead of 4k monitor. I installed video card in another computer and it wouldn't even POST. So no luck. I'll try an older driver and the original driver on original CD but doubt it will work.

--interesting observation--
The motherboard DP connector only works with intel video driver installed but DVD-D connector/monitor will work with generic Win7 driver.

Any other tech support suggestions? I hope and pray I'm just a retard and it's a simple fix, as I don't want to buy another video card. I don't game anymore so basic, 4k, 60Hz w/DP connector is fine.

-Never OC'd.
-No heavy bench-marking/stress testing.
-Never crypto-mined.
-No hard-core gaming (about 1.5yrs of light, 20-30min/day, MMO gaming).
-powered by super quality/highly rated, Seasonic 660w platinum PSU.

Also what's the current, cheapest, AMD & Nvidia video cards that will support 3840x2160x 60 Hz with "standard" DP connector? The Win7 UI is sluggish and only 30 Hz with the on-board video.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Sorry for your loss. The sudden crap-out seems to indicate a hardware failure, so unfortunately, all your time-consuming diagnostics were in vain. But at least you have on-board video to "limp along" until you find a replacement.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If your not gaming, why not just use the motherboard or CPU video. The CPU video might work better with the latest drivers installed.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
My excellent luck strikes again!

My $1065 video card (EVGA branded signature/SC, original 1st-gen Titan) purchased 5y3m ago just shit the bed. Three months after the extended warranty ended. I got "snow/static" on the screen then system crash. 4k monitor works fine via motherboard display port (DP) and CPU HD-4000 video. But only @ 30Hz instead of 60Hz.

I tried re-inserting card into slot and re-inserting 6-pin & 8-pin power connectors. I re-installed current video & monitor drivers. I tried an older 22" 1680x1050 monitor connected via DVD-D cable instead of 4k monitor. I installed video card in another computer and it wouldn't even POST. So no luck. I'll try an older driver and the original driver on original CD but doubt it will work.

--interesting observation--
The motherboard DP connector only works with intel video driver installed but DVD-D connector/monitor will work with generic Win7 driver.

Any other tech support suggestions? I hope and pray I'm just a retard and it's a simple fix, as I don't want to buy another video card. I don't game anymore so basic, 4k, 60Hz w/DP connector is fine.

-Never OC'd.
-No heavy bench-marking/stress testing.
-Never crypto-mined.
-No hard-core gaming (about 1.5yrs of light, 20-30min/day, MMO gaming).
-powered by super quality/highly rated, Seasonic 660w platinum PSU.

Also what's the current, cheapest, AMD & Nvidia video cards that will support 3840x2160x 60 Hz with "standard" DP connector? The Win7 UI is sluggish and only 30 Hz with the on-board video.
Something similar happened to me a month ago. The power briefly went off. Usually this is no big deal. Just turn the computer back on and all is well. This time around nothing happened. It wouldn't even post. No beeps, no nothing. I was thinking three possibilities-dead CPU, dead motherboard, dead power supply. I eliminated the power supply. Corrupt BIOS settings were another remote possibility. Fortunately, my M/B lets me reflash the BIOS even if there is no CPU or RAM. I tried this. Still no luck, but since it apparently worked according to the M/B manual, with the LED on the M/B flashing as expected, this more or less eliminated the M/B as the source of the problems. So I figured dead CPU. This is where the drama begins.

I figured since my M/B can handle an A10-6800K I might as well get that instead of the A10-5800K I was using. So I find a good deal on eBay. The box arrives, and guess what? They sent an A8-5600K. Since it wasn't the part I wanted, and I asked for a return, I didn't bother trying it in the motherboard to see if it fixed my problem. Good news is the seller did in fact issue me a refund, but I was still in the dark about whether or not the APU was really the problem.

At that point I was figuring why not get a new M/B just in case that's the problem? So I order an ASUS Crossblade Ranger from Newegg. This board is very similar to my F2A85-V Pro in terms of expansion slots, SATA ports, and USB ports. I can also reuse my old RAM. It's socket FM2+, which offers the possibility to use newer APUs if my APU is indeed bad. Now it gets even more interesting. Tracking says the package was delivered but nothing is on my doorstep. I checked about 10 minutes after the time it was supposedly delivered. OK, sometimes Fedex marks a package as delivered but doesn't deliver it until later, so I figured I'll wait until 8 or 9. Still nothing. Nothing the next day, also. I file a claim with Newegg and they eventually send out a replacement motherboard.

It gets even better. Once I installed my new M/B and put in my old CPU the machine was still dead. The LEDs and fan were pulsing on and off, so my thoughts were bad power supply. I tried an old power supply with my old M/B and the incorrect CPU I had gotten on eBay. Good thing I didn't get the tracking number to return it yet. My old M/B worked fine, so I figured I had a bad power supply. I picked up a new one at Microcenter. Same deal. The new M/B still wouldn't fire up.

I decided on a whim to try that CPU which I had gotten on eBay in the new M/B instead of my old CPU. I knew this CPU worked just fine in my old M/B, so it's a known good CPU. Turns out it works fine in the new M/B as well. It also turns out that my old power supply works just fine. So really the only problem was a bad CPU, as I had suspected in the first place. Had the eBay seller sent me the correct CPU I would have swapped out CPUs and and my machine would have been back days ago. I never would have ordered the new M/B or power supply. So basically this entire thing mushroomed out of control because the eBay seller sent me the incorrect CPU. As it wasn't the part I ordered, I initially didn't want to bother swapping CPUs since I was going to send it back anyway.

The silver lining around the dark cloud was I figured a new power supply and M/B wouldn't hurt at this point since the system was 5.5 years old. Since the new M/B was socket FM2+ I ordered an A10-7870K which is a pretty decent upgrade over my old A10-5800K. I got it new on eBay for $116 shipped. Total I spent was about $340. With all the fiascoes it took over 3 weeks from the time the system crapped out until it was back, but it's more stable than ever. For a long time my old system was occasionally spontaneously rebooting. That was probably a sign the APU was on its way out. The new APU also seems to use less power. My temps are a good 10° to 15° less than before. I rarely get over 60°C, and most of the time I'm in the low 40s. Once RAM prices drop I'm upgrading from DDR3 1600 to DDR3 2400 as APUs benefit greatly from faster RAM. Once I do that, I essentially have enough leftover parts to build another system. I would just need to buy an APU. I have my old M/B, power supply, and RAM.

The big question a lot of people might be asking is why didn't I just go for a Ryzen APU since I was changing out everything anyhow? This would have offered about twice the GPU grunt as the A10-7870K. Several reasons for that. One, the AM4 motherboards cost a bit more. Two, there might not be drivers for Windows 7, and I'm in no mood to upgrade my O/S. Three, I would have had to get new RAM as the AM4 platforms need DDR4. With RAM prices through the roof, this is the worst possible time to buy RAM. Four, I don't really need the extra GPU power anyway. Five, as good as they are, Ryzen APUs will only get better. Maybe in a few years I'll consider building a Ryzen platform. Some improvements I've heard are in the pipeline for Ryzen are a process shrink to 7 nm, possibly more cores, and integrated HBM.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Wow, epic saga. At least you had the smarts, fortitude and patience to see it through to the silver lining.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow, epic saga. At least you had the smarts, fortitude and patience to see it through to the silver lining.
And on top of all that, I was sick most of the 3 weeks the system was down. Not sure what exactly, but I had virtually no energy, plus a fever which hit 103°F a few times. I also had to take care of my mother while all this was going on. At this point she's not really able to walk without assistance. So I basically have to wheel her around the house, put her on and off the toilet, into bed, into the shower, etc. Not easy to do when being sick has you feeling like going back to bed right after you wake up. Thankfully, I'm mostly feeling better finally. My brother thinks it may have been a respiratory virus, or even an allergy. I'm normally not allergic to pollen but the pollen counts this year are off the charts.

Like you said though, at least there was the silver lining. I essentially have a new system. The driver installation went pretty smoothly once all the parts were in. It booted into Windows 7 without the drivers. Once I installed the drivers for the chipset, LAN, USB3, and graphics all was well.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Welcome back jtr.

Sorry for your loss. The sudden crap-out seems to indicate a hardware failure, so unfortunately, all your time-consuming diagnostics were in vain. But at least you have on-board video to "limp along" until you find a replacement.

Are video cards even repairable? I always have the worst luck with CS reps so I doubt EVGA will do anything. I could have swore I bought the 10y warranty but alas I only paid $30 to get bumped to 5y.

If your not gaming, why not just use the motherboard or CPU video. The CPU video might work better with the latest drivers installed.

That's what I'm doing now. Using the motherboard intel HD-4000 cpu graphics w/current intel drivers. If I was able to run 4k @ 60 Hz with motherboard graphics I probably wouldn't care much that my card died as I no longer game. Motherboard graphics only allow 30 Hz @ 4k resolution.

Just suxs that my $1000+ card died simply running the windows UI. The Titan would down-clock to about 350 MHz (40% of stock clock, and about 30% of the SC speed) so it wasn't even stressed that much. /Sigh.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Welcome back jtr.
Thanks! Been gone a while because of my mother. She was in the hospital with a cranial hematoma in November, then in rehab for ~2 months. The workload taking care of her now is a bit more than it was the past 3 years. Not sure if she'll be able to walk independently again but we'll be seeing an orthopedist for that.

Are video cards even repairable? I always have the worst luck with CS reps so I doubt EVGA will do anything. I could have swore I bought the 10y warranty but alas I only paid $30 to get bumped to 5y.
I might look for bulging caps. I remember fixing an old M/B which had bad caps. Failing that, you might want to do a search to see the most common failure modes for that card. Obviously if one of the chips failed then it's beyond repair but perhaps a part failed which you can replace.

Bad time to be buying a new graphics card the way mining has sent the prices to the stratosphere.

Stereodude

Not really a
Why do you need a $1k video card to run the Windows UI? :scratch:

On an unrelated note, I made it back to the states yesterday from Europe. It's always good to come home.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

On an unrelated note, I made it back to the states yesterday from Europe. It's always good to come home.
I would guess, at the time it was the only (easily available) card that could do 4K @ 60Hz ...

These days, pretty much any card that supports HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.4 will do 4K@60Hz. (eg nVidia 1050GTX Ti - RRP ~US$199 ).

Glad you had a safe trip...

Handruin

Administrator
Sorry to learn your GPU shit itself. Maybe try reaching out to EVGA and see if they would help you out even being just outside your warranty.

The only other thing I can think of might be the PSU is having some trouble supplying the proper current to the card or something related to its power management is not operating correctly. Even though you bought a high quality PSU it might be worth finding a way to verify that it's not the issue. Though you said you tried this card in another system and it won't post so it may not be the PSU.

LunarMist

I'd be satisfied with 5 years continuous use. At that point hasn't the technology improved substantially so that the $1000 card can be replaced for only $200 or a $1000 card is far more powerful?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks! Been gone a while because of my mother.

I might look for bulging caps. I remember fixing an old M/B which had bad caps. Failing that, you might want to do a search to see the most common failure modes for that card. Obviously if one of the chips failed then it's beyond repair but perhaps a part failed which you can replace.

Bad time to be buying a new graphics card the way mining has sent the prices to the stratosphere.

Sorry to hear about your mother. My mom is 82 now. So I'll be where your at in 4 or 5 years. As far as the video card goes the front is completely covered by the HSF and the rear is all surface mount components. I don't have the skill/tools to fix any blown parts. Pics of Titan here.

Well I was gaming with the card 2-5 years ago, it's just the last couple years that I completely stopped all gaming. The Titan idles while rendering a desktop UI so it was probably running at half (or less) of it's base clock of 837 MHz and a lot less than the 1045 MHz my Sig/SC card ran at. That's why I'm disappointed it failed.

These days, pretty much any card that supports HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.4 will do 4K@60Hz. (eg nVidia 1050GTX Ti - RRP ~US$199 ).

I've learned a GT1030 will do 4k@ 60Hz. Like you said if it has a HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.4 port you are good to go. This MSI 1030 is $91. MSI 1030 Specs.

Sorry to learn your GPU shit itself. Maybe try reaching out to EVGA and see if they would help you out even being just outside your warranty.

The only other thing I can think of might be the PSU is having some trouble supplying the proper current to the card or something related to its power management is not operating correctly. Even though you bought a high quality PSU it might be worth finding a way to verify that it's not the issue. Though you said you tried this card in another system and it won't post so it may not be the PSU.

I thought there could be a slight chance it could be the PSU, but when I plugged the Titan into a second computer I all but eliminated that idea. Doubtful that two high quality Seasonic PSUs (660w platinum and X-650 gold) could both be faulty.

I did reach out the EVGA and got an email from a rep asking what happened. Haven't heard back yet. I'm hopeful. <fingers crossed>

Time to break out the toaster oven and reflow it. :bomb:

If I get no cost effective remedy from EVGA and if I thought i'd work I'd go buy a toaster oven and cook it. LOL.

I'd be satisfied with 5 years continuous use. At that point hasn't the technology improved substantially so that the $1000 card can be replaced for only $200 or a $1000 card is far more powerful?

I don't think a $200 card can quite match an original Titan, but a $200 card is definitely faster than 1/5 a Titan. I would think that the original Titans might hold some value as their double-precision performance is very good compared to recent cards?

A pic of what the screen looks like:
blue snow.JPG

I did learn something interesting about the windows snipping tool. When I snipped a pic containing the blue snow and looked at the capture while using the working motherboard/CPU graphics there was no snow in the pic. I got the blue snow pick by taking a pic of the screen with my camera. So the snipping tool must grab an image from the computer's memory and not the faulty video card memory? Any thoughts?

LunarMist

We saw some of his semifinal against Marin Čilić.

Didn't see the final, but no question he deserved his twentieth. Can't think of any other male who has dominated such an athletic sport for so long. Very nearly the oldest Grand Slam winner of all time, only pipped by Ken Rosewall back in 1972 at the age of 37. And with all deference to Ken (whom I idolized as a little kid - I even had one of his signature racquets), his level of athleticism was nowhere near Roger's.

At 36 and six months, Roger Federer is still number two in the world. He was almost number one yet again in 2017, save for his withdrawal from the Cinnicannti Masters to try to rest before the US Open. That's after massive downtime in 2016 including knee surgery and ultimately having to take six months off after a re-occurrence.

He has also been voted by his peers to receive the tour Sportsmanship Award a record thirteen times. That attitude in particular is what makes Roger Federer the ultimate sporting hero.

After taking 3 months off to skip the clay court season and now winning Stuttgart, Fed will be number 1 again on Monday as a 36.9 yo. :D

forstory

What is this storage?
After taking 3 months off to skip the clay court season and now winning Stuttgart, Fed will be number 1 again on Monday as a 36.9 yo. :D

Probably one of the few exceptions where a legend doesn't actually become a thing of the past in the sporting industry. Pretty amazing though, being a fan of his since the days he was an active number 1 by far, only losing to Nadal occasionally on the clay court, to the days of 'retirement' and major upsets where he struggled with injuries and other issues, to the numerous failed attempts at a comeback, to finally returning again to his rightful place.

LunarMist

Does everyone use the Linkin? HR just assumes we are on it. I dislike all the socialism media sites. :max:

Stereodude

Not really a
That's scary. I'm trying to maintain a low profile.
He means he obtained employment via someone seeing his LinkedIn Profile and sending him a message. Not that his current employer found his secret LinkedIn page and linked it to him.

I also got my current job courtesy of a HR person contacting me via LinkedIn.

LunarMist

Oh, I see.

The problem is that I am supposed to check somebody's Linkin, but I cannot see it for more than a second. The site wants me to login or join. :(

Handruin

Administrator
Make a burner email account and do it that way. There are plenty of temp email services online.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm similar to LM... very few social media sites... (only G+ with an empty landing page - only created at the time when Google made it mandatory to create a G+ account to properly configure you google account settings).

no Facebook, no VKontakte, no LinkedIn, no MySpace, no Twitter, no Instagram, no Pinterest, ...

I do have public GitHub and Sourceforge accounts...

Handruin

Administrator
I'm similar to LM... very few social media sites... (only G+ with an empty landing page - only created at the time when Google made it mandatory to create a G+ account to properly configure you google account settings).

no Facebook, no VKontakte, no LinkedIn, no MySpace, no Twitter, no Instagram, no Pinterest, ...

I do have public GitHub and Sourceforge accounts...

I don't categorize GitHub or any other public SCM as social media but I get why it's a consideration in a similar context. I've never even heard of VKontakte I had to look that one up.

LunarMist

I don't categorize GitHub or any other public SCM as social media but I get why it's a consideration in a similar context. I've never even heard of VKontakte I had to look that one up.

Is SF a socialimedia site?

Handruin

Administrator
If you're referring to here (storageforum) I agree that it is a social medium but with more anonymity and no harvesting of information to be sold as a product. The typical referral to social media (as I perceive it) are websites/corporations where you link a real identity and associate with friends and family that you may have associated with in present and past. Those sites that offer a social media experience often times use your data/metrics as an income source where as this may be less or nonexistent with a forum like here.

If your reference to "SF" was specific to Chewy's mention of Sourceforge, that site is a different story and I no longer consider it a viable resource for source control management.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
If your reference to "SF" was specific to Chewy's mention of Sourceforge, that site is a different story and I no longer consider it a viable resource for source control management.

So, the current popular SCM's for FOSS projects are GitHub, GitLab and BitBucket...

Sourceforge (SF.net) once was king, but due to mismanagement by prior owners caused a massive loss of mindshare (and rightly so)...

SF.net (by extension slashdot.org) got new owners in 2016, which cleaned up SF.net significantly... While I could certainly understand you're view point prior to 2016 (under old management), does your view continue with the new management, despite pretty much fixing everything that caused it's downfall in 2014-2016? (eg no more bundled adware with installers, significant auditing of binary uploads to avoid malware, auditing of accounts/source code to ensure compliance with licenses, etc).

Also, what are your thoughts on Microsoft's recent acquisition of GitHub? Would you consider GitHub to be a viable SCM under MS? (based on MS's past actions both as a International corporation, in addition to how they have handled the acquisitions of both Skype and LinkedIn)?

Handruin

Administrator
So, the current popular SCM's for FOSS projects are GitHub, GitLab and BitBucket...

Sourceforge (SF.net) once was king, but due to mismanagement by prior owners caused a massive loss of mindshare (and rightly so)...

SF.net (by extension slashdot.org) got new owners in 2016, which cleaned up SF.net significantly... While I could certainly understand you're view point prior to 2016 (under old management), does your view continue with the new management, despite pretty much fixing everything that caused it's downfall in 2014-2016? (eg no more bundled adware with installers, significant auditing of binary uploads to avoid malware, auditing of accounts/source code to ensure compliance with licenses, etc).

Also, what are your thoughts on Microsoft's recent acquisition of GitHub? Would you consider GitHub to be a viable SCM under MS? (based on MS's past actions both as a International corporation, in addition to how they have handled the acquisitions of both Skype and LinkedIn)?

I'm aware they're under new management and trying to regain the trust of developers but the crap they pulled was inexcusable and left a bad taste in the mouths of developers that they aren't worth my time to considering any further. There are enough other options with better workflow and UI design that Sourceforge really isn't a contender.

My views on Microsoft buying Github are positive. I'm on the side of the fence that believes this is a good thing and I don't have any immediate concerns. I don't do much development with Microsoft's tools/frameworks these days but I do still follow the community and key players in that area via blogs, websites, and podcasts. Microsoft has been eating their own dog food with Github and Git for quite some time and they also have the largest git repo of anyone else out there for the Windows source. So large in fact that they even went on to deal with this by creating the Git Virtual Filesystem that Github has since supported. Their developers use Git, use Github, and are actively contributing. Making huge changes or ruining this would piss off their own developers let alone the remaining open source communities. I'm not saying they can't screw this up but they have a decent stake in this already.

In addition to their vested interest, they chose a great candidate to lead the role of CEO via Nat Friedman, the former founder of Xamarin (commercial support for Mono). His personal viewpoint on the proposal for acquisition of Github is to earn the community's trust. In his Reddit AMA he can be quoted saying

Developers are independent thinkers and will always have a healthy degree of skepticism, but I admit I was sad to see that some felt compelled to move their code. I take the responsibility of earning their trust seriously..

Words are cheap and time will certainly tell once the acquisition is approved and completed. I believe Microsoft will leave them alone and/or improve their service. Microsoft has a different business strategy these days and as much as any of us would like to hate on their practices with Windows they are doing a decent job in a lot of other areas that their business income is less dependant on the Windows OS and more on Services such as Azure, Xbox, etc.

If Microsoft does end up ruining Github, it will not be difficult to move/clone a git repo over to a self-hosted Gitlab repo and continue there. We use Gitlab at work in a self-hosted deployment and it works fine with mirroring repos from Github and the likes. We do this to have consistent builds of certain open source components in the event Github or some other repo is unavailable. My point being is that Github is a good utility and service but it's not proprietary in a way that you have vendor lock-in. If Microsoft tries to go that route, people will easily leave in a hurry.

I can't speak greatly to how MS handled Skype and LinkedIn. I do feel as though Skype was ruined for me with how that platform evolved but I've heard they improved it in recent times...though I've not used it to confirm this. LinkedIn didn't really change for me after the acquisition in 2016. I never really used it much so that could be my own ignorance and lack of use to notice any changes they may have made. I'm not defending anything they did, I just don't know enough to have a useful comment.

What are your thoughts on the Github acquisition and that of the Skype/LinkedIn acquisitions over time?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
What are your thoughts on the Github acquisition and that of the Skype/LinkedIn acquisitions over time?
Can't comment on LinkedIn (not a user), and Skype I only use in a limited fashion (kids, wife and I video chat with my parents about once a fortnight via Skype, since they live 1.5K kms away). Skype has been good so far, but the last UI update left us all a little confused... But overall Skype has (I think) managed well.

But back on topic, MS buying GitHub...

Overall, I think it's a positive move for GitHub itself to allow continuation of what many would consider a now vital service. (How much $$$ did they have left in the bank, and how long could their business continue)? So many popular FOSS projects are hosted there... It would be interesting to see their actual P&L statements.

As for developers/users, I don't MS will change much in the short term, the new/old management teams and the staff that look after the hosting services need time to work together before anything can really happen... Long term, I certainly can see MS extending GitHub so that certain features are primarily only available through their own tools (eg Visual Studio). I'm thinking more along the lines of issue management, wiki updates, release updates/archives, gists, etc, and not the core source repository access. (If MS stuffed around with the methods to access the source-code, well, IMHO that would kill GitHub over night)...

Now for medium/large/popular projects, the cost with moving to another platform, is not the source code itself, but all the ancillary items like the issue tracker, wiki, gists, releases, links with forks, gh-pages, etc... and this will be where GitHub can create vendor-lock-in...

Short-term, I think it's positive that MS bought them (hate to think what would happen if another vendor bought them, eg Oracle), but long-term, I'm fairly confident that MS (under the current CEO and board) will handle it with care, in order to not lose mind share that they are building with the FOSS community... But what happens if GitHub can't support itself long-term financially, and a new CEO/board doesn't like that?

Personally, the projects I've got hosted on GitHub will remain for the foreseeable future...

PS. I've read quite a few papers on Git Virtual Filesystem (a good intro article was in the ACM Communications magazine a few months ago, and I think Ars even covered it as well), very-very interesting technology.

LunarMist

MS managed to alienate both consumer and business users with the Skype screwups.