Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
Oh, that is no good. Just some of the security can be an issue, though it changed again in 2014. I have not been there yet in 2017 though.
Supposedly my bag will arrive the local airport tonight at 10:20pm'ish local time. I'm not sure when it will get to my hotel. I expect tomorrow.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Supposedly my bag will arrive the local airport tonight at 10:20pm'ish local time. I'm not sure when it will get to my hotel. I expect tomorrow.

That's not bad, but expected if in Europe. Did you bring critical items onboard? I hope they fly you in Business class.

Stereodude

Not really a
Did you bring critical items onboard? I hope they fly you in Business class.
No to both of those. I've not had this problem with my bags before so I was not as careful in the distribution of my items as I probably should have been.

And business class. Ahahaha, no. I've never worked for any company that would pay for that.

LunarMist

No to both of those. I've not had this problem with my bags before so I was not as careful in the distribution of my items as I probably should have been.

And business class. Ahahaha, no. I've never worked for any company that would pay for that.

Toothbrush, toothpaste, anti-perspirant, meds, and a pair of black nylon-spandex underwear are mandatory in my personal carry-ons.
On business travel I'll carry on the first day of clothes if it is a longer trip and I have checked luggage.

LunarMist

In person or conference calls?

Mostly they are by telepresence rather than in-person meetings, since I am at a satellite office for a while.
It's much better to meet in person, but sometimes there are people on 2-3 continents. The sound quality nowadays is often worse than in the 1930s, so communication is challenging.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope. Though I am a bit notorious for my battle against meetings. I find it far better to talk to a dozen people for 5 minutes each than have everyone sit in a room for an hour. And in the process save 11 hours of productivity.

LunarMist

Well that depends on how much interaction there should be between those 12 people.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Ebay prices for DDR3 RAM are ridiculous, but I think I managed to find a decent (sub $100 per kit) listing for a 2x8GB kit that should work with my board and have ample clearance for my CPU cooler if the sheet I cross-referenced is accurate. If it is in fact working with my board I'll grab another of the kits next week when I get paid again for 32GB total, assuming I can. I don't need 32GB right now but I can probably put it to use even if only for caching, and I have a feeling I'll need it sometime soon. I want to get it now while the getting's still semi-sane.

In other news having six whole Nehalem-competitive cores is unreal -- I don't think I've once managed to push this thing to 100% CPU usage since putting it in. I have a feeling that I'll have to become very intimitely acquainted with setting CPU affinity to get proper usage out of the cores, I think it may just be leaving the last two alone. With the higher-clocked DDR3 RAM I plan to OC the FSB to get it to 1600 and push the CPU a bit harder than just 2.8GHz since I now have ample thermal headroom. I think a 230-240MHz FSB clock should do it? I'll be sure to lower the hypertransport ratio to compensate (otherwise it'll run at, what, almost 3GHz itself?) Maybe a slight overvolt will help me. This is my first time messing with overclocking in any serious manner, but I'm not looking to get crazy performance, just push a 1055T to ~1090T levels of performance while actually running my RAM at its rated speed.

Stereodude

Not really a
6 whole cores? :rofl:

You don't need to do squat with affinity when you have 6 cores. If you have 20 cores each with HyperThreading then you may have do something.

LunarMist

I found on the hexacore Gulfton that a few programs were better with the hyperthreader off.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
The forum software probably trucnates your posts when it detects too many spelling snafus in order to spare you some embarassment. At least that's my theory.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Just to be sure I'm not misunderstood, like it so easy happens with written communication, I do find your posts entertaining. Some of your typos are true gems.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I used to like watching "House of Cards" on Netflix. It's a very well made TV series. However, even though the latest season has been available for some weeks on Netflix, I haven't even been tempted to watch it yet. Cable news about the White House these days is so much more entertaining. Reality has made an award-winning fictional show boring compared to it.

It's quite a feat.

LunarMist

The forum software probably trucnates your posts when it detects too many spelling snafus in order to spare you some embarassment. At least that's my theory.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: It seems to be mostly an Androids issue, but not always. Sometimes I am in process of drafting a post with two devices/computers at the same time, which probably is not the best plan.

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't know ways happening these days. Every German train I have been on today has been late. And here I thought the trains ran on time.

LunarMist

I don't know ways happening these days. Every German train I have been on today has been late. And here I thought the trains ran on time.

You work for the Germans? When I was stationed in West Germany the trains were decent, but I think they got worse after the reunification. Once I missed a connection through the Alps and did not have a sleeper. :(
I'd assume by now everything in the world is various degrees of inefficient crap. I try at all costs to avoid trains.

Stereodude

Not really a
You work for the Germans? When I was stationed in West Germany the trains were decent, but I think they got worse after the reunification. Once I missed a connection through the Alps and did not have a sleeper. :(
I'd assume by now everything in the world is various degrees of inefficient crap. I try at all costs to avoid trains.
No, I don't work for the Germans. However, I'm in Germany now for two weeks visiting one of the company's German offices. They were all a few minutes late. 5 minutes max, but when your train change is 11 or 12 minutes it matters.

Stereodude

Not really a
Ebay prices for DDR3 RAM are ridiculous, but I think I managed to find a decent (sub $100 per kit) listing for a 2x8GB kit that should work with my board and have ample clearance for my CPU cooler if the sheet I cross-referenced is accurate. If it is in fact working with my board I'll grab another of the kits next week when I get paid again for 32GB total, assuming I can. I don't need 32GB right now but I can probably put it to use even if only for caching, and I have a feeling I'll need it sometime soon. I want to get it now while the getting's still semi-sane.
I bought 32GB (4x8gB) of used DDR3 1866 registered server memory for $75 a few weeks ago on eBay. The prices of the standard consumer stuff is so much higher?