Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well, not exactly, but I think I need to hop back into my last field where they're not all in Asia.

From the training we had the millenniums move jobs often, so you can probably do it now rather than later.

LunarMist

That probably doesn't qualify for King of Thailands.
It appears that criticizing the monarchy is not allowed.

LunarMist

Super Typhoon Haima looks dangerous. I wonder whatever became of Paugie?

LunarMist

The internet seemed to be very slow lately. :(
If I have to evacuate maybe other regions have better.

LunarMist

The dementia is awful and getting worse. :( I don't know what to do about it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's deeply crappy, Chewy. I had something a bit similar happen, in that I lived for about a year beneath a drug dealer. But that's the sort of thing that really could happen anywhere.

Stereodude

Not really a
But that's the sort of thing that really could happen anywhere.
Not exactly. Own your own home and I guarantee you won't live above or below a drug dealer, unless you willingly have a drug dealing family member or roommate living in your house with you.

Handruin

Administrator
Not exactly. Own your own home and I guarantee you won't live above or below a drug dealer, unless you willingly have a drug dealing family member or roommate living in your house with you.

True but not everyone can afford a single family detached home.

LunarMist

Even so your next door neighbor can be a degenerate druggies or rent their house to degenerate druggies.

Mercutio

True but not everyone can afford a single family detached home.

My parents live in a house that is specifically not part of the homeowners association for the other homes in the neighborhood; the person who owned the property originally didn't include their private home when they sold the rest of their land to a developer. They've been involved in a low-level legal struggle with the HoA, seeking fees and regulation over their property since they moved in. In particular, my father built an addition to the garage on his property that his neighbor doesn't like. That's on the extreme far end of First World Problems, but if you're living with other human beings close enough to be called neighbors, you will at times have to deal with shitty ones, whether they're above you or on the far side of a corn field.

Handruin

Administrator
My parents live in a house that is specifically not part of the homeowners association for the other homes in the neighborhood; the person who owned the property originally didn't include their private home when they sold the rest of their land to a developer. They've been involved in a low-level legal struggle with the HoA, seeking fees and regulation over their property since they moved in. In particular, my father built an addition to the garage on his property that his neighbor doesn't like. That's on the extreme far end of First World Problems, but if you're living with other human beings close enough to be called neighbors, you will at times have to deal with shitty ones, whether they're above you or on the far side of a corn field.

That sounds like a pain. I grew up in a single family house that was next to neighbors who were a complete pain in the ass on so many petty levels. I agree that even having a detached house doesn't mean problems go away. Some get easier and some become more challenging. Being in the single family home allowed us to get away from them on some levels which was nicer.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
11 weeks of that and you didn't sit down and have a stern conversation with her freeloading self?
We did... multiple times...

One time lead to a huge fight between my wife and her mum... (at about week 5). And after that, we just let it drop as the household was becoming a nearly unlivable. At this point we had a hearing date for eviction, so we essentially kept quiet for 6 weeks until the process went through...

LunarMist

We did... multiple times...

One time lead to a huge fight between my wife and her mum... (at about week 5). And after that, we just let it drop as the household was becoming a nearly unlivable. At this point we had a hearing date for eviction, so we essentially kept quiet for 6 weeks until the process went through...

Considering your wife's condition, WTF is wrong with her mother?
I hope the kids are not too affected by the environment. :(

LunarMist

What does it mean when I get this stupid message at a forum?

Code:
Can't Connect to Database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Are they under attack or something?

LunarMist

I thought it was the North Koreans? Or was it the people from Sealand? Actually I think it was the Republic of Zaqistan! Yep, Zaqistan!

I don't know. It's a fairly large site with >100,000 membership.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Worked out why I was stuck on the LTS kernel.

The edd=off, noapic, modprobe.blacklist=pinctrl_cherryview parameters, necessary to boot and have a functioning system on the normal 4.7.2 kernel and LTS kernels, are no longer necessary with 4.8+ and now actively cause it to hang while loading the initial ram filesystem.

Now I'm happily running the linux-ck-silvermont kernel.

Mercutio

Did anyone else get treated to two solid hours of neighborhood fireworks and/or random celebratory gunfire last night?