Something Random

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Moderate amounts of sugar, salt and animal protein are fine. But colas are so bad on so many levels, STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!

fb

Storage is cool
I used to drink a lot of coca cola but I've always kept away from "light" or "zero" stuff. A while ago I tried to only drink water and the result is that I can't almost stand the taste of cola/any soda, because the sugar feels like glue in the mouth.

Handruin

Administrator
I used to drink a lot of Coke Zero because it was my treat. Even though I enjoy it, my stomach didn't. I've since switched to Polar seltzer which is basically carbonated water with no calories or artificial stuff. I also drink a lot of Pure Leaf unsweetened ice tea.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I used to go to Costco and buy multiple cases of coke, dr pepper, 7-up, root beer, hawaiian punch, etc, etc. That was 12 years ago. I only drink water now and coffee on the days I work. I do "treat" myself to a coke when I go out to eat and it's SOOOOOOOOOOOO good. I went from 20-30 cans/week down to maybe 1/week.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I used to drink a lot of coca cola but I've always kept away from "light" or "zero" stuff. A while ago I tried to only drink water and the result is that I can't almost stand the taste of cola/any soda, because the sugar feels like glue in the mouth.

I stopped drinking the sugar version around 1978, when I was getting what I thought was a bit a bit heavy at the time.
Sometimes there is only the sugar version in the developer countries and it is so heavy and messes with energy levels, that I hate it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I stopped drinking the sugar version around 1978, when I was getting what I thought was a bit a bit heavy at the time.
Sometimes there is only the sugar version in the developer countries and it is so heavy and messes with energy levels, that I hate it.

The drinks with real sugar are less confusing to your body. Artificial sweeteners can have a disproportionate impact on weight gain than real sugar.

I mainly drink water.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
National Weather Service, Melbourne, Florida:

"WIDESPREAD EXTENSIVE TO DEVASTATING WIND IMPACTS WILL BE FELT.
AIRBORNE DEBRIS LOFTED BY EXTREME WINDS WILL BE CAPABLE OF BREACHING
STRUCTURES, UNPROTECTED WINDOWS AND VEHICLES. EFFECTS SUCH AS THESE
RANGING FROM THE COAST TO WELL INLAND HAVE NOT BEEN EXPERIENCED IN
CENTRAL FLORIDA IN DECADES.

LOCAL WINDS WILL EXCEED WHAT OCCURRED DURING THE HURRICANES OF
2004. ANY EVACUATIONS AND STRUCTURE PREPARATION SHOULD BE COMPLETED
THIS AFTERNOON. TRAVEL WILL BE STRONGLY DISCOURAGED BEGINNING AT DUSK.
EXPECT WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES. "

Not sure if we have anyone in the path of this one but looks like it's going to cause an absolute shitload of damage.

Edit to add link: https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...ew-bahamas-florida-georgia-carolinas-forecast

LunarMist

National Weather Service, Melbourne, Florida:

"WIDESPREAD EXTENSIVE TO DEVASTATING WIND IMPACTS WILL BE FELT.
AIRBORNE DEBRIS LOFTED BY EXTREME WINDS WILL BE CAPABLE OF BREACHING
STRUCTURES, UNPROTECTED WINDOWS AND VEHICLES. EFFECTS SUCH AS THESE
RANGING FROM THE COAST TO WELL INLAND HAVE NOT BEEN EXPERIENCED IN
CENTRAL FLORIDA IN DECADES.

LOCAL WINDS WILL EXCEED WHAT OCCURRED DURING THE HURRICANES OF
2004. ANY EVACUATIONS AND STRUCTURE PREPARATION SHOULD BE COMPLETED
THIS AFTERNOON. TRAVEL WILL BE STRONGLY DISCOURAGED BEGINNING AT DUSK.
EXPECT WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES. "

Not sure if we have anyone in the path of this one but looks like it's going to cause an absolute shitload of damage.

Edit to add link: https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...ew-bahamas-florida-georgia-carolinas-forecast

Yeah, It's about time for a big one. Practically everything up to NC has been cancelled. :(
I hope Wilmington is normal by the 17th.

Handruin

Administrator
Used to be I couldn't handle a single Altoid. Now I can eat a whole tin without noticing. Is it just me or did they get weaker?

I used to consider it a challenge, now they don't feel much stronger than one of those Icebreaker things.

I agree...I used to think they were much stronger but now it's no big deal if I put 5-6 in my mouth at once.

LunarMist

It seems like the FTD is bad. I'm not sure if it worse than the Alzheimers or not.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The drinks with real sugar are less confusing to your body. Artificial sweeteners can have a disproportionate impact on weight gain than real sugar.

This.

Diet sodas are probably worse for you than regular sodas. You can actually get real sugar, and not HFCS, cokes. Just buy the Mexican made coca-colas in glass bottles.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Used to be I couldn't handle a single Altoid. Now I can eat a whole tin without noticing. Is it just me or did they get weaker?

I consume Altoids on a daily basis. I can't say if they are getting "weaker" or not, but it's no longer, "Oh God, Oh God. OOOHHHH GOOOOD!!!!!!!" if I put 3 cinnamon mints in my mouth at the same time.

I think it's something you can get used to, like spicy foods.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The last Ford made in Australia rolled of the assembly line. Ford, GM Holden, Toyota have all ceased manufacturing in Oz.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
In other news, more and more websites are refusing me access because I have Ad Blocker. This has become very aggressive lately. Grrrrr.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
In other news, more and more websites are refusing me access because I have Ad Blocker. This has become very aggressive lately. Grrrrr.

I use uBlock Origin and I don't think I've had a single website flat-out refuse to serve me in a few years now. Obviously I've only switched to uBlock recently, though. It tends to be lighter than Adblock or Adblock Plus/Edge.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
That's pretty amazing. Who still manufactures there?
AFAIK, no car manufacturer. That's pretty telling. But the aussies here can inform you better.

I use uBlock Origin and I don't think I've had a single website flat-out refuse to serve me in a few years now. Obviously I've only switched to uBlock recently, though. It tends to be lighter than Adblock or Adblock Plus/Edge.
Thanks, Sed. I'll have to try it and see.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital

The current state of affairs seems to be that we need an Anti-Anti-Adblock. There's a Greasemonkey script that handles it.

Also, there's nothing particularly better about uBlock Origin in my experience, except that you don't have to un-tick the box to disable acceptable ads. Otherwise it uses more or less the same subscription lists. The people who are whining about Adblock Plus are the sorts who were whining about Linux distros having "Commercial" software for including Firefox a decade ago. I recommend ABP for consistency (it's available for all major browsers including Edge and IE, and not just Chrome/Firefox) and because, as a commercial entity, it seems to be the only large organization being actively antagonistic to online advertising services. I approve of that.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
All the auto companies figured out that China was a better market to invest in than Australia.
More likely, it's Thailand, Japan, Mexico and Korea.
The only Chinese made cars we have are direct from Great Wall/Havel and Cherry (both Chinese companies) and some VWs.
I'm sure other manufacturers build in China for parts, but assembly is rarely done in China itself.

Mercutio

Went to see Das Rheingold today, the first opera in Wagner's Ring Cycle (Lyric Opera will be performing the whole cycle leading up to a complete performance of the whole thing in 2020). First thing is, the stagecraft was breathtaking, especially since the performance didn't include an intermission. That's not normally the first thing I'd comment on, but man was it cool. They used 30 foot scaffolds with heads on them to represent the giants and had their Nixies out on movable gantries to simulate their underwater world.
What I will comment on, because I doubt very many people in the audience got the joke, is how Donner (Thor) was costumed: Grey undershirt, grey pants, blue-grey breastplate, red cape. Yeah, the costume designer lifted the colors and basic outfit from the movies. Awesome.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Well, GM is building cars in China and exporting them to the US now. I'm sure it's only going to proliferate.
I was under the impression most US GM was made in Mexico or Europe? To be honest, I'm not surprised by the shift to Chinese manufacturing.

With Holden (GM Holden Australia) we have:

Barina/Spark : Korea. (Daewoo/GM Korea)
Astra: Poland/UK (Opel)
Captiva: Korea. (Daewoo/GM Korea)
Colorado: Thailand (joint venture with Isuzu)
Commodore: Australia (until '17)
Cruze: Austalian (until late '16), then possible Korea or China. (suspect GM Korea)
Trax: Korea (GM Korea).
Commodore Ute: Australia (until '17)

Looking further, GM Holden Australia are still making the chassis/body for the Commodore and Ute locally until early-'17, however pretty much everything else (engine, transmission, suspension, etc) is sourced overseas.

A lot of the Chinese entrants on the Australian market (Great Wall/Havel and Cherry) are seen as cheap, unreliable throw-away cars... so the Australian public won't look to highly on Chinese manufactured vehicles, even when re-branded with a more trusted domestic brand.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The current state of affairs seems to be that we need an Anti-Anti-Adblock. There's a Greasemonkey script that handles it.

I recommend ABP ...

ABP is what I use. Link for the Greasemonkey script, please? Is Greasemonky only for Firefox?

I was under the impression most US GM was made in Mexico or Europe? To be honest, I'm not surprised by the shift to Chinese manufacturing.
There is a huge movement here against China because of their bullying others in the region. I keep telling them good luck. Almost every damn mobile or computing equipment you buy today is made in China. Including the all-American iPhone. Easy to have the sentiment, extremely difficult to practice. Someday China will implode, causing grief to themselves and a lot of the rest of the world, and things will slowly become more rational.

LunarMist

Isn't there a thread for ADblockers, or could there be to keep it all in one place?

LunarMist

This.

Diet sodas are probably worse for you than regular sodas. You can actually get real sugar, and not HFCS, cokes. Just buy the Mexican made coca-colas in glass bottles.

Glass is rather impractical. Anyway, I know that I started feeling better after drinking the diet sodas as an undergrad.
Back then I was rather healthy and would not even start in with the sugars/calories today. It made me hyper enough back then and tired in the late afternoon classes. :lol:

Mercutio

Isn't there a thread for ADblockers, or could there be to keep it all in one place?

I'll write up something later. Greasemonkey is something you should have installed if you browse the web regardless. The issue is that you need the blocker-blocker outside your ad blocker because that's what they're testing for in their hostile scripts.

Stereodude

Not really a
The Buick Envision that Clocker worked on is the first US sold GM car made in China. Reportedly, one of the CT6 variants is going to be made in China also. GM sells vehicles in the US that were made in in the US, Europe, Canada, Mexico, Korea, Australia, and now China.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Got woken up by an emergency alert, an Amber Alert from Tennessee. I had my phone set to silent except for my alarm, and the tone used for emergencies is rather spooky if you're half asleep and don't know what the tone is for. So, despite the fact that for the first time in a while I'd gone to bed at a decent time, I still slept like I had gone to bed at four in the morning.