Something Random

sedrosken

Florida Man
Metro College isn't going to work out, I have 8AM classes and I'm not capable of running on >4 hours of sleep with any regularity.

Went to bed at midnight, orientation went until 11 and then I wanted to grab a pizza. Woke up at 4, the A/C had cut out and I felt like I was suffocating. To clarify, I'm one of those people that have to have a fan trained on them when they sleep. Fixed the A/C so it turned back on and tried to go back to sleep. Couldn't. Decided to start my second day. Thankfully I'll be able to go home around three or so. Scheduling classes was actually easier than it seemed like it would be. Times are a bit weird but they're the only times I could get to mesh with each other without conflict while still remaining within realistic bounds for me. A couple of my evenings are completely free but sadly as mentioned I must be awake by 7AM or so every weekday but Tuesday, when I can sleep in till 11AM. Pretty sure I won't have trouble finding part-time work to fit my schedule though. A couple will be cutting it a little close with break times between but I'll be fine, the campus is pretty easily navigated.

It's not finalized yet, but my schedule as it is now is Campus Culture 100 (a mandatory class) Fri 1:00PM-2:15PM, Chemistry 201 Tue, Thur 5:30PM-6:45PM with mandatory recitation from Tue 7:00PM-7:50PM, Communications 201 Mon 5:30PM-8:15PM, English 101 Mon, Wed, Fri 12:00PM-12:50PM, History 102 Mon, Wed, Fri 8:00AM-8:50AM, and Math 180 Tue, Thur 11:00AM-12:15PM with (again mandatory) recitation from Thur 8:00AM-8:50AM.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Metro College isn't going to work out, I have 8AM classes and I'm not capable of running on >4 hours of sleep with any regularity.

You have trouble with GREATER than 4 hours or sleep? I would have guessed <4 (less than 4 hours) would be more of an issue. Kids these days. ;)

It's not finalized yet, but my schedule as it is now is Campus Culture 100 (a mandatory class) Fri 1:00PM-2:15PM, Chemistry 201 Tue, Thur 5:30PM-6:45PM with mandatory recitation from Tue 7:00PM-7:50PM, Communications 201 Mon 5:30PM-8:15PM, English 101 Mon, Wed, Fri 12:00PM-12:50PM, History 102 Mon, Wed, Fri 8:00AM-8:50AM, and Math 180 Tue, Thur 11:00AM-12:15PM with (again mandatory) recitation from Thur 8:00AM-8:50AM.

Six classes. Of course that "Campus Culture 100" class is prolly some BS class, so five real classes. Is it a "quarter" system" or "semester system" at your college? What is a "FULL TIME" load? 3, 4, 5 or 6 classes? Point being, don't overload yourself, especially the first year.

Here is a valuable lesson: don't sign up for classes that meet before 10:00AM.

I shot for 2pm, but 10am was my, "never, Never, NEVER" cutoff.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why is everyone on the airplanes so humongous? There are two more flights this week. I can't take it anymore. :hurl:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I've started writing 10-page papers at 10pm. Due the next day. An 8am class would have really make that difficult.

sedrosken

Florida Man
You have trouble with GREATER than 4 hours or sleep? I would have guessed <4 (less than 4 hours) would be more of an issue. Kids these days. ;)

Typo. But then I figure you already guessed that. :grin:

Six classes. Of course that "Campus Culture 100" class is prolly some BS class, so five real classes. Is it a "quarter" system" or "semester system" at your college? What is a "FULL TIME" load? 3, 4, 5 or 6 classes? Point being, don't overload yourself, especially the first year.

Basically I was all but forced to take fifteen credit hours my first semester (yes, it does go by a semester system here), else I wouldn't graduate on time. I'm actually pretty happy with my final schedule, I should be able to easily find a work schedule to work around it.

I shot for 2pm, but 10am was my, "never, Never, NEVER" cutoff.

I figure that if I could do it in high school, I can still do it in college. At least for this sort of thing. I may not WANT to get up at 7AM or so, but if I have to do it then I have to do it. I figure it's pretty decent training for a 9-5 job. Most of the classes picked were basically my only option unless I wanted to be going to class at 10PM or so, and as much as I don't want to go at 8AM I really don't want to go at 10PM. I'm actually shooting for going to bed at 10PM with my current schedule.

Final schedule attached. No, Comm 201 lasting for nearly three hours isn't a typo -- it's the only meeting of it that I could get to mesh with my other classes. Probably should have gone for one of my alternates instead but hindsight is 20/20. At least I'll have yet another reason to hate Mondays.

schedule.png

Last edited:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
My only other advice, schedule wise (of course it's already TOO late) is to not schedule back-2-back classes with only 10 or 15 min between them. Two reasons. 1) Classes on opposite side of campus and now you have to practically run to next class, and/or can't stay a few minutes late to ask specific questions or suck-up to prof/TA. 2) No time to catch your breath between classes.

And I've always liked ONE 3-hour class per week. Depending on how prof runs class might be 1h20m-break-1h20m, or maybe just 2h20m then you are out. Or if prof just want to leave early you get to too. ;) Prolly 1/2 class will not come back after break anyways. And if grade is just midterm+final+paper you probably won't need to say for whole class.

You'll do fine. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. Stay ahead of the game and coast downhill. Of course I never did that. ;)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My only other advice, schedule wise (of course it's already TOO late) is to not schedule back-2-back classes with only 10 or 15 min between them. Two reasons. 1) Classes on opposite side of campus and now you have to practically run to next class, and/or can't stay a few minutes late to ask specific questions or suck-up to prof/TA. 2) No time to catch your breath between classes.

And I've always liked ONE 3-hour class per week. Depending on how prof runs class might be 1h20m-break-1h20m, or maybe just 2h20m then you are out. Or if prof just want to leave early you get to too. ;) Prolly 1/2 class will not come back after break anyways. And if grade is just midterm+final+paper you probably won't need to say for whole class.

You'll do fine. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. Stay ahead of the game and coast downhill. Of course I never did that. ;)

I don't ever remember less than four 3-hour classes per week as an undergrad and sometimes two in one day e.g. 8-11AM and 2-5PM.

Stereodude

Not really a
Does anyone in college follow this advice? I know I didn't.
Well, it all depends what you mean. I pulled one all-nighter early on in college and swore I would never do it again, and didn't ever do it again. That said, if an assignment was due in 2 weeks I tended to be doing it in the last few days. I certainly didn't knock them out in the first few days.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Does anyone in college follow this advice? I know I didn't.
For what it's worth whenever professors gave us assignments in advance I tended to finish them early. It was lots of fun watching everyone else with their hand up their behinds trying to finish things up before winter or spring break while I was more or less coasting.

I personally plan on following it. College costs too much for me not to. I only really have one shot at this, I need to make it count.
Same thing back when I went. My parents had a hard time paying what little they could. After growing up dirt poor in a NYC housing project I knew this was my one and only shot. I just couldn't afford to make it a four year party like lots of other kids did.

Well, it all depends what you mean. I pulled one all-nighter early on in college and swore I would never do it again, and didn't ever do it again. That said, if an assignment was due in 2 weeks I tended to be doing it in the last few days. I certainly didn't knock them out in the first few days.
I did my fair share of all nighters back in college (still do sometimes for work). My record was ~82 hours without sleep. Really busy week where I had a bunch of setbacks. Started getting up at around 9AM on Monday for a 10AM class, and finally ended not long after dinner Thursday. Not sure exactly when I finally passed out from exhaustion, but it was probably around 7PM or thereabouts. Slept about 14 hours and felt fine on Friday. Nothing to do that day, so I had a 3-day weekend to recuperate. I was actually hallucinating the last day.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I've learned a very sad news earlier this afternoon. One of my young collegue died during childbirth earlier this week. She was a lovely woman and everyone at the office was very fund of her. I wasn't particularly close to her, but enough to know what a great human being she was. I don't know if the baby survived or not. She leaves a husband and a three years-old daughter.

I have no other detail. I cannot understand how a woman can die during labor in a developped country in 2016.

I will return to the office next Monday since I've been on holiday for the past two weeks. I expect the atmosphere will be quite heavy.

ddrueding

Fixture
That is most unfortunate. My wife used to be an OB/GYN and has delivered many babies. When she came to this country she was shocked at the number of prospective mothers that decided to have their children in a place that wasn't a hospital. During the birth of our own child there were enough complications that a team of ICU nurses dedicated to baby delivery was in the room with us, ready to step in.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I've learned a very sad news earlier this afternoon. One of my young collegue died during childbirth earlier this week. She was a lovely woman and everyone at the office was very fund of her.

That's horrible news Coug. Several months ago a woman at my work was run over by a truck and killed. Early 40s. I had no interactions with her, and the whole story around it was very bizarre, but it does put things in perspective. Don't take things for granite and even a shitty day is better than being dead.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Guys - and in this case I really do mean males - you need a major reality check. In 2008, the maternal mortality ratio in the USA was 16.7 per 100,000; in other words, one woman died of complications from pregnancy or childbirth for every 6,000 live births. Even in the best countries, the ratio was one for every 20,000 live births.

I'm very sorry to hear about CougTek's colleague, but it is a sharp reminder that we shouldn't take childbearing - and by extension women - for granted.

Stereodude

Not really a
Wow, that's rough Coug... :frowner:

Be sure to refrain from telling childbirth jokes in the office when you get back. :bstd:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Guys - and in this case I really do mean males - you need a major reality check. In 2008, the maternal mortality ratio in the USA was 16.7 per 100,000; in other words, one woman died of complications from pregnancy or childbirth for every 6,000 live births. Even in the best countries, the ratio was one for every 20,000 live births.

I'm very sorry to hear about CougTek's colleague, but it is a sharp reminder that we shouldn't take childbearing - and by extension women - for granted.

That is surprising; and a good reminder.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
That is really sad. It should not happen at all in this country.
I wonder how many of the deaths Time alluded to were not in a hospital.
In my world, we still have mid-wives delivering babies. It's a terrifying thought.

ddrueding

Fixture
When I mentioned this topic to my wife, she proceeded to go down the list of things that are totally capable of killing a mother during childbirth even if you are at a hospital with full services. So yeah, don't do that.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
With all the available expertise and equipment today, if the risk is so high, I wonder what it was like in, say, the 10th century? I myself was born in my parents home, mom assisted by a midwife.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Coug, I never said it was recommended! Six decades ago, things were quite different. And the only ape in this forum is in Australia.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Alzenheimers really sucks. :(

My uncle died from it. Aunt and Uncle used to like in rural Arkansas and he would just wander off and leave the farm and the sheriff would end up picking him up off the road and taking him home. Forgot who his family was and started to become violent when presented with "strangers" (him family) that were here to take care of him. He went to a home and died 6 months later. Aunt has it now too. My mom can't even talk with her sister anymore because she doesn't remember who she is. Sad.

ddrueding

Fixture
My grandmother didn't recognize me for the last 3 months or so. She was still nice so long as you presented yourself as a nice stranger and didn't try to remind her of anything or treat her as more than that.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I've learned a very sad news earlier this afternoon. One of my young collegue died during childbirth earlier this week. She was a lovely woman and everyone at the office was very fund of her. I wasn't particularly close to her, but enough to know what a great human being she was. I don't know if the baby survived or not. She leaves a husband and a three years-old daughter.

I have no other detail. I cannot understand how a woman can die during labor in a developped country in 2016.

I will return to the office next Monday since I've been on holiday for the past two weeks. I expect the atmosphere will be quite heavy.

So I've had more info on my deceased co-worker today. She died two days after the birth of her second daughter (who is fine BTW). She was home and complained about stomach pain. They went (her and her family) to the hospital and then something (no idea) went wrong and she passed away.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend her funerals because all of her family lives far from here (6 hours car drive), so her service will happen there and it's scheduled for Wednesday. Someone in management (probably) decided to organize a voluntary contribution for a study fund for her newborn daughter. Not sure it's what will help her family the most at this time (help with the chores for her husband, alone with two very young children is in my view what would be the most helpful). The management wrote they'll match the employees' contribution for the study fund.

I will therefore postpone my plans to purchase new computer equipment this summer and I'll probably live quite poorly for the next few weeks, but I'll give all I can for this contribution. It will count as double since my employer will put as much as I will. I hope the amount we'll sum up will be quite large, so her family will see how much she was appreciated. It's more of a symbolic gesture than anything else, at least at this point in time, but if we can show how much we care about her, it might be a little bond that will help her family cope with grief. Just a little.

Sorry the probable many misspelled words in this message. I don't fell like Googling the terms I'm unsure how to write this evening.

sedrosken

Florida Man
My grandmother didn't recognize me for the last 3 months or so. She was still nice so long as you presented yourself as a nice stranger and didn't try to remind her of anything or treat her as more than that.

My great-grandmother and great-uncle always confused me for my dad. Weird, considering my dad was blonde growing up and I have very dark brown hair.