Something Random

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
It raining in the Valley of Fiery Hell (aka Phoenix metro area) tonight. 110 the day before and now light rain*. Dropped our low all the way down to 75...downright chilly for this time of the year.

*Rain in AZ in not like Florida or Washington state rain. Were talking very light drizzle, just enough to smear the dust that has accumulated on your windshield.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It raining in the Valley of Fiery Hell (aka Phoenix metro area) tonight. 110 the day before and now light rain*. Dropped our low all the way down to 75...downright chilly for this time of the year.

*Rain in AZ in not like Florida or Washington state rain. Were talking very light drizzle, just enough to smear the dust that has accumulated on your windshield.

It's better than nothing. I've been flooded more than once in an AZ September though.

fool

Learning Storage Performance
Oh, and Cougtek, you might be tickled to know that a small but growing proportion of the workers on London Underground now refer to unsalvageable things as that which is to be "given to the arm"

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
"unsalvageable things" ...are you talking about my old car? I got 350$ for it ; it's better than nothing.

I'll be a pedestrian for longer than I thought. The car seller won't have my new car before the middle of next week. They told me Thursday, a day before I was supposed to go get it. That's poor. What's poorer is that they won't provide me a car in the meanwhile. They say it is because of car insurances. I wasn't to please. The deal is quite good on the car when I'll receive it though, so I didn't throw a chair thru a window when I visited them to get clearer explanations.

LunarMist

Oh, and Cougtek, you might be tickled to know that a small but growing proportion of the workers on London Underground now refer to unsalvageable things as that which is to be "given to the arm"

I suppose that applies to me too - an unsalvageable thing. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My eye is slowly getting better. I've spent a tremendous amount of money on diagnostics that are supposed to be interpreted next week, but at the moment I no longer have what I would call persistent double vision. Instead, it's conditional. Basically, my vision seems normal unless I'm tracking something that's moving toward me on my left-hand side. My eye gets stuck back in its resting position, but if I close my eye for a moment, it re-sets and my vision is normal again. This is a substantial improvement.

ddrueding

Fixture
Brought the kid into work this evening so I could finish some things. She likes to point at out the things she has words for and name them. Most commonly this is "Dog", "Car", "Flower", and "Bird".

Tonight she pointed behind me and said "bird". "That's nice" I say, turning around to face a 3' tall wild turkey about 4' away, staring me down. "Yup, that's a bird." is all I can think to say while trying to remember how aggressive these things are and looking at some impressive talons.

It just turned and walked away.

LunarMist

I had a coyote in my back yard yesterday. And no, it wasn't chasing a roadrunner.

I have not seen them chase roadrunners much. The birds usually keep some distance and would fly further away if the coyotes got too close.
A coyote killed our cat Balloon many years ago. It was awful.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Coyotes are indeed pretty much assholes. They're kind of all over the place around here, too.
My aunt and uncle lost a beagle to an owl once, which is a laser-guided, death from above statement about the natural balance of life, I guess.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I had a coyote in my back yard yesterday. And no, it wasn't chasing a roadrunner.

Coyotes are indeed pretty much assholes. They're kind of all over the place around here, too.
My aunt and uncle lost a beagle to an owl once, which is a laser-guided, death from above statement about the natural balance of life, I guess.

Yep and yep to both above posts.

Plenty of coyotes around here as well of course. I almost ran one over while pulling into my driveway a few months ago. I live about a mile from open desert and see them all the time. Keeps the wild bunny rabbits in check.

The coyotes around here aren't assholes but the doves sure are. Yep. Doves. Birds. These assholes literally just land in the street right in front of your car and allow themselves to be run over. I kid you not. I've killed three in the last 6-9 months. I slow down, honk the horn but it doesn't do any good. I see dead roadkill doves every-single-god-damn-day-of-the-week. Every damn day. Crazy.

We have a lot of quayle around here as well but I couldn't run one over if I tried. Even when it's dad, mom, and 8 baby quayles they get the fuck out of the way real quick.

And the neighbor lady behind me came over last year to let us know that here little doggie was taken by an owl as well. Then fuckers are dangerous.

ddrueding

Fixture
Home. The wind can be pretty high, and water is fairly scarce, so I've gone with lower throw sprinkler heads to keep the water close to the ground.

ddrueding

Fixture
Are you actually allowed to use them?

So long as I don't run them "excessively" or during the day. One of the advantages of having so many sprinklers is that you can adjust them very accurately. I've also invested in a fairly high-end electronic controller; not only does it have a rain sensor but it also scales the total run time throughout the year based on weather trends.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
That's great!
You can get clothing real cheap at Goodwill. Then when you hit your ideal weight and can hold it there, buy whatever you like.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
That's a good problem to have. I'm stuck at 38".
Same here. Depending upon the make I can sometimes fit into a 36" waist but 38" is what I usually need. Trying to get back down to 30" like I was until my late 20s (sedentary job caused me to put on weight and ever since I've had trouble keeping it off).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Good: 32" waist. Down from 56".
Bad: Gotta buy a bunch of new pants.
A 32" waist for a 40-years-old man, especially one that has the frame to have once needed 56" pants, is borderline unhealthy. Of course, I haven't seen you in person, but that had me thinking about your eyesight problems and the possible relation with the kind of drastic diet you must be on to reach such a slim size. Are you sure your daily intake provides you with all the vitamins/proteins/lipids/minerals required to remain healthy?

Also don't forget that your body have taken bad habits during your early adult years and might not process food like someone who has always been skinny. There might be a reason beyond the lack of exercice behind the fact that you once weighted over 300lbs. You might need a little more than this or that than someone else because your body might not be as efficient to retrieve nutrients as another average human being.

This is just a thought I've had.

Despite the worries I have regarding your well being, congratulations for losing so much weight. It sure took (and still takes) a lot of will. I have a 34" waist myself. If someone would have told me that you would be slimmer than me ten years ago, I would not have believed it.